Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Napoli [Champions League] Tue 11th Dec @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 10th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W5 D7 L8

General Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 2167459 times
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,675 posts | 1054 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #37440: Nov 19, 2018 07:05:48 pm
      Nonsense.
      Every man and his dog knows we were reducing the wage bill.
      It almost lead to protests at the ground.
      Rodgers was being a bit economical with the truth, as was KK before him, because it is not the managers job to slate the owners.

Simple as that.
      You can try and spin it any way you like, but the bottom line was reducing the wage bill, because it was too high a percentage of turnover.
      Many of the players who left at the beginning of FSG's tenure were high earners, who were replaced with young players who could still do a job, but weren't on big money.
      The idea was always to bring in more performance related contracts, where players could make a lot of money in bonuses.

I have to question your knowledge of the cub if you don't even know this.
      Then again, it probably isn't on wiki.
      So Brendan Rodgers lied for no apparent reason, we spent a transfer fee.. added another player on the Wage bill whilst still paying Reina's Napoli wages... to reduce the wage bill? Yeah that is what we did because Swab said so on an internet forum.:f_tongueincheek:

In the meantime, I should reduce me rent, I guess I will rent a second place and sublet the first whilst paying half the sublet... would that make sense? No...  there is no way we got Mignolet on the wage bill + transfer fee to loan a player out! ridiculous! utter trash.

You really shouldn't embarrass yourself Swab, you questioned my knowledge on the club, but it is you knows very little. Here is my evidence.

Rodgers has said he took the pre-emptive step of signing Mignolet having been informed by Reina's representatives to expect an offer from Barcelona. That did not materialise after Victor Valdés opted to stay with the Spanish champions for another season and Reina, while confirming his interest in Barcelona, insists he told Rodgers he wanted to sign a new contract at Liverpool in the absence of a return to Spain.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/29/pepe-reina-disappointment-surprise-liverpool

After this we needed to make a choice between Reina or Mignolet, Reina went on loan to Napoli so he was not totally off the wages regardless. We weren't going to have either as a #2. Reina had already shown he wanted to leave, so his future was unclear so Mignolet got the nod and Reina got loaned out.
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018 07:17:44 pm by Ribapuru »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37441: Nov 19, 2018 07:18:24 pm
      So Brendan Rodgers lied for no apparent reason, we spent a transfer fee.. added another player on the Wage bill whilst still paying Reina's Napoli wages... to reduce the wage bill? Yeah that is what we did because Swab said so on an internet forum.
       :f_tongueincheek:

In the meantime, I should reduce me rent, I guess I will rent a second place and sublet the first whilst paying half the sublet... would that make sense? No...  there is no way we got Mignolet on the wage bill + transfer fee to loan a player out! ridiculous! utter trash.

Dear god, the lack of knowledge is actually frightening.
      First off, BR said a lot of things which turned out to be spin, as did KK and Hodgson.

The club finances were in a huge mess, players were sold to reduce the wage bill because at over 70% of turnover, and without European football, it was not sustainable.
      Clear so far?
      The club stated many times that we needed to reduce the wage bill, even saying; "we have players on champions league wages, with no champions league football, and we cannot afford for that to continue".
      Meireles, Maxi, Kuyt, Reina and others were all on big basic wages, and it needed to be reduced, as did the size of the squad.
      That's what happened, and your failure to find anything on wiki doesn't change that.

Secondly, Mignolet came here on less than half Reina's wages.
      The fact that you don't know how a players fee is spread over the course of his initial contract is the problem.
      You think we just pay £X million, and it goes on the accounts like that.
      It doesn't.
      The payment is spread over a number of years (regardless of how much is paid up front).
      The players worth is "amortised" over a period of time. (it's a form of depreciation)
      So you have a player on £150,000 a week goes out, and a player on £50,000 comes in, the purchase price is spread over 5 years in the accounts, with the players "book worth" declining as the contract progresses.
      A difference of £100,000 a week is £5 million over 1 season, so in less than 2 seasons, the transfer price is recouped, then even with the new wages, we pay less money over the course of the contract.
      It's not f**king rocket science.

For fucks sake, go and learn how contracts in football work before bothering me with this basic stuff.

As for your edit, more pish.
      Reina knew he was going to be moved on, so his PR team went to work, as did the clubs.
      In other words, the same thing that happens with almost every f**king transfer.

You really don't have a clue, do you.
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018 07:23:13 pm by Swab »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,294 posts | 1737 
      Reply #37442: Nov 19, 2018 07:21:50 pm
      So Brendan Rodgers lied for no apparent reason, we spent a transfer fee.. added another player on the Wage bill whilst still paying Reina's Napoli wages... to reduce the wage bill? Yeah that is what we did because Swab said so on an internet forum.:f_tongueincheek:

You really shouldn't embarrass yourself Swab, you questioned my knowledge on the club, but it is you knows very little. Here is my evidence.

Rodgers has said he took the pre-emptive step of signing Mignolet having been informed by Reina's representatives to expect an offer from Barcelona. That did not materialise after Victor Valdés opted to stay with the Spanish champions for another season and Reina, while confirming his interest in Barcelona, insists he told Rodgers he wanted to sign a new contract at Liverpool in the absence of a return to Spain.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/29/pepe-reina-disappointment-surprise-liverpool

After this we needed to make a choice between Reina or Mignolet, Reina went on loan to Napoli so he was not off totally off the wages regardless. We weren't going to have either as a #2.

He left to reduce the wage bill Ribs - you posting articles with the club reps (including BR) stating the contrary doesn’t change that one iota......it does suggest you might be little naive though.......(not a criticism).

Those 14 months from the end of the 2012 season to the closure of the window summer 2013 were not a high point - transparency wise - for FSG or the club and fans relationship.

They were still coming to terms with the game / league and the markets and dealt with a number of situations really badly - Kenny / Pepe / even Dempsey/Carroll......

Whether you think Pepe was on the slide or shouldn’t have hitched his skirt to Barca - no right minded football fan can dispute the Migs experiment was a disaster and a bad choice all round.
      Ribapuru

• 9,675 posts | 1054 
      Reply #37443: Nov 19, 2018 07:23:28 pm
      Dear god, the lack of knowledge is actually frightening.
      First off, BR said a lot of things which turned out to be spin, as did KK and Hodgson.

The club finances were in a huge mess, players were sold to reduce the wage bill because at over 70% of turnover, and without European football, it was not sustainable.
      Clear so far?
      The club stated many times that we needed to reduce the wage bill, even saying; "we have players on champions league wages, with no champions league football, and we cannot afford for that to continue".
      Meireles, Maxi, Kuyt, Reina and others were all on big basic wages, and it needed to be reduced, as did the size of the squad.
      That's what happened, and your failure to find anything on wiki doesn't change that.

Secondly, Mignolet came here on less than half Reina's wages.
      The fact that you don't know how a players fee is spread over the course of his initial contract is the problem.
      You think we just pay £X million, and it goes on the accounts like that.
      It doesn't.
      The payment is spread over a number of years (regardless of how much is paid up front).
      The players worth is "amortised" over a period of time. (it's a form of depreciation)
      So you have a player on £150,000 a week goes out, and a player on £50,000 comes in, the purchase price is spread over 5 years in the accounts, with the players "book worth" declining as the contract progresses.
      A difference of £100,000 a week is £5 million over 1 season, so in less than 2 seasons, the transfer price is recouped, then even with the new wages, we pay less money over the course of the contract.
      It's not f**king rocket science.

For fucks sake, go and learn how contracts in football work before bothering me with this basic stuff.
      Firstly, Reina was never on 150k, he was on 100k. Secondly, Liverpool paid some of his wages whilst he was on loan. Whilst it did trim the wage bill a little bit to loan out Reina rather than Mignolet, Reina would not have been loaned out had the manager thought he was a lot better than Mignolet, as you say "It's not f**king rocket science."
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37444: Nov 19, 2018 07:26:25 pm
      He left to reduce the wage bill Ribs - you posting articles with the club reps (including BR) stating the contrary doesn’t change that one iota......it does suggest you might be little naive though.......(not a criticism).

Those 14 months from the end of the 2012 season to the closure of the window summer 2013 were not a high point - transparency wise - for FSG or the club and fans relationship.

They were still coming to terms with the game / league and the markets and dealt with a number of situations really badly - Kenny / Pepe / even Dempsey/Carroll......

Whether you think Pepe was on the slide or shouldn’t have hitched his skirt to Barca - no right minded football fan can dispute the Migs experiment was a disaster and a bad choice all round.

I railed against it at the time, and still think highly incentivised contracts are a mistake for any but young players trying to force their way into the team or squad.

I could see the need to reduce wages, and although I didn't like it, I understood it.
      The argument then goes back to FSG not putting their own money in.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #37445: Nov 19, 2018 07:29:00 pm
      Out of interest which defenders do you rate as better than VVD, I assume you can easily name the 10.
      Shabs ask me near enough the same thing... I need not reply... Why..? because no matter who i say people are go to disagree so no point answering 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37446: Nov 19, 2018 07:29:16 pm
      Firstly, Reina was never on 150k, he was on 100k. Secondly, Liverpool paid some of his wages whilst he was on loan. Whilst it did trim the wage bill a little bit to loan out Reina rather than Mignolet, Reina would not have been loaned out had the manager thought he was a lot better than Mignolet, as you say "It's not f**king rocket science."

Whether it's 150k or 110k the same principles apply regarding accounting methods.

As does the amortisation of Reina's "book worth".

Seriously, you couldn't be more wrong, but I suspect you know that and are just wumming again.

I'm done with this, so you can go and wum someone else.
      Ribapuru

• 9,675 posts | 1054 
      Reply #37447: Nov 19, 2018 07:29:24 pm

In a sense it was trimming the wage bill, but I don't think many teams have 2 competing goalkeepers. Reina would not have been sold if Rodgers did not kneejerk are sign Mignolet based on would was likely to happen. If Reina was world class at the time like Alisson is now, he'd never have got loaned out to save a few quid, the fact is he was average around that time. FSG were tight but not stupid.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37448: Nov 19, 2018 07:30:05 pm
      Shabs ask me near enough the same thing... I need not reply... Why..? because no matter who i say people are go to disagree so no point answering

In other words, you have no idea but don't want to get shot down again, so you're refusing to answer.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #37449: Nov 19, 2018 07:32:17 pm
      What are the sources you are referring to, at this point I don't think we can just take your word for it, sorry.

Don't take my word Althought I have no reason to lie, look it up yourself
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018 08:06:10 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Ribapuru

• 9,675 posts | 1054 
      Reply #37450: Nov 19, 2018 07:35:01 pm
      Whether it's 150k or 110k the same principles apply regarding accounting methods.

As does the amortisation of Reina's "book worth".

Seriously, you couldn't be more wrong, but I suspect you know that and are just wumming again.

I'm done with this, so you can go and wum someone else.
      I'm not debating we had to lose a keeper to cut wage bill, I'm debating that you are putting across it is the reason we signed Mignolet. The reason we signed Mignolet was because we thought Reina was leaving, once we had two almost equal (or as we thought) goalkeepers it was obvious we would loan the one on the higher wage, but if Reina were performing better we wouldn't have loaned him out. Personally I think Reina was on the decline and Barcelona probably ask Valdes to stay on, Reina would have been a downgrade at that time. Mignolet was awful but Reina was not the answer either.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37451: Nov 19, 2018 07:39:50 pm
      I'm not debating we had to lose a keeper to cut wage bill, I'm debating that you are putting across it is the reason we signed Mignolet. The reason we signed Mignolet was because we thought Reina was leaving, once we had two almost equal (or as we thought) goalkeepers it was obvious we would loan the one on the higher wage, but if Reina were performing better we wouldn't have loaned him out. Personally I think Reina was on the decline and Barcelona probably ask Valdes to stay on, Reina would have been a downgrade at that time. Mignolet was awful but Reina was not the answer either.

No, you're not debating anything at all.
      You're bullshitting, as usual.
      When all this was going on, you hadn't even heard of Liverpool FC, so cut out the nonsense and the cut and paste jobs.
      You'll get a lot farther than you do with the bullshit approach.
      Ribapuru

• 9,675 posts | 1054 
      Reply #37452: Nov 19, 2018 07:42:59 pm
      I railed against it at the time, and still think highly incentivised contracts are a mistake for any but young players trying to force their way into the team or squad.

I could see the need to reduce wages, and although I didn't like it, I understood it.
      The argument then goes back to FSG not putting their own money in.
      To be honest, I was unhappy with Reina at that time and I was happy we were trying something new in goal, I couldn't care less about wages they were getting. It was a disaster and Mignolet was worse than Reina, but can you say at that time you would have rather loaned out Migniolet and kept Reina? At the time he came to us after a brilliant season where Reina just had the worst season out of a bad 2 or 3.
      Ribapuru

• 9,675 posts | 1054 
      Reply #37453: Nov 19, 2018 07:46:06 pm
      No, you're not debating anything at all.
      You're bullshitting, as usual.
      When all this was going on, you hadn't even heard of Liverpool FC, so cut out the nonsense and the cut and paste jobs.
      You'll get a lot farther than you do with the bullshit approach.
      Swab, you take a persons opinion, condescend it and swear at the poster.
      You're not a wise guy yourself. Instead of debating you just insult.
      Even if you don't agree you need to chill out before get a peptic ulcer or something.

These stats don't bullsh*t.

https://eplindex.com/16070/decline-pepe-reina-stats-analysis.html
      « Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018 07:50:19 pm by Ribapuru »
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #37454: Nov 19, 2018 07:54:37 pm
      Where do you rate VVD? 18th? 24th? etc...

Haven't given it much thought, out side the top 10, maybe even the top 15

Again there is no point me saying because who ever i name people here will rubbish them

There is possibly reasons you don't like him, whilst they aren't obvious to me it would still be interesting to know why you don't rate him.

Where have I ever said that I do not like VVD...?

And where have I said that I do not rate him...?

What I did say was that he was not in the top ten CB in the world and he is not as yet World Class

He will improve and become world class but he is not quite there yet
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,484 posts | 2041 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #37455: Nov 19, 2018 07:55:29 pm
      Google : 'Best centre backs in the world' and press images.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #37456: Nov 19, 2018 07:56:24 pm
      I've probably missed a couple out, but I'd say below defenders other than Ramos are around equal, but Van Dijk just edges it because he is younger which means his stamina will be a bit higher.

Kompany - 32
      Godin - 32
      Chiellini - 34
      Pique - 31
      Ramos - 32
      Alderweireld - 29
      Van Dijk - 27

But he does not read the game as well as the others you have named yet
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,565 posts | 971 
      Reply #37457: Nov 19, 2018 08:03:21 pm
      Dembele is quality and I'd have him here.

But Pulisic is still my no.1 preference.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #37458: Nov 19, 2018 08:05:02 pm
      Mags Look it up for yourself... You have trouble believing me even though I pointed out that two of the four sites name agreed with you and two site did not.

But what it proves is that different people/experts/pundits view things in different ways
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,484 posts | 2041 
      Reply #37459: Nov 19, 2018 08:07:51 pm
      Mags Look it up for yourself... You have trouble believing me even though I pointed out that two of the four sites name agreed with you and two site did not.

But what it proves is that different people/experts/pundits view things in different ways

Everything I looked up that wasn't called 'best CBs at the world cup' have him listed in the top 5 never mind the top 3.

I would suggest you check the dates on the articles you've read, I would bet they are 2017 or older
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37460: Nov 19, 2018 08:37:21 pm
      Swab, you take a persons opinion, condescend it and swear at the poster.
      You're not a wise guy yourself. Instead of debating you just insult.
      Even if you don't agree you need to chill out before get a peptic ulcer or something.

These stats don't bullsh*t.

https://eplindex.com/16070/decline-pepe-reina-stats-analysis.html

You don't really have an opinion of any worth though.
      What is it with you, where you think that just because you have an opinion, it's automatically worth something.
      It's not.
      It's been as plain as day since you first came onto this forum that you don't really have a clue.
      It's fine, if you're new to football, all you have to do is ask, but instead, you go in for this ridiculous posturing and try to bullshit your way through instead of just admitting that you don't know something or that you are new to football.

Now you're trying to throw out spurious stats on a save percentage that mean absolutely nothing without context, just so that you can continue this nonsense about Reina.

Here's all you need to know about Reina; he was one of the finest 'keepers we've had, whose form dipped a little at time, like all players form dips sometimes.
      He was exceptional, and would have been the Spain number 1 for years if Casillas hadn't been around.

Now you can keep bullshitting all you want, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of things about football that you can't find on wiki.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,270 posts | 1733 
      Reply #37461: Nov 19, 2018 08:44:15 pm
      Everything I looked up that wasn't called 'best CBs at the world cup' have him listed in the top 5 never mind the top 3.

I would suggest you check the dates on the articles you've read, I would bet they are 2017 or older

I wouldn't bother Mags.
      He's just going to spend page after page justifying why he isn't posting anything to back up what he posted, then try and move the goalposts.

I'm, pretty sure at this point that him and ribs are just playing a game to see who can wind people up with the most nonsense.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,703 posts | 875 
      Reply #37462: Nov 19, 2018 08:55:07 pm

How the f**king f**k is this f**king argument still going? I thought it was an amusing weird "one guy just has to be different for the sake of a stupid argument" kinda situation when I saw this yesterday. Now it's just f**king stupidity.

Who gives a f**king f**k what anyone else says. The eye test as a Liverpool centre half is all we need, isn't it? Look at our team pre/post VvD and you have all you need. He's world class, playing for a world class team.

This is stupid.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,896 posts | 70 
      Reply #37463: Nov 19, 2018 09:26:57 pm
      My Man Utd supporting mate said to me today and I quote “you scouse cu*ts signed the best Centre half in the world and we have to put up with Chris f**king Smalling and lindllof.”.
      From my mate this is nothing short of a miracle.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,817 posts | 2968 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #37464: Nov 19, 2018 09:48:54 pm
      But he does not read the game as well as the others you have named yet

You've just made that up.

You haven't got a f**king clue.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 666 posts | 150 
      Reply #37465: Nov 19, 2018 09:58:54 pm
      Don't mind me

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,294 posts | 1737 
      Reply #37466: Nov 19, 2018 10:00:34 pm

He f***in’ read that alright......for the world’s 11th-20th best CB 🤣

https://twitter.com/theanfieldwrap/status/1064634995363536897?s=21
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #37467: Nov 19, 2018 10:01:27 pm

Unlike what people think, I am not here to
      a) Wind people up
      b) make Friends or Enemies

Why i am here is to do what anyone else is here to do and that is to give my opinion.
      Like it or not I stand by everything that I have said
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,817 posts | 2968 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #37468: Nov 19, 2018 10:22:04 pm

Be careful not to stand in it.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,484 posts | 2041 
      Reply #37469: Nov 19, 2018 10:51:51 pm
      Unlike what people think, I am not here to
      a) Wind people up
      b) make Friends or Enemies

Why i am here is to do what anyone else is here to do and that is to give my opinion.

I literally cannot find the articles you've claimed to have read. I've looked for 20 minutes. They don't exist or I'm not searching for what you searched for.

Quick Reply