Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4207566 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #39882: Jul 05, 2019 03:00:25 pm
      Not keen. Just asking.

I tend to learn from past experience. Some go full circle again and again with those rose tinted glasses. Remember all this about Ojo.

Injuries aside, he's 19 years old now. Some top players break through at 16 so this is his critical make or break season coming up then. Would love another Michael Owen though.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 329 posts | 62 
      Reply #39883: Jul 05, 2019 03:07:40 pm
      So much hype about Brewster, but some do love to hype up the youth players. We've been here a dozen times before. All of our forward / attacking players have been incredibly talented with the potential to be world class.. or so we are told..

Then we never see them again. Loaned out forever and eventually sold.

Why is Brewster any different? If he is as deadly a finisher as I've read on here, then why haven't we seen him? He's not young.

Some deserve the hype I remember mellor was the best goal scorer I have seen in the reserves.broke all sorts of records but what with his weight and injuries he never fulfilled his potential. Heard a lot of good things about this kid though so heres hoping.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39884: Jul 05, 2019 03:07:53 pm
      having another season where miraculously the front three stay fit all season again, etc etc

We lost Bobbi for the end of last season, never stopped us winning Big ears, and we never dropped points when he was out, Origi was outstanding. ;-)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39885: Jul 05, 2019 03:09:06 pm
      He's 19 and has missed a lot after having bad injuries.

Why are you so keen to run him down?

this.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #39886: Jul 05, 2019 03:23:14 pm
      Not keen. Just asking.

I tend to learn from past experience. Some go full circle again and again with those rose tinted glasses. Remember all this about Ojo.

Injuries aside, he's 19 years old now. Some top players break through at 16 so this is his critical make or break season coming up then. Would love another Michael Owen though.

There is no "past experience".
      Each case is individual and different.

If he gets his chance it'll be because Klopp thinks he's good enough, past players notwithstanding.

Nor is it a "critical make or break season", because he is just 19 years old.
      The idea that it's make or break time at 19 is ridiculous.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39887: Jul 05, 2019 03:27:12 pm
      So much hype about Brewster, but some do love to hype up the youth players. We've been here a dozen times before. All of our forward / attacking players have been incredibly talented with the potential to be world class.. or so we are told..

Why is Brewster any different? If he is as deadly a finisher as I've read on here, then why haven't we seen him? He's not young.

He has been injured for a year, and I have no doubt he would have made his senior debut last season if he was fit.

I have seen him a good few times for U23's and U19's, and he was a very good striker for his age. Definitely an alternative to Firmino, but nothing abnormally standout like your Sterling, B.Silva, Sancho etc. However, I do agree with others, he does look to be a natural finisher.

I'm not on the boat as the others that are hyping him up as we should all know the difficulty in transitioning from U23/19's to elite senior level is. I am just waiting to see how he performs in senior games before talking about him tbh!
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2019 03:31:34 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #39888: Jul 05, 2019 03:27:20 pm
      Some deserve the hype I remember mellor was the best goal scorer I have seen in the reserves.broke all sorts of records but what with his weight and injuries he never fulfilled his potential. Heard a lot of good things about this kid though so heres hoping.

Let's not forget that playing too much (first team) at a young age can have a detrimental effect on players later in their career.

Perhaps if Fowler and Owen had been nursed through their early years, and used more sparingly, their careers would have turned out differently.

Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 329 posts | 62 
      Reply #39889: Jul 05, 2019 03:46:04 pm
      Let's not forget that playing too much (first team) at a young age can have a detrimental effect on players later in their career.

Perhaps if Fowler and Owen had been nursed through their early years, and used more sparingly, their careers would have turned out differently.

Depends on the player Ronaldo was 18 when he made his debut by 19 he was a regular at united and hasn't really struggled with any injuries throughout his career. Owen is well know to have been the worst trainer and didnt look after himself very well as didnt Mellor. Even though hes had injuries I think maybe like Gerrard they maybe growth related so let's see what next season brings.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #39890: Jul 05, 2019 04:07:49 pm
      Depends on the player Ronaldo was 18 when he made his debut by 19 he was a regular at united and hasn't really struggled with any injuries throughout his career. Owen is well know to have been the worst trainer and didnt look after himself very well as didnt Mellor. Even though hes had injuries I think maybe like Gerrard they maybe growth related so let's see what next season brings.

Looking after themselves is part of the nurturing process though, or should be.
      Eating properly, getting enough rest, training properly all contribute to a players longevity.
      Back then, the club didn't pay much attention to that side of things.

I read recently that after joining utd, a couple of the first things Ronaldo did were to hire a personal trainer/advisor and a nutritionist and chef/cook.
      It can help immensely.

I'm sure the club has moved on now, and understands the importance of things other than football training to increase longevity and minimise injury risks.

It's really the same with all young players; wait and see.
      But if Klopp thinks he's ready, then I'll go with that.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #39891: Jul 05, 2019 04:14:58 pm
      Until he PROVES otherwise, Brewster should be nothing more than a depth player this coming season getting FA/League cup games and the last few mins of non-cup games where we are winning comfortably. Going into the season expecting him to be a regular replacement for the front 3 when needed is dangerous. We are not rebuilding, we are a team contending for multiple trophies, so i don't agree with any idea of "we don't need to get anyone up front because we have Brewster".
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #39892: Jul 05, 2019 04:28:27 pm
      Until he PROVES otherwise, Brewster should be nothing more than a depth player this coming season getting FA/League cup games and the last few mins of non-cup games where we are winning comfortably. Going into the season expecting him to be a regular replacement for the front 3 when needed is dangerous. We are not rebuilding, we are a team contending for multiple trophies, so i don't agree with any idea of "we don't need to get anyone up front because we have Brewster".

Spot on!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #39893: Jul 05, 2019 04:55:56 pm

That certainly depends on how he progresses. Klopp sees more of him than you or I, so I'd guess there was a reason he was on the bench for some of our Champion's League games. He is obviously highly thought of and all indications are that Klopp thinks he's good enough to be a first team player once he's up to speed. So if he's as good as Klopp believes he can be, then why would we try to go get another player that is going to sit on the bench behind Origi and Brewster? That's just silly.

I honestly don't see us buying anyone this window unless something comes along that we cannot pass up. With everyone healthy, we have a pretty deep and very competent squad. I mean we were hit by serious injuries this year and still managed 97 points and Big Ears. I think we are ok.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,192 posts | 833 
      Reply #39894: Jul 05, 2019 05:05:27 pm
      Not keen. Just asking.

And some top players break through after the age of 24 (aka Van Dijk, Luca Toni, etc...)

make or break season for any young player is when he is physically matured.
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #39895: Jul 05, 2019 05:31:38 pm
      That certainly depends on how he progresses. Klopp sees more of him than you or I, so I'd guess there was a reason he was on the bench for some of our Champion's League games. He is obviously highly thought of and all indications are that Klopp thinks he's good enough to be a first team player once he's up to speed. So if he's as good as Klopp believes he can be, then why would we try to go get another player that is going to sit on the bench behind Origi and Brewster? That's just silly.

I honestly don't see us buying anyone this window unless something comes along that we cannot pass up. With everyone healthy, we have a pretty deep and very competent squad. I mean we were hit by serious injuries this year and still managed 97 points and Big Ears. I think we are ok.

I agree we are a deep and competent squad, but the one area i want a new quality add is wing, because i don't think Origi is good enough in that position as to me he is better centrally. When one of Mane or Salah needs a game off, i am not comfortable putting Brewster (or Origi) out there getting those starting minutes. We missed the title by 2 points (City had the GD so we would have needed 99 to win it), so every game is too important to go at it with an unproven 19yo kid potentially having to start or be relied upon off the bench in big games.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39896: Jul 05, 2019 05:33:39 pm
      We lost Bobbi for the end of last season, never stopped us winning Big ears, and we never dropped points when he was out, Origi was outstanding. ;-)

Fair point, but you know what I mean, we were quite lucky with injuries to the forwards last season, can't bank on that again.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3405 
      Reply #39897: Jul 05, 2019 06:55:40 pm

He was due to break through last season but he got a serous injury - there is a reason why Klopp did everything in his power to endure he didn’t leave to go to Germany
      rossyred

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #39898: Jul 05, 2019 07:25:27 pm
      Gaffer usually likes his signings in quite early which makes me think we could be waiting for one of the many comps to finish before tying something down .
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #39899: Jul 05, 2019 07:48:08 pm

We've got cover at the back and in midfield and that was where we had injuries last year, I still think we did well on the injury mind. But across our front three imagine losing Mo and Firmino for a long spell and tell me we are still going to get near to 97 points. Origi and Shaq came on for the Barca game and what a miracle of a performance it was but over a 10-12 game span I would not like our chances. As for the idea that it's silly to buy players who are only going to sit on the bench, how about a cup run or two. We've literally thrown the towel in on the cups because the squad hasn't enough depth so the drop off to the likes of Sturridge, Moreno, Lovren, Clyne etc was too great. Bonkers if we don't sign anyone. Now is the time to strengthen, city aren't resting on their laurels so why should we? don't risk falling back into the pack.
      rossyred

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #39900: Jul 05, 2019 07:50:57 pm
      We've got cover at the back and in midfield and that was where we had injuries last year, I still think we did well on the injury mind. But across our front three imagine losing Mo and Firmino for a long spell and tell me we are still going to get near to 97 points. Origi and Shaq came on for the Barca game and what a miracle of a performance it was but over a 10-12 game span I would not like our chances. As for the idea that it's silly to buy players who are only going to sit on the bench, how about a cup run or two. We've literally thrown the towel in on the cups because the squad hasn't enough depth so the drop off to the likes of Sturridge, Moreno, Lovren, Clyne etc was too great. Bonkers if we don't sign anyone. Now is the time to strengthen, city aren't resting on their laurels so why should we? don't risk falling back into the pack.

Business will get done be patient
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #39901: Jul 05, 2019 08:58:15 pm
      So...any gossip or rumors?

🦗
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39902: Jul 05, 2019 09:06:02 pm

Ceballos? :)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #39903: Jul 05, 2019 09:41:24 pm
      Just presuming but as an outgoing surely Clyney must be off somewhere? Interesting to see what his value in the market would be. It's in all honesty probably halved over the last 18 months.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #39904: Jul 05, 2019 09:45:51 pm

I hope not on the terms Madrid are offering. We're better than those cu*ts right now and I cant be arsed (and I hope the club feel the same) dancing to their tune.

F**k that buy back sh*t off.

Quick Reply