Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4178891 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40089: Jul 18, 2019 11:52:35 am
      The squad is in good shape then. The way he sees it.

So must he now prove to those of us who believe "the drop in quality from the bench is severe" that it won't be the case?

I think he may get lots of stick from those in this camp should he fail to prove that. Possibly for those marginal results if they come.
      Agree. He tried to explain in the article about having world class here and world class there isn't so easy. (But they are working on it).

So sounds like maybe one new player, if that . I assume that is either a goalkeeper (depending on Mignolet) or a left back.
      « Last Edit: Jul 18, 2019 05:50:09 pm by Robby The Z »
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #40090: Jul 18, 2019 01:01:57 pm
      I think the key man this season will be Ox. We've clearly missed goals from midfield and he was getting those before he got inured. If he is back to that level this season, I would tend to agree with Klopp that there isn't a pressing need for big signings. Ox can play right of the front three, allowing to rotate Salah and/or Mane, or just behind them in AM role.

Rest of the team is very settled and very strong in every position so no need to risk destabilizing it.

Looking at the bench, assuming Fab and Hendo are regular mid starters, having Gini, Keita, Shaq, Lallana, Clyne, Milner, Brewster, Origi, Matip or Gomez...depth looks very good too. I honestly wouldn't mind a class striker to replace Studge if the right player came along but that's about it.

Disaster would be if Ox got injured or he is in and out trying to get back to his best. The missing piece of the puzzle this year was the goals from midfield when the front three had their "drought" ad that, in my opinion, was the biggest factor in missing out on the title.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #40091: Jul 18, 2019 01:36:17 pm
      I think the key man this season will be Ox. We've clearly missed goals from midfield and he was getting those before he got inured. If he is back to that level this season, I would tend to agree with Klopp that there isn't a pressing need for big signings. Ox can play right of the front three, allowing to rotate Salah and/or Mane, or just behind them in AM role.

Rest of the team is very settled and very strong in every position so no need to risk destabilizing it.

Looking at the bench, assuming Fab and Hendo are regular mid starters, having Gini, Keita, Shaq, Lallana, Clyne, Milner, Brewster, Origi, Matip or Gomez...depth looks very good too. I honestly wouldn't mind a class striker to replace Studge if the right player came along but that's about it.

Disaster would be if Ox got injured or he is in and out trying to get back to his best. The missing piece of the puzzle this year was the goals from midfield when the front three had their "drought" ad that, in my opinion, was the biggest factor in missing out on the title.
      Pre injury, Ox's speed threat opened up the field because defenders backed off, threatened by his speed, similar to how defenses give Mane space outside the box.
      Ox had the stones to carry the ball up through and past the mids forcing the back line to commit to him, freeing up our front three for odd man breaks. Fast break football at its best. The Spring of 2018 was LFC at its best offensively, with Ox leading the charge....with Mo and Mane playing unselfish ball on these breaks.
      If Ox was healthy and Mo didn't go down, LFC would have owned Real Madrid in Kiev.....IMHO.

My hope was that Keita would fill a similar role.....but....not so much.
      I'm thinking Ox's minutes will come at the expense of Keita's.
      Given Klopp's resolve to limit goals, I doubt we'll see both keita and Ox on the field together...unless the Reds are getting walloped and LFC needs to go all-offense.
      With so many midfielder options from a group with so many different strengths, Jürgen will be a mad scientist concocting different groupings depending on the opposition.

Regarding the front 3 plus Origi and Shaqiri, should we ignore that Klopp essentially set Shaqiri to the side in the second half of the season?
      Bad attitude?
      Loss of confidence?
      Injury?
      Origi earned 4th man minutes?
      All of the above?

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #40092: Jul 18, 2019 02:08:37 pm
      I doubt we'll see both keita and Ox on the field together

I tend to agree. Saying that, we haven't really had a chance to experiment with this. If Fab is protecting the defense, having both might provide potent. Depends on how both get back to their best this season.

Bad attitude?
      Loss of confidence?
      Injury?
      Origi earned 4th man minutes?

There was a good bit of analysis in the Echo earlier in the year that suggested it was unrelated to attitude but rather drop in form. I probably agree, he wasn't tracking back as much as we want from midfielders and he wasn't getting into the best positions like he did when he had his good run. He's still a quality bench player so it's a good headache.

Origi impressed me with how much he improved in second half of the season. I still wouldn't put him as a starter unless Firminho got injured, and even then I think I would prefer a quality replacement for Studge. Absent a newcomer, Origi would do a job I reckon.

We need a few things going right for us this season. Similarly injury free season to front three, Ox getting back to best and a bit of luck. Other than that, this is the best equipped LFC side I've seen since 1990 to win the league - with only rival potentially being that of 2009 runners up side.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #40093: Jul 18, 2019 04:18:09 pm
      It's always a gamble whether you sign a player for £100 million or promote youth instead.

However if we promote our talented youngsters and they integrate well we could soon become the most dominant club in world football as our squad will have huge depth of quality.

Be careful with the £100m. Some will tell you we can get a Hazard quality to improve our bench for that price. So it's not a gamble. Even if it's a gamble it will still be worth it. It's better to gamble than to "sit still" and allow other clubs to improve and add quality. It's worth every penny if we bring home the league title. £200m or £7b. All worth it. I'm sure there are fans who think this way.

And what we have is never good enough. Must constantly improve the squad. That bunch who won us number six, some are not good enough. Needs to be axed. Some players can't be trusted. Even the legend. Not proven. Rhian. One guy keeps back passing the entire season but lifted number six. That same idiot who played right back and we dropped points. Yawn.

I want to see our bench and youths succeed. They're all good enough for me. I get excited to see Adam, Ox, Shaq, Harry Wilson, Rhian play. I really hope they succeed to prove some people wrong. Not referring to you. Support your own players! Don't put them down!
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #40094: Jul 18, 2019 04:28:49 pm
      This may sound silly but i think that our bench has a lot of room for the players to improve and for them to become top players where as Citiehs doesn't as much. If that happens then it's a good thing but i believe the gamble comes to light if we get a load of injuries and those players either just don't improve or perform. Time will tell but we are very strong already.

I can't lie though and would love a big signing to get excited about
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40095: Jul 18, 2019 05:07:38 pm
      I tend to agree. Saying that, we haven't really had a chance to experiment with this. If Fab is protecting the defense, having both might provide potent. Depends on how both get back to their best this season.

Sorry to pick out just one part of your post, but this bit stood out.
      I can see us playing both against the bus parkers.
      Both can defend, both can pass, both can break the lines running, and both can shoot.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40096: Jul 18, 2019 06:10:42 pm

And what we have is never good enough. Must constantly improve the squad. That bunch who won us number six, some are not good enough. Needs to be axed. Some players can't be trusted. Even the legend. Not proven. Rhian. One guy keeps back passing the entire season but lifted number six. That same idiot who played right back and we dropped points. Yawn.

I want to see our bench and youths succeed. They're all good enough for me. I get excited to see Adam, Ox, Shaq, Harry Wilson, Rhian play. I really hope they succeed to prove some people wrong. Not referring to you. Support your own players! Don't put them down!

We’ve just won our first trophy in 8 years, it’s not like we’re drunk on success. You could quite reasonably argue that we have not been good enough for the last 29 years so I hardly think it’s criminal to hold to a view that spending a few quid on a couple of decent players is unusual.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40097: Jul 18, 2019 06:20:09 pm
      We’ve just won our first trophy in 8 years, it’s not like we’re drunk on success. You could quite reasonably argue that we have not been good enough for the last 29 years so I hardly think it’s criminal to hold to a view that spending a few quid on a couple of decent players is unusual.

I completely understand where you're coming from mate.
      I'd just say that as we've improved, so it becomes more difficut to find players who can further improve us.
      Not just talent-wise, but they have to have the right mentality.

Klopp hsn't ruled out signing players, they just have to be the right ones.
      If the right player is not there, he's prepared to wait, as he's shown before.

Either way, there's no doubt in my mind that he has planned the season as well or better than anyone else could.

I'm sure we'd all like to see a couple or 3 being brought in, but I'm not going to stress about it.
      We hve a lot of options. Maybe some could be better options, but no team is ever perfect.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40098: Jul 18, 2019 06:35:54 pm

I'm sure we'd all like to see a couple or 3 being brought in, but I'm not going to stress about it.
      We hve a lot of options. Maybe some could be better options, but no team is ever perfect.

We’re trying to wrestle the title from a team who pretty much have been perfect the past two seasons. I know they have a mental block when it comes to Europe but domestically they’ve just put together the two greatest seasons in English history. It’s gonns take one hell of an effort to turn them over. I look at the extra fixtures and the travel and wonder if we can be as good again next season, given that we possibly have to be better to get past City. Time will tell plus we’ve got a couple more weeks till the window shuts do we’ll see.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40099: Jul 18, 2019 07:08:49 pm
      Spent some time looking through various media outlets posts on our potential signing. SO far I have gleamed we are definitely signing Couthino and we are also definitely not signing Couthino. Couthino has been told not to come back and Jürgen has been told not to take him back.
      Its a measure of how well locked down we are now because I would suggest 99% of the stuff out there is pure fantasy. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40100: Jul 18, 2019 07:12:10 pm
      We’re trying to wrestle the title from a team who pretty much have been perfect the past two seasons. I know they have a mental block when it comes to Europe but domestically they’ve just put together the two greatest seasons in English history. It’s gonns take one hell of an effort to turn them over. I look at the extra fixtures and the travel and wonder if we can be as good again next season, given that we possibly have to be better to get past City. Time will tell plus we’ve got a couple more weeks till the window shuts do we’ll see.

to beat last season is just going to be an incredible ask isn't it. I really haven't a clue who we are going to sign but so far it looks like no more than replacements for Moreno and possibly Sturridge unless Brewster is his replacement. We may lose Mignolet and possibly Lovren but I am sure we are prepared for all eventualities
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40101: Jul 18, 2019 08:50:24 pm
      I dont agree with the policy. This to me is the perfect opportunity to strengthen again.

It seems Klopp and the club think differently. I guess at this point they have earned our trust that they know what they're doing.

Once again I'll stress that I dont agree, but I'm trying to see past it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40102: Jul 18, 2019 09:34:29 pm
      I dont agree with the policy. This to me is the perfect opportunity to strengthen again.

It seems Klopp and the club think differently. I guess at this point they have earned our trust that they know what they're doing.

Think it's more a case of wanting the right player rather than sitting on our laurels mate.

So, although I agree with you, Klopp has shown the importance of getting the player he wants.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40103: Jul 18, 2019 09:37:06 pm
      Think it's more a case of wanting the right player rather than sitting on our laurels mate.

So, although I agree with you, Klopp has shown the importance of getting the player he wants.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesnalton/2019/07/12/liverpool-transfer-rumours-media-strategy/#52baa123f9c5
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #40104: Jul 18, 2019 09:54:07 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40105: Jul 18, 2019 10:11:23 pm

just be patient we have now developed a wonderfully successful player acquisition dept. Seriously I think we will be stronger by the start of the league programme ,we now do business the correct way again.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40106: Jul 18, 2019 10:15:25 pm

Yeah I agree with that. But I think it comes down to Klopp believing he doesn't need much more for the squad. If the squad was weaker I think we would enter the market.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40107: Jul 18, 2019 10:18:30 pm
      just be patient we have now developed a wonderfully successful player acquisition dept. Seriously I think we will be stronger by the start of the league programme ,we now do business the correct way again.

I'm not feeling impatient. From what Klopp has said we wont be doing much if anything at all. For the coming season I disagree but he knows better than me.

Little old me doesn't agree but I doubt anyone at LFC will be losing sleep about it.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #40108: Jul 18, 2019 10:51:56 pm
      Klopp hasn't ruled out signing players, they just have to be the right ones.
      If the right player is not there, he's prepared to wait, as he's shown before.

I think there will be some of us who believe we should just gamble a few million and be surprised by the outcome rather than waiting. On the premise that the more you try the more hit rate you get. What if you wait and the player you finally sign isn't the right one? So we should just keep buying for a better peace of mind.

Yes it worries some of us but the converse is also true. The more you buy the higher the miss rates especially each is a hasty buy. But anyway, some fans prefer we gamble. I am deffo not for it. I still believe our legend can get better next year. That's already quite a good cover for our front three.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #40109: Jul 18, 2019 11:42:25 pm
      The important thing when buying any player is that he fits in with the rest of the squad.We saw what the players and the rest of the club did after the Barcelona and Spurs matches,total unity.We cannot afford to lose that unity on some prima donna who thinks he is better than the rest of the squad.I  say well done Jürgen for treading carefully and just not rushing in and buying any clown,we can leave those sort of impulse buys to Manure.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #40110: Jul 19, 2019 06:30:39 am
      We need cover for Robbo a proper left back not a makeshift cover in Milner.

We need cover for the front 3 of equal talent or near enough to challenge.

We also have a ton of cash so spending should not be an issue.

We are very close to getting there let's not miss out again for sentimental reasons and promotion of good but untested youth players. They will have their chance in league and fa cups.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40111: Jul 19, 2019 08:42:23 am
      We need cover for Robbo a proper left back not a makeshift cover in Milner.

We need cover for the front 3 of equal talent or near enough to challenge.

We also have a ton of cash so spending should not be an issue.

We are very close to getting there let's not miss out again for sentimental reasons and promotion of good but untested youth players. They will have their chance in league and fa cups.

This, nail on head, we have money, we are very very close to have a complete squad so lets spend a bit on the few remaining areas, LB and another top class forward, and we'll be set for years to come, especially with all the promising youngsters coming through.

Quick Reply