Trending Topics

Next match: Dortmund v LFC [Friendly] Fri 19th Jul @ 1:00 am
      University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA

Today is the 16th of July and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W6 D0 L1

General Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 2372523 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2403 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40150: Jul 10, 2019 03:28:21 pm
      Mate, PSG would be significantly better without him, as no manager dares to actually play to tactical strengths but to the player power, particuly Neymar.

The thing is though, he's spent a large part of the last couple of seasons out injured, and the fact remains they performed worse without him. Tuchel had plenty of opportunity to play to tactical strengths without Neymar.

you talk about consistent performers, but I can't name one big game he was the standout player.

It's not the player's fault if you don't have a great memory.

He was MOTM when Barcelona achieved arguably their biggest comeback of all time - you can try to remember which one that was. He's been MOTM in the El Clássico. He's repeatedly scored against Atlético Madrid. He's scored in the Champions League final, the Confederations Cup final, the Olympic Games final, the Brazilian Cup final, the Libertadores final, the Spanish Cup final, and that's just going off the top of my head. When Barça won the Champions League, he scored three times in the semifinals vs Bayern and also three times vs PSG in the quarter finals before that. He's the highest scoring Brazilian in the history of the Champions League, and there have been some half-decent ones before him.

We outclassed them at home IMO, and he didn't have a sniff all game

True, and then he was MOTM in Paris. You can't just cherry pick what suits your argument
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,802 posts | 2403 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40151: Jul 10, 2019 03:33:54 pm
      I'd prefer Asension from real. Can play everywhere up front.

We're supposedly actually interested in Asensio. Some rumours going around about that, not sure if even remotely reliable though
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts | 72 
      Reply #40152: Jul 10, 2019 04:57:20 pm
      Neymar is a talented player, but he also seems to have gotten super fragile when it comes to injuries (I think this is part of the reason why he is always going to the ground so easy), he would be super expensive both in terms of the transfer fee but also his weekly wages and top of that he also seems to poison the atmosphere when things are not going his way.

We don't need that at the club. I like his talent and can't deny it, but all the rest is just negatives from his salary to his injury prone status and his questionable attitudes. 
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,713 posts | 758 
      Reply #40153: Jul 10, 2019 05:47:14 pm
      Looking like we’re not going to be doing a huge amount this window then.

Surprising if you ask me and one I hope we don’t regret next season.
      AZPatriot
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,784 posts | 1653 
      Reply #40154: Jul 10, 2019 05:57:19 pm

Part of it could be that the bigger names have not moved yet so the domino effect has yet to happen. It could simply be the fact that we are waiting on the sidelines until things shake out. In comparison to almost all the bigger clubs in Europe we're in tip top shape and can bide our time for the right opportunity.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #40155: Jul 10, 2019 06:14:23 pm

Klopp means it when he talks about developing players. He believes many of our current  players can still improve (and will). Ox, Lallana, Gomez, Naby, Shaq can all have a much bigger role this season. Divock too. That doesn't county any young players like Brewster. Really only two backup players leaving. Don't forget limits for UEFA and EPL registration re players developed in country and at the club.

The notion of not buying established first team players is not so unusual in it's logic, just in terms of precedent, but the way Klopp operates seems to be working well for us. And of course he's not opposed to spending per se, just doesn't seem to be doing it this window.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,297 posts | 1815 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #40156: Jul 10, 2019 07:22:53 pm

Pretty much been flagged up for ages that we won't be doing much
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #40157: Jul 10, 2019 07:32:08 pm
      « Last Edit: Jul 10, 2019 07:42:12 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1986 
      Reply #40158: Jul 10, 2019 07:34:20 pm
      Pretty much been flagged up for ages that we won't be doing much

Still hoping we will sign that one attacking player to challenge Mane and Salah.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,590 posts | 1233 
      Reply #40159: Jul 10, 2019 09:46:08 pm
      Those two Pepe tweets above sum it up, nobody knows!

I’ve been watching some of Pepe’a performances and he looks a bit lightweight for the prem to me
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40160: Jul 11, 2019 08:31:54 am

None of them know anything. I find it very hard to believe Dominic King from the Daily Mail would have any kind of inside info on our transfer business, or any business for that matter. In fact, given it’s a player from the French League, I’d say the French media are in more of a position to know what’s going on.
      Can’t imagine for a second that when there is talk of a player the club think “damn, we need to feed Dominic King some info”.

Just a big game of wait and see.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,311 posts | 80 
      Reply #40161: Jul 11, 2019 08:34:50 am
      Still dont know why were not interested in zaha .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #40162: Jul 11, 2019 04:23:15 pm
      Still dont know why were not interested in zaha .

Palace wanting 80mill might have something to do with it.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,783 posts | 107 
      Reply #40163: Jul 11, 2019 07:10:22 pm
      Palace wanting 80mill might have something to do with it.

90mill is way too much
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,312 posts | 293 
      Reply #40164: Jul 11, 2019 07:40:46 pm

Agree. For 100M i'd go somewhere else.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 780 posts | 59 
      Reply #40165: Jul 11, 2019 08:22:20 pm
      Agree. For 100M i'd go somewhere else.

I second that, theres no way hes worth 110M

WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      • up the reds
      Reply #40166: Jul 11, 2019 11:49:03 pm
      Klopp post-match: "The transfer market is open. We will see what we do, but i dont think it will be the biggest transfer window of all time."

The likes of Brewster, Ki Jana Hoever and the return of chamberlain will save us millions in my opinion maybe hence why we’re in for a quiet window? No major upgrades needed either only cover for left back and for the forwards.
      harrydunn08

• 5,249 posts | 652 
      Reply #40167: Jul 12, 2019 02:24:13 am
      The likes of Brewster, Ki Jana Hoever and the return of chamberlain will save us millions.

Sorry to pick out a small piece of your post, but saving money shouldn't be our goal.  Our primary target should be lifting our 1st league trophy in 30 years, and if it cost 100M to do that  I'd consider it money well spent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,470 posts | 3654 
      Reply #40168: Jul 12, 2019 08:22:54 am
      Klopp post-match: "The transfer market is open. We will see what we do, but i dont think it will be the biggest transfer window of all time."

The likes of Brewster, Ki Jana Hoever and the return of chamberlain will save us millions in my opinion maybe hence why we’re in for a quiet window? No major upgrades needed either only cover for left back and for the forwards.

2 youngsters, one of which has already spent a year out injured and a senior player who’s spent a large part of his career injured.

It’s not a cost saving exercise, if we need to spend to win the league then we should do it. If Klopp really thinks these 3 players, well 2 really because there’s no chance Hoever is ready to be playing Premier League yet, are able to make the difference and take us from 2nd to 1st then we have to trust his judgment and hope we don’t regret not spending.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,314 posts | 1746 
      Reply #40169: Jul 12, 2019 08:24:38 am
      Sorry to pick out a small piece of your post, but saving money shouldn't be our goal.  Our primary target should be lifting our 1st league trophy in 30 years, and if it cost 100M to do that  I'd consider it money well spent.

I totally agree we need to concentrate on keeping Big Ears and bringing Number 19 back to Anfield.If it costs 100 million then so be it as we should have enough spare cash to cover it.
      Scottbot

• 7,590 posts | 1233 
      Reply #40170: Jul 12, 2019 09:08:16 am

You could be right, there are some talented youngsters but for me it’s about bringing them through in the right environment. We’re a couple of injuries away from some of these lads being in the first team in a side that is expected to challenge on all four fronts, that’s a lot of pressure right there. Look at the way City are bringing Foden through, that’s the way to do it. But you can only do it that way if you’ve got strength in depth and some experience in your side. We need a couple of players to replace Studge and Moreno and they need to be better than the two that have gone.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      • up the reds
      Reply #40171: Jul 12, 2019 10:28:17 am
      to save us millions was probably for lack of a better phrase, I just wanted to reiterate that maybe the squad is stronger than most people believe, if it cost us 250 million to win the league I’d consider it money well spent! What I do believe though is that Klopp will put huge faith in those 3 players for this coming season.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,827 posts | 3639 
      Reply #40172: Jul 12, 2019 10:30:45 am
      Ox, Lallana, Joe and Brewster could well be viewed as new signings. Clyne played last night is he good cover or does he want out?
      Still a bit of thinning to do with some young players needing to go on loan or be sold so finding the right players to replace Danny and Moreno is going to be difficult.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      • up the reds
      Reply #40173: Jul 12, 2019 10:40:09 am
      Look at the way City are bringing Foden through, that’s the way to do it.

I would argue until about April Phil Foden was completely under-utilised by Pep. Games like burton Albion in the first leg of the league cup semi final and Swansea in the Fa cup quarter final he was nowhere to be seen and those are games he should be involved in. Played a great role for city in the run though, granted. Next season I really hope we draw some non premier league sides in the cup for our young lads to get a chance to get integrated into the first team while taking those cups 100% seriously and trying to win them all, drawing the likes of Chelsea Everton West Brom etc hasn’t given us the chance to do that much the past few years.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,427 posts | 738 
      Reply #40174: Jul 12, 2019 12:23:32 pm

I would argue until about April Phil Foden was completely under-utilised by Pep. Games like burton Albion in the first leg of the league cup semi final and Swansea in the Fa cup quarter final he was nowhere to be seen and those are games he should be involved in. Played a great role for city in the run though, granted. Next season I really hope we draw some non premier league sides in the cup for our young lads to get a chance to get integrated into the first team while taking those cups 100% seriously and trying to win them all, drawing the likes of Chelsea Everton West Brom etc hasn’t given us the chance to do that much the past few years.

We have EFL Trophy this season for that level of games for young players. At least three group games in the fall for that competition, so maybe some who would have been loaned will stay until January .

Also, players talk about our training ground as being a very intense indicator of talent. it may be that some youth players we made a lot of noise over in recent years just didn't rise to the required next level under scrutiny.

Quick Reply