Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179171 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40181: Jul 22, 2019 07:05:12 pm
      its constant moaning about not strengthening our squad the constant desire to sign Fekir. Origi scored again last night and we have Brewster you will not get two complete teams of equal standing there has to be development players in the squad and then you also need a couple of utility players in there too. I still haven't seen one name of equal standing to Mo, Sadio or Bobby who would be willing to come here yet we get the same shout everyday we  need cover for them. The cover is Divok and Brewster and possibly one or more of the Kids.

But Salah and Mane were not seen like that when we signed them, they were good players with a decent recent track record, not the highly coveted world class players they are now. I don’t think everyone is demanding superstars and I agree you won’t get two teams of equal measure. City don’t have that BUT the quality of their bench is comparable (albeit not as good) to the starting players. As for naming names of players we should sign I think that is for the scouting department. Just because the fans aren’t categorically saying we must sign this player or that player, it doesn’t mean there aren’t talented players (with a temperament and attitude) out there because there are.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #40182: Jul 22, 2019 07:25:19 pm
      But Salah and Mane were not seen like that when we signed them, they were good players with a decent recent track record, not the highly coveted world class players they are now. I don’t think everyone is demanding superstars and I agree you won’t get two teams of equal measure. City don’t have that BUT the quality of their bench is comparable (albeit not as good) to the starting players. As for naming names of players we should sign I think that is for the scouting department. Just because the fans aren’t categorically saying we must sign this player or that player, it doesn’t mean there aren’t talented players (with a temperament and attitude) out there because there are.

Exactly! You just put it better 🤣
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40183: Jul 22, 2019 07:30:56 pm

Who are they though I haven't had a single answer yet with a definitive name of a player who fits this criteria. So if we don't know who these players are how can we be sure they are right for us. I am convinced these young lads are equally technically as good as anyone. What they lack is the intensity and understanding of the expectation of winning every single game we play. Having had an incredible league campaign and winning the CL I would say with the inclusion now of OX and Rhian  and with Joe and Naby fit again we are stronger now than when we finished the season. I would say Greizman would be a good fit for us but look how much he cost Mbappe twice as much If we can find a goal scorer who can fit in with this team and who is prepared to fight for a place with arguably the best three striker partnership in Europe then I bet Jürgen would be the first to welcome him.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40184: Jul 22, 2019 07:45:44 pm
      SO come on who is this player for £40mil .

You seem keen for posters to throw a few names into the hat so I guess I'll throw in a couple I personally like who look like they could be got, and would be useful in our squad. I don't watch a lot of European football so my knowledge is primarily with the EPL. Once again thoug, just because fans cannot categorically name the players we should sign it doesn't mean they are not out there.

I think you could get Aubameyang for that price, he's 30 now so no real sell on value (so doesn't fit the traditional FSG ergonomics) but he has been successful playing for Klopp, he can play anywhere across the front three but more specifically as a 9 or inside left (for Mane). He's quick, skilful and versatile. Arsenal need some cash by the looks of it, particularly if they want the readies to buy Zaha and Tierney. I thought we should have got the lad 18 months ago when Arsenal bought him tbh and I'm guessing it is highly unlikely to happen given that Klopp didn't go in for him before.

Phillipe Anderson is another player who would fit the bill, he'd probably cost nearly double what West Ham paid for him mind but he is another who would fit the bill imho. Probably less suited to the 9 shirt (but he could play the false 9 role) but he would push Mane and Salah for playing time in my humble opinion and you could also play him as a 10. He's a terrific player who would fit in perfectly. This time last year he was a highly thought of player, not an out an out superstar, obviously he is now premium having proven himself in the EPL for a season.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40185: Jul 22, 2019 07:53:29 pm
      Of course if people are adamant we need strengthening then they should at least have an idea who. I like Anderson he has something about him and I think we should be looking perhaps at players with Premier League experience.
      Just out of interest Steve Nicholl had these names as targets.
      DeLigt, Couthino, Madison,Sessignon and Fekir. He thought Deligt would be a starter even though we have Joe Gomez and Matip and Lovren. He thought the others could come from the bench and make a difference. I would have loved Aubameyang too he would have fitted in straight away.
      Pepe seems to be our main target but others now are sniffing around I don't know how good he is the French league is difficult to judge.
      He would never let on but I would love to be a fly on the wall of Jurgens office when he discusses these things with his coaching staff
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40186: Jul 22, 2019 08:00:45 pm
      Of course if people are adamant we need strengthening then they should at least have an idea who. I like Anderson he has something about him and I think we should be looking perhaps at players with Premier League experience.
      Just out of interest Steve Nicholl had these names as targets.
      DeLigt, Couthino, Madison,Sessignon and Fekir. He thought Deligt would be a starter even though we have Joe Gomez and Matip and Lovren. He thought the others could come from the bench and make a difference. I would have loved Aubameyang too he would have fitted in straight away.
      Pepe seems to be our main target but others now are sniffing around I don't know how good he is the French league is difficult to judge.
      He would never let on but I would love to be a fly on the wall of Jurgens office when he discusses these things with his coaching staff

I'm not a fan of Steve Nichol's LFc punditry! Always steer clear as he seems to like putting the boot in Roy Keane style from what I can see. I do like James Maddison though, the lad has a bright future but he will carry that English player premium so you could see United overpaying for him in 12 months. Anderson would be perfect, if Sane leaves city it would not surprise me if they went on for him.

When we were linked with Nicholas Pepe I watched quite a few of his clips (the ones where you see every touch he makes in an individual game). Must admit he looked a bit lightweight and he didn't jump out as someone who would instantly suit the premier league.

I must confess I do quite like Wilf Zaha but I do think there is probably better value to be had on the continent.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #40187: Jul 22, 2019 08:26:47 pm
      On one hand we have a squad that just scored 97 points and also won Big Ears x6.

So honestly we really shouldn't need much improvement to continue our success.

BUT....

If you look back we certainly had a few games where one might classify our positive result as "luck" when you think about some of the late winners we had. Of course, Man City may have had a fair deal of luck as well in some of their games.

So I'm pretty happy with the squad, but I'm also a person that likes to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Not too worried about the defensive side of the ball, but I would like to see at least one more real impact player on the offensive side of the ball. Shaqiri hasn't really shown that he'll be anything other than a once in awhile impact player, certainly not a regular force. Origi is showing something (finally) and that's a positive, but I still wouldn't mind just one more impact type player like a Salah or Mane (from two years ago) that could push for time, but maybe isn't quite a superstar yet that would expect to start every game (like Salah or Mane now).
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #40188: Jul 22, 2019 08:48:48 pm
      One thing we should all remember, we whooped Barca without our preferred front 3.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40189: Jul 22, 2019 08:51:46 pm
      So the Fekir talk is officially at an end now, although there is only one member that’s actually been mentioning him of late...

Not sure what Fekir is thinking, going from being captain of a pretty decent team who can hold their own, in the Champions League every year and given all that up for a mid table La Liga team. Seems as though he was just desperate for a move away so took whatever was on offer.
      Strange given we were so close to signing him and then had other teams like Madrid being linked. Maybe there was something more to it than just his past injury, or maybe we put that seed in everyone’s mind.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40190: Jul 22, 2019 10:01:43 pm
      What about Pepe how good is he £70 mil is a big fee but not compared to £80 mil for Maguire.  The other one mentioned is Dembele  and Assesnio. The daily Mirror suggest Couthino will have to grovel a bit to get back to Anfield
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40191: Jul 22, 2019 10:02:45 pm
      One thing we should all remember, we whooped Barca without our preferred front 3.

and Origi is not only much improved he is also a different type of striker so a very good option
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #40192: Jul 22, 2019 10:05:31 pm
      What about Pepe how good is he £70 mil is a big fee but not compared to £80 mil for Maguire.  The other one mentioned is Dembele  and Assesnio. The daily Mirror suggest Couthino will have to grovel a bit to get back to Anfield

Dembele would be the one for me but I'd imagine Barca would need to sign Neymar to be in a position to let him leave.

Not seen a great deal of Pepe in all honesty.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40193: Jul 22, 2019 10:17:38 pm
      Dembele would be the one for me but I'd imagine Barca would need to sign Neymar to be in a position to let him leave.

Not seen a great deal of Pepe in all honesty.

who was the Barca player that missed the sitter at the end of the game ? Neymar seems hell bent on returning to Barca
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #40194: Jul 22, 2019 10:18:35 pm
      who was the Barca player that missed the sitter at the end of the game ? Neymar seems hell bent on returning to Barca

It was dembele
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40195: Jul 22, 2019 10:20:05 pm
      The quality of the player we all seem to want will command a huge fee in excess of £70mil and I keep on returning to the question who that might be and how are we going to fit him into the team
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #40196: Jul 22, 2019 10:25:16 pm
      The quality of the player we all seem to want will command a huge fee in excess of £70mil and I keep on returning to the question who that might be and how are we going to fit him into the team

If we buy someone who can play either wide or where Firmino plays, or wide and further back in midfield like Coutinho did that player could easily play 30+ games next season.

I think we would like to buy such a player but only will if he is the right man.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #40197: Jul 22, 2019 10:28:38 pm
      Don’t know how I stumbled across this one but if the ever unreliable tool Graeme Kelly is to be believed, we are after Sancho :laugh:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #40198: Jul 22, 2019 10:32:06 pm
      What do you lot think about Bale????
      I was reading his stats at Madrid and they are quite astonishing to be honest.
      Then flicked on the radio and 5 live was on and Paul Ince was on saying how he thought he’d be a good fit at LFC ,Don Hutchison was on aswell making the same point.
      Granted he’d have to take a huge wage cut ,but they are desperate to get rid so god knows what they would let him go for given how he’s been treated.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40199: Jul 22, 2019 10:36:59 pm
      If we buy someone who can play either wide or where Firmino plays, or wide and further back in midfield like Coutinho did that player could easily play 30+ games next season.

I think we would like to buy such a player but only will if he is the right man.

Wide positions are very much occupied by the wing backs. The dominance or importance of Robbo and Trent has only really come to the fore since Couthino left. #I also think if Shaq gets his injuries sorted out he can play more of a role this season. If we are looking for players and we need them for the start of the season we need to get a hurry on we only have 3 weeks until the Norwich game
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #40200: Jul 22, 2019 10:37:24 pm
      What do you lot think about Bale????
      I was reading his stats at Madrid and they are quite astonishing to be honest.
      Then flicked on the radio and 5 live was on and Paul Ince was on saying how he thought he’d be a good fit at LFC ,Don Hutchison was on aswell making the same point.
      Granted he’d have to take a huge wage cut ,but they are desperate to get rid so god knows what they would let him go for given how he’s been treated.

We’ve already got an injury prone player in Lallana, don’t need another that would cost a lot of money and want a massive wage. Not to mention he’s 30/31. His career is essentially on the wind down now IMO, I think the lack of interest in him is testament to how much of a gamble he would be.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #40201: Jul 22, 2019 10:39:50 pm
      Wide positions are very much occupied by the wing backs. The dominance or importance of Robbo and Trent has only really come to the fore since Couthino left. #I also think if Shaq gets his injuries sorted out he can play more of a role this season. If we are looking for players and we need them for the start of the season we need to get a hurry on we only have 3 weeks until the Norwich game

I mean the wide of the front three positions. I'm pretty sure you knew that as well Walt.
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Reply #40202: Jul 22, 2019 10:40:25 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40203: Jul 22, 2019 10:40:58 pm
      £650k a week I think he is a cracking player but just past his sell by date and he doesn't fit FSG player profile of having a good sell on price in two years he would be worthless .Take him on loan for a year but even that would cost a fortune

Quick Reply