Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4206566 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40388: Jul 27, 2019 02:00:44 pm
      I'm not, but I know a thing or two about finance and how the club operates, and I also know that if you can't reach the level revenues of the likes of Bayern, Real and Barcelona that we have to be wiser with our approach in spending money and making more of a RIGHT decision instead of the wrong one.

Didn't I read somewhere that Barcelona still owes us 93m on Coutinho sale?

Yep.
      It's the usual structure of a buying club paying installments over the course of the players contract.
      Personally, I reckon in any future deal with Barca, we should get all the money upfront, but of course that way, we'd lose a bigger chunk of it to tax.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #40389: Jul 27, 2019 02:04:30 pm
      And yet arguably, with Sturridge gone, and Brewster in we have more depth than last season because Sturridge is made of glass.
      Add Origi in, who is a year older and better, and full of confidence.

There are a few, not just here, who whinge if we don't spend a shitload of money every transfer window, and dress it up in whatever form suits their argument.

If Klopp wanted someone badly enough, we'd be getting them in, a fact which seems to be ignored.

We have lost Moreno and Sturridge and not replaced them . Yes Brewster is coming through and think he will be fine but to step in the European Champions first Xi big ask. Origi would not get near even Utds starting XI I'm sorry I just dont think he is good enough . Did I say we had to spend sh*t loads of money ?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #40390: Jul 27, 2019 02:07:08 pm
      Depends what your definition of cover is?

If it's just the back up, which costly players are coming here to sit on the bench? So it's either go with those returning from loan and this is were Klopp should use Origi as an inspiration to the younger players about what they can go on to achieve when they return from loan deals.

Again why do they need to sit on the bench ? Not sure if you have played sport but competion is what drives people. There was numerous times last year that certainly  Bobby should have been benched . Why didn't he ? Because the cover could not be trusted
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40391: Jul 27, 2019 02:49:33 pm
      We have lost Moreno and Sturridge and not replaced them . Yes Brewster is coming through and think he will be fine but to step in the European Champions first Xi big ask. Origi would not get near even Utds starting XI I'm sorry I just dont think he is good enough . Did I say we had to spend sh*t loads of money ?

So, we haven't replaced a LB who never played, and instead of, Klopp played Milner, and a player who hardly ever played because he was constantly injured, with one of the brightest prospects in the country, and you dismiss another player without whom we would not have won the European Cup.

Got it.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #40392: Jul 27, 2019 03:16:33 pm
      So, we haven't replaced a LB who never played, and instead of, Klopp played Milner, and a player who hardly ever played because he was constantly injured, with one of the brightest prospects in the country, and you dismiss another player without whom we would not have won the European Cup.

Got it.

The reduction in the squad size reduces competition between the players - so many of our ex players, and former players from clubs such as United etc talk about the importance of new signings keeping everyone on their toes and preventing complacency. Itā€™s not about signing megastars for silly amounts of money, but it is about bringing in players who are first team ready and who can challenge the existing group. It freshens up the squad and shows the players that the club is serious about success. We saw from the likes of Robertson that this doesnā€™t mean spending huge amounts of money - it really doesnā€™t - but it does mean bringing in players who have the experience to realistically challenge for first team places this season
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #40393: Jul 27, 2019 03:19:28 pm
      It's the same old shitfest.

Instead of getting behind the lads, gobshites getting their posts lined up so hey can jump in and say "I told you so" as soon as we draw or lose a game.
      (Not all those concerned fall into this category, just the odd 1 or 2)

I get the concern, and I'd like to see a couple of players brought in, but if we don't, it's not the end of the world.
      I'm 100% sure that Klopp has his plans worked out for the season ahead.

Itā€™s okay for us to discuss though, even if we donā€™t all agree!

The alternative right now is cricket which for me is miles worse than any thread on here!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40394: Jul 27, 2019 03:22:38 pm
      The reduction in the squad size reduces competition between the players - so many of our ex players, and former players from clubs such as United etc talk about the importance of new signings keeping everyone on their toes and preventing complacency. Itā€™s not about signing megastars for silly amounts of money, but it is about bringing in players who are first team ready and who can challenge the existing group. It freshens up the squad and shows the players that the club is serious about success. We saw from the likes of Robertson that this doesnā€™t mean spending huge amounts of money - it really doesnā€™t - but it does mean bringing in players who have the experience to realistically challenge for first team places this season

Reduced squad size (but not really)
      No competition (but not really)
      Silly quotes from former players who never played under Klopp.
      (Football bullshit bingo)
      HOUSE!

FYI, I never said don't bring anyone in, in fact I said the exact opposite.

I didn't mention, money or prices.

And I do so love being patronised regarding recruitment, after spending well over 50 years watching Liverpool and teams from all over Britain and Europe, and knowing exactly how recruitment works.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #40395: Jul 27, 2019 03:27:34 pm
      Reduced squad size (but not really)
      No competition (but not really)
      Silly quotes from former players who never played under Klopp.
      (Football bullshit bingo)
      HOUSE!

FYI, I never said don't bring anyone in, in fact I said the exact opposite.

I didn't mention, money or prices.

And I do so love being patronised regarding recruitment, after spending well over 50 years watching Liverpool and teams from all over Britain and Europe, and knowing exactly how recruitment works.

Why do you come on here if you arenā€™t prepared to listen to other peopleā€™s opinions? If you canā€™t voice your views without being rude then donā€™t bother at all
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #40396: Jul 27, 2019 03:32:26 pm
      ;D how do City, Barca, Real, Bayern etc manage it?

Manage what? Who have they bought that are replacing their starting players? Hazard? Is he replacing someone or is he an addition?

Juventus bought Ronaldo last year, a lot of good it did them, didnā€™t win CL and now they are looking to move Dybala.

Iā€™m all for buying exciting new players, but we arenā€™t going to be able to buy someone better than Salah, Bobby or Mane without throwing our wage structure completely out of whack.

I think people are confusing what I meant about locker room chemistry with competition. Competition is great, Iā€™m all for it, but some ā€œsuperstarsā€ come with some locker room baggage and Klopp isnā€™t having it. And how do we bring in an Mbappe and pay him 300k a week when none of our other established stars are making anywhere near that?

This isnā€™t football manager.
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2019 03:37:42 pm by FL Red »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40397: Jul 27, 2019 03:36:42 pm
      Why do you come on here if you arenā€™t prepared to listen to other peopleā€™s opinions? If you canā€™t voice your views without being rude then donā€™t bother at all

why do you assume you can lecture me, and also attribute things to me that I never said?

You didn't post an opinion, you posted a patronising lecture, which was IMO a load of bollocks.
      Why can I not have an opinion on what you posted.
      Is it only you that is allowed an opinion on other peoples posts?

Try reading what I've actually said about getting players in.
      Not once have I said we shouldn't.
      Only that it's not the end of the world if we don't.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #40398: Jul 27, 2019 03:36:54 pm
      And if people arenā€™t already worried enough about our lack of signings, it looks like Arsenal have won the race to sign Pepe.

A player that appears to be this years Thomas Lemar or whatever the hell that guys name was.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40399: Jul 27, 2019 03:38:00 pm
      Manage what? Who have they bought that are replacing their starting players? Hazard? Is he replacing someone or is he an addition?

Juventus bought Ronaldo last year, a lot of good it did them, didnā€™t win CL and now they are looking to move Dybala.

Iā€™m all for buying exciting new players, but we arenā€™t going to be able to buy someone better than Salah, Bobby or Mane without throwing our wage structure completely out of the whack.

I think people are confusing what I meant about locker room chemistry with competition. Competition is great, Iā€™m all for it, but some ā€œsuperstarsā€ come with some locker room baggage and Klopp isnā€™t having it. And how do we bring in an Mbappe and pay him 300k a week when none of our other established stars are making anywhere near that?

Locker room chemistry

Paul Pogba.

Join the dots.

FYI I agree with you.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #40400: Jul 27, 2019 03:40:43 pm

I donā€™t think anyone is saying we should be signing players of that profile ... I personally completely agree that players like that would be hugely harmful to the squad as a whole

However competition is healthy ... we have reduced our squad size - even factoring in those younger players who might be promoted up (although Iā€™m sceptical as to how much game time they will get) we have a smaller squad now than we did last season.

Like I said above it doesnā€™t need to be megabucks that gets spent.

Whatever happens I will, like all of us, support them whatever happens :)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40401: Jul 27, 2019 03:48:25 pm
      So you're expecting us to buy a world class forward that will happily sign and be used to getting splinters in his arse?

Not going to happen is it? Hence Origi, Brewster and one of Wilson or Kent being the back up forwards.

So will Pepe just sit on the bench at Arsenal, if not then why would he have done for us, how about if we signed Mbappe, would he also just sit on the bench or do you think we might ROTATE the forwards!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40402: Jul 27, 2019 03:50:26 pm
      I donā€™t think anyone is saying we should be signing players of that profile ... I personally completely agree that players like that would be hugely harmful to the squad as a whole

However competition is healthy ... we have reduced our squad size - even factoring in those younger players who might be promoted up (although Iā€™m sceptical as to how much game time they will get) we have a smaller squad now than we did last season.

Where do you get the idea there is no competition in our squad?
      Even our 1st choice front 3 are constantly competing with each other, along with every other player in there.
      It's friendly, healthy competition of the best kind.
      These are pro's; the ultimate pro's, or Klopp wouldn't have them here.
      They don't suddenly start thinking "oh a new guy has come in, better up my game" because they give 100% all the time.
      It's bullshit punditry, from ex-players who thought drinking competitions increased competition between players, but don't understand the game has moved on.

This "squad competition" thing is another lazy trope from pundits who say what they do to keep their jobs going by trying to be controversial.
      It happens every year.
      They try to create a narrative, then keep repeating it all season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40403: Jul 27, 2019 03:52:20 pm
      Even our 1st choice front 3 are constantly competing with each other, along with every other player in there.
      They don't suddenly start thinking "oh a new guy has come in, better up my game" because they give 100% all the time.
      It's bullshit punditry, from ex-players who thought drinking competitions increased competition between players, but don't understand the game has moved on.

This "squad competition" thing is another lazy trope from pundits who say what they do to keep their jobs going by trying to be controversial.
      It happens every year.

Why do we have more than 3 quality midfielders and more than  4 defenders yet only 3 forwards?
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 733 posts | 113 
      Reply #40404: Jul 27, 2019 04:05:34 pm

It happens every year.

Iā€™m not saying there is no competition, Iā€™m saying the competition has been reduced. And by competition I mean for places in the team not between players who are - if fit - pretty much guaranteed to start.

Yes, in terms of diet nutrition and fitness the game has moved on enormously so things like drinking games are well and truly in the past - but in many other respects the game hasnā€™t changed at all.

If youā€™re Firmino / Salah / Mane and the club sign a top striker who you know will be competing for your place in the team, your professional pride will spur you on to do even better and to make sure that - if the new guy does make the starting eleven - it will be at the expense of one of the other two, not you. That was there in the 1970s, 1980s, and is still very much part of the game now - the top players want to be tested and challenged and increasing competition, in my view, does that.

Btw Iā€™m genuinely not trying to sound patronising and I apologise if thatā€™s how any of my earlier posts came across
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40405: Jul 27, 2019 04:07:28 pm
      So will Pepe just sit on the bench at Arsenal, if not then why would he have done for us, how about if we signed Mbappe, would he also just sit on the bench or do you think we might ROTATE the forwards!

Knowing how the charlatan Emery works, he probably will be on the bench either for the first half or 2nd half of games.

The way he used Aubamayang and Lacazette was mind boggling. That bloke just picks a random line up it seems, then does a couple of subs at half time to try and rectify it so yeah, thereā€™s every chance Pepe will be on the bench...probably more so than if we signed him to be honest.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40406: Jul 27, 2019 04:14:08 pm
      Cant believe people are still having a pop at Divok. When called upon last season he was exceptional and the benefit of him is he is a completely different forward than our others we are lucky to have him. Still waiting for the definitive answer to who this Ā£100mil forward is that is going to be a player we use to rotate and rest our front three.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #40407: Jul 27, 2019 04:16:08 pm

If it isnā€™t megabucks then it wonā€™t be competition because our front three are some of the best in the world. They arenā€™t going to be pushed by a 20m signing.

We spent big before on players that were coming in to be guaranteed starters, VVD, Allison.

There arenā€™t hardly any players out there that would be guaranteed starters ahead of our front three, and the ones that would be, would cost a fortune.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 329 posts | 62 
      Reply #40408: Jul 27, 2019 04:19:49 pm
      If it isnā€™t megabucks then it wonā€™t be competition because our front three are some of the best in the world. They arenā€™t going to be pushed by a 20m signing.

We spent big before on players that were coming in to be guaranteed starters, VVD, Allison.

There arenā€™t hardly any players out there that would be guaranteed starters ahead of our front three, and the ones that would be, would cost a fortune.

Agree with this, but our back 4 and front 3 are unbelievable it's the midfield that needs the big money spent. That's why I believe it will be Bruno or nobody of note this window.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40409: Jul 27, 2019 04:25:17 pm
      Cant believe people are still having a pop at Divok. When called upon last season he was exceptional and the benefit of him is he is a completely different forward than our others we are lucky to have him. Still waiting for the definitive answer to who this Ā£100mil forward is that is going to be a player we use to rotate and rest our front three.

Shame Klopp disagrees with you on Origi, the only times he played was if one of regular top 3 were injured, not even a loss of form for the front three was enough to tempt Klopp into starting him. Origi scored some crucial goals for us last season but do you really consider him at the same level as Mo, Sadio and Bobby, if not then that is where the problem is and why me and others want to see one more top forward signed to provide genuine competition and options in terms of rotation and impact player off the bench.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40410: Jul 27, 2019 04:26:25 pm
      Agree with this, but our back 4 and front 3 are unbelievable it's the midfield that needs the big money spent. That's why I believe it will be Bruno or nobody of note this window.

Why not have an amazing front 4, what would happen to our current front 3 if one is injured for a few months?

Quick Reply