Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4204932 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #41630: Jun 06, 2020 09:52:34 am
      If Werner wasn't the right way to go then why was Klopp chatting with him convincing him to come here. Despite our recent success we got out muscled by a rival for our top target, that sucks!

You know thatā€™s only coming from journoā€™s saying that, thereā€™s nothing to confirm he actually spoke to the player. In fact the guy thatā€™s coming from most is that German bloke who was also saying itā€™s basically all but certain we will be signing him.

In fact, the reports now are saying that in them conversations Klopp told the player we wouldnā€™t be going after him.

In all honesty I donā€™t believe Klopp was speaking to him and if he was then it wouldnā€™t have become public knowledge given the Van Dijk embarrassment.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #41631: Jun 06, 2020 09:58:56 am
      If Werner wasn't the right way to go then why was Klopp chatting with him convincing him to come here. Despite our recent success we got out muscled by a rival for our top target, that sucks!

Sorry, donā€™t agree with you this time mate. I think itā€™s more to do with keeping harmony in the dressing room, and realising that maybe Werner wasnā€™t going to sit on the bench for a year possibly two. He went to Chelsea, for 50 k more. Thatā€™s not a Klopp player. You want to come to LFC because itā€™s LFC.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #41632: Jun 06, 2020 10:36:51 am
      You know thatā€™s only coming from journoā€™s saying that, thereā€™s nothing to confirm he actually spoke to the player. In fact the guy thatā€™s coming from most is that German bloke who was also saying itā€™s basically all but certain we will be signing him.

In fact, the reports now are saying that in them conversations Klopp told the player we wouldnā€™t be going after him.

In all honesty I donā€™t believe Klopp was speaking to him and if he was then it wouldnā€™t have become public knowledge given the Van Dijk embarrassment.

Everyone has to believe what they want but the word is that Klopp did convince him to come here in prior conversations and when it became apparent we wouldnā€™t be buying him, Klopp contacted him to explain that it wasnā€™t personal, purely financial and to wish him luck.

That really sucks if itā€™s true because that means Klopp thought there was a deal to be made for a player he wanted and then he was overridden for financial reasons.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41633: Jun 06, 2020 11:01:08 am
      Everyone has to believe what they want but the word is that Klopp did convince him to come here in prior conversations and when it became apparent we wouldnā€™t be buying him, Klopp contacted him to explain that it wasnā€™t personal, purely financial and to wish him luck.

That really sucks if itā€™s true because that means Klopp thought there was a deal to be made for a player he wanted and then he was overridden for financial reasons.

Was he overridden though? Klopp isn't a stupid man, he is very aware of the way of the world. It wouldnā€™t surprise me at all if he happily said itā€™s not right financially when the world is the way it is with so much uncertainty at the moment.

We can think of countless scenarios about why we havenā€™t signed him but none of us will really know who made what decision and who may or may not have been happy about it. The owners have given Klopp full support since the day he arrived but there seems to be a narrative with our fan base that as soon as we donā€™t sign someone, itā€™s instantly their fault for not paying up. Itā€™s something that stems back to the Ayre days which I donā€™t quite get. We didnā€™t sign anyone of any note last summer and there was uproar, but then look at how weā€™ve then gone and hit a 25point lead. I think the club as a whole has shown that when it comes to the transfer market, theyā€™ve earned our trust.

Yes Iā€™d have liked us to sign Werner but Iā€™m not going to let it bother me that we havenā€™t. Whilst he looks like heā€™d be ideally suited to us, thereā€™s no guarantee he would have been a success. The fact heā€™s so happily going to Chelsea who may not even get Champions League football, rather than wait it out 6 months or a year kind of tells me that as soon as Barca or whoever came along wanting him from us, heā€™d have soon been flirting with them.

Only time will tell if it turns out to be a mistake or not but I canā€™t believe that in such uncertain times, and when the club is currently making no money for the last few months, people are still banging the FSG drum and we now even have people saying we should take out a loan to sign him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #41634: Jun 06, 2020 11:13:31 am
      Was he overridden though? Klopp isn't a stupid man, he is very aware of the way of the world. It wouldnā€™t surprise me at all if he happily said itā€™s not right financially when the world is the way it is with so much uncertainty at the moment.

We can think of countless scenarios about why we havenā€™t signed him but none of us will really know who made what decision and who may or may not have been happy about it. The owners have given Klopp full support since the day he arrived but there seems to be a narrative with our fan base that as soon as we donā€™t sign someone, itā€™s instantly their fault for not paying up. Itā€™s something that stems back to the Ayre days which I donā€™t quite get. We didnā€™t sign anyone of any note last summer and there was uproar, but then look at how weā€™ve then gone and hit a 25point lead. I think the club as a whole has shown that when it comes to the transfer market, theyā€™ve earned our trust.

Yes Iā€™d have liked us to sign Werner but Iā€™m not going to let it bother me that we havenā€™t. Whilst he looks like heā€™d be ideally suited to us, thereā€™s no guarantee he would have been a success. The fact heā€™s so happily going to Chelsea who may not even get Champions League football, rather than wait it out 6 months or a year kind of tells me that as soon as Barca or whoever came along wanting him from us, heā€™d have soon been flirting with them.

Only time will tell if it turns out to be a mistake or not but I canā€™t believe that in such uncertain times, and when the club is currently making no money for the last few months, people are still banging the FSG drum and we now even have people saying we should take out a loan to sign him.

If you believe the reports though, Klopp had talked to him during this whole quarantine time period so itā€™s not like he spoke to him a long time ago and then things change. Why would Klopp be talking him into a move to the club knowing full well that transfers were likely going to be a no go? That just doesnā€™t seem like a JĆ¼rgen thing to do. Maybe itā€™s all bullshit and weā€™ve never contacted him at all, Iā€™d actually prefer that to be the case because it will really suck if JĆ¼rgen planned on bringing him in and we either pulled out because of no money to spend or he had his head turned by Chelsea. Neither of those is really something that makes me feel any better about it.

Yea maybe he doesnā€™t end up being a world beater......but what if he does....and for Chelsea. That thought sickens me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41635: Jun 06, 2020 11:34:39 am
      If you believe the reports though, Klopp had talked to him during this whole quarantine time period so itā€™s not like he spoke to him a long time ago and then things change. Why would Klopp be talking him into a move to the club knowing full well that transfers were likely going to be a no go? That just doesnā€™t seem like a JĆ¼rgen thing to do. Maybe itā€™s all bullshit and weā€™ve never contacted him at all, Iā€™d actually prefer that to be the case because it will really suck if JĆ¼rgen planned on bringing him in and we either pulled out because of no money to spend or he had his head turned by Chelsea. Neither of those is really something that makes me feel any better about it.

Yea maybe he doesnā€™t end up being a world beater......but what if he does....and for Chelsea. That thought sickens me.

Get what you are saying mate, 100%. I just find it hard to believe anything thatā€™s written in the media about what may or may not have happened. All the journoā€™s do it, one minute they are saying one thing and we are set to sign him and the next when a different development happens they then start saying another story about how we were never going to follow up any initial interest. They will say whatever gets them the most clicks and sells the best for their own profile.

When Chelsea were linked with him but he was apparently set for us there was no mention about Cech and Lampard going to meet him a while ago, yet when they agree a deal to sign him itā€™s suddenly common knowledge. They didnā€™t know they went and met him but apparently know what was said during phone calls with Klopp.

Itā€™s really not worth paying attention to what the reports say, they just get you more stressed out about it all.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41636: Jun 06, 2020 01:21:32 pm
      Sorry, donā€™t agree with you this time mate. I think itā€™s more to do with keeping harmony in the dressing room, and realising that maybe Werner wasnā€™t going to sit on the bench for a year possibly two. He went to Chelsea, for 50 k more. Thatā€™s not a Klopp player. You want to come to LFC because itā€™s LFC.

OK, but in that case how the hell to we bring in genuine competition for our front three, does it have to be a home grown player, a new Fowler or Owen? Surely we must be able to have 4 top notch forwards on our books and rotate a bit, I would so love to have a genuine game changer sitting on the bench, I mean how often have we had a player come off the bench and change the game in recent years? We either win with our first XI or we don't, there is no middle ground and yes I know we do win a LOT more than not but still a game changer can make so much difference, for example imagine if we had had a fresh set of legs with talent come on against Atletico, it could have made all the difference.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #41637: Jun 06, 2020 04:18:21 pm
      OK, but in that case how the hell to we bring in genuine competition for our front three, does it have to be a home grown player, a new Fowler or Owen? Surely we must be able to have 4 top notch forwards on our books and rotate a bit, I would so love to have a genuine game changer sitting on the bench, I mean how often have we had a player come off the bench and change the game in recent years?
      We either win with our first XI or we don't, there is no middle ground and yes I know we do win a LOT more than not but still a game changer can make so much difference, for example imagine if we had had a fresh set of legs with talent come on against Atletico, it could have made all the difference.

Answer :   Adama Traore .

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,221 posts | 4919 
      Reply #41638: Jun 06, 2020 05:50:36 pm

Maybe but JĆ¼rgen also has always been on the same page as FSG where finance and spending money is concerned so it's very likely that if it was a purely financial decision JĆ¼rgen was onboard with that.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41639: Jun 06, 2020 05:53:44 pm
      Maybe but JĆ¼rgen also has always been on the same page as FSG where finance and spending money is concerned so it's very likely that if it was a purely financial decision JĆ¼rgen was onboard with that.

It's strange how people from other countries view money in a completely different way.

Maybe in the UK and US, people are so used to just using credit for instant gratification, they don't understand fiscal responsibility in the same way people from other countries do.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #41640: Jun 06, 2020 06:04:27 pm
      It's strange how people from other countries view money in a completely different way.

Maybe in the UK and US, people are so used to just using credit for instant gratification, they don't understand fiscal responsibility in the same way people from other countries do.
      When it comes to football the precedent is fiscal responsibility goes out the window. I can imagine if FSG had not acquired Klopps services and we hadn't achieved the success we have had, then more money would of been spent. Klopp is FSG golden goose. A manager like no other.
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #41641: Jun 06, 2020 06:08:20 pm
      And I summarise Klopp- humble, approachable, inspirational. Josse Mourinhio- a miserable spendaholic.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,221 posts | 4919 
      Reply #41642: Jun 06, 2020 06:14:08 pm

Indeed.

It doesn't seem to have crossed some people's minds that even if JĆ¼rgen had been keen on Werner the events of the last few months may have seen him revising his opinion and he and the club agreeing that spending that sum, along with wages, just wasn't the thing to do right now.

tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #41643: Jun 06, 2020 06:15:44 pm
      And I remember a time when some supporters fancied Mourinho.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 6378 
      Reply #41644: Jun 06, 2020 08:26:00 pm
      Indeed.

It doesn't seem to have crossed some people's minds that even if JĆ¼rgen had been keen on Werner the events of the last few months may have seen him revising his opinion and he and the club agreeing that spending that sum, along with wages, just wasn't the thing to do right now.

JĆ¼rgen would have known what the release clause was though and all reports are that he was talking to Werner DURING the lockdown. So if he truly was, heā€™d have to have known when he was convincing him to come that our finances were going to be what they were due to Covid. Thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying. Something doesnā€™t quite add up with the idea that JĆ¼rgen cooled interest because of Covidā€™s effect on our finances. If I know Iā€™m not going to have the money for a new car, I donā€™t go and take one for a year drive.

If we donā€™t have the money for transfers fine, I get that, not saying we should go in debt, but there was obviously interest even after the club tried to go after the money for furloughed staff so it just doesnā€™t add up for me.

And like I said, sell 2 or 3 and his price is literally a drop in the bucket for a player we can develop into a star for the next 5 years or so. There is most likely going to be football for the foreseeable future and I assume weā€™d like to keep winning and getting a player like this seemed to make too much sense. It is what it is, Iā€™m not calling for FSG out or anything, it just all seems a bit weird to me when you look at all the circumstances. And I donā€™t really want to see any of our rivals think they are putting one over us. That part probably burns me the most.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #41645: Jun 07, 2020 02:20:59 am
      and that's your weakness, it's important to ALWAYS be looking to improve and teams like Bayern and City are the bench mark, the one thing they have in common is incredibly strong squads, ours is massively improved in recent years but there is still room for improvement.

That's great and all, but remember from your armchair you're a fan, same as me and everyone else and our actual influence is F**k all. So when I say I don't give a F**k about City or Bayern it's from my view as a fan not as some representative of the club. I can't be arsed worrying about other clubs just what happens at ours.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41646: Jun 07, 2020 10:38:49 am
      That's great and all, but remember from your armchair you're a fan, same as me and everyone else and our actual influence is f**k all. So when I say I don't give a f**k about City or Bayern it's from my view as a fan not as some representative of the club. I can't be arsed worrying about other clubs just what happens at ours.

Ok, I'm always looking at our rivals, I guess we are just different in that way. For example I think Chelsea are going to be right up their next season with their recruits and if Citeh don't have CL then they'll be stronger as well.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41647: Jun 07, 2020 04:05:08 pm
      Ok, I'm always looking at our rivals, I guess we are just different in that way. For example I think Chelsea are going to be right up their next season with their recruits and if Citeh don't have CL then they'll be stronger as well.
      if Chelsea are within 17 points of us come the end of next season they would of had a very good campaign
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,899 posts | 3397 
      Reply #41648: Jun 07, 2020 05:09:37 pm

Chelsea have a poor backline and GK

Adding in Ziyech and if they do Werner wonā€™t fill that hole and certainly donā€™t see them being too big a threat
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #41649: Jun 08, 2020 12:17:33 am
      Iā€™m just totally confused about the Werner issue. Especially after we seemed so intent on signing him 🤷🏼ā€ā™‚ļø
      He hasnā€™t signed for anyone yet, but seems to have agreed a deal with Chavs.
      Was it possibly just the size of his paycheque ? If so, Iā€™m sure JĆ¼rgen wouldnā€™t have matched Chavs Monopoly money, and would expect the player to want to play for Liverpool, not for his bank balance.
      On the other hand, that could be complete bollocks, Iā€™m just speculating, and trying to make sense out of it 😳
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41650: Jun 08, 2020 01:14:41 am
      Iā€™m just totally confused about the Werner issue. Especially after we seemed so intent on signing him 🤷🏼ā€ā™‚ļø
      Was it possibly just the size of his paycheque ? If so, Iā€™m sure JĆ¼rgen wouldnā€™t have matched Chavs Monopoly money, and would expect the player to want to play for Liverpool, not for his bank balance.
      On the other hand, that could be complete bollocks, Iā€™m just speculating, and trying to make sense out of it 😳

Ā£50mill fee that I think will have to be paid in one lump sum as itā€™s activating a release clause. Usually on a transfer the fee is spread out into instalments over the length of a contract. If the contract gets extended then the payments get extended too, if a player leaves before the contract is up, then the fee has to be paid off when he departs.

Regarding his wages, Iā€™d be shocked if it would have been anything less than 150k a week which is a lot of money for a player that wonā€™t necessarily be going straight into the team. I doubt football will be back to normal within the next year so income will still be massively down. Werner on 150k a week as a bit part player potentially, would be wracking up Ā£7.8mill over the first year, excluding any bonuses.

Players usually get a signing on fee and hazarding a guess, Iā€™d say it would have been around Ā£5mill.

Then there is the agent fee, and if I remember right, his will be around Ā£12mill.

So the transfer of Werner in the first year alone would total in the region of Ā£75mill. A massive amount of money for a team that could potentially be losing Ā£200mill worth of income within the next year.

Yes there could be player sales but that isnā€™t a guarentee, and those sales wonā€™t happen until the end of the season, by which time the Werner release clause would have long expired. Could well have found ourselves in a situation similar to the last couple of summers where we havenā€™t been able to offload players quite as easily as we may have liked. Not forgetting that many teams will struggle to buy players this summer so whilst we may not sign anyone, thereā€™s a chance we may not sell anyone either.

Financially, itā€™s understandable not going for Werner.

As a supporter its disappointing but I donā€™t think Werners ability would see us reap the rewards and make putting ourselves at risk financially worth it. Especially seeing as the likelihood of him becoming a regular starter within the first half of next season would be pretty slim.
      Itā€™s very difficult to massively improve a team that will have gotten around 200 points in 2 seasons and won 4 trophies in that time too (assuming we win the league this season). Probably a question the club was asking, would an outlay of Ā£75mill for an initial rotation player be justified in the current state. For me, no. For me, although we need a better option than Origi and than what Minamino has shown so far, I think we are far weaker in cover for Alisson and Robbo.

Werner could wait a year for us to maybe go for him then, but I think he is just desperate to play in the Premier League and isnā€™t really fussed who itā€™s for out of the so called ā€˜bigger teamsā€™. We just happened to be linked to him more because of Klopp.

One thing that is for certain, I feel a lot more confident about our team going forward even if we donā€™t sign anyone than I would have done 4/5 years ago. Then not signing anyone for another summer could really have left us up the creek. Plus we have Jones, Williams and Elliot at the stage where they could start breaking through now so never know, we may not need to sign anyone with them. Weā€™ve had youngsters come through and make a name for themselves before.
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2020 01:32:18 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #41651: Jun 08, 2020 01:29:19 am

Reading Klopp couldnā€™t justify the fee after asking players to take pay cuts..which is morally right from the Boss, I still believe Werner will arrive as a LFC player with the fee spread over 2 years or so..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41652: Jun 08, 2020 01:36:22 am
      Reading Klopp couldnā€™t justify the fee after asking players to take pay cuts..which is morally right from the Boss, I still believe Werner will arrive as a LFC player with the fee spread over 2 years or so..

The fee canā€™t be spread out, it has to be paid in one go. It gets officially paid by the player too, who has to buy out the contract himself.

Chelsea will be paying the money but it has to go via Werner.

Quick Reply