Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179564 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #42021: Jul 18, 2020 08:41:42 pm
      It's Klopp who has got us were we are
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #42022: Jul 20, 2020 09:22:12 am
      Lloyd Kelly would be a good backup for Robbo we could get him cheap enough if Bournemouth go down. I think we bid for him before.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #42023: Jul 20, 2020 06:49:11 pm
      I think we can coun on the youngsters for cover at fullback postions. However, we need more options in attack. As I said earlier, mabe in another thread, while Arsenal was putting Aubameyang in, we were putting Shaqiri and Origi. We need better players. Salah, Firmino and Mane are great plaers but they are often poor too, we need to be able to rest them. Salah missed so many opportunities against Arsenal and needed to be dropeed IMO. I read Chelsea were going to signHavertz, I hope it's not true. While we're not strenghhening, our rivals are. Next season, ManU, Chelsea, Man City will have better teams it seems.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42024: Jul 20, 2020 08:45:24 pm
      We should definitely take a look at the relegated teams because I feel some of the players are quality and answer a need we have. You mentioned Sarr. I would also add Ake to this list (CB that can also fill in at LB). Jamal Lewis (LB with potential)

Also feels a bit more realistic that we would be looking for a bargain or two rather than spending 50+M on a player in the current circumstances.

Ake to Man City for 35 million, if reports are to be believed.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #42025: Jul 21, 2020 12:48:18 am
      Ake to Man City for 35 million, if reports are to be believed.
      Well here goes that. Would've loved him because he's PL proven, played with VVD at intl level, and can also fill at LB when needed.

Guess we are going to have to get used to Chelsea and Man City signing everything with a price tag on. With FFP paused for this year and Abramovic turning the tap on, City and Chelsea are going to be making big money signings as if nothing.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #42026: Jul 21, 2020 01:47:34 am
      Well here goes that. Would've loved him because he's PL proven, played with VVD at intl level, and can also fill at LB when needed.

I've liked the idea of signing Ake for a few seasons now.  He's quick and athletic enough to play at either CB or LB, but beyond that I think he'd give us another dynamic as part of a back 3 -- Gomez and Ake flanking VVD in a back 3 would be an interesting tactical option for us to change things up.  Doesn't appear to be a target of ours though 😕

I'm also quite keen on the idea of Coady making a return, but that seems unlikely as well. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42027: Jul 21, 2020 08:58:45 am
      I've liked the idea of signing Ake for a few seasons now.  He's quick and athletic enough to play at either CB or LB, but beyond that I think he'd give us another dynamic as part of a back 3 -- Gomez and Ake flanking VVD in a back 3 would be an interesting tactical option for us to change things up.  Doesn't appear to be a target of ours though 😕

I'm also quite keen on the idea of Coady making a return, but that seems unlikely as well. 

I'd prefer Coady to Ake to be honest, but neither one will happen.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #42028: Jul 21, 2020 11:13:40 am
      As we will have a limited budget this Summer I think we can do some shrewd business buying players from relegated teams.

For LB Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth, for CB Ben Godfrey from Norwich, and for wing Ismaila Sarr from Watford.

All are young talented players with lots of potential, I think we could get all three for around £60 million.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #42029: Jul 21, 2020 12:45:28 pm
      As we will have a limited budget this Summer I think we can do some shrewd business buying players from relegated teams.

For LB Lloyd Kelly from Bournemouth, for CB Ben Godfrey from Norwich, and for wing Ismaila Sarr from Watford.

All are young talented players with lots of potential, I think we could get all three for around £60 million.

I like Sarr at Watford but am pretty sure they shelled out 35-40 mill for him last summer? I'd be surprised if they let him go for less than 50m.

We certainly need to freshen up the competition for places in our front three. We've been fortunate not to lose any of them for a sustained period these last two years and whilst the reserves have come in at times and performed admirably we all know the drop off to an Origi or Shakiri for an extended period (say 3-4 months) would probably do in our title hopes for a season.

The club seem to be pleading poverty at the moment which really puzzles me. I get that income has been and will continue to be affected significantly but there hasn't been a lot of player investment the past 12 months and we've got 2 years full Champions League money behind us and the winners cheque for the EPL. I'd love to see Adama Traore at the club, I've got a horrible feeling City will be in for him as a replacement for Sane but he would be perfect for Klopp. Big, strong, powerful, end product, truly unplayable at times. Could fill in for Mane, could play on the right with Salah shifting inside, similarly Mane could do the same. Has also shown he can put in a stint at wing-back on plenty of occasions (more so last season). I figure he'd cost 80 million, maybe more but he's worth it.

All top sides need churn in the off-season, I  think that's proven. We've got a few youngsters who like they might have it in them to progress to the senior side with Jones, young Harvey Elliott and Neco Williams coming through but none of them has shown the instant upside of the young lad Greenwood at united. It would be really dangerous to be complacent and rely on a couple of bargains, youth and begin lucky with injuries again for 2020-21.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42030: Jul 21, 2020 03:18:56 pm
      I like Sarr at Watford but am pretty sure they shelled out 35-40 mill for him last summer? I'd be surprised if they let him go for less than 50m.

We certainly need to freshen up the competition for places in our front three. We've been fortunate not to lose any of them for a sustained period these last two years and whilst the reserves have come in at times and performed admirably we all know the drop off to an Origi or Shakiri for an extended period (say 3-4 months) would probably do in our title hopes for a season.

The club seem to be pleading poverty at the moment which really puzzles me. I get that income has been and will continue to be affected significantly but there hasn't been a lot of player investment the past 12 months and we've got 2 years full Champions League money behind us and the winners cheque for the EPL. I'd love to see Adama Traore at the club, I've got a horrible feeling City will be in for him as a replacement for Sane but he would be perfect for Klopp. Big, strong, powerful, end product, truly unplayable at times. Could fill in for Mane, could play on the right with Salah shifting inside, similarly Mane could do the same. Has also shown he can put in a stint at wing-back on plenty of occasions (more so last season). I figure he'd cost 80 million, maybe more but he's worth it.

All top sides need churn in the off-season, I  think that's proven. We've got a few youngsters who like they might have it in them to progress to the senior side with Jones, young Harvey Elliott and Neco Williams coming through but none of them has shown the instant upside of the young lad Greenwood at united. It would be really dangerous to be complacent and rely on a couple of bargains, youth and begin lucky with injuries again for 2020-21.

Adama Traore or Sarr would be perfect and I agree if other clubs have funds then we must as well, we urgently need backup for our forwards.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #42031: Jul 21, 2020 03:52:57 pm

I also would like to add that more than half of the he games revenue was in the bank before covid and you retained the tv money. I know matchday income is more important for bigger clubs like us but I don't understand why we are the only top 6 club that came out with statements basically swatting aside any talk of transfers involving sizeable price tags?

Okay City and Chelsea are bottomless pits of money, but if United, Arsenal, Spurs and other teams go out and spend and we can't get our hands on some decent backups for the needed positions then what gives? I mean,  if that's the case then "this club is run differently" and "covid put a hole in our revenues" just isn't enough imo.

However, let's not get into it too much and judge too fast befoee the transfer window is even opeb yet. Klopp might just be playing things down a tad too much as he tends to do.

For today tho, let's celebrate that trophy lift!!!!!!!!!🏆
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #42032: Jul 21, 2020 05:22:20 pm
      I I don't understand why we are the only top 6 club that came out with statements basically swatting aside any talk of transfers involving sizeable price tags? 

Negotiating tactic?  We've seen City, United, Madrid, etc get absolutely raped on some transfer fees in recent seasons.  If the selling club knows you're flush, their gonna try to take you for all you're worth.  Maybe we're trying to set the agenda that we haven't got excess cash on hand so other teams don't try to get greedy during negotiations.  We can point to us "walking away from Werner" as proof. 

Maybe we are skint.  Maybe it's mind games.  I guess we'll know for sure in about 3 months. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42033: Jul 21, 2020 05:47:17 pm
      Hasn't gini scored more goals than traore this season ?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42034: Jul 21, 2020 06:19:21 pm
      Hasn't gini scored more goals than traore this season ?

I didn't realise Gini had scored this season, surely not more than Traore anyway.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42035: Jul 21, 2020 06:31:16 pm
      Negotiating tactic?  We've seen City, United, Madrid, etc get absolutely raped on some transfer fees in recent seasons.  If the selling club knows you're flush, their gonna try to take you for all you're worth.  Maybe we're trying to set the agenda that we haven't got excess cash on hand so other teams don't try to get greedy during negotiations.  We can point to us "walking away from Werner" as proof. 

Maybe we are skint.  Maybe it's mind games.  I guess we'll know for sure in about 3 months. 

Believe Madrid president actually came out with a statement about transfers and saying not to expect much because of the financial situation due to Covid. So that’s them and us so far.

The cheater clubs won’t care. City will be City, Chelsea had money saved from their ban, United and Barca will flaunt FFP as well. Everyone else I think will act fairly prudent.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42036: Jul 21, 2020 06:56:03 pm
      Chelsea had money saved from their ban

Barely because they spent big the summer before and then paid 50mill+ for Pulisic mid season and then still somehow paid near on 50mill for Kovacic last summer. Don’t know why there seems to be the big thing about how they apparently saved money from having a ban on signing players....despite still signing players.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #42037: Jul 21, 2020 07:15:25 pm

Think it's just the owners just don't want to spend we'll see. But a terrible philosophy to follow now we're top of the tree
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #42038: Jul 21, 2020 09:53:44 pm
      Unpopular opinion probably but I'd bite your hand off for Jack Grealish. He'd do so well playing around our attackers.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #42039: Jul 21, 2020 10:20:07 pm
      Barely because they spent big the summer before and then paid 50mill+ for Pulisic mid season and then still somehow paid near on 50mill for Kovacic last summer. Don’t know why there seems to be the big thing about how they apparently saved money from having a ban on signing players....despite still signing players.

Because they’d have likely spent twice that had they not had a ban.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #42040: Jul 21, 2020 10:54:27 pm
      Unpopular opinion probably but I'd bite your hand off for Jack Grealish. He'd do so well playing around our attackers.

He’s a good player, I like watching him play but when you look at the pace and directness of Mane and Salah I think an additional attacker would need to come in with a similar skill set and physicality. Freakish is skilful and he makes things happen but he’s not the quickest lad in the world. I just don’t see the fit myself
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42041: Jul 21, 2020 11:02:05 pm

Nah  he is an overrated chavvy little b***ard
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #42042: Jul 21, 2020 11:23:27 pm
      He’s a good player, I like watching him play but when you look at the pace and directness of Mane and Salah I think an additional attacker would need to come in with a similar skill set and physicality. Freakish is skilful and he makes things happen but he’s not the quickest lad in the world. I just don’t see the fit myself

I'd be thinking more as cover for Bobby in the central position or even as one of the midfield three. His work rate is immense and I feel like he'd actually slot into that midfield three, certainly against sides that are happy to give us the ball and tell us to break them down.

Like I said, I expected to be a minority but I really do rate him. He'll be out of our budget this summer anyway.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #42043: Jul 22, 2020 02:32:12 am

I wish you were right, but the way I understood it is that Werner had a buyout clause that was constant the whole time and he was a long time target for us. Before the pandemic, it was no secret that we were on the brink of activating the release clause and going for him. The player himself had his mind set on joining us. We walked away from the deal despite the price tag being the same before, during, after the stoppage, and the player still wanting to join us. It really seems like the club truly reconsidered the money it is willing to spend since the pandemic struck.

I would've said you might be right if Leipzig had upped the price and tried to steer us into paying much more than the release clause, but Chelsea got him for about the amount the release clause was said to be set at. Basically they paid the same price we were willing to pay a couple of months before the pandemic.

Quick Reply