Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4206588 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #42044: Jul 22, 2020 04:08:35 am
      I wish you were right, but the way I understood it is that Werner had a buyout clause that was constant the whole time and he was a long time target for us. Before the pandemic, it was no secret that we were on the brink of activating the release clause and going for him. The player himself had his mind set on joining us. We walked away from the deal despite the price tag being the same before, during, after the stoppage, and the player still wanting to join us. It really seems like the club truly reconsidered the money it is willing to spend since the pandemic struck.

I would've said you might be right if Leipzig had upped the price and tried to steer us into paying much more than the release clause, but Chelsea got him for about the amount the release clause was said to be set at. Basically they paid the same price we were willing to pay a couple of months before the pandemic.

Chelsea also got him for a whopping 280k a week I don’t think that’s anywhere near what we would have offered the player. New record deal for Virgil is less than that currently. You do the math and combine his transfer fee and wages over a 5 year deal your looking at $130M for one player.

With so much uncertainty with the pandemic and the discussion of players been put on furlough only a few months ago it makes sense why we never got the deal signed with Werner.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #42045: Jul 22, 2020 04:10:20 am
      Unpopular opinion probably but I'd bite your hand off for Jack Grealish. He'd do so well playing around our attackers.

Spends too much time rolling on the floor and fixing his super tight shorts and hair for me.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #42046: Jul 22, 2020 04:29:33 am
      Chelsea also got him for a whopping 280k a week I don’t think that’s anywhere near what we would have offered the player. New record deal for Virgil is less than that currently. You do the math and combine his transfer fee and wages over a 5 year deal your looking at $130M for one player.

With so much uncertainty with the pandemic and the discussion of players been put on furlough only a few months ago it makes sense why we never got the deal signed with Werner.
      I agree with you on the wage bill even though I might say that to win trophies on a constant basis like we aim to do I don't see how you escape the wage bill problem.

You either buy top talent and pay the big price tag and the big wage bill that comes with it or you make schrewd pieces of business that eventually turn into stars demanding a high salary like Salah, Mane, etc which essentially brings you back to the wage dillema, but later down the line. No player is gonna perform like a top talent and settle for less money over an extended period of time. It will always translate into higher wage demands or an exit from the club.

I can't say I am happy about us not spending money this summer after a quite summer last year, but we are in a great position (it is also part of the reason I am dissapointed that we are not spending now while at our strongest). We just won big trophies and the starting 11, baring any ''hunger issues'', does not need much tweaking other than decent back-up for the key areas (LB, CB, LW,RW) which should be enough for us to seriously challenge next year.

I also should add that despite all the sh*t some of us (including me) will and have talked about the lack of transfers, we owe Klopp and the whole staff a lot of trust and patience because, so far, whatever they have done, they've done it better than any other team around and the results speak for themselves.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42047: Jul 22, 2020 08:16:08 am
      Spends too much time rolling on the floor and fixing his super tight shorts and hair for me.

Also spends to much time on social media too. He can play though. Many United fans think we're having him but I don't  If what you hear is true it's Sancho. However, if it was me it would priorities a CB.

Back onto Topic. In a decent team I think he would be up there mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42048: Jul 22, 2020 09:27:20 am
      Also spends to much time on social media too. He can play though. Many United fans think we're having him but I don't  If what you hear is true it's Sancho. However, if it was me it would priorities a CB.

Back onto Topic. In a decent team I think he would be up there mate.

I like Grealish, but he'd need a firm manager to control him and he might upset the rest of the team, its a bit of gamble.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42049: Jul 22, 2020 10:55:30 am
      I like Grealish, but he'd need a firm manager to control him and he might upset the rest of the team, its a bit of gamble.

Yeah I can go with that. He's only getting away with it presently because he's a big fish in a small team. Put him in top 6 team the he becomes a big fish in a big team. Simply wont get away with it then.  ;)
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #42050: Jul 22, 2020 07:13:52 pm

Good point, if he was goind to upset our wages structure, I completely agree with the cliub on that. He's not worth it. Chelsea and Man City spend money lie crazy, we don't but we still succeed. There's no reason to change that so far.
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #42051: Jul 22, 2020 11:47:24 pm
      We have excellent cover at RB now with Neco but we need a natural left back to cover for Andy - as per speculation in some quarters I believe Jamal Lewis would be an excellent buy and could really challenge for a starting berth.  He is a great prospect and Jürgen could really develop him further.  He totally fits the profile the club have for signings. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42052: Jul 23, 2020 01:30:27 am
      Ok does anyone know what Jurgens' Transfer plans were when he was aiming for back to back with BVB in the Bundesliga? Did he strengthen in that second season?

There is going to be so much speculation now, don't know who or what to believe so we await the obligatory scarf holding photo out the front of Melwood!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #42053: Jul 23, 2020 01:58:51 am
      Ok does anyone know what Jurgens' Transfer plans were when he was aiming for back to back with BVB in the Bundesliga? Did he strengthen in that second season?

There is going to be so much speculation now, don't know who or what to believe so we await the obligatory scarf holding photo out the front of Melwood!

I don’t think recall him going for big changes I vaguely recall he lost Sahin to Madrid and brought in Gundogan the rest stayed the same.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42054: Jul 23, 2020 02:18:47 am
      I don’t think recall him going for big changes I vaguely recall he lost Sahin to Madrid and brought in Gundogan the rest stayed the same.

Ta Mate

Think maybe the same then, just add that little cherry on top, if we can find it.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #42055: Jul 23, 2020 04:01:35 am

He also bought Ivan Perisic who played a bit in their title defence season.

The next season after winning their 2nd title in a row BvB bought Reus for a significant fee.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42056: Jul 23, 2020 07:59:30 am
      After watching yet another poor game from Salah yesterday I still think we need another forward to push both Sadio and Mo for a place.  Werner would have been perfect and perhaps Brewster can make the step up but I'd prefer a ready made forward.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #42057: Jul 23, 2020 08:03:34 am
      After watching yet another poor game from Salah yesterday I still think we need another forward to push both Sadio and Mo for a place.  Werner would have been perfect and perhaps Brewster can make the step up but I'd prefer a ready made forward.

Thought Mo played pretty well and was unlucky not to score. But we definitely need another wide forward with pace.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #42058: Jul 23, 2020 08:12:48 am

Not sure mate.

Again last night he really emphasised the young players once or twice and I'm wondering if his next challenge is to win a title while bringing through 2 or 3 young players.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42059: Jul 23, 2020 08:15:07 am
      Thought Mo played pretty well and was unlucky not to score. But we definitely need another wide forward with pace.

He wasn't unlucky not to score his finishing was sh*t again, as it has been the last few games, he still gets into great positions and of course he's still a very very good striker but we need to have a solid backup for when he or Sadio has a dip in form or are fatigued etc.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #42060: Jul 23, 2020 10:14:17 am
      He wasn't unlucky not to score his finishing was sh*t again, as it has been the last few games, he still gets into great positions and of course he's still a very very good striker but we need to have a solid backup for when he or Sadio has a dip in form or are fatigued etc.

His finishing has been poor in general this season. I think he was unlucky though with the shot Zouma blocked at the last second that looked to be going in. I just wish Mo wasn't so reliant on his left foot all the time.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2020 10:32:21 am by bazspeedman »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42061: Jul 23, 2020 10:50:00 am
      His finishing has been poor in general this season. I think he was unlucky though with the shot Zouma blocked at the last second that looked to be going in. I just wish Mo wasn't so reliant on his left foot all the time.

Some of his finishing has been bizarre this season; he’s missed so many 1v1’s with the keeper and several open goals. He’s only scored in consecutive league games on 2 occasions this season. His goal rate is progressively getting worse and he only has 2 goals in the last 6 games which came against Brighton, but the chances he’s had, he should probably have 8 or 9 in the last 6 games. He needs to improve his finishing because he is wasting far too many chances.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #42062: Jul 24, 2020 06:38:54 am
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1313404/Kai-Havertz-agrees-Chelsea-contract-Marina-Granovskaia-Bayer-Leverkusen

Chavs have apparently got Kai Havertz .

Marina Granitebitchka sorted the deal.

Must get her a role in Killing Eve as Villanelle's sistra.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42063: Jul 24, 2020 08:12:10 am
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1313404/Kai-Havertz-agrees-Chelsea-contract-Marina-Granovskaia-Bayer-Leverkusen

Quite easy to do deals with infinite money, they sure seem to be paying some hefty wages, for example Werner went from £80k per week to £280k, not exactly tough negotiations and haggling is it?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #42064: Jul 24, 2020 09:01:15 am

If this is true they've basically signed a new forward line with him Ziyech and Werner. A very handy front three, but they should really be signing some defenders, they're awful at the back.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 2818 
      Reply #42065: Jul 24, 2020 09:31:54 am
      Quite easy to do deals with infinite money, they sure seem to be paying some hefty wages, for example Werner went from £80k per week to £280k, not exactly tough negotiations and haggling is it?

They've hardly spent anything though. Made about 120m profit last summer and they've already got most of the Ziyech/Werner transfer fees from selling Morata for 50m. Getting high wages off the book as well with Willian and Pedro leaving as well.

Bit annoying but ultimately this isn't the most insane spending by Chelsea we've seen. Although not prioritising defenders does seem a bit crazy!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42066: Jul 24, 2020 10:48:36 am
      Made about 120m profit last summer

No they didn’t. Kovacic cost near on 50mill and that money left over would have covered the Pulisic signing too.

Let the Chavs sign whoever they want, FWIW I don’t even think Ziyech is all that and is over rated. I mean there must be a reason why nobody else has signed him before now or taken advantage of the fairly low price tag, and a I don’t believe it’s because he had his heart set on a move to the Chavs. I wouldn’t have been over the moon either if we had gone and signed Havertz for 80mill+ either given he’s proven little so far and seems like a Joao Felix signing that Atlético made last summer; hopefully he goes on to struggle as much as Felix has too.

I’m not worried, their attack hasn’t been the issue this season and didn’t particularly need massive re-enforcement to this extent, the issue was they have a sh*te defence and a sh*te keeper. Something they clearly aren’t fussed about.
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2020 10:58:02 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »

Quick Reply