Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4209130 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #42228: Aug 11, 2020 04:00:36 pm
      well in that case we need to move him on, 'm sure there wouldn't be any issue finding a buyer, then get Alcantara signed up

Not saying that's what he'll be planning on doing, like. But you'd imagine it's at least a possibility
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #42229: Aug 11, 2020 04:04:12 pm
      It could be the opportunity to play a more attacking role. 

Dunno, usually for us he only scores difficult goals....he always fluffs the easy ones.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42230: Aug 11, 2020 04:20:13 pm
      I wonder if maybe current management are more willing to let a key player play out his contract and, if the player wants to leave, let him go without collecting a transfer fee.

Klopp places a high value on team chemistry, spirit or whatever. If a player feels more valued as a person than just a piece of property, and if the club aren't about buying heavily, such an approach might fit. Our transfers out seem to nearly all be players who weren't going to feature anyway.

My main point here being Gini may be allowed to leave next summer.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42231: Aug 11, 2020 04:43:58 pm
      I wonder if maybe current management are more willing to let a key player play out his contract and, if the player wants to leave, let him go without collecting a transfer fee.

Klopp places a high value on team chemistry, spirit or whatever. If a player feels more valued as a person than just a piece of property, and if the club aren't about buying heavily, such an approach might fit. Our transfers out seem to nearly all be players who weren't going to feature anyway.

Lewandowski springs to mind at Dortmund
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42232: Aug 11, 2020 05:52:54 pm

Not so sure myself. We've lost Balotelli, Can, Moreno, Sturridge, Clyne, Markovic and Lallana all on a free transfer after we paid around £115m total for them, and 5 of them players have left in the space of a year. Can't see us happily letting another player leave for nothing when he cost us £25mill, not with funds being severely limited as it is.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42233: Aug 11, 2020 06:03:04 pm
      Not so sure myself. We've lost Balotelli, Can, Moreno, Sturridge, Clyne, Markovic and Lallana all on a free transfer after we paid around £115m total for them, and 5 of them players have left in the space of a year. Can't see us happily letting another player leave for nothing when he cost us £25mill, not with funds being severely limited as it is.

Exactly, if he wants to leave then we sell him now and he leaves in a year, we can't afford to let players leave on a free.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42234: Aug 11, 2020 08:00:20 pm

But the value ledger isn't just based on transfer fees. Using Gini as an example, he brings us value with his on-field performances over the next season, so even if he ends up leaving, it won't just be transfer-in/transfer-out that is considered. I have no idea if he will decide to stay of course, but I don't think it's an automatic that someone is sold if they don't extend their contract, with some of the examples you list being exhibits for that.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42235: Aug 12, 2020 01:17:19 am
      but I don't think it's an automatic that someone is sold if they don't extend their contract, with some of the examples you list being exhibits for that.

The majority of the ones above all left on a free because we couldn’t sell them, despite trying to do so. Nobody would pay to sign Balotelli and Markovic so we ended up letting them go for free before their contracts had even expired, Clyne would have been sold but for the injury, nobody would pay to sign Moreno and nobody offered an acceptable amount for Lallana who was also allowed to leave a year ago. The only players we intentionally let leave for nothing were Can who tried to hold us to ransom and get paid more than he was worth and Sturridge.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42236: Aug 12, 2020 02:10:18 am
      The majority of the ones above all left on a free because we couldn’t sell them, despite trying to do so. Nobody would pay to sign Balotelli and Markovic so we ended up letting them go for free before their contracts had even expired, Clyne would have been sold but for the injury, nobody would pay to sign Moreno and nobody offered an acceptable amount for Lallana who was also allowed to leave a year ago. The only players we intentionally let leave for nothing were Can who tried to hold us to ransom and get paid more than he was worth and Sturridge.

Yes, Can and Sturridge are who I'm thinking of as examples, and I don't recall the club trying to sell Lallana so I would include him with that group. We'll see if Gini goes this route as well.

Balotelli and Markovic were two of the worst purchases ever so I don't know if they quite factor into this example. As you say, NOBODY was going to buy them. Agree that Clyne would have gone for something. Now obviously the club has done well in the past few years in getting a nice fee for players who didn't really contribute that much. There should be a few more of those this window with Ojo, Ovie Ejaria and Harry Wilson heading out - I guess we'll see what kind of fees they bring.

But I still contend that Jürgen is willing to let players who he deems part of the main group, who have begun approaching the end of their window to be a main player with us, leave without a transfer fee. I was thinking Lucas Leiva here also, but in checking I see now that he did bring a 5 million transfer fee.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #42237: Aug 12, 2020 09:14:26 am
      Yes, Can and Sturridge are who I'm thinking of as examples, and I don't recall the club trying to sell Lallana so I would include him with that group. We'll see if Gini goes this route as well.

Balotelli and Markovic were two of the worst purchases ever so I don't know if they quite factor into this example. As you say, NOBODY was going to buy them. Agree that Clyne would have gone for something. Now obviously the club has done well in the past few years in getting a nice fee for players who didn't really contribute that much. There should be a few more of those this window with Ojo, Ovie Ejaria and Harry Wilson heading out - I guess we'll see what kind of fees they bring.

But I still contend that Jürgen is willing to let players who he deems part of the main group, who have begun approaching the end of their window to be a main player with us, leave without a transfer fee. I was thinking Lucas Leiva here also, but in checking I see now that he did bring a 5 million transfer fee.

If it was up to Jürgen he probably would rather Wijnaldum see out his contract but if the club accept a bid he's pretty powerless in the situation. If we were to sell him now I think we'd still get in the region of £20-£30M for him (let's say £25M), then add in his wages which are probably around the £100k p/w mark which is £5.2M per annum, so the way those at the top are probably looking at it is if we let him see out his deal we're basically missing out on around £30M give or take

That being said, he is a starter and has shown he's pretty integral to the way the team play, and with money obviously being tight at the minute would we be able to get another world class midfielder for a similar figure, who could maybe play Wijnaldum's role? Very unlikely, unless Thiago?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42238: Aug 12, 2020 09:18:47 am
      If it was up to Jürgen he probably would rather Wijnaldum see out his contract but if the club accept a bid he's pretty powerless in the situation. If we were to sell him now I think we'd still get in the region of £20-£30M for him (let's say £25M), then add in his wages which are probably around the £100k p/w mark which is £5.2M per annum, so the way those at the top are probably looking at it is if we let him see out his deal we're basically missing out on around £30M give or take

That being said, he is a starter and has shown he's pretty integral to the way the team play, and with money obviously being tight at the minute would we be able to get another world class midfielder for a similar figure, who could maybe play Wijnaldum's role? Very unlikely, unless Thiago?

Considering that we routinely need to sell players before we buy them I doubt that Klopp will just willingly let players run down their contracts unless their resale value is extremely low. If and its a big if, Gini wants out then good luck and thanks to the lad but get him sold in this window, Gini would easily fetch north of £25m, money that would go towards signing Alcantara.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #42239: Aug 12, 2020 09:32:01 am
      Considering that we routinely need to sell players before we buy them I doubt that Klopp will just willingly let players run down their contracts unless their resale value is extremely low. If and its a big if, Gini wants out then good luck and thanks to the lad but get him sold in this window, Gini would easily fetch north of £25m, money that would go towards signing Alcantara.

That's it. There's going to be potential lower revenues again in the coming season, so I think if he's not going to sign a deal we need to strike while the iron is hot and get Thiago in while we can (or at least recoup a fee), otherwise we'll find ourselves in a situation in 12 months time where one of our regular starters has left for zilch and we'll possibly have to fork out north of 50M + wages for a suitable replacement, after just finishing a season were we've had drastically lower matchday revenue
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42240: Aug 12, 2020 12:37:08 pm

Everything i see tells me the club management is not divided re player personnel decisions. There is not unlimited buying power, especially now, but that doesn't mean owners and manager are working at cross purposes. It seems rather evident, actually, that their unified approach is one of the big reasons for our recent success.

Can you name a previous player who Jürgen wanted to keep andt the club sold because it wanted the money or accepted a bid rather than the player staying here for another season?

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #42241: Aug 12, 2020 01:13:52 pm
      Can you name a previous player who Jürgen wanted to keep andt the club sold because it wanted the money or accepted a bid rather than the player staying here for another season?

Well Coutinho would be one. Klopp wanted him to stay right up until the end, he was tied down to a lengthy contract so we weren't obliged to sell him. But Barcelona then decided they wanted to make him the second most expensive player in history so FSG accepted their bid. I'm sure relationships are healthy between the board & manager but at the end of the day FSG own the club so they will always have the final say.

I just can't see them allowing Wijnaldum to see out his contract. It's not like Lallana, Clyne or Sturridge. Wijnaldum is a world class midfielder at peak age, even with 12 months left on his contract we should still be able to realistically get around £25M for him this window. If we allow him to leave on a free we will end up in a position were we possibly need to find £50M+ out of nowhere to purchase a suitable replacement. Will we even have £50M+ to spend on a top replacement in 12 months time? Nobody can predict what will happen in the coming year and how that will affect us financially. More lockdowns & postponements of football are still very much a possibility. Next season will be our lowest for matchday revenue, certainly in the "modern era". FSG will be more than aware of all of this so I'm doubtful that they would (in essence) decide to keep Wijnladum at the club for another season at an all-in cost over around £30M +

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2020 01:38:41 pm by TameImpala »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #42242: Aug 12, 2020 01:14:24 pm
      Not sure if the source is good enough to start a thread?

https://twitter.com/sr_collings/status/1293480289197600769

Exciting young player but don't know if there's better value out there for 40m+?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #42243: Aug 12, 2020 01:19:19 pm

Exciting young player but don't know if there's better value out there for 40m+?

PL clubs don't get much for £40m these days mate.

You might get a top proven player with only a year left on his contract for £40 million but with a promising player like Sarr who only signed a season ago that's what you can expect to pay.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #42244: Aug 12, 2020 01:41:12 pm

If they are going to pay that much, why didn't they just pay a little more for Werner? A player Klopp apparently already spoke to and wanted? Yea wages would be a big factor, but now if Afcon does happen during the season in two years time, that would be 3 of our front 4 that would be gone at the same time?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #42245: Aug 12, 2020 01:46:02 pm
      If they are going to pay that much, why didn't they just pay a little more for Werner? A player Klopp apparently already spoke to and wanted? Yea wages would be a big factor, but now if Afcon does happen during the season in two years time, that would be 3 of our front 4 that would be gone at the same time?

Wages is a major factor.

Also isn't AFCON on during the Summer now?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #42246: Aug 12, 2020 02:44:51 pm
      Wages is a major factor.

Also isn't AFCON on during the Summer now?

Next year
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42247: Aug 12, 2020 04:12:02 pm
      Haven't seen any good sourcin g on this. Player had a good game against us, and I doubt there's more to it than that
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #42248: Aug 12, 2020 05:36:52 pm
      Haven't seen any good sourcin g on this. Player had a good game against us, and I doubt there's more to it than that

Not sure if what you consider a good source but there this.....

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-fc-transfer-news-watford-ismaila-sarr-a4522661.html
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #42249: Aug 12, 2020 05:57:01 pm
      Watford want 40m for him no from me may as well have got Werner
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #42250: Aug 12, 2020 07:03:35 pm