Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4198802 times
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #42320: Aug 18, 2020 05:11:58 pm
      How about Suarez, I'd have him back, imagine that forward line and bench!!

Suarez would be too god to be true. With Salah, Mane and Firmino they would wreak havoc.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #42321: Aug 18, 2020 05:20:21 pm
      Because he's the best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt, his goal against Bayern the other night was a thing of absolute beauty

What !!

Gerrard
      Kenny
      Barnes
      Rush
      Beardsley
      Torres
      Owen
      Fowler
      Souness
      Hansen
      Keegan

Just a few names
      Kopite78
      Reply #42322: Aug 18, 2020 05:20:53 pm
      Apparantly that was the case but for fear of going off topic won't go into it.
      Pains me to say it but think the snake was better than Barnes.

Better get back on topic   ;D

Nah not for me he wasnt

Briefly the story was that he hadnt really settled and the dressing room was brutal for banter, he was shy.
      He hadnt scored yet for Liverpool and yet still asked for a pay rise which Bob didn't take too kindly to

He scored his first goal for the club just after that and never looked back

Nothing to do with demanding to be in the team
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42323: Aug 18, 2020 05:35:16 pm
      You close your eyes when Stevie played?

To be fair, Suarez’ natural ability is right up there with the best. I’m not saying he’s better than what Gerrard was, but Gerrard has said himself that Suarez is the best he’s played with and how good he is.

Suarez wasn’t at the club long enough to really cement himself as one of the best we’ve ever had but the potential was definitely there had he stayed.

There’s a reason why he’s scored over 400 goals in 600(ish) appearances and then another 60 goals for his country. Whilst getting a lot of assists too.

Like him or hate him, there’s no denying his talent.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42324: Aug 18, 2020 05:44:21 pm
      Not in the same league as Rush mate. Was you about in those days as don't know your age Kopite. One of the most clinical finishers of his generation. Paisley put him on the transfer list because  Rush said if he didn't put him in the first team he was off.  ;D However, Rushie went on as we all know to be in my opinion the best striker you ever had. The snake wouldn't of licked his boots he was that good.

I hope you're kidding.
      Rush was many things, but he wasn't anywhere near as good a footballer as Barnes.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42325: Aug 18, 2020 05:48:29 pm
      I hope you're kidding.
      Rush was many things, but he wasn't anywhere near as good a footballer as Barnes.

You do know we are on the transfer thread.  :D I'm not discrediting Barnes. I'm just saying Rushie was better, in my opinion.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42326: Aug 18, 2020 05:50:23 pm
      You do know we are on the transfer thread.  :D I'm not discrediting Barnes. I'm just saying Rushie was better, in my opinion.

I know, but just to make myself clear; Rush was a great striker, Barnes was a great all round footballer.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42327: Aug 18, 2020 05:57:02 pm
      I know, but just to make myself clear; Rush was a great striker, Barnes was a great all round footballer.

Defo last post on here before we all get warned  ;D

You've probably hit nail on head here as both played different rolls in the team so to make a comparison with a striker to Barnes who mostly played on the left wing for his career is a little unfair on both players.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42328: Aug 18, 2020 08:19:54 pm
      You close your eyes when Stevie played?

No not at all, but I still maintain Suarez is the best I've seen in terms of flair and magic.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42329: Aug 18, 2020 08:22:53 pm
      What !!

Gerrard
      Kenny
      Barnes
      Rush
      Beardsley
      Torres
      Owen
      Fowler
      Souness
      Hansen
      Keegan

Just a few names

Well yes, all amazing players but I only go back as far as 95 in this evaluation of Suarez. Fowler was brilliant as well but in terms of creating chances out of thin air it has to be Suarez.
      Kopite78
      Reply #42330: Aug 18, 2020 08:26:20 pm
      Well yes, all amazing players but I only go back as far as 95 in this evaluation of Suarez. Fowler was brilliant as well but in terms of creating chances out of thin air it has to be Suarez.

But who would I put my money on to score 'that' chance?

Robbie every time

Creating chances out if thin air is only one part of the game

No not at all, but I still maintain Suarez is the best I've seen in terms of flair and magic.

As an all round footballer

Stevie 100%
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,231 posts | 1650 
      Reply #42331: Aug 18, 2020 08:46:47 pm
      But who would I put my money on to score 'that' chance?

Robbie every time

Creating chances out if thin air is only one part of the game

Stevie 100%

You would probably say Sean Dundee better than Suarez
      Kopite78
      Reply #42332: Aug 18, 2020 08:55:46 pm
      You would probably say Sean Dundee better than Suarez

No I wouldnt

Suarez better than Dundee 👍

Controversial me suggesting Gerrard and Barnes are better than him eh
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,231 posts | 1650 
      Reply #42333: Aug 18, 2020 09:16:09 pm
      No I wouldnt

Suarez better than Dundee 👍

Controversial me suggesting Gerrard and Barnes are better than him eh

Bit of banter mate . Dont disagree about both choices TBH Barnes for a couple of seasons one of the best players around in the world never mind England and Stevie what else is ther e to say . I do think though that Suarez was capable of moments that few very players could even dream of
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42334: Aug 18, 2020 09:23:14 pm

Stevie 100%

Souness for me.

Gerrard stood out in relatively poor teams, Souness stood out in great teams.

He was a F***ing colossus in midfield.

As an attacking midfielder, Gerrard, but all round midfielder, Souness every time for me.
      Kopite78
      Reply #42335: Aug 18, 2020 09:58:39 pm
      Souness for me.

Gerrard stood out in relatively poor teams, Souness stood out in great teams.

He was a f**king colossus in midfield.

As an attacking midfielder, Gerrard, but all round midfielder, Souness every time for me.

Souness was a bit before my time but I've heard enough stories and watched enough videos  to appreciate simply how good Souey was, wouldnt argue that

Stevie though for me you're doing down slightly (only by bigging up Suey and nothing at all against Gerrard I get that) but this is a lad who played Right back, Right mid, as a 10, as a 8 and as a 6 in his career.. and when he played those positions he was the best RB, the best rm, the best 10, 8 or 6 in the team

You only have to see how his fellow players rated him, either at the club or at others, how players like Zidane, Xavi or Iniesta talk about him.
      There is talk about how he rates Suarez but look at how Suarez or Torres for examples rate him, who they had played with and yet they rate him as the best players they have played with

The lad was an unbelievable footballer who no matter what position he played he made it his own and was the stand out
      A lad who played 3 different positions in the 05 CL final and moved to them without a flicker or drop in performance

Suarez was a wonderful player but in my opinion not on Stevies level

And that was the comparison, Suarez and Gerrard not Suey and Gerrard as like I said I never saw him play week in week out but I tell you what if he was better than Gerrard then f**k me you were lucky to watch him
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42336: Aug 18, 2020 10:49:51 pm
      Souness was a bit before my time but I've heard enough stories and watched enough videos  to appreciate simply how good Souey was, wouldnt argue that

Stevie though for me you're doing down slightly (only by bigging up Suey and nothing at all against Gerrard I get that) but this is a lad who played Right back, Right mid, as a 10, as a 8 and as a 6 in his career.. and when he played those positions he was the best RB, the best rm, the best 10, 8 or 6 in the team

You only have to see how his fellow players rated him, either at the club or at others, how players like Zidane, Xavi or Iniesta talk about him.
      There is talk about how he rates Suarez but look at how Suarez or Torres for examples rate him, who they had played with and yet they rate him as the best players they have played with

The lad was an unbelievable footballer who no matter what position he played he made it his own and was the stand out
      A lad who played 3 different positions in the 05 CL final and moved to them without a flicker or drop in performance

Suarez was a wonderful player but in my opinion not on Stevies level

And that was the comparison, Suarez and Gerrard not Suey and Gerrard as like I said I never saw him play week in week out but I tell you what if he was better than Gerrard then f**k me you were lucky to watch him

I get where you're coming from, and not doing Gerrard down at all, but a few of points I'd make, are
      1) having to shift Gerrard into different positions was really a mark of how poor our depth was;
      2) in 2005 there was a big Gerrard shaped hole that Kaka waltzed through at will until we brought Didi on which to me showed a bit of a lack of defensive discipline in his game, something often spoken about.
      3) I rate Gerrard as one of the best attacking mids I've seen, either for us or anyone else,
      4) I'm talking about a pure midfield general in Souness. He was a F***ing monster. He could do everything and at a time when British footballers rarely went abroad (and at the age of 31) he went to Italy and proved his technical prowess there.

Then we have the fact that Souness played in truly great teams, and often stood out.

Gerrard played in mostly mediocre teams that occasionally had good players in them.

I'd have loved both of them in the same team, but Gerrard would have had a "free role", with Souness running the midfield.

It's a fine distinction I'm making here, and let's not forget, while Gerrard was a great intimidator, he wouldn't have got away with it against Souness.

So, I'd say a Suarez comparison is a bit moot anyway, because of different positions.
      Could Suarez have played midfield? No.
      Could Gerrard have played up front? Yes And that's why I make the distinction between attacking midfielder and midfield general.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42337: Aug 20, 2020 07:50:28 pm
      Is there a different end date for the summer window this year?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #42338: Aug 20, 2020 07:57:16 pm
      Yeh think it is first week in October!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42339: Aug 20, 2020 08:14:09 pm
      Yeh think it is first week in October!

Oct 5th to be precise  :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,193 posts | 6346 
      Reply #42340: Aug 21, 2020 01:52:19 pm
      Watching a youtube of TAW and they were saying something about our squad numbers (quantity) and saying that we basically would have to get rid of a player before we can sign anyone. Something possibly related to the number of homegrown players and foreign players we have registered. Maybe someone can shed some light, but they are saying that literally we can't sign a foreign player until we get rid of at least one.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42341: Aug 21, 2020 02:58:23 pm
      Watching a youtube of TAW and they were saying something about our squad numbers (quantity) and saying that we basically would have to get rid of a player before we can sign anyone. Something possibly related to the number of homegrown players and foreign players we have registered. Maybe someone can shed some light, but they are saying that literally we can't sign a foreign player until we get rid of at least one.

Think it would have been highlighted a lot more by now if that was the case.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42342: Aug 21, 2020 04:30:17 pm

We have to have 8 players developed in England and 4 at the club. Have to be in England/LFC for three years before you are 21 to count for those . I would have to look at last year's official squad to see our quota. Of course we lost Lallana who is a home grown (England) player.

Quick Reply