Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4209896 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #42711: Sep 10, 2020 05:59:08 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000md9j

Posted this in The Kop but Jürgen goes into detail about transfer policy as relates to this season during this interview on BBC 5 Live. It's the first 20 minutes of the programme, worth a listen.

There are ways to improve the squad besides buying other players. He discusses here.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #42712: Sep 10, 2020 07:16:02 pm
      FFS. We have spent less than Stoke over the last 5 years, nothing to do with covid, we are run by minges and we will fall behind
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #42713: Sep 10, 2020 07:26:19 pm
      FFS. We have spent less than Stoke over the last 5 years, nothing to do with covid, we are run by minges and we will fall behind

Yet we won so many things at the end of these five years. Our success had less to do with spending then? It's your right to your own opinion or judgement on the management. But the future nobody knows. That's your own assumption whether we'll fall behind or not. Of course we're now on top. The way forward is maintain or down. Literally you will be correct.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2454 
      Reply #42714: Sep 10, 2020 08:07:42 pm

Fall behind ourselves?

Let's just see how things pan out from now until the transfer window closes before slating the owners who completely turned this club around.

We might bring in a couple of players or we might not. Either way we will still be challengers for the title this season. If we sign no one else then I don't see us challenging for any other silverware but a successive PL title will be good enough for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42715: Sep 11, 2020 08:52:22 am
      You seem to be measuring success on how much we spend rather than what we win, mad that like.

Stoke are sh*t, winning f**k all except relegation, we aren't sh*t and winning titles.

Personally I'll take every transfer window signing the likes of Andy Robbo for £8m if that's what gives us what we want.

You are far to binary in your thinking. Yes we are achieving success, amazing success, but so did Man Utd throughout much of this century but they freshened up the team every single window, its essential to keep improving and also keep players on their toes. We have now had an essentially static squad for 3 seasons, that's risky and makes it incredibly hard to keep the players super focussed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42716: Sep 11, 2020 09:26:06 am
      You are far to binary in your thinking. Yes we are achieving success, amazing success, but so did Man Utd throughout much of this century but they freshened up the team every single window, its essential to keep improving and also keep players on their toes. We have now had an essentially static squad for 3 seasons, that's risky and makes it incredibly hard to keep the players super focussed.

in 95/96 when they won the double they only signed 2 young goalkeepers who han no impact in the 11. This was of course when they brought through there class of 92....Interesting actually as they operated that way the year they list the title to Blackburn....
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42717: Sep 11, 2020 09:38:00 am
      in 95/96 when they won the double they only signed 2 young goalkeepers who han no impact in the 11. This was of course when they brought through there class of 92....Interesting actually as they operated that way the year they list the title to Blackburn....

ok so you found 2 years where they didn't freshen up, bravo, but you know that my point is valid, its important to continually keep evolving the team, Liverpool used to do that back in the day as well.
      It could be argued that our youngsters are providing that freshness at the moment, but I still think they are maybe a year off really challenging for places, but perhaps some are closer than others.

In any case it is what it is and I think we'll have a good season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #42718: Sep 11, 2020 09:43:41 am
      ok so you found 2 years where they didn't freshen up, bravo, but you know that my point is valid, its important to continually keep evolving the team, Liverpool used to do that back in the day as well.
      It could be argued that our youngsters are providing that freshness at the moment, but I still think they are maybe a year off really challenging for places, but perhaps some are closer than others.

I don't think anyone is debating that it can benefit to freshen the squad up just that it doesn't always have to be the case and this summer is a summer like no other.

Like I said to you we did buy a new forward this calender year who is only just really bedding in and we improved at LB which was an area we had no cover so the squad has been freshened up.

If you think you and you alone are only thinking about the squad in the medium to long term then you have a really high opinion of yourself agent when the club pay people a fortune to be doing exactly this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42719: Sep 11, 2020 09:57:19 am

Nope highlighted one season as proof you dont have to add if your current squad is good enough and you have a good crop of young players, sound familiar?

As another example in 86 we won the double. We signed Venison, Staunton, Aldtidge and Spackman to the squad and in 87 won nothing. Its swings and roundabouts. You can add all you want and win nothing or you can nothing but kuds from your academy and win everything. Moaning about it before a bslls kicked jyst smacks of negativity
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #42720: Sep 11, 2020 10:02:57 am
      First post in a while; my view is I'm happy to go with the club's decision if it's that we need no further signings this window, however, I feel we might struggle with largely the same group of players playing an even more intensive season than the the previous 2. 

We regularly play the same 13/14 in the league and champions league and I genuinely fear burnout/injuries to key players that haven't had significant injuries in the past 2 seasons.

A couple of key signings would give us more options, given players occasional, much-needed rest and help with the motivation of the players (not saying they won't be motivated under JK, just that it's a bit easier with a couple of fresh faces/competition).

May sound like I'm contradicting myself above, what I'm trying to say is whilst I trust the club regards transfer-policy, my personal view is that we may struggle this season with no changes/significant additions to the current squad.

Only time will tell, but I'm certain the road will be a lot bumpier than the last couple of seasons but hope I'm very wrong.

Roll on 5: 30 tomorrow!  COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #42721: Sep 11, 2020 04:11:56 pm
      I have a genuine question (really, it is genuine) I would like to ask.

So a lot of us in this thread and the Thiago one argued back and forth about why we don't have money to spend and why we are on a ''sell then buy'' approach. I was one of those that had a hint of frustration because I felt we shouldn't be that strapped for cash when we literally won about everything except an FA cup but at the end of the day people on this board with more financial knowledge than me came through and made number backed arguments (in the middle of the wars some people had in those threads) that explained to me the situation and made me accept it better.

My question(s) is this: We know our actual situation but do we know how much of it is due to our model (wage structure, unwillingness to move for certain types of players, wanting to bring competition from the academy, etc.), how much of it is the uncertainty brought in by the pandemic and how much of it is due to our general financial situation as a club?

Also, how overblown is winning the Premier League in terms of what the collective imaginary thinks brings back in money (prize money but also in brand exposure/expansion) compared to what it does in reality?

Meaning, I expected us not to go on a crazy spending spree because we won a league tittle but I was hoping for us to be able to display just a tiny bit more of financial power as a result. The Thiago situation being a perfect example. We have an amazing starting 11 and I don't think we need to spend big money to improve it but it would be nice, in the context of him being on the last year of his contract, to be able to pounce on an opportunity to add a world class midfielder to our team without necessarily having to sell one of our own. (Of course wage must be considered on top of the transfer fee but you get my point, it still ends up being a bargain for a player like him.)

I guess what I am trying to say/ask is, considering we know Klopp likes him and assuming he would like to join us, how much of us not moving for him without raising the funds elsewhere is pandemic related, how much of it is model related and how much of it is just related to the general financial situation of the club regardless of the pandemic?

I am asking this just to get a clearer picture of the situation because I end up getting lost in between what is related to the pandemic, what is just us being cautious not to mess up the wage structure too much and what is related to us not having the required financial power. What can we realistically expect next summer assuming we are out of this pandemic?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #42722: Sep 11, 2020 04:31:25 pm
      Current Ronnie Rumour getting his keks on is Gini staying with Thiago still arriving.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #42723: Sep 11, 2020 04:32:43 pm
      I have a genuine question (really, it is genuine) I would like to ask.

So a lot of us in this thread and the Thiago one argued back and forth about why we don't have money to spend and why we are on a ''sell then buy'' approach. I was one of those that had a hint of frustration because I felt we shouldn't be that strapped for cash when we literally won about everything except an FA cup but at the end of the day people on this board with more financial knowledge than me came through and made number backed arguments (in the middle of the wars some people had in those threads) that explained to me the situation and made me accept it better.

My question(s) is this: We know our actual situation but do we know how much of it is due to our model (wage structure, unwillingness to move for certain types of players, wanting to bring competition from the academy, etc.), how much of it is the uncertainty brought in by the pandemic and how much of it is due to our general financial situation as a club?

Also, how overblown is winning the Premier League in terms of what the collective imaginary thinks brings back in money (prize money but also in brand exposure/expansion) compared to what it does in reality?

Meaning, I expected us not to go on a crazy spending spree because we won a league tittle but I was hoping for us to be able to display just a tiny bit more of financial power as a result. The Thiago situation being a perfect example. We have an amazing starting 11 and I don't think we need to spend big money to improve it but it would be nice, in the context of him being on the last year of his contract, to be able to pounce on an opportunity to add a world class midfielder to our team without necessarily having to sell one of our own. (Of course wage must be considered on top of the transfer fee but you get my point, it still ends up being a bargain for a player like him.)

I guess what I am trying to say/ask is, considering we know Klopp likes him and assuming he would like to join us, how much of us not moving for him without raising the funds elsewhere is pandemic related, how much of it is model related and how much of it is just related to the general financial situation of the club regardless of the pandemic?

I am asking this just to get a clearer picture of the situation because I end up getting lost in between what is related to the pandemic, what is just us being cautious not to mess up the wage structure too much and what is related to us not having the required financial power. What can we realistically expect next summer assuming we are out of this pandemic?

I honestly think it's a combination of three things.

The model.

The Covid situation.

The squad in terms of numbers and squad harmony.

Did I also read today somewhere that we are at the limit for overseas players in the squad for the Premier League?  I didn't even think about that until now and if true could also be a reason for the delay on any Thiago move.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #42724: Sep 11, 2020 05:33:21 pm

The model.

The Covid situation.

Did I also read today somewhere that we are at the limit for overseas players in the squad for the Premier League?  I didn't even think about that until now and if true could also be a reason for the delay on any Thiago move.

I posted something about the home grown issue awhile back and someone told me to pound sand, but from what I understand, we'd have to sell a foreign player before we could buy one.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #42725: Sep 11, 2020 05:49:41 pm
      I posted something about the home grown issue awhile back and someone told me to pound sand, but from what I understand, we'd have to sell a foreign player before we could buy one.

That's what I read today mate.

Now we could buy a foreign player then worry about moving one out but that definitely isn't the FSG way.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #42726: Sep 11, 2020 06:41:22 pm

The model.

The Covid situation.

Did I also read today somewhere that we are at the limit for overseas players in the squad for the Premier League? I didn't even think about that until now and if true could also be a reason for the delay on any Thiago move.
      I had no idea about that. That's an interesting and enlightening piece of info here.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #42727: Sep 11, 2020 08:15:17 pm
      That's what I read today mate.

Now we could buy a foreign player then worry about moving one out but that definitely isn't the FSG way.

Actually what I read was that we couldn’t sign a foreign player without moving one on first. The supposition was as Grujic would be the most likely to leave first to make room for another incoming.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #42728: Sep 11, 2020 08:31:02 pm
      Actually what I read was that we couldn’t sign a foreign player without moving one on first. The supposition was as Grujic would be the most likely to leave first to make room for another incoming.

I think a club can buy as many overseas players that they want though, it's the registration that becomes the issue.

I agree, there's no way FSG don't move one out first but in theory you could buy Thiago then move someone our before registering the players.
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #42729: Sep 12, 2020 11:15:28 pm
      Opinion hasn't changed need a couple of signings
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42730: Sep 13, 2020 12:22:16 am
      Opinion hasn't changed need a couple of signings

Today’s performance highlighted that further.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #42731: Sep 13, 2020 01:49:25 am
      Today’s performance highlighted that further.

We also need Crowds back as soon as is possible.

Especially our Crowd. We are a different beast with our people in the stands!
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #42732: Sep 13, 2020 10:33:03 am
      Made up with the 3 points yesterday. But the game itself confirmed my fears at least.

We need another quality cb and ffs firmino needs some decent competition. We need to sign another forward or give taki a go there. Firmino has been too hot and cold for too long ... and i love bobby. But he needs to be pushed for his place.

Sell shaq, grujic Wilson and brewster if they are not wanted ... get a cb and forward in.

Complacency is setting in ... clear as day. Defence is shocking. Its not a lack of quality though. Chelsea will fancy their chances next week. Werner on his home debut, pullicic etc with his pace will be licking their lips. Gonna be tough and the way we are defending I can't see us keeping them to less than 2/3 goals.

On the plus side at least we have retained that ability to dig it out when we need it most and find a way.

Need to tighten up pronto and add a couple of new faces.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #42733: Sep 13, 2020 10:59:08 am
      And based on the performance yesterday, calls for better players will increase. Those without any suggestions will probably just stop there. Those with some idea or solution will want to accelerate the Thiago acquisition just because he has been linked to us for the longest time. Or because our midfield broke down yesterday.

This normal fan reaction will likely play out over these few days.

Quick Reply