Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4178912 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #43424: Jan 04, 2021 04:22:14 am
      World class players are always world class, not just at contract renewal time and when they are in the mood.

Not disagreeing Heimy
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43425: Jan 04, 2021 09:26:36 am
      How can anyone argue that we don't desperately need a CB?

And an experienced one preferably.

Yes ideally we will get one. But the srats show its not the reason we are not clear at the top. We conceeded nearly twice as many goals with our first choice pairing in less games then we have without.

If we had Thiago fit Id argue wed have won the games we failed to win and therefore we wouldnt be as concerned about getting the centre half
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #43426: Jan 04, 2021 09:28:09 am
      VVD was massive in build up play to our attack with long balls over the top and allowing play to open for him when he was on the ball. The big man doesn't get enough credit for his passing and aerial prowess in the box. Nat and Rys are not picking passes out at all and don't look particularly comfortable with the ball at their feet.

We need a CB for depth sure, but we also need one that can help on both sides of the pitch.

This 100%. VVD was instrumental to a lot of our attacking play with his range of passing from deep. Fab can do it to an extent but he's still fairly new to the CB role.

A CB like Skriniar or Koulibaly are the ideal replacements for Virgil as they have very good passing range also.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #43427: Jan 04, 2021 09:30:00 am
      Yes ideally we will get one. But the srats show its not the reason we are not clear at the top. We conceeded nearly twice as many goals with our first choice pairing in less games then we have without.

If we had Thiago fit Id argue wed have won the games we failed to win and therefore we wouldnt be as concerned about getting the centre half

I know mate and I think Thiago will make a huge difference to out attack.

But what happens if another CB gets injured? If we lose Fab we are in massive trouble. Are we really going to take that risk?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43428: Jan 04, 2021 09:39:09 am
      Its funny, the panic about the centre half. Weve played 11 league games since we lost VVD. We have conceeded 7.

Our problem is at least an equal if not more so up fromt or in midfield creating chances

Won't be very funny if Fabinho also gets injured will it?

We desperately need to bring in CB's, in my opinion we need two, one young up and coming CB, like Per Schuurs/Sven Botman, and one more senior CB, possibly on loan until we our first choice CB's are available again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43429: Jan 04, 2021 10:38:57 am

We desperately need to bring in CB's, in my opinion we need two, one young up and coming CB, like Per Schuurs/Sven Botman, and one more senior CB, possibly on loan until we our first choice CB's are available again.

Another rare occasion where we agree mate.

I do understand the viewpoint that out attack hasn't been functioning as well recently but as you say an injury to Fabinho now leaves us with two rookie CB, one of whom I'm not convinced is very good, and no way we should be in that position.

Even if we can't get out top targets like you say I'd be looking at an experienced CB who fits our system even on loan if possible.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43430: Jan 04, 2021 11:42:08 am

We agree on Schurrs. Just dont see us getting him, certainly not in January. Botman, as Ive admitted to previously, I knew nothing of so looked up video clips. Looks to be built like a brick but Id have concerns that he is ratef from 2 vastly inferior leagues and looks very rash in the tackle.

Outside of that your looking at us getting rode price wise or buying young and unproven, which we already have
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #43431: Jan 04, 2021 12:57:02 pm
      From The Guardian:

At Newcastle (Klopp) fielded the versatile, but out-of-position, Fabinho and the inexperienced Nathaniel Phillips at the heart of his back four but Klopp ā€“ who also has the 19-year-old centre-back Rhys Williams in his squad ā€“ indicated he was unlikely to sign cover during the current transfer window and preferred to promote from within.

ā€œWe have solutions within the squad but, if we can do something in the window, I donā€™t know,ā€ he said. ā€œIt is like that. It is a very difficult transfer window. Not all of the clubs have real money. Doing something makes no sense. Doing the right thing makes sense. So far we really liked what we have done. We have three centre-halves at the moment. I liked Nat [Phillips] at Newcastle. Heā€™s a clever boy and is using his ability to help us a lot.ā€

It may be that he's just trying to avoid sounding desperate to keep any potential price down. It's hard to think he would be putting that much trust in two players who, respectively, were at Kidderminster Harriers and in Bundesliga 2 last season, but after spending the money on Jota, Tsimikas and Thiago following a season with reduced revenues, maybe there is a financial restraint in place.

If we were really going to do something, wouldn't we likely have done it by now? We're shorthanded now.

Here's the thing though...he literally admits we have 3 center halves. Now I'm not sure if he's including Fab or Matip in that number, but either way, no team should ever only consider that they have 3 center halves. I think that says it all right there. We HAVE to bring someone in if for no other reason we need some cover in case one of the other 3 gets an injury. 
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43432: Jan 04, 2021 01:10:02 pm
      VVD was massive in build up play to our attack with long balls over the top and allowing play to open for him when he was on the ball. The big man doesn't get enough credit for his passing and aerial prowess in the box. Nat and Rys are not picking passes out at all and don't look particularly comfortable with the ball at their feet.

We need a CB for depth sure, but we also need one that can help on both sides of the pitch.

Right, the two lads look a bit unsure and seem to need the experience of Fab beside them.
      VVD, Matip can play the long balls and nick some important goals for us too from set pieces.
      Right now, anything happens to Fab and we're screwed.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43433: Jan 04, 2021 01:15:28 pm
      Here's the thing though...he literally admits we have 3 center halves. Now I'm not sure if he's including Fab or Matip in that number, but either way, no team should ever only consider that they have 3 center halves. I think that says it all right there. We HAVE to bring someone in if for no other reason we need some cover in case one of the other 3 gets an injury.

I think he means Fab, Rhys and Nat, the three currently available. I see the need for additional numbers back there, but it's still possible the club doesn't do it because of long-term concerens, financial or whatever.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43434: Jan 04, 2021 01:31:32 pm

Do we know yet when Matip comes back? If it's only 2-3 weeks Klopp may ride it out, but if he's out end of season it would be foolish not to bring in reinforcements.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43435: Jan 04, 2021 01:43:59 pm
      Do we know yet when Matip comes back? If it's only 2-3 weeks Klopp may ride it out, but if he's out end of season it would be foolish not to bring in reinforcements.

Even if it's relatively soon let's be honest he's unlikely to remain injury free for too long.

It's a difficult one to know what to do and also will be difficult to buy this month as a lot of clubs will want to hang onto their players but we should at least be exploring options at the very least.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #43436: Jan 04, 2021 01:52:09 pm

Ride it out for Matip to return only to get injured again immediately for god knows how long?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43437: Jan 04, 2021 01:55:38 pm
      Even if it's relatively soon let's be honest he's unlikely to remain injury free for too long.

It's a difficult one to know what to do and also will be difficult to buy this month as a lot of clubs will want to hang onto their players but we should at least be exploring options at the very least.

I have no concerns about us not looking at options. We have heard how we scout players months, even years, before a transfer. We just do it outside of the public eye.

I am in the "get a CB" camp, but if we don't end up getting one, i trust Edwards and Klopp to make the right decision. The summer after we finished 2nd in the league with 97 points i don't believe we brought anyone in, which must have caused a ton of consternation, and yet we went on and walked the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43438: Jan 04, 2021 02:32:29 pm
      I have no concerns about us not looking at options. We have heard how we scout players months, even years, before a transfer. We just do it outside of the public eye.

I am in the "get a CB" camp, but if we don't end up getting one, i trust Edwards and Klopp to make the right decision. The summer after we finished 2nd in the league with 97 points i don't believe we brought anyone in, which must have caused a ton of consternation, and yet we went on and walked the league.

I agree 100% that we will have a list of options but I think if none of those are viable we need to think again.

I'm not saying just buy any old CB but sometimes planning, as meticulous as it is, isn't enough and plans need to change or be brought forward if possible.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #43439: Jan 04, 2021 02:44:57 pm
      I think the biggest plus with bringing in a decent CB is that it allows Fabinho the chance to move back into the middle, which will help with the silly late equalisers, and get hold of that midfield, which will in turn help out up front... Fab was SO important in the middle last year, and I think thatā€™s what we are missing the most.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #43440: Jan 04, 2021 02:45:03 pm

Think others have said it, but if he does come back in 2-3 weeks...can we count on him to be fit for the rest of the season? I'd wager no unfortunately. If Matip was as resilient as Robbo....holy cow imagine what a backline we'd have. He's world class in my eyes, but he just can't be counted on to be available week in and week out and that is an issue.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43441: Jan 04, 2021 02:54:00 pm
      Think others have said it, but if he does come back in 2-3 weeks...can we count on him to be fit for the rest of the season? I'd wager no unfortunately. If Matip was as resilient as Robbo....holy cow imagine what a backline we'd have. He's world class in my eyes, but he just can't be counted on to be available week in and week out and that is an issue.

Matip can't be relied on for more than 50% of the games so we MUST get at least one CB signed, if we don't then I will blame Edwards and Klopp because unless Joe or Virg have some sort of Lazarus like recovery we'll be fu**ed as I guarantee that at some point Fabinho will be injured at the same time at Joel, Joe and Virg.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43442: Jan 04, 2021 03:32:52 pm
      Klopp wonā€™t sign for the sake of signing, it has to be the right fit, and that is the problem, potential targets may not be available at the moment so therefore itā€™s possible no one comes in this window, it is a risk we all can see that, and itā€™s a risk JĆ¼rgen is prepared to take,

He knows his players better than anyone, knows their capabilities and frailties, hence him using Rhys & Nat next to Fabinho, I think he favours this option knowing Matipā€™s latest injury is relatively short, rather than just buying a player unfamiliar with his system and hoping he beds in well, and then be no better than he has already, in his eyes there is no difference except heā€™d be wasting/spending money he doesnā€™t have to,

Itā€™s early yet but I honestly donā€™t think anyone will come in, yet itā€™s also possible that Edwards as we type could be finalising the perfect deal.

Guess weā€™ll just have to wait and see !

Y  N  W  A
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #43443: Jan 04, 2021 04:26:17 pm
      How desperate do we have to be before we get a new CB, if Fab gets injured we're fu**ed, bye bye Premiership and Champions League, it's that tight we could even loose fourth place. It's not like we need a CB for cover if Virgil and Joe were fit then we still need cover as Joel isn't up to the rigours of the English game. With Virgil and Joe out it's a no brainier surly.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #43444: Jan 05, 2021 02:01:06 am
      Need a rebuild. Were still gonna contend and may even win it again, but that doesn't mean this team isn't aging and running its course. The blueprint is out against this group of players and people have figured out some of our limitations. It just is what it is.

Shanks and Paisley brought in new players even after winning big things because at this level, you have to. The margins are too fine. This team is a perfect example of that. Champs by a landslide last season to in a dog fight and on a bad run of form atm. The great teams adapt and stay on top. We will do so too.

I'd go all in on Haaland and Grealish and hope to land one. Edward's will get the rest right
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #43445: Jan 05, 2021 02:10:38 am

Problem with Matip is that even ir this time is just e weeks, chances are in a month he'll miss another 2-3 games for another small injury. I like Matip as a player but can't be relied to stay healthy for s long term.

I'm starting to think we won't bring anyone this window which I believe it's going to be a huge mistake.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #43446: Jan 05, 2021 05:16:51 am

I'd go all in on Haaland and Grealish and hope to land one. Edward's will get the rest right

The thought of these two in the same side gives me goose bumbs.  ;D  Absolutely formidable pairing.

Quick Reply