Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4206693 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #43884: Jan 30, 2021 09:23:02 pm

To say the club should have a stockpile of CBā€™s is not realistic I concede, but when plenty of supporters were worried going into the season because of our lack of a reasonable cover given the injury prone nature of 2 of our 3 starters I think the club management share some of the blame of not being prepared to handle this very situation we now find ourselves in. I was not a Lovren fan but Iā€™d have much rather had him here to play as opposed to Williams or Phillips. But even he was injury prone so I figured when we shipped him out it was because we were going to get some sort of more reliable backup in. Because letā€™s be honest, we arenā€™t talking about a 4th choice CB that we needed to buy before the season, we needed someone that could deputize for the 2nd spot because of Matip and Gomezā€™s injury record.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #43885: Jan 30, 2021 09:40:42 pm

To say the club should have a stockpile of CBā€™s is not realistic I concede, but when plenty of supporters were worried going into the season because of our lack of a reasonable cover given the injury prone nature of 2 of our 3 starters I think the club management share some of the blame of not being prepared to handle this very situation we now find ourselves in. I was not a Lovren fan but Iā€™d have much rather had him here to play as opposed to Williams or Phillips. But even he was injury prone so I figured when we shipped him out it was because we were going to get some sort of more reliable backup in. Because letā€™s be honest, we arenā€™t talking about a 4th choice CB that we needed to buy before the season, we needed someone that could deputize for the 2nd spot because of Matip and Gomezā€™s injury record.

Gomez's injury record is not what people make it out to be. When he's gotten hurt it's been with tough, long term injuries that are sh*t luck, unlike Matip, who is undeniably injury prone.

Klopp decided he didn't want that 4th CB because Fabinho is of far better quality there than anyone we would be able to bring in to play 4th fiddle, that much is clear. Maybe he thought he rather spend 27M on a world class Thiago to help us break down busses than 27M on a mediocre CB who would likely not even make the bench most of the season. I see no problem with that approach since no one can predict that in a span of 2 weeks we lose 2 CB's for the year.

CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #43886: Jan 30, 2021 09:46:58 pm
      Edit: and my criticism is addressed to whoever took the decision to go with 3 CBs (Klopp or management) and would've been the same even if we did not lost Joe and VVD and all was fine. My point is, starting a season with 3 Cbs is not a good idea.

And yet, in your previous post you said "Ps: I highly doubt this was a Klopp decision. He probably identified a target along with Edwards and they were probably told that they could only get it next summer and to hold tight until then."

Money was obviously available in the summer, and it is pretty clear that Klopp rather go with Fabinho as his 4th option and spend money elsewhere (Jota / Thiago / Tsimikas) because they were bigger needs, but when things don't go as planned, or the way you wanted them to, then it's because big bad management didn't let Klopp get his player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #43887: Jan 30, 2021 10:35:30 pm
      Gomez's injury record is not what people make it out to be. When he's gotten hurt it's been with tough, long term injuries that are sh*t luck, unlike Matip, who is undeniably injury prone.

Klopp decided he didn't want that 4th CB because Fabinho is of far better quality there than anyone we would be able to bring in to play 4th fiddle, that much is clear. Maybe he thought he rather spend 27M on a world class Thiago to help us break down busses than 27M on a mediocre CB who would likely not even make the bench most of the season. I see no problem with that approach since no one can predict that in a span of 2 weeks we lose 2 CB's for the year.

I mean a lot of us were worried about the lack of CB depth so yeah, I wasnā€™t expecting to lose 3 CBs, but I certainly thought it possible we could lose 2, and with out fixture list, it still shouldnā€™t have been a ā€œplanā€ to use midfielders as CB depth in my opinion. Klopp felt differently obviously but at this point it sure looks like we are in a pickle that might not have been as bad had we at least replaced Lovren.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #43888: Jan 31, 2021 12:26:58 am
      At the end of the day, certain people keep saying ā€˜you couldnā€™t have predicted before the seasonā€™ what we are going through with injuries right now, yet.... before the season 80% of the forum was predicting injuries and problems due to lack of numbers at the back and congested fixture lists... I hate that argument.

It was clear to see going into the season we didnā€™t have the numbers and as many people said, we would likely pay for it. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #43889: Jan 31, 2021 02:43:03 am
      Iā€™ve just looked in Amazon and thereā€™s no CBā€™s available?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #43890: Jan 31, 2021 01:51:25 pm
      At the end of the day, certain people keep saying ā€˜you couldnā€™t have predicted before the seasonā€™ what we are going through with injuries right now, yet.... before the season 80% of the forum was predicting injuries and problems due to lack of numbers at the back and congested fixture lists... I hate that argument.

It was clear to see going into the season we didnā€™t have the numbers and as many people said, we would likely pay for it. 

That's true, I even said myself before a ball was kicked it would be a record year for injuries sadly.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #43891: Jan 31, 2021 02:05:08 pm
      And yet, in your previous post you said "Ps: I highly doubt this was a Klopp decision. He probably identified a target along with Edwards and they were probably told that they could only get it next summer and to hold tight until then."

Money was obviously available in the summer, and it is pretty clear that Klopp rather go with Fabinho as his 4th option and spend money elsewhere (Jota / Thiago / Tsimikas) because they were bigger needs, but when things don't go as planned, or the way you wanted them to, then it's because big bad management didn't let Klopp get his player.
      I said that and then you proceeded to tell me that I wasn't there so I can't say if it was a Klopp decision or a management one. This is why I pointed out that I don't care who took the decision, it was, in my eyes, a bad one.

cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #43892: Jan 31, 2021 04:29:25 pm
      Just over 24 hrs to go TikTok Tik Tok, the onus is on Michael Edwards !!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2818 
      Reply #43893: Jan 31, 2021 05:21:13 pm
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #43894: Jan 31, 2021 05:33:21 pm
      If NJ says this, then looks likely its going to happen. Also never heard of him
      CT_LFC

• 6,808 posts | 1402 
      Reply #43895: Jan 31, 2021 06:36:12 pm
      If NJ says this, then looks likely its going to happen. Also never heard of him

I had to google the guy because i have never heard of him but we need quantity right now so no issue there.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #43896: Jan 31, 2021 06:49:14 pm
      If all we are looking for is quantity why donā€™t we just bring Carragher and hyypia our of retirement.
      Ben Davies is championship defender at best. And for Ā£2m I would not bother at all.

Most of our recent rumours (Mustafi, long etc) have been underwhelming and one of those is a World Cup winner! But this is surely not what we have targeted.

• Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,109 posts | 83 
      Reply #43897: Jan 31, 2021 06:50:38 pm
      If all we are looking for is quantity why donā€™t we just bring Carragher and hyypia our of retirement.

Actually I wonder. If Klopp asked Carra 4 weeks ago, don't u think the dude could come back to shape to match at least what Williams and Phillips do?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #43898: Jan 31, 2021 07:00:43 pm
      Klopp was just asked about Ben Davies..
      He replied ā€œBen Davies, Tottenham, I have nothing to say about that.ā€

Is he talking about the wrong Ben Davies? Or are the rumours wrong?

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #43899: Jan 31, 2021 07:07:57 pm
      There was a rumour that Preston were after Sepp van der Berg (one of our youngsters), so maybe a swap deal. Definitely makes sense to get somebody in, even just as a stop gap, to give us some cover. Don't know how good he is. He was going to go to Celtic in the summer apparently. At this late stage, I'm just happy we are in for somebody. (Whether he will bump Nat Phillips out of the team is another question. If he can, he'll be decent.)
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #43900: Jan 31, 2021 07:14:46 pm

He was messing around mate. Itā€™s the Davies from Preston.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #43901: Jan 31, 2021 07:15:06 pm

Klopp was joking.
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #43902: Jan 31, 2021 07:16:18 pm
      Fee agreed 2m Van den Berg going other way
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,229 posts | 2807 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43903: Jan 31, 2021 07:19:06 pm
      Fee agreed 2m Van den Berg going other way

on loan or permanent?
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #43904: Jan 31, 2021 07:19:30 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #43905: Jan 31, 2021 07:20:43 pm

Was a tongue and cheek statement by Klopp.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,229 posts | 2807 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43906: Jan 31, 2021 07:21:31 pm

Good experience for Sepp. Cheers

Quick Reply