Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D7 L8

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4204456 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,309 posts | 6374 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #45517: Aug 01, 2021 12:20:13 pm
      We do always seem to be told ā€œnext summerā€ for that promised big impact signing.

Virgil and Allison were the last I believe. Before that Mo. those were all transformational (and expensive) signings. And at least two of those were made possible from the fleecing of Barcelona.

Where have the transformational signings been since then? It seems to have all been complimentary type signings or backup. And not all of those have even worked out. We have a low net spend so even if the transfer budget each summer is 35-40m youā€™d think we still should have enough saved up from the last few windows that we could make a splash. I get it we have a really good team, but I want to see us have an unstoppable team. One where we have the front three actually worried about who is going to start because we have really good players breathing down their necks. I want to have good backup in defense (maybe we finally do) and I want to have a choice of midfielders that means we have options to hit teams in multiple ways. And I donā€™t want to have to say ā€œwe have a really good chance this seasonā€¦IF everyone stays healthy the whole yearā€. If thatā€™s too much to ask then so be it, I guess Iā€™m a spoiled supporter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4918 
      Reply #45518: Aug 01, 2021 12:27:17 pm
      We do always seem to be told ā€œnext summerā€ for that promised big impact signing.

Virgil and Allison were the last I believe. Before that Mo. those were all transformational (and expensive) signings. And at least two of those were made possible from the fleecing of Barcelona.

Where have the transformational signings been since then? It seems to have all been complimentary type signings or backup. And not all of those have even worked out. We have a low net spend so even if the transfer budget each summer is 35-40m youā€™d think we still should have enough saved up from the last few windows that we could make a splash. I get it we have a really good team, but I want to see us have an unstoppable team. One where we have the front three actually worried about who is going to start because we have really good players breathing down their necks. I want to have good backup in defense (maybe we finally do) and I want to have a choice of midfielders that means we have options to hit teams in multiple ways. And I donā€™t want to have to say ā€œwe have a really good chance this seasonā€¦IF everyone stays healthy the whole yearā€. If thatā€™s too much to ask then so be it, I guess Iā€™m a spoiled supporter.

Again have we actually been told "next summer" or is that guess work and media speculation?

Also how do you go about making a 'transformational' signing to a team that is already the best in Europe?

Surely all signings from when you build that team are to complement and build on what already had been formed?

A la Thiago and Jota.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,436 posts | 208 
      Reply #45519: Aug 01, 2021 12:35:48 pm
      I will say it again

If we do not replace a cm that has played over 50 games last season who was a very good player

And we go into a season relying on

Keita and ox to replace him games who can barely stay fit for a decent length of time then we will be in a for a rude awakening

Add in the fact hendo just had a horrific season with injuries which could repeat itself, we are one big cm injury eg to Fab, hendo or Thiago where our cm becomes a huge weak point

To me it looks like we are relying on two payers with horrific injury records to come good

I would happy with a loan signing at this point in cm as I can see a crisis building by January and us having to buy a cm

Am happy with no striker, perhaps we are waiting for shak to leave so we can use his funds for a cm is all I can think of

Get a quality player with a good engine cm and I really think we will win the title

If not we are gambling
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,309 posts | 6374 
      Reply #45520: Aug 01, 2021 01:10:23 pm
      Again have we actually been told "next summer" or is that guess work and media speculation?

Also how do you go about making a 'transformational' signing to a team that is already the best in Europe?

Surely all signings from when you build that team are to complement and build on what already had been formed?

A la Thiago and Jota.

Absolutely Iā€™ve seen some of the club fed journos say weā€™d spend big ā€œnext summerā€. Im not going to go find the links, too lazy.

A transformational signing to a team that is the best in Europe would be another world class player that provides options. People talking about how our front three were so knackered from playing so many games, well I wonder why they were so tired? Because our options behind them were such a drop off that Klopp didnā€™t want to sit any of them. You donā€™t want a big signing like that, thatā€™s your opinion, mine is that when you have your opponent down you keep your foot on their throat a donā€™t give them a chance to get up.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4918 
      Reply #45521: Aug 01, 2021 01:13:26 pm
      A transformational signing to a team that is the best in Europe would be another world class player that provides options.

A Thiago perhaps?

I find it difficult to complain about not making world class signings when we literally done that last season.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45522: Aug 01, 2021 01:31:08 pm
      A Thiago perhaps?

I find it difficult to complain about not making world class signings when we literally done that last season.

You forget mate, the name of the game is not how we spend, but how much we spend compared to other teams.

I mean, let's for one minute forget Edward's acumen in idnetifying players that fly under the radar, and getting them for decent prices, and focus only on teams spunking ridiculous money on players.
      Ā£50 million for White vs Ā£36 million for Konate.

Why oh why, have we allowed Arsenal to spend Ā£14 million more on a player many would deem not as good as the player we bought.
      I mean, it's just not good enough.

"Why are we buying a Chelsea reject" came the cries from the terminally stupid when we bought Salah for "only" Ā£37 million. "If he's that cheap he must be sh*t."

I mean, it's the same year after year: We have to buy player X, nothing else will do for me.

It's not even the sheer entitlement, it's the fact that even after seeing Edwards in action for years, they still think they know better.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #45523: Aug 01, 2021 01:48:07 pm
      I will say it again

If we do not replace a cm that has played over 50 games last season who was a very good player

And we go into a season relying on

Keita and ox to replace him games who can barely stay fit for a decent length of time then we will be in a for a rude awakening

Add in the fact hendo just had a horrific season with injuries which could repeat itself, we are one big cm injury eg to Fab, hendo or Thiago where our cm becomes a huge weak point

To me it looks like we are relying on two payers with horrific injury records to come good

I would happy with a loan signing at this point in cm as I can see a crisis building by January and us having to buy a cm

Am happy with no striker, perhaps we are waiting for shak to leave so we can use his funds for a cm is all I can think of

Get a quality player with a good engine cm and I really think we will win the title

If not we are gambling

We have been gambling for years with the gamble paying off once when we had an injury free season.
      What are the odds on that happening again?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,750 posts | 858 
      Reply #45524: Aug 01, 2021 01:50:32 pm
      Doku's dad said he and his son visited Anfield and spoke with Klopp who told them he would like Doku as a long term replacement for Mane

''Doku and his family visited Melwood in 2018, with Liverpool rolling out the red carpet as Steven Gerrard, Sadio Mane, Gini Wijnaldum and Simon Mignolet all greeted the prodigious forward.''

ā€œKlopp explained how he saw a potential successor to Sadio Mane in Jeremy,ā€ David Doku told Het Nieuwsblad back in 2020

As for Neuhaus I probably shouldn't have included him in my post as there's only speculative (brain fart on my part here sorry)
      Red4ever1980
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #45525: Aug 01, 2021 01:54:32 pm
      Liverpool owners haven't really invested any of their own money in players the transfer money we spent is money we make from the sale of other players the academy is used to grow half decent players give them a few games and sell them on to raise transfer funds, liverpools best players apart from trent are pushing 30 and it doesn't look like we have any world class players on the bench, so the way I look at it 2 years time klopp has enough our best players are gone past their best and we've sold all our academy players to buy one or two new sinings or bump up our top players wages to keep them happy
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,896 posts | 3394 
      Reply #45526: Aug 01, 2021 01:55:26 pm

A la Thiago and Jota.

The only people that say ā€œnext summer ā€œ are the media
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,750 posts | 858 
      Reply #45527: Aug 01, 2021 01:56:17 pm
      You forget mate, the name of the game is not how we spend, but how much we spend compared to other teams.

I mean, let's for one minute forget Edward's acumen in idnetifying players that fly under the radar, and getting them for decent prices, and focus only on teams spunking ridiculous money on players.
      Ā£50 million for White vs Ā£36 million for Konate.

Why oh why, have we allowed Arsenal to spend Ā£14 million more on a player many would deem not as good as the player we bought.
      I mean, it's just not good enough.

"Why are we buying a Chelsea reject" came the cries from the terminally stupid when we bought Salah for "only" Ā£37 million. "If he's that cheap he must be sh*t."

I mean, it's the same year after year: We have to buy player X, nothing else will do for me.

It's not even the sheer entitlement, it's the fact that even after seeing Edwards in action for years, they still think they know better.
      You pretty much summed it up. The people who whine too much about the transfers have multilayer way of being disappointed. First they are disappointed that we are not buying for this or that position. Then the club moves and they are suddenly disappointed at the transfer itself because  its not a ''big one'' despite us proving time and time again that you have to buy smart not loud. Then it all comes down to the net spend.

Lets just watch and see what happens. That's all we can do. No point in moaning about a transfer window that hasn't even shut yet.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4918 
      Reply #45528: Aug 01, 2021 01:56:50 pm
      We have been gambling for years with the gamble paying off once when we had an injury free season.
      What are the odds on that happening again?

Utter nonsense as per usual.

I honestly don't think you understand how difficult an almost 100 points season along with a European Cup win is to do.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45529: Aug 01, 2021 02:00:28 pm
      You pretty much summed it up. The people who whine too much about the transfers have multilayer way of being disappointed. First they are disappointed that we are not buying for this or that position. Then the club moves and they are suddenly disappointed at the transfer itself because  its not a ''big one'' despite us proving time and time again that you have to buy smart not loud. Then it all comes down to the net spend.

Lets just watch and see what happens. That's all we can do. No point in moaning about a transfer window that hasn't even shut yet.

My rule of thumb is to believe nothing until I see a player leaning on the wall at the training ground dressed in our kit.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #45530: Aug 01, 2021 02:25:38 pm
      Utter nonsense as per usual.

I honestly don't think you understand how difficult an almost 100 points season along with a European Cup win is to do.

How is it ā€œnonsenseā€.

THE SEASON WE WON THE PREMIER LEAGUE WE HAD AMAZING LUCK WITH INJURIES ie WE DID NOT SUSTAIN THE USUAL LOSS OF KEY PLAYERS THAT IMPACTED ON OUR ABILITY TO SUCCEED.

Last season we had a devastating injury to VVD and Henderson told the tale of his advancing years as a high profile footballer, totally predictable of course ie -

AN UNWILLINGNESS TO BUILD ON THE SUCCESS OF LAST SEASON fu**ed UP ANY CHANCE OF A REPEAT.

Where is the ā€œnonsenseā€ in that summary?
      You and your idiot FSG pals just dismiss fact as ā€œnonsenseā€ and create hypothetical bullshit as you go along.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,213 posts | 915 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #45531: Aug 01, 2021 02:25:57 pm
      My rule of thumb is to believe nothing until I see a player leaning on the wall at the training ground dressed in our kit.

The chance to see a new player would be a fine thing
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45532: Aug 01, 2021 02:27:38 pm

You mean like Konate?
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,807 posts | 1402 
      Reply #45533: Aug 01, 2021 02:28:28 pm

I'm referring to 19/20 and onwards.

We signed no one 19/20 to pay for the window before.

Adrian was free - whilst he started off excellent he's a complete liability that should have never got an extension.

Van Den Berg was Ā£3m - Too young to make an impact or pass a judgement on.

Minamino was Ā£7.5 - Hasn't worked out at all. Looked like a steal but now looks like money wasted.

Davies was Ā£3m - no words needed here.

Ok add an additional Ā£13m to the spending pot since 2019.

Not that we didnā€™t already know, but this goes to show the only thing that matters to you and your lot is how much we pay.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,896 posts | 3394 
      Reply #45534: Aug 01, 2021 02:30:40 pm

Kounte ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #45535: Aug 01, 2021 02:34:21 pm

Letā€™s wait and see if FSG break the habit of their 11 year tenure!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,896 posts | 3394 
      Reply #45536: Aug 01, 2021 02:48:09 pm
      Letā€™s wait and see if FSG break the habit of their 11 year tenure!

Itā€™s not a ā€œhabitā€ itā€™s a model that the club is run under. Itā€™s the model they stated they would use and they have stuck to that word

That model has allowed Ā£1.1bn to be spent on players and allowed the club to recruit multiple hugely talented players and has brought success back to the club that the fans were desperate for for the last 30 years
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4918 
      Reply #45537: Aug 01, 2021 03:05:24 pm
      How is it ā€œnonsenseā€.

THE SEASON WE WON THE PREMIER LEAGUE WE HAD AMAZING LUCK WITH INJURIES ie WE DID NOT SUSTAIN THE USUAL LOSS OF KEY PLAYERS THAT IMPACTED ON OUR ABILITY TO SUCCEED.

Last season we had a devastating injury to VVD and Henderson told the tale of his advancing years as a high profile footballer, totally predictable of course ie -

AN UNWILLINGNESS TO BUILD ON THE SUCCESS OF LAST SEASON fu**ed UP ANY CHANCE OF A REPEAT.

Where is the ā€œnonsenseā€ in that summary?
      You and your idiot FSG pals just dismiss fact as ā€œnonsenseā€ and create hypothetical bullshit as you go along.

We did build you absolute clown.

For the umpteenth time we signed a forward capable of getting into our front three, one of the world's best CM and a back up LB.

That my friend is the facts as you are so fond of.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #45538: Aug 01, 2021 03:22:29 pm
      We did build you absolute clown.

For the umpteenth time we signed a forward capable of getting into our front three, one of the world's best CM and a back up LB.

That my friend is the facts as you are so fond of.

Where are the results of this ā€œbuildingā€?
      VVD is not replaced.
      Hendersonā€™s injury record results in constant reshuffling, the outcome is we lose our champions title.

Your answer is once again personal comment to disguise a lack of credible comment.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #45539: Aug 01, 2021 03:26:06 pm
      Not really - happy to see Jones be given a good go at the role

If Hendo and Keita are the other options as per your earlier post then it's nailed on he will have to be  Hendo will miss 10 or 12 matches with a muscle injury as per usual these days and Naby lad what could possibly go wrong?

Quick Reply