Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4198606 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #45563: Aug 02, 2021 12:42:12 pm
      How about James Rodriguez from Everton? Rafa has said he doesn’t feature in his plans and can go, maybe with Rafa at the helm we could get friends rates?  :f_tongueincheek:

Not a bad option though all jokes aside from the bench and could start in those few weeks of the African Cup, but doubt we would do business with each other.

;D he's lazy as F**k Jürgen wouldn't have him here in a million years.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #45564: Aug 02, 2021 12:50:04 pm
      Must admit i'm a little concerned at our lack of transfer activity (particularly when compared to some of our rivals) and some of the whispering coming from journos who are well connected to the club that suggest there isn't much of a budget available for new players.

City walked it last season and have just bid for Grealish and i suspect Kane will be in sky blue by the end of August.

The mancs have added Sancho (an excellent player) and Varanne (who will be an upgrade on Lindelof and a good complimentary player to Maguire - Admittedly they haven't addressed their biggerst need which is in midfield).

Chelsea haven't done anything yet but they bought a bunch of players in last summer and were excellent once Tuchel came in.

It feels like our season is riding on the centre-halves coming back and staying fit and more prtinently on Mane and Firmino bouncing back to 2019-20 form (something i am much less confident about myself). And in the midfield we have just lost a very important player who was very rarely injured. The incumbents are all rather injury prone (Keita, Ox) or getting on a bit (Hendo, Milner) and similarly missing chunks of time through injury.

I like the Konate signing, it was needed for sure and there is still time to replace Gini but it does feel like everybody else is getting stronger and there is a danger that we could get left behind a little bit.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,861 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #45565: Aug 02, 2021 12:51:45 pm
      Doesn’t really matter, no way in hell we could afford him.

I agree, not many can pay his wages and transfer. However, I've always thought it's great when a top player states he'd like to play for our respective clubs.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45566: Aug 02, 2021 01:03:16 pm
      Must admit i'm a little concerned at our lack of transfer activity (particularly when compared to some of our rivals) and some of the whispering coming from journos who are well connected to the club that suggest there isn't much of a budget available for new players.

City walked it last season and have just bid for Grealish and i suspect Kane will be in sky blue by the end of August.

The mancs have added Sancho (an excellent player) and Varanne (who will be an upgrade on Lindelof and a good complimentary player to Maguire - Admittedly they haven't addressed their biggerst need which is in midfield).

Chelsea haven't done anything yet but they bought a bunch of players in last summer and were excellent once Tuchel came in.

It feels like our season is riding on the centre-halves coming back and staying fit and more prtinently on Mane and Firmino bouncing back to 2019-20 form (something i am much less confident about myself). And in the midfield we have just lost a very important player who was very rarely injured. The incumbents are all rather injury prone (Keita, Ox) or getting on a bit (Hendo, Milner) and similarly missing chunks of time through injury.

I like the Konate signing, it was needed for sure and there is still time to replace Gini but it does feel like everybody else is getting stronger and there is a danger that we could get left behind a little bit.

The days when Journos were briefed from inside the club are long gone, and rightly so.
      F***ing leeches, the lot of them.

FSG have a couple of journos they occasionally throw a scrap to.
      These journos then spend the rest of their time making up sh*te because they have nothing of substance to report, then when they get thrown a scrap, they shout it from the rooftops, and proclaim they are ITK.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #45567: Aug 02, 2021 02:04:07 pm
      Probably already mentioned but I was told by the ol man that under official ruling we are only allowed up to 17 foreign players in our full squad. I looked on the current squad section on the website tab and counted about 16/17..
      So, we need to offload before we can bring any European or South American purchases in..

Included in that 17 are players like Karius, Origi, Shaqiri and a few others who I’ve never heard of, if I’m being honest.

I could be wrong? Maybe someone will enlighten me more?
      ruthcity

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #45568: Aug 02, 2021 02:08:36 pm
      And in the midfield we have just lost a very important player who was very rarely injured.

I like the Konate signing, it was needed for sure and there is still time to replace Gini

I used to get at him for not doing much. I thought he was useless. He suddenly became world class in me eyes when rumours indicated he was on his way to Barca. Now I feel we’ve lost something big. But he did sh*te when he was on the team. He’s world class only because he’s on his way out… otherwise he’d still be useless… who’s the loser here? I do not know… we need cover.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #45569: Aug 02, 2021 02:35:10 pm
      Probably already mentioned but I was told by the ol man that under official ruling we are only allowed up to 17 foreign players in our full squad. I looked on the current squad section on the website tab and counted about 16/17..
      So, we need to offload before we can bring any European or South American purchases in..

Included in that 17 are players like Karius, Origi, Shaqiri and a few others who I’ve never heard of, if I’m being honest.

I could be wrong? Maybe someone will enlighten me more?

Think some of those younger players count as "home grown" rather than foreign.
      I haven't looked for a while, but I'm sure someone here will know.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,725 posts | 847 
      Reply #45570: Aug 02, 2021 02:48:23 pm
      What is becoming very apparent is that we are having trouble selling the guys we want to sell. Origi and Shaq are still lingering and even those we sold like Grujic have gone at discount price in comparison to what we would've got before the pandemic.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #45571: Aug 02, 2021 02:51:33 pm
      Thanks Swab…. Just found this online… and I quote ;

This rule was made in the hope of nurturing more England or at least UK-born players in the premier league, which was part of the League’s Elite Player Performance Plan, a youth development England-based scheme.

The home-grown player rule states that each of the 20 English premier league teams of every season must list a 25-man squad comprising only senior players aged 21 and above.

Of these 21 players, at least 8 must be home-grown, which meant a team could only have a maximum of 17 foreign players in the team at a time.

Following the calculations of this rule, the maximum number of players that can play in the EPL would be 17 players X 20 clubs which would be 340 foreign players under normal circumstances.

This is probably the biggest loophole of the rule.

A foreigner could be considered as an English Home-grown player if he spent three years in an England-based club academy before turning 21.

This means that a Ghanian who joins Chelsea youth academy at the age of 18 and spends three years with the team before turning 21 will be considered home-grown.

Paul Pogba, Cesc Fabregas, and Victor Moses were all beneficiaries of this slack as they were considered as English Home-grown players despite being foreigners.

Greg Dyke, the former president of the FA, tried to counter this loophole by asserting that players would be considered home-grown if they spent at least three years in an English academy before turning 18.

This meant a player must, at most, start playing football at the age of fifteen to be considered Home-grown.

If implemented, this law would see lesser foreign players in England academy as football regulations do not allow the movement of youth players across borders below sixteen.

This rule has not been implemented yet which means that it is currently possible to have more than 340 foreign players in the EPL if foreign nationals were listed among the 8 home-grown players list.

Interesting…

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #45572: Aug 02, 2021 02:56:31 pm
      The days when Journos were briefed from inside the club are long gone, and rightly so.
      F***ing leeches, the lot of them.

FSG have a couple of journos they occasionally throw a scrap to.
      These journos then spend the rest of their time making up sh*te because they have nothing of substance to report, then when they get thrown a scrap, they shout it from the rooftops, and proclaim they are ITK.

That's not necessarily true at all. Reddy, Pearce, Joyce and Jones all have inside contacts at the club and typically when the club wants something out, it comes through them. That's why they don't break transfer stories anymore, all they write are opinion pieces about transfer strategy and once the season starts, analysis of tactics, etc....because they are getting info from the club. It helps the club to create the narrative they want and to check the pulse of the supporters. You'll notice that if (big if) there is actual valid transfer speculation these days it usually comes from other journos (usually from the other players hometown club reporters or national reporters) and then the aforementioned mouthpieces will basically confirm it once the guy is in the building.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #45573: Aug 02, 2021 02:57:42 pm
      What is becoming very apparent is that we are having trouble selling the guys we want to sell. Origi and Shaq are still lingering and even those we sold like Grujic have gone at discount price in comparison to what we would've got before the pandemic.

Origi seemingly doesn't want to go anywhere. He appears to be happy picking up a check and not doing anything other than the occasional appearance. Hard to sell a player that seemingly has no ambition.

I thought Shaq would have been picked up by now but it wouldn't surprise me if we are holding out for far too much money.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,479 posts | 231 
      Reply #45574: Aug 02, 2021 05:40:51 pm
      Harry Kane is on strike. Has Babel lent his helicopter to him?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8519 
      Reply #45575: Aug 02, 2021 05:43:52 pm
      Twitter is just beautiful. This place is a self-sustaining fire pit of idiocy. Apart from all the usual 12 yo crap out there I noticed a new trend that has to do more with the journos but that is taking twitter by storm nonetheless since they will take anything for a source.

Any nobody journalist (especially from other countries like Italy, Spain or Germany) who wants to write a piece that includes ''news'' about Liverpool will invent the most stupid rumour ever. Something that doesn't even make basic sense in terms of the actual positions we need to reinforce or the style of that player compared to ours. After he wrote that, all he has to do is add a sentence along the line of ''but Liverpool finds the *insert whatever price tag you want here* off-putting''. The piece comes out, the twitter geniuses pounce on it and instantly go for a ride on the twitter fsg-out merry-go-round.

Concretely this can look like that (imaginary example but I'm sure that if you look you'll find something even more ridiculous):

Step-1: ''Liverpool are interested in Stefan de Vrij and have contacted Inter. However, the club finds the 50M price-tag the Italian club has set to be off-putting''

Step-2:A bunch of people on twitter pounce on the news and instantly get mad that we are not going to complete the signing of De Vrij because ''FSG does not want to pay 50M''. Nobody asks himself why are we even linked with another CB, why we would we want De Vrij, do we even have a need for another CB, etc. But one thing nobody forgets to do tho is being mad and writing a whole lot of fsg-out nonsense.

Was banned from Twitter permenantly for taking the piss out of the Orange Lodge.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #45576: Aug 02, 2021 05:44:07 pm
      This thread needs a new name.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3359 
      Reply #45577: Aug 02, 2021 06:36:28 pm
      Think some of those younger players count as "home grown" rather than foreign.
      I haven't looked for a while, but I'm sure someone here will know.

I think right now we are full in regards non home grown , Ginis spot was filled by Konate - hence why I think they are waiting for Shaqiri and Origi to go before bring someone in
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #45578: Aug 02, 2021 09:34:53 pm
      I think right now we are full in regards non home grown , Ginis spot was filled by Konate - hence why I think they are waiting for Shaqiri and Origi to go before bring someone in

Imagine the fume when fans realize a foreign signing could not be made as we kept Adrian  :lmao: :lmao:
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #45579: Aug 02, 2021 09:53:18 pm
      Imagine the fume when fans realize a foreign signing could not be made as we kept Adrian  :lmao: :lmao:

Ha. For that matter since Karius is still with the team he’s also taking a spot.
      rossyred

• 9,229 posts | 1650 
      Reply #45580: Aug 02, 2021 10:08:36 pm
      Ha. For that matter since Karius is still with the team he’s also taking a spot.

Slightly different we never renewed his contract but yes joke really they are still here . Origi and Shaq seem like the ones we need to shift
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,898 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #45581: Aug 02, 2021 10:29:09 pm
      How about James Rodriguez from Everton? Rafa has said he doesn’t feature in his plans and can go, maybe with Rafa at the helm we could get friends rates?  :f_tongueincheek:

Not a bad option though all jokes aside from the bench and could start in those few weeks of the African Cup, but doubt we would do business with each other.

We got enough cleaners at the club already mate !
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #45582: Aug 03, 2021 12:01:35 am
      Johnathan David links........ That sounds like a Michael Edwards move. Underrated, versatile, and on no ones radar.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,193 posts | 1205 
      Reply #45583: Aug 03, 2021 12:29:48 am
      I wonder how many buyers there are out there for some of our fringe players in the current market.

No doubt we could get £7m or so for Shaq but will hold out for double that. This could be harder to achieve given he'll be on a decent wage and if he went somewhere like Lazio would likely be one of their top earners. Can they justify that given his age and injury problems?

There has been very little linking Origi with a move away, probably because his stock is close to as low it's been in recent times. Valencia for £30m? Don't think so! I reckon we could get £15m or so plus a sell on fee. In a World Cup year is there no part of him that wants regular first team football? Sleep walking into no man's land at present.

Nat will have his fair share of admirers I think - a traditional English CB with a strong mentality. Brighton or Burnley eat your heart out. £6-7m I think. 
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #45584: Aug 03, 2021 01:08:52 am
      Johnathan David links........ That sounds like a Michael Edwards move. Underrated, versatile, and on no ones radar.

I would love to see a fellow Canadian play for Liverpool. He had a rough start last season at Lille but found some form the second half of the season to help Lille to the title.

I think as a player he could benefit from another season in France before making the step up to a new club but he would be the type of player we need and often look at so might be good to jump ahead of the pack.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #45585: Aug 03, 2021 10:11:44 am

If we sign Rodriguez it will be Guido not James.
      I thought he was good for the bluenoses what little I saw of them

Quick Reply