Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4209092 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #28290: Feb 27, 2017 09:07:09 am
      As soon as I see us linked with anyone, I know they are not coming to Liverpool.

Won't believe a f**king word of it till I see them holding up a scarf outside Melwood.

Very true mate I think the same as well!

We all know if its comes to a bidding war for our top target we will be beaten by someone else paying a few million more and we will then go for our so called second target at less than half the price with potential.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28291: Feb 27, 2017 09:20:13 am
      Unfortunately Utd, City, Chelsea will all buy players too, and will but higher calibre players than we will.

Sneaky buggers aren't they? If only they'd stop buying players and give us three or four seasons to "build a dynasty", give our youngsters "time to develop" we'd overtake the lot of the b******s.

As it is, Chelsea had a bad year last time so bought David Luis to play in the centre of their three, he's been "sensational" (mind you he is a multi league winner, not THAT surprising, AND he'll be on big wages and cost 35 million quid). They needed a left back and bought Marcus Alonso for 25 million, he hasn't been too bad either. Then they needed a holding mid and bought Kante (I've remembered his name now) and he's been "sensational" too (35 million quid tho, big wages etc).

Meanwhile the Mancs have brought in Ibrhahimovic on huge wages as they needed a striker, Pogba for 89 million as they needed a midfielder, Baiey for 32 mill as they needed a centre half, and Mikkiwhatsisface for 26 mill as they needed an attacking mid. They're getting it now after a slow start and won a trophy yesterday. I would use the "Gini is doing better than Pogba" sparingly BTW, there is a gulf between the two players which will become glaringly obvious over time.

Now if only we could bring a rule in that the others aren't allowed to buy. Might bring the asking prices down too, you never know.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #28292: Feb 27, 2017 09:34:34 am
      I still believe money doesn't guarantee success; Leicester winning the league is a good indicator of that. I am glad the won it just for that reason alone. Yes Chelsea imploded and other teams just did not perform for a number of reasons, but Leicester City won the league by about 10 points (was it?) and that surely cannot be down to just luck.

That said, I am slowly changing my mind that one player cannot make a team. Ronaldo in his last couple of seasons for Utd, Suarez, Messi (obvious), even Kante at Leicester City. Mane at Liverpool? We need to find that type of player and for that to happen our scouting system has to be on the ball.

End of the day, you can put a £10m player up against an £89m player and the difference on the pitch isn't £79m. Prices are inflated. My point is that we don't need to spend loads of money, we just need to spend what we have on the right player.

Pretty obvious stuff I know, and I typed this probably just as much to ease my concerns than to get a point across. It's true though, I don't think we need to spend spend spend. All that does is make it easier to bring those types of players in. But there are gems out there waiting to be discovered. We just need to unearth them.

Monaco, Dortmund, Southampton and Athletico Madrid have a habit of doing this.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28293: Feb 27, 2017 09:40:42 am
      I still believe money doesn't guarantee success; Leicester winning the league is a good indicator of that. I am glad the won it just for that reason alone. Yes Chelsea imploded and other teams just did not perform for a number of reasons, but Leicester City won the league by about 10 points (was it?) and that surely cannot be down to just luck.

That said, I am slowly changing my mind that one player cannot make a team. Ronaldo in his last couple of seasons for Utd, Suarez, Messi (obvious), even Kante at Leicester City. Mane at Liverpool? We need to find that type of player and for that to happen our scouting system has to be on the ball.

End of the day, you can put a £10m player up against an £89m player and the difference on the pitch isn't £79m. Prices are inflated. My point is that we don't need to spend loads of money, we just need to spend what we have on the right player.

Pretty obvious stuff I know, and I typed this probably just as much to ease my concerns than to get a point across. It's true though, I don't think we need to spend spend spend. All that does is make it easier to bring those types of players in. But there are gems out there waiting to be discovered. We just need to unearth them.

Monaco, Dortmund, Southampton and Athletico Madrid have a habit of doing this.

Money doesn't guarantee SUSTAINED success, but not spending enough of it guarantees you won't have it.

Leicester are a PERFECT example of that. How are they going THIS year?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #28294: Feb 27, 2017 09:50:49 am
      Money doesn't guarantee SUSTAINED success, but not spending enough of it guarantees you won't have it.

Leicester are a PERFECT example of that. How are they going THIS year?

I hear what you are saying but I'm not so sure it is as cut and dry as that.

Ok I admit this is a hypothetical 'if' question, but what if Leicester managed to hang on to Kante and also found Gabbiadini (for example; who I understand might blow up and stop scoring)? They wouldn't have broken the bank and you'd think that would have strengthened them (not saying they'd have defended their title though). Dortmund did not spend the type of money the top 5 clubs can spend yet they great.

For me it's all about finding the right player season in season out, a player that doesn't cost tens of millions. Nice if you have it, but I'm not sure it's essential either short or long term. I can be convinced either way though.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28295: Feb 27, 2017 10:01:43 am
      Just because ONE team wins ONE trophy ONCE it doesn't mean we ought to follow it as a blueprint though mate. Nottingham Forest won the European Cup without spending loads in the 80's, but it doesn't mean it's THE model.

Nor does anyone believe or say that we have to be the highest spenders on wages and transfer fees in the league in order to win. What you DO have to do though is be prepared to compete for top players when you fancy them, not have silly little rules about salary caps, resale values, age limits and all that sh!t.

People keep saying "but Jürgen has made it clear he has the final say on transfers" and I say this without equivocation, if he genuinely does (and I don't think he totally does) then he is wrong IMHO to think you can consistently win trophies in England without spending significant money. So far he hasn't spent big money on either transfer fees or wages, and so far we haven't won any trophies. There is a direct link between those two facts IMHO. It's no coincidence at all IMHO that he came significantly closer to winning trophies in his first season than he has this season, after three windows of negative NET spend.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #28296: Feb 27, 2017 10:07:18 am
      Just because ONE team wins ONE trophy ONCE it doesn't mean we ought to follow it as a blueprint though mate. Nottingham Forest won the European Cup without spending loads in the 80's, but it doesn't mean it's THE model.

Nor does anyone believe or say that we have to be the highest spenders on wages and transfer fees in the league in order to win. What you DO have to do though is be prepared to compete for top players when you fancy them, not have silly little rules about salary caps, resale values, age limits and all that sh!t.

People keep saying "but Jürgen has made it clear he has the final say on transfers" and I say this without equivocation, if he genuinely does (and I don't think he totally does) then he is wrong IMHO to think you can consistently win trophies in England without spending significant money. So far he hasn't spent big money on either transfer fees or wages, and so far we haven't won any trophies. There is a direct link between those two facts IMHO. It's no coincidence at all IMHO that he came significantly closer to winning trophies in his first season than he has this season, after three windows of negative NET spend.

What's all this talk of wining trophies? Since when is that important?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #28297: Feb 27, 2017 10:14:25 am
      We simply won't buy big name players because of the risk of them not being a success having cost a lot and being on big wages. The reality is that said player could be the difference between winning the league and being also rans,  If your going to be ambitious you have take the odd risk.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28298: Feb 27, 2017 10:18:19 am
      We simply won't buy big name players because of the risk of them not being a success having cost a lot and being on big wages. The reality is that said player could be the difference between winning the league and being also rans,  If your going to be ambitious you have take the odd risk.

Which seems ironic considering we've spent a LOT of money on crap players in previous years.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #28299: Feb 27, 2017 10:25:01 am
      I tell my son now and again, I'm not so much concerned with the amount of money we spend, just how we spend it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #28300: Feb 27, 2017 11:04:39 am
      Got to agree with Pearce's article in the Echo that although we have done well but we really need a 20 goal a season striker as a priority for the summer.
      Just look at Kane and Ibra who is single handily carrying a mediocre team.

If Sturbridge time is up and it's looking increasingly likely then FSG need to back Klopp big time with a serious investement up front.
      And no that doesn't mean Gabbiadini, just wish we would cancel that direct debit with Saints  >:(
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28301: Feb 27, 2017 11:26:42 am
      I was thinking about who we could have done with THIS season, and I've come up with four names.

Mahmoud Dahoud-I've got no idea how good he is as I've never seen him play. My guess is though that we would have got him for 25-30 million pounds.

Piotr Zeilinski-I've got no idea how good he is as I've never seen him play. My guess is though that we could have got him for 12-15 million pounds.

Alex Teixera-I've no idea how good he is as I've never seen him play. My guess is we could have signed him for 34 million pounds.

Julian Brandt-I've no idea how good he is as I've never seen him play. My guess is though we could have got him for 15-20 million pounds.

Now obviously in all cases we would have to have offered enough in wages to make the player actually want to play for Liverpool. If we had, and we'd had to have paid "top dollar" or a "premium" for their services, it could have cost us as much as 99 million pounds plus wages. When though you consider that over the last three transfer windows we've actually made a PROFIT, it doesn't seem that outlandish (well it doesn't to me anyway). We could have solved not only our chronic lack of squad depth (which surely by now EVERYONE has come around to thinking is an issue) and no doubt a bit of quality too.

I'm assuming these blokes are quite good BTW, as I say I can't offer any insight into any of them. At least three of them to the best of my knowledge have by all accounts now increased in value, so we might have even made a few quid for the future too.

If we'd have had those four players, you never know we might have been able to sustain a challenge beyond Christmas. We may have even won the league FFS, but no point in buying players "just for the sake of it" is there?

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #28302: Feb 27, 2017 11:55:47 am
      Got to agree with Pearce's article in the Echo that although we have done well but we really need a 20 goal a season striker as a priority for the summer.
      Just look at Kane and Ibra who is single handily carrying a mediocre team.

If Sturbridge time is up and it's looking increasingly likely then FSG need to back Klopp big time with a serious investement up front.
      And no that doesn't mean Gabbiadini, just wish we would cancel that direct debit with Saints  >:(

The money is there.
      The manager is counting it, juggling it, opening and closing the strongbox to make sure that it is in fact still there, we can all sleep well.

JWH&Co insist the money is there with the previous managers and Klopp no doubt going through the above process thinking 'surely this money could be used to better effect for the good of LFC.

Extremely puzzling.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #28303: Feb 27, 2017 04:10:00 pm
      Totally agree...Suarez was the perfect example....But It becomes harder to find that player when we are failing to bring in our 1st (and in some cases, 2nd) choices
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28304: Mar 01, 2017 09:17:47 am
      Apparently we have made an approach for Rodrygo, a promising youngster from the U17 Santos team. Santos are known for producing good young talent, such as Neymar and Gabigol. Now the club is trying to convince him to stay by providing him with a career plan so that he can gain professional experience in Brazil before moving to Europe. Only found this in Portuguese: http://globoesporte.globo.com/sp/santos-e-regiao/futebol/times/santos/noticia/2017/03/proposta-do-liverpool-obriga-santos-correr-para-tentar-renovar-com-joia.html

Anyway, if it does happen, this would be one for the future.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28305: Mar 01, 2017 10:56:11 am
      Apparently we have made an approach for Rodrygo, a promising youngster from the U17 Santos team. Santos are known for producing good young talent, such as Neymar and Gabigol. Now the club is trying to convince him to stay by providing him with a career plan so that he can gain professional experience in Brazil before moving to Europe. Only found this in Portuguese: http://globoesporte.globo.com/sp/santos-e-regiao/futebol/times/santos/noticia/2017/03/proposta-do-liverpool-obriga-santos-correr-para-tentar-renovar-com-joia.html

Minimal transfer fee? Check.

Low wages? Check.

Potential sell on value if he does become any good? Check.

Exotic sounding enough to release a bolloxy press release in the hope of getting fans excited? Check.

Seemingly nobody else yet interested in him? Check

Y'know what? I think this one might just happen. COME THE F*** ON!!!!!!!! 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #28306: Mar 01, 2017 11:23:21 am
      Anyone know anything about the Leeds left back, Charlie Taylor?

Rumors he's looking for a move at the end of the season and fancies Liverpool.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #28307: Mar 01, 2017 11:42:08 am

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #28308: Mar 01, 2017 11:46:06 am

Remind me, how many of these ones for the future have actually made it? If FSG don't invest heavily in a squad rebuild after the shower of sh*t that's been 2017 they can pack their bags and go. I've had my fill of them, their business model and 'ones for the future'.
      rossyred

• 9,291 posts | 1664 
      Reply #28309: Mar 01, 2017 12:50:25 pm
      Anyone know anything about the Leeds left back, Charlie Taylor?

Rumors he's looking for a move at the end of the season and fancies Liverpool.

Steady when Ive seen him which isnt much to be fair. Sessegnon at Fulham maybe more likely
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #28310: Mar 01, 2017 03:25:21 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #28312: Mar 01, 2017 03:44:29 pm

Quick Reply