Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179476 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #28589: Mar 19, 2017 03:31:25 pm
      I firmly believe Origi can be the better player :) He just needs games, games and games!
      The "just needs games, games and games!" is, of course, the actual point you're making PM and that is indeed an interesting topic for debate.

Why is it, in your opinion, that Jürgen (whom the "experts" reckon rates the kid highly) doesn't give him more games?

He does seem to be a bit old to be 'protecting' from the glare of publicity' to be honest so you have got to wonder: why the hold up on unleashing the kid?

I honestly hope that you're right and that in two years time Divock is even better that Lukaku... if Jürgen gives a player "he rates highly" decent game time, obviously. 😉
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017 04:35:29 pm by bad boy bubby »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #28590: Mar 19, 2017 03:55:49 pm
      The "just needs games, games and games!" is, of course, the actual point you're making PM and that is indeed an interesting topic for debate.

Why is it, in your opinion, that Jürgen (whom the "experts" reckon rate the kid highly) doesn't give him more games?

He does seem to be a bit old to be 'protecting' from the glare of publicity' to be honest so you have got to wonder: why the hold up on unleashing the kid?

I honestly hope that you're right and that in two years time Divock is even better that Lukaku... if Jürgen gives a player "he rates highly" decent game time, obviously. 😉

There's obviously 2 better strikers ahead of him, but how many better strikers than Lukaku at the lesser clubs he has been at? I just think Lukaku made the better choices for his development and Origi hasn't :(

And you have to remember, I am not saying he will be better in 2 years time, but has the potential to reach Lukaku level or higher.

He has been in our setup for a while and still only 21, so taking that into account and with the potential he has, I would love to see Klopp take the gamble on him and see how it pans out :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28591: Mar 19, 2017 04:19:16 pm
      Amazingly, those who profess to be "real fans" when talking about the owners, seem to shove that onto the back burner when talking about players.
      After all, those self professed "real fans" put great store in their faith in the manager, and apparently, it is only he who is stopping the club from being relegated thanks to those b***ard owners.

The problem is, any true "real fan" knows full well that players take time to develop, they develop at different rates, and that Klopp has a wonderful record in bringing players on.

But I'll leave it to the "experts" who obviously have an allergy to search engines, since they would like others to think that Klopp, actually doesn't really rate Origi at all, because he doesn't start him every game?  :confused-smiley-013: because obviously, a manager must start a young player as often as possible, or otherwise he "clearly" doesn't rate him.  :f_whistle:

A few words from Klopp, and you don't need to be any kind of "expert"; in fact the only thing you need is a search engine and the ability to read.
      But then I suppose when you are chasing an agenda, these quotes from the manager get ignored?  :confused-smiley-013:

New Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has revealed he tried to sign Divock Origi for Borussia Dortmund and the clubs were locked in a "battle" for the Belgian striker in 2014.

Origi signed for the Reds in a £10m deal from Lille last summer before being immediately loaned back to the club, and was handed his full Premier League debut by Klopp in the 0-0 draw at Tottenham.

Klopp admits he is a huge fan of the 20-year-old and believes they "will have a lot of fun with this player."
      "I wanted to take him to Dortmund when Liverpool bought him, but we could not," he said after his first game in charge at White Hart Lane.

"He's a very good player; young, fast and a good technician. At the moment, he is not so full of experience in the game because he hasn't played very often.

"But I like him and I think we will have a lot of fun with this player.
      We were in the battle to sign him."
      http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10032150/Jürgen-klopp-tried-to-bring-divock-origi-to-borussia-dortmund

Jürgen Klopp has spoken of his faith in the qualities of Divock Origi after the striker came off the bench to create a goal for Georginio Wijnaldum during the 3-1 win over Arsenal.

With Roberto Firmino a doubt for Sunday’s Anfield clash with Burnley after picking up a knock last weekend, the manager could turn to the young Belgian and hand him a starting berth.

Klopp admitted he has held talks with the striker in a bid to help the Belgium international get back to his best form.

Reflecting on his outing from the bench against the Gunners last weekend, Klopp said: “Divock was good.

“It was a nice sign. We’ve had a lot of talks in the last few weeks about what he needs to do. It was a very important sign for him and for us.”
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/256392-Jürgen-klopp-reveals-positive-divock-origi-talks

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #28592: Mar 19, 2017 04:50:18 pm
      There's obviously 2 better strikers ahead of him, but how many better strikers than Lukaku at the lesser clubs he has been at? I just think Lukaku made the better choices for his development and Origi hasn't
      I get you or at least I thought I did.

Correct me if I'm wrong here - you reckon that if Jürgen gives the lad games he could potentially be as good as, if not better than, Lukaku; yes?

So I asked you - [if one believes the folk who tell us that Jürgen rates him]: why, in your opinion, Divock is NOT given the game time (by a boss who, supposedly, rates him highly) which would see him on a par with one of the best strikers in the league?

Like others initially said in support (that may change as they wriggle btw) PM - you may well be right about his potential and it is just that his development is being hindered by the boss. 😎

Personally I don't agree or buy that, the way others do, mate but...

Interesting topic nonetheless PM... and very telling because it's already got the "experts" having their cake and eating it; although that is only par for the course to be fair. 😆 😆  :drinking:

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017 05:08:27 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28593: Mar 19, 2017 05:33:11 pm
      In the era of "post truth" and "fake news" those who are chasing an agenda ignore direct quotes from Klopp.   :lmao:

Funny that.
      In fact it's F***ing hilarious watching self proclaimed "real fans" perform mental gymnastics to try and deny the managers own words, printed right there in glorious black and white for all to see.

Not much of a surprise though, when someone "thinks"?  :confused-smiley-013: they are clever, but fails every time when they troll the boards trying to get a rise  :action-smiley-057: :action-smiley-025:
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #28594: Mar 19, 2017 05:34:50 pm
      I get you or at least I thought I did.

Correct me if I'm wrong here - you reckon that if Jürgen gives the lad games he could potentially be as good as, if not better than, Lukaku; yes?

So I asked you - [if one believes the folk who tell us that Jürgen rates him]: why, in your opinion, Divock is NOT given the game time (by a boss who, supposedly, rates him highly) which would see him on a par with one of the best strikers in the league?

Like others initially said in support (that may change as they wriggle btw) PM - you may well be right about his potential and it is just that his development is being hindered by the boss. 😎

Personally I don't agree or buy that, the way others do, mate but...

Interesting topic nonetheless PM... and very telling because it's already got the "experts" having their cake and eating it; although that is only par for the course to be fair. 😆 😆  :drinking:

I do believe Origi has more potential and could still reach a higher level than Lukaku.

I also believe Klopp rates him, but maybe not as much as me :p However, he has 2 strikers that are more established, so Klopp (like any top manager) are most likely to go for the "safe" option.

I think Origi's development like majority of kids with potential at big clubs are hindered. It's not like how it was back in the days where if you played well, you keep your place, right? There is too much pressure at the big clubs to perform and get instant results, hence to reason for playing it safe with established players, but I don't blame the manager for that.
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017 07:27:56 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28595: Mar 19, 2017 07:24:34 pm
      Amazingly, those who profess to be "real fans" when talking about the owners, seem to shove that onto the back burner when talking about players.
      After all, those self professed "real fans" put great store in their faith in the manager, and apparently, it is only he who is stopping the club from being relegated thanks to those b***ard owners.

The problem is, any true "real fan" knows full well that players take time to develop, they develop at different rates, and that Klopp has a wonderful record in bringing players on.

But I'll leave it to the "experts" who obviously have an allergy to search engines, since they would like others to think that Klopp, actually doesn't really rate Origi at all, because he doesn't start him every game?  :confused-smiley-013: because obviously, a manager must start a young player as often as possible, or otherwise he "clearly" doesn't rate him.  :f_whistle:

A few words from Klopp, and you don't need to be any kind of "expert"; in fact the only thing you need is a search engine and the ability to read.
      But then I suppose when you are chasing an agenda, these quotes from the manager get ignored?  :confused-smiley-013:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10032150/Jürgen-klopp-tried-to-bring-divock-origi-to-borussia-dortmund
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/256392-Jürgen-klopp-reveals-positive-divock-origi-talks

Klopp also praised Benteke at one point, and said very similar stuff about trying to get him to Dortmund but failing to do so...

He still got rid as soon as he could, though.

Hell, at one point Dalglish even praised Poulsen if I recall correctly. It's hardly something novel - a manager publicly praising one of his players. It's not like they're going to say "well in fact I think he's a bit sh*t and we're gonna try to make some money when we can".

I'm not saying this is the necessarily case here, but suggesting praise from the manager is some sort of "proof" of whatever opinion the boss has of him, well, I don't buy into that.

Not even if Origi played every single game I'd say his future in the club was guaranteed. Moreno was also an automatic starter last season, only to become backup for a right-footed winger at left back.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28596: Mar 19, 2017 07:51:40 pm
      Klopp also praised Benteke at one point, and said very similar stuff about trying to get him to Dortmund but failing to do so...

Nope, he said he looked at him but chose not to try and sign him. Quite the opposite really.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #28597: Mar 19, 2017 08:04:46 pm
      Nope, he said he looked at him but chose not to try and sign him. Quite the opposite really.

He said he was interested: "'I know a lot about Christian Benteke because when he was at Aston Villa, we were interested too, everyone was interested,' Klopp explained." I don't think that's the opposite here
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28598: Mar 19, 2017 08:19:51 pm
      He said he was interested: "'I know a lot about Christian Benteke because when he was at Aston Villa, we were interested too, everyone was interested,' Klopp explained." I don't think that's the opposite here

Yes maybe opposite was too strong. There seems to be plenty of reports out there from Benteke suggesting Klopp tried to sign him, but from Jürgen's perspective it seemed he always had an issue with Benteke's work ethic:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/636325/Jürgen-Klopp-confirms-striker-agent-airport-discuss-transfer

This is much like the Gotze reports in my opinion, those that claim Gotze was our 'first choice' for example, don't seem to give Jürgen the right to refuse a transfer either. We all know how much Jürgen emphasises attitude and work-rate, in both these cases I think he's simply not got the responses he wanted and pulled the plug.

**link breaks due to accent on the u** just copy and paste to see the article. Key quote:

"From all those things he is a complete striker but at the end you have to work for it.

"He didn't finish development and we, as a team, didn't. In this situation you have to look how it fits."
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28599: Mar 19, 2017 08:28:41 pm
      To be totally honest whatever Jürgen thinks about Origi in the context of this discussion on here, is completely irrelevant to me. If Jürgen were to come out and say "I think Origi will become World class" (as Rodgers did as I recall in one of his more bizarre statements) I would say he is wrong. That's the thing with football opinions, they are like arseholes in the sense that we all have one.

I wasn't shy in saying that I thought Jürgen was wrong to believe the squad was strong enough to go into this season, just like I haven't been shy in saying that we really ought to consider a plan B, or least a plan BP for bus parkers. I haven't been shy in considering whether we might be missing a bit of a trick regarding Sakho, and I didn't and don't shy away from the statement that Jürgen is going to have to get his head around spending big money if he's going to compete regularly for trophies In England.

See I do "trust" Jürgen to do what he thinks is right and to make good decisions most of the time. This isn't some religious cult though where the manager can never be said to have made a mistake (Lord knows I think I've had enough of those days) so I do reserve the right to say if I think he's got it wrong (Jürgen that is). That is of course if he HAS got it wrong on Origi, I don't recall him saying the World Class thing (as I say that was Rodgers) nor do I as BBB said, recall him playing the lad regularly.

We are allowed to say so though if someone makes what we consider to be a mistake. I love the Mrs and trust her implicitly, but if she burns the shepherds pie I'll tell her. Well OK probably I wouldn't, maybe not the best example but you get my drift.     
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #28600: Mar 19, 2017 09:13:12 pm
      Today if ever highlighted that a top striker should be the priority for Summer, there again some of those misses by Aguero! must make Lallana feel a bit better   :D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28601: Mar 19, 2017 09:15:41 pm
      Today if ever highlighted that a top striker should be the priority for Summer, there again some of those misses by Aguero! must make Lallana feel a bit better   :D

Totally agree.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #28602: Mar 19, 2017 09:22:57 pm
      To be totally honest whatever Jürgen thinks about Origi in the context of this discussion on here, is completely irrelevant to me. If Jürgen were to come out and say "I think Origi will become World class" (as Rodgers did as I recall in one of his more bizarre statements) I would say he is wrong. That's the thing with football opinions, they are like arseholes in the sense that we all have one.

I wasn't shy in saying that I thought Jürgen was wrong to believe the squad was strong enough to go into this season, just like I haven't been shy in saying that we really ought to consider a plan B, or least a plan BP for bus parkers. I haven't been shy in considering whether we might be missing a bit of a trick regarding Sakho, and I didn't and don't shy away from the statement that Jürgen is going to have to get his head around spending big money if he's going to compete regularly for trophies In England.

See I do "trust" Jürgen to do what he thinks is right and to make good decisions most of the time. This isn't some religious cult though where the manager can never be said to have made a mistake (Lord knows I think I've had enough of those days) so I do reserve the right to say if I think he's got it wrong (Jürgen that is). That is of course if he HAS got it wrong on Origi, I don't recall him saying the World Class thing (as I say that was Rodgers) nor do I as BBB said, recall him playing the lad regularly.

We are allowed to say so though if someone makes what we consider to be a mistake. I love the Mrs and trust her implicitly, but if she burns the shepherds pie I'll tell her. Well OK probably I wouldn't, maybe not the best example but you get my drift.     

Mick you make these statements on and off and I honestly never see anyone saying you can't accuse making Jürgen of making a mistake. Who is saying that?

Jürgen's made 100s of mistakes in his career, he'll make 100s more, I don't get this religious cult reference at all.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #28603: Mar 19, 2017 09:58:02 pm
      Mick you make these statements on and off and I honestly never see anyone saying you can't accuse making Jürgen of making a mistake. Who is saying that?

Jürgen's made 100s of mistakes in his career, he'll make 100s more, I don't get this religious cult reference at all.

If you want religious cults in favour of managers there is a thread on here that is perfect.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #28604: Mar 20, 2017 02:51:51 am
      Doesn't matter what number targets they are mate, as long as they improve the squad (ie as a midfielder, is he better than kevin Stewart) then apparently all is good.

I must say Mick, that is a clever and creative interpretation of my comments.  However, you're spin assumes that Jürgen will approach the transfer market with the intention of replacing reserve level players with other reserve level players.  Now, I could be wrong on this, but I think a more sensible assumption is that Jürgen is going to target players capable of coming straight into the starting 11.  So, when Jürgen draws up his shortlist, the standard will be whether they are good enough to displace players like Milly, Lovren, Can, Firmino, etc.  I believe that Jürgen and his team will be able to identify 3-5 potentially attainable targets for each position that they want to strengthen.  That way, if/when we miss out on #1 and #2, we will still be able to rely on #3, #4, or #5 to be a high quality player capable of immediately improving us. 

Sure, it would be great if we could get all of Jugen's #1 picks and not have to worry about competition from other sides, but that's not the reality of our situation.  Jürgen knew he had a rebuilding job on his hands when he took this job, and he knew even better what the restrictions and limitations on transfer funds/wages were when he signed an extension to his contract.  I trust that Jürgen has ambitions of winning trophies, and if he didn't think our transfer policy would support his ambitions then he wouldn't have signed the extension.  He knows that we are going to struggle to convince players to come here if they have other options at Munich, Madrid, Barca, etc -- but he was up against similar odds at Dortmund and he did a fine job there.  Is it so hard to trust that he will be able to do the same thing here??   :confused-smiley-013:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #28605: Mar 20, 2017 05:34:13 am
      I do believe Origi has more potential and could still reach a higher level than Lukaku.

I also believe Klopp rates him, but maybe not as much as me :p However, he has 2 strikers that are more established, so Klopp (like any top manager) are most likely to go for the "safe" option.

I think Origi's development like majority of kids with potential at big clubs are hindered. It's not like how it was back in the days where if you played well, you keep your place, right? There is too much pressure at the big clubs to perform and get instant results, hence to reason for playing it safe with established players, but I don't blame the manager for that.

You would know by now if the lad were world class. All the signs are there from pretty much the beginning of a players' career/development, it's innate and it isn't coached. So, for me, it's pretty safe to say Origi will never become world class per se - like Suarez, Messi and whomever.

He may, should improve with coaching over the years, but he certainly won't turn into something he's not.

For now, he's a decent third/fourth choice option (nothing special) (nothing terrible), he is just what he is.

The fact he is now our go to guy from the bench, adding pressure on him, isn't his fault either.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #28606: Mar 20, 2017 08:17:30 am
      I think the whole 1st, 2nd choice target thing is a bit confused on here for some.

If you have read the Secret Footballer articles on t'internet, he sometimes has guest writers, say a coach or agent. I recall one with a scout, who explained how targets work at most big clubs.

They draw up a shortlist for every single position, and most of the topper teams pick the shortlist based on ability first, then everything else second (attitude, work ethic etc)

Let's say Left Back for example. This article was written a while back, and everyone would pick say Ashley Coke as number 1, as at the time, he was by far and large probably the best LB around. Then they go down and down etc.

He goes on to say when the eventual player is picked, normally the manager comes out and says 'We have picked up our top transfer target' etc, when in reality, they are almost always 5th/6th choice. (Unless you are the mega-clubs, Barca, Bayern, Madrid)

Now bringing it into relation for us, here and now, this is where we have to be realistic. Liverpool currently, are simply not going to get the top echelon of player when going against the mega clubs. If we don't get champions league, we won't even get them
      Against the rest (Spurs, City).

If we show progress, and reach Europe, then the Calibre of player we attract will increase, no matter what Jürgen says otherwise.

And this is not even touching on the financial aspect, which has now drastically changed with pretty much the top 8/9 can all pay roughly the same for players.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #28607: Mar 20, 2017 10:50:25 am
      No rumours about this as far as I know, but a player I'd like us to enquire about in the summer is Nolito.
      Sane has pushed him out of the Citeh first team and he might well be available. Ok, he's 30, but he's a skillful little bugger with a good goalscoring record who can play up front or wide.  I think he'd really suit Jürgen's style of play as he's a busy, hustling type of player. Gets a lot of assists too. We could do with another option by way of a winger, and he's quite a useful striker in my opinion as well.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28608: Mar 20, 2017 12:08:42 pm
      No rumours about this as far as I know, but a player I'd like us to enquire about in the summer is Nolito.
      Sane has pushed him out of the Citeh first team and he might well be available. Ok, he's 30, but he's a skillful little bugger with a good goalscoring record who can play up front or wide.  I think he'd really suit Jürgen's style of play as he's a busy, hustling type of player. Gets a lot of assists too. We could do with another option by way of a winger, and he's quite a useful striker in my opinion as well.

There's no chance they sell him. He's not long since signed and he provides some very good depth for them in the attacking areas.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #28609: Mar 20, 2017 01:05:59 pm
      There's no chance they sell him. He's not long since signed and he provides some very good depth for them in the attacking areas.

Don't know. He seems to have fallen out of favour, with Sane and Jesus looking very good for them. They've got a lot of options out wide, with Sterling, DeBruyne, Silva etc all able to play there as well. I'd be asking just in case - like him a lot, and he'd be a good fit for us I think.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28610: Mar 20, 2017 01:46:54 pm
      Don't know. He seems to have fallen out of favour, with Sane and Jesus looking very good for them. They've got a lot of options out wide, with Sterling, DeBruyne, Silva etc all able to play there as well. I'd be asking just in case - like him a lot, and he'd be a good fit for us I think.

Jesus & Nolito aren't really in competition with each other though. Nolito plays out wide whereas Jesus is a central striker. Their main wide options are Sane & Nolito on the left with Sterling & Navas on the right. You're right that De Bruyne - he tends to be preferred as back up than over Navas - can play out wide but it seems like he plays there when they bring off one of the young wide lads and bring on a defensive midfielder later in a game.

I'm not saying I wouldn't ask about him but I wouldn't be at all confident of getting a positive response.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28611: Mar 20, 2017 02:38:26 pm
      He's 30-y-o and on biggish wages, won't happen.

Quick Reply