Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4198969 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,198 posts | 6348 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #29371: May 17, 2017 08:01:35 pm
      Along with that fella Hector (remember him?) and the lad from Hertha (Marvin something?... too lazy to check); they reckon him to be one of the top Left backs in Germany at the moment.

I guess his missus loves the idea of shopping in London; eh?  :laugh:

Seriously. I mean it's likely they won't even be in CL so why in the world would he pick Wenger over Klopp?? It literally makes no sense unless we just aren't interested. Could have sworn we were linked with him in the past though.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #29372: May 17, 2017 08:12:01 pm
      Seriously. I mean it's likely they won't even be in CL so why in the world would he pick Wenger over Klopp?? It literally makes no sense unless we just aren't interested. Could have sworn we were linked with him in the past though.

I'm not sure we were ever linked FL, at least I can't recall but I definitely remember a link with Jonas Hector. I watch a number of Bundesliga games and the few times I saw Schalke, Kolasinac looked good in a tight defence (as did Hector with Koln tbh).

I guess Jürgen knows the German based players way better than us but also way better than he knows Robertson and Sessegnon so the link with them does throw up an interesting question or two.

Either way: I hope he's dung for Arsenal.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2017 09:09:05 pm by bad boy bubby »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29373: May 17, 2017 08:53:34 pm
      Cheers mate. If we did sign 2 left backs then it'd be interesting to see what position Milner becomes back up for. Probably everywhere I guess? :D

Not sure I'd want Sessegnon & Robertson as the combo though. I'm not a fan of Robertson.

Bit of good news for you then mate:

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  2m2 minutes ago
      Hull City left-back Andy Robertson has also been heavily linked, however Liverpool have no plans to follow up their interest. (James Pearce)

Said before I know nothing about the lad but it worries me if we're after anyone that doesn't at least expect their full-backs to bomb on. When we've played Hull I haven't noticed their full-backs getting out of their own half let alone hurting us so I don't feel we're missing out on much here.

Top of my list of possible targets for our full-back positions would be Serge Aurier from PSG, from what I can gather he hasn't played that much (20 apps) now I've no idea if that's through injury or form but I do remember him looking outstanding for the Ivory Coast, him and Trent on the right for me with Milner backing those up.

On the left I'd have no problem with us going after:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/614047/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Ricardo-Rodriguez-Wolfsburg-Talks-18-5m-Gossip

PurpleMonkey has mentioned him a few times and then Raphael Guerreiro would be my number 1 choice.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29374: May 17, 2017 09:13:52 pm
      Bit of good news for you then mate:

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ  2m2 minutes ago
      Hull City left-back Andy Robertson has also been heavily linked, however Liverpool have no plans to follow up their interest. (James Pearce)

Said before I know nothing about the lad but it worries me if we're after anyone that doesn't at least expect their full-backs to bomb on. When we've played Hull I haven't noticed their full-backs getting out of their own half let alone hurting us so I don't feel we're missing out on much here.

Top of my list of possible targets for our full-back positions would be Serge Aurier from PSG, from what I can gather he hasn't played that much (20 apps) now I've no idea if that's through injury or form but I do remember him looking outstanding for the Ivory Coast, him and Trent on the right for me with Milner backing those up.

On the left I'd have no problem with us going after:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/614047/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Ricardo-Rodriguez-Wolfsburg-Talks-18-5m-Gossip

PurpleMonkey has mentioned him a few times and then Raphael Guerreiro would be my number 1 choice.

I couldn't tell you just how relieved I am.

You'd sell Clyne? Big decision that mate.

I knew I'd see you mention Guerreiro at some point, you're like his biggest fan boy :D I'm still waiting to see a game where he plays left back, I keep missing them.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29375: May 17, 2017 09:52:36 pm
      I couldn't tell you just how relieved I am.

You'd sell Clyne? Big decision that mate.

I knew I'd see you mention Guerreiro at some point, you're like his biggest fan boy :D I'm still waiting to see a game where he plays left back, I keep missing them.

:lmao:

Yep am a bit of a fan boy mate, that's fair and I'd most definitely be happy to see Clyne sold as long as we brought in someone like Aurier. I think Trent will be outstanding but it would be foolish to go in with him as the only option but with regards Clyne I think he's by far our most over-rated player.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29376: May 17, 2017 10:40:44 pm
      Aurier who was given a suspended jail sentence for attacking a police officer then dropped by PSG for calling Blanc a faggot.

He will fit in perfect with Klopp  :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29377: May 17, 2017 10:41:14 pm
      You'd sell Clyne? Big decision that mate

If we signed a replacement I'd more than happily see the back of Clyne, don't rate him at all and is no better than Johnson IMO.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29378: May 17, 2017 10:43:15 pm
      If we signed a replacement I'd more than happily see the back of Clyne, don't rate him at all and is no better than Johnson IMO.

Really, you must have forgotten how bad Johnson was in his defensive duties.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #29379: May 17, 2017 10:51:43 pm
      :lmao:

Yep am a bit of a fan boy mate, that's fair and I'd most definitely be happy to see Clyne sold as long as we brought in someone like Aurier. I think Trent will be outstanding but it would be foolish to go in with him as the only option but with regards Clyne I think he's by far our most over-rated player.

Giving Trent some decent game time next season is going to be huge. I've definitely noticed the mishaps of Clyne a lot more in recent months after a few making comments about it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29380: May 17, 2017 10:58:03 pm
      Aurier who was given a suspended jail sentence for attacking a police officer then dropped by PSG for calling Blanc a faggot.

He will fit in perfect with Klopp  :)

I must confess I knew none of that :lmao:

Duly noted! :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29381: May 17, 2017 11:01:31 pm
      Really, you must have forgotten how bad Johnson was in his defensive duties.

Clyne is hardly Mr Reliable. Whilst he might be slightly better defensively he is worse when going forward.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29382: May 17, 2017 11:03:53 pm
      Clyne is hardly Mr Reliable. Whilst he might be slightly better defensively he is worse when going forward.

He's a solid full back and I'd have no issues with him battling it out with a new signing for a place next season.

Have to keep as many players as possible to build a strong squad.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29383: May 17, 2017 11:06:36 pm

"Slightly"........like I said you must have forgotten, can't disagree that Clyne is not as good as Johnson going forward.
      But I'm slightly old fashioned in that I prefer my fullbacks to be better defenders, Esp in a dodgy defence like ours.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29384: May 17, 2017 11:13:22 pm
      "Slightly"........like I said you must have forgotten, can't disagree that Clyne is not as good as Johnson going forward.
      But I'm slightly old fashioned in that I prefer my fullbacks to be better defenders, Esp in a dodgy defence like ours.

I haven't forgotten at all. I also haven't forgotten how Clyne has been a liability for the last 2 seasons. You look at the likes of Walker, Azpilicueta and even Ben Davies, they are all head and shoulders above Clyne, the gap between them is massive IMO. Sure he's not the worst in the world and I'm probably a bit rash in saying bin him off if we can get another RB, because we need the depth to the team but I wouldn't have him as first choice. Get no confidence from him playing at all.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29385: May 17, 2017 11:50:13 pm
      I haven't forgotten at all. I also haven't forgotten how Clyne has been a liability for the last 2 seasons. You look at the likes of Walker, Azpilicueta and even Ben Davies, they are all head and shoulders above Clyne, the gap between them is massive IMO. Sure he's not the worst in the world and I'm probably a bit rash in saying bin him off if we can get another RB, because we need the depth to the team but I wouldn't have him as first choice. Get no confidence from him playing at all.

Stick the likes of Dembele and Wanyama in front of Clyne and yeah you guessed it......................
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29386: May 17, 2017 11:57:28 pm

Stick the likes of Dembele and Wanyama in front of Clyne and yeah you guessed it......................

If he was a CB I'd be inclined to agree, but he's not and having them in front of him wont help when he's getting lost from his position or getting beaten easily by a player going down the wing at him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29387: May 17, 2017 11:57:46 pm

Yeah, he'd have a bigger place to hide. While Klopp's system does expose the full-backs more, it also allows you to see just how good they are at their role. Clyne falls well short of what we need in defence and that's before we get onto his near non-existent contributions in attack.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #29388: May 18, 2017 12:13:23 am
      Yeah, he'd have a bigger place to hide. While Klopp's system does expose the full-backs more, it also allows you to see just how good they are at their role. Clyne falls well short of what we need in defence and that's before we get onto his near non-existent contributions in attack.

I think you know my views by now Luke on Clyne and I have no legs to stand on defending Clynes attacking prowess, or rather lack of.

However to suggest he is as poor as the CB's and in particular anybody next to Matip nah not for me.
      Azipul what ever his name was suggested as better than Clyne going forward really?

It takes a unique fullback to cope with the strains placed in a Klopp system.
      Milner and Clyne have been virtually indestructible ( in Clynes case can't remember him being injured).
      Think I mentioned it previously to get the best out of the fullbacks going forward you need the front players stop playing so narrow, for Clyne that's not a issue as Mane is so destructive but I feel sorry for Milner are Coutinho always cuts inside.

For me Clyne defensively may have had a few wobbles this season but you won't find many better in the price range we operate.

Any suggestions?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #29389: May 18, 2017 12:20:03 am
      Red Bull Leipzig's  Timo Werner striker and midfielder Naby Keita both apparently being watched by LFC .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29390: May 18, 2017 12:20:21 am
      Azipul what ever his name was suggested as better than Clyne going forward really?

As this is referring to my post. I didn't suggest anything about any ability. I said Azpilicueta is a much better player, which he is. You said yourself that you are more bothered about a defender being able to do that rather than being able to attack but guess what, Azpilicueta has done that much better since the day he arrived at the Chavs. I would say he's better going forward too as it goes. He's been playing a different role this season, playing in a back 3 but still has more goals and assists than Clyne this season, just like last season he produced more going forward too.

So in answer to the question, yes, he is better than Clyne going forward, as well as defensively. Just because Clyne looks more fancy going forward than Azpilicueta, doesn't mean he is better at it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #29391: May 18, 2017 12:22:27 am
      I think you know my views by now Luke on Clyne and I have no legs to stand on defending Clynes attacking prowess, or rather lack of.

However to suggest he is as poor as the CB's and in particular anybody next to Matip nah not for me.

Milner and Clyne have been virtually indestructible ( in Clynes case can't remember him being injured).
      Think I mentioned it previously to get the best out of the fullbacks going forward you need the front players stop playing so narrow, for Clyne that's not a issue as Mane is so destructive but I feel sorry for Milner are Coutinho always cuts inside.

For me Clyne defensively may have had a few wobbles this season but you won't find many better in the price range we operate.

Any suggestions?

I'd pretty much agree here on Clyne as a defender but I'm sure there are many full backs around who are as solid as him at the back but offer more the other way.

Personally I'd be in no rush to get rid of Clyne or even worry to much about a RB as we have more pressing issues this summer.
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2017 12:30:36 am by srslfc »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #29392: May 18, 2017 12:22:57 am

...  but we havent got a Wanyama to break up attacks.

Lucas has been the nearest since we lost Mascher.  It hasn't been a priority for a DM to sit in front of the back four and do the dirty work.

Another priority in the Summer window.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29393: May 18, 2017 12:26:30 am

Milner admittedly completely useless and Clyne have been virtually indestructible ( in Clynes case can't remember him being injured).

Any suggestions?

Yep, we had a good debate about it mate and as suggested there I'd be more interested in getting someone far better going forward and, in my opinion, better in defence because I don't think that's too difficult.

As for who, they'd all be at top clubs and difficult to get. A Dani Alves clone please.

(since you scuppered my Aurier idea quite spectacularly :lmao: )

Quick Reply