Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4206695 times
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #32775: Sep 01, 2017 02:32:47 am
      There was something really fishy about this transfer window. It was surprising to see the usual suspects refrain from spending. I mean it should not have been hard for City to spend a few extra millions to get Evans if they really wanted to but for some reason they backed off. Plastics and scum also didnt get all that they wanted. Maybe they were waiting for prices to go down but they never did and the selling clubs showed steely resilience. I think the future will see players giving a lot of thought before signing any long term contracts because for the first time this window the contracts actually meant something.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #32776: Sep 01, 2017 02:36:56 am
      Is the Spanish window still open?
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #32777: Sep 01, 2017 02:44:59 am
      Yes, closes on the 1st @ 23:59.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #32778: Sep 01, 2017 09:05:20 am
      Some good additions this summer but to go into a window obviously looking and needing a CB and not getting one is ridiculous.

« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 09:16:21 am by srslfc »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #32779: Sep 01, 2017 09:15:02 am

We're not selling Cou mate.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #32780: Sep 01, 2017 09:28:40 am

Agreed, there would literally be riots in the streets / martial law if he got sold
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #32781: Sep 01, 2017 10:15:42 am
      If we really wants to go, sell him for January but we get Turan or Rakitic in the deal for January since it's too late to get them now.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #32782: Sep 01, 2017 10:19:46 am

Yes, closes on the 1st @ 23:59.

Closes 11pm UK time tonight.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #32783: Sep 01, 2017 10:24:00 am
      If we really wants to go, sell him for January but we get Turan or Rakitic in the deal for January since it's too late to get them now.

No thanks.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #32784: Sep 01, 2017 11:46:00 am
      Virgil van Dijk is not the only good centre back in the world.

I felt like it needed writing down, lest we all start believing he is. He's not even a "proven" talent either, has barely played two seasons of Premier League football.

I can't believe we're being so inept at getting him AND so stubborn not to consider other options.
      But that is the point, We made no effort to sign a Centre Back from any club let alone VVD... Benedikt Höwedes when to Juve' on loan from Schalke 04, could we not have bought him here on loan...?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32785: Sep 01, 2017 11:48:54 am
      But that is the point, We made no effort to sign a Centre Back from any club let alone VVD... Benedikt Höwedes when to Juve' on loan from Schalke 04, could we not have bought him here on loan...?

Ask Klopp.

I mean he's been asked enough times already, but obviously you missed it, so he needs to be asked again.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #32786: Sep 01, 2017 11:58:50 am
      Ask Klopp.

I mean he's been asked enough times already, but obviously you missed it, so he needs to be asked again.

Have you got his number?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32787: Sep 01, 2017 12:01:15 pm

Not on me.
      Just slip into one of his pressers, I'm sure he'll make time for a faux enraged fan from an internet forum.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #32788: Sep 01, 2017 12:13:28 pm
      Not on me.
      Just slip into one of his pressers, I'm sure he'll make time for a faux enraged fan from an internet forum.

https://youtu.be/KBWuDhIv9B0
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,414 posts | 3408 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #32789: Sep 01, 2017 12:18:21 pm
      Yah supposedly he was right in the middle of it and changed his mind.

He didn't realise that Chelsea played in london
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #32790: Sep 01, 2017 12:27:13 pm
       If there is one positive with this window it's that Arsenal and Chelsea got shafted  >:D
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 12:54:15 pm by Benito »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #32791: Sep 01, 2017 12:29:22 pm
      If there is one positive with this window is that Arsenal and Chelsea got shafted  >:D

Chavs did ok.

Gunners window was a disaster.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32792: Sep 01, 2017 12:35:14 pm
      Chavs did ok.

Gunners window was a disaster.

I don't know about that. (Chelsea)
      They had a couple of decent players in, but their squad is very thin.
      Last I checked they had 21 players named, and some of them were kids.

Arsenal seem to be on a downward trajectory.
      Kopite78
      Reply #32793: Sep 01, 2017 12:37:04 pm

Sometimes you have to try to look from a different angle.

So going into the summer the manager wants VVD, that's his target, that's the best man to improve us.
      So he targets him, he *talks to him and convinces him that Liverpool is his future ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea who he also met with. They both realise that this is perfect.

*These talks go on in every single deal going back to the 60s and 70s so let's not pretend that meeting him was either out of the ordinary or wrong. However I wonder if we overstepped the mark too much, because all clubs meet players and talk to them, Vvd met Wenger face to face and spoke to Conte by all reports. I wonder if the reason we haven't actually bid and are worried by Southampton reporting us maybe because we went even as far to get VVD to sign something and they caught hold of that.. I know that's 1+1 = 200 but there must be more to why we haven't actually bid and made such a cringeworthy appolgy. Just a potential different slant.

Anyway.

Maybe Klopp because as we know he is very loyal to his beliefs and what he tries to built in a unity sense, maybe he said to VVD that he is still his Man, we want him more than ever but we need to wait to see if Southampton allow us to bid or someone else does and that we will wait until the last possible moment, we are committed to him and want him.
      Due to that maybe he's decided to wait on VVD because he feels we owe him after the player put himself out there for the move and that had he signed another top notch first choice cb then he's turning his back on VVD. Because let's face it it's very very rare that clubs have 4 cb the level of matip Matip and VVD, you have two and then you have a third choice of a bit lesser standing and a 4th who is either a kid or someone towards the tail end of a career happy to be a 4th choice. It's pie in the sky thinking you get 4 worldies.
      Maybe he's just prepared to wait on a promise and a handshake they had.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #32794: Sep 01, 2017 12:39:43 pm
      Sometimes you have to try to look from a different angle.

So going into the summer the manager wants VVD, that's his target, that's the best man to improve us.
      So he targets him, he *talks to him and convinces him that Liverpool is his future ahead of Arsenal and Chelsea who he also met with. They both realise that this is perfect.

*These talks go on in every single deal going back to the 60s and 70s so let's not pretend that meeting him was either out of the ordinary or wrong. However I wonder if we overstepped the mark too much, because all clubs meet players and talk to them, Vvd met Wenger face to face and spoke to Conte by all reports. I wonder if the reason we haven't actually bid and are worried by Southampton reporting us maybe because we went even as far to get VVD to sign something and they caught hold of that.. I know that's 1+1 = 200 but there must be more to why we haven't actually bid and made such a cringeworthy appolgy. Just a potential different slant.

Anyway.

Maybe Klopp because as we know he is very loyal to his beliefs and what he tries to built in a unity sense, maybe he said to VVD that he is still his Man, we want him more than ever but we need to wait to see if Southampton allow us to bid or someone else does and that we will wait until the last possible moment, we are committed to him and want him.
      Due to that maybe he's decided to wait on VVD because he feels we owe him after the player out himself out there for the move and that had he signed another top notch first choice cb then he's turning his back on VVD. Because let's face it it's very very rare that clubs have 4 cb the level of matip Mario and VVD, you have two and then you have a third choice of a bit lesser standing and a 4th who is either a kid or someone towards the tail end of a career happy to be a 4th choice. It's pie in the sky thinking you get 4 worldies.
      Maybe he's just prepared to wait on a promise and a handshake they had.

It's as good an explanation as any, and better than most.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #32795: Sep 01, 2017 01:07:20 pm
      Virgil van Dijk is not the only good centre back in the world.

I felt like it needed writing down, lest we all start believing he is. He's not even a "proven" talent either, has barely played two seasons of Premier League football.

I can't believe we're being so inept at getting him AND so stubborn not to consider other options.

Who are the other options though? I have asked a handful of people on here the same thing. Name me 3 other center backs (specifications below). I know you watch a lot of different teams too, so maybe you might be able to provide me an answer, as so far everyone else has ignored the question.

So, we are looking at a center back to partner Matip, we should be upgrading Lovren. For all the stick he gets, Lovren honestly isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Put him back in that Southampton setup and he'll look like a worldclass defender again, the one everyone thought we were getting. He is the perfect example of why the market of center backs we are specifically looking at, is so small. Not too many teams play as high a line as we do and very few teams expose their defence the way we do. So a defender that looks really well for a team that plays a low block, might turn out complete sh*te when confronted with the way we play.

- A relatively young CB (age between something like 24-28 is what Klopp seems to prefer)
      - Decent pace
      - Able to play with lots of space behind him
      - Tall, to deal with the clearances / win the headers at the half way line
      - Good feet to bring the ball out from the back and start an attack
      - That we would be able to bring in (Someone like Varane would be perfect for example, but there's no way we can get him to leave Real Madrid)

The Real Donovan Ried asked why we weren't in for Höwedes. If you even need to ask that question, I wonder wether he even watches our games. There's no way Höwedes is an upgrade on Lovren and that he's able to deal with the way we play. There's a reason why Schalke, who have been sh*te for years now, are allowing him to leave on loan.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions! (I honestly am, as I can't think of many CB's msyself.)
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2017 01:11:33 pm by Danzel »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #32796: Sep 01, 2017 01:17:31 pm
      Ask Klopp.

Obviously he believes his current defenders can be better than those alternatives out there. If he brings in someone who's at least VVD's alternative, the player better be able to walk into the first team. I anticipate that some us will say Klopp bought a player who can't make the first team. Either way we will still complain.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #32797: Sep 01, 2017 01:25:18 pm
      Who are the other options though? I have asked a handful of people on here the same thing. Name me 3 other center backs (specifications below). I know you watch a lot of different teams too, so maybe you might be able to provide me an answer, as so far everyone else has ignored the question.

So, we are looking at a center back to partner Matip, we should be upgrading Lovren. For all the stick he gets, Lovren honestly isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Put him back in that Southampton setup and he'll look like a worldclass defender again, the one everyone thought we were getting. He is the perfect example of why the market of center backs we are specifically looking at, is so small. Not too many teams play as high a line as we do and very few teams expose their defence the way we do. So a defender that looks really well for a team that plays a low block, might turn out complete sh*te when confronted with the way we play.

- A relatively young CB (age between something like 24-28 is what Klopp seems to prefer)
      - Decent pace
      - Able to play with lots of space behind him
      - Tall, to deal with the clearances / win the headers at the half way line
      - Good feet to bring the ball out from the back and start an attack
      - That we would be able to bring in (Someone like Varane would be perfect for example, but there's no way we can get him to leave Real Madrid)

The Real Donovan Ried asked why we weren't in for Höwedes. If you even need to ask that question, I wonder wether he even watches our games. There's no way Höwedes is an upgrade on Lovren and that he's able to deal with the way we play. There's a reason why Schalke, who have been sh*te for years now, are allowing him to leave on loan.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions! (I honestly am, as I can't think of many CB's msyself.)

Off the top of my head as good as VVD

Vertonghen
      Manolas
      Alderweireld
      Marquinhos

But the question is who is better than Lovren, in which case fill your boots mate with literally dozens across Europe.

Quick Reply