Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4284784 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #35558: Jun 07, 2018 08:35:00 pm
      10 clean sheets and 14 goals allowed in the 2nd half of the season since Karius-VVD-Robertson came into the starting XI, best in the league. This issue has been fixed, time to put resources somewhere else.

So you're happy for us not to sign a keeper?

Yea ok :roll:
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35559: Jun 07, 2018 08:44:20 pm
      So you're happy for us not to sign a keeper?

Yea ok :roll:

Yes, because we had the best defense in the league since those 3 i mentioned came into the starting XI that over a full season would rank us top 3 defensively and tops of clean sheets.

I much rather take those funds and get more quality depth so that we're not losing points later in the season because our forwards are run down and we don't have enough top quality on the bench (thinking Mane/Firmino/Salah) to give them a rest.

When we were dropping 9 points in the Everton / WBA / Stoke / Chelsea games in the last month of the season, it was not because of our goalie or our defense, but because we were gassed and could not break those teams down to score enough goals. We only score in ONE of those 4 games, so i rank forward quality and depth ahead of trying to improve on what was already the best defense in the league for the last half of the season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35560: Jun 07, 2018 08:46:07 pm
      10 clean sheets and 14 goals allowed in the 2nd half of the season since Karius-VVD-Robertson came into the starting XI, best in the league. This issue has been fixed, time to put resources somewhere else.

Strange thing to say when the keeper was directly at fault for 2 shocking goals a couple of weeks ago.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #35561: Jun 07, 2018 09:08:15 pm
      Strange thing to say when the keeper was directly at fault for 2 shocking goals a couple of weeks ago.

Concussion was at fault though  :roll:

But in reality, Oblak for 80 plz.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35562: Jun 07, 2018 09:45:03 pm

1 really crappy game, where he may or may not have been concussed, does not suddenly remove the other 19 games where he was part of the best defensive team in the league during that time period. It may hurt people like you to admit it, but that was the case.

How much incrementally better can we get from a team that over a full season would give up less than 30 goals and have 20 clean sheets? Probably not much and not worth 60-80M. Plus Fabinho and Keita make us even better collectively in defense. On the other hand, i already mentioned 9 points we dropped because we didn't have the necessary quality and depth up front to grind through a season making a deep run in European competition.

I much rather use our resources, that while vast are not unlimited, in getting a midfielder who can thread that pass or hit that shot to unlock a parked bus, or a top winger so that when one of the front 3 is not on the field the drop in quality is not as massive. So far we have not really addressed that issue as neither Keita or Fabinho are here for that reason.

Kopite78
      Reply #35563: Jun 07, 2018 09:48:43 pm
      1 really crappy game, where he may or may not have been concussed, does not suddenly remove the other 19 games where he was part of the best defensive team in the league during that time period. It may hurt people like you to admit it, but that was the case.

How much incrementally better can we get from a team that over a full season would give up less than 30 goals and have 20 clean sheets? Probably not much and not worth 60-80M. Plus Fabinho and Keita make us even better collectively in defense. On the other hand, i already mentioned 9 points we dropped because we didn't have the necessary quality and depth up front to grind through a season making a deep run in European competition.

I much rather use our resources, that while vast are not unlimited, in getting a midfielder who can thread that pass or hit that shot to unlock a parked bus, or a top winger so that when one of the front 3 is not on the field the drop in quality is not as massive. So far we have not really addressed that issue as neither Keita or Fabinho are here for that reason.

Give it a few more years and you might understand the game
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35564: Jun 07, 2018 10:00:58 pm

You obviously haven't seen Keita play , have you?!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #35565: Jun 07, 2018 10:03:26 pm
      Even if you agree or disagree that Karius should be here next season most agree that Migs should not.

We definitely need a keeper and if it was me I'd be buying the best I could and see of Karius rises to a challenge and if he doesn't we have a number 1 anyway.

We need a CB and a CF as well in my opinion to add to what we already have.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35566: Jun 07, 2018 10:08:12 pm

If Keita is the answer, why are we rumored for Fekir? or Lemar? or Pulisic? It’s obvious we need and want more offensive players
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018 10:17:23 pm by CT_LFC »
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35567: Jun 07, 2018 10:10:59 pm
      Give it a few more years and you might understand the game

Yea, maybe by then i will learn to only look through a biased tunnel and judge based on nationality  ;)
      Kopite78
      Reply #35568: Jun 07, 2018 10:13:59 pm
      Yea, maybe by then i will learn to only look through a biased tunnel and judge based on nationality  ;)

I wouldn't do that 🤜🤛
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35569: Jun 07, 2018 10:34:37 pm
      If Keita is the answer, why are we rumored for Fekir? or Lemar? or Pulisic? It’s obvious we need and want more offensive players

Um, because they play different roles to Keita? Seriously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1cfXqL_38

A snippet for you, and as you can see, Keita is the answer and addressed. You are welcome to go back and watch full matches too.

I am curious, what do you think Keita is bought in for?
      Kopite78
      Reply #35570: Jun 07, 2018 10:38:24 pm
      Just thinking we've essentially got Keita, Fekir and Fabinho for the same price as we sold Coutinho

We got the better deal there
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #35571: Jun 07, 2018 10:45:28 pm
      Just thinking we've essentially got Keita, Fekir and Fabinho for the same price as we sold Coutinho

Better still, we got Keita and Fabinho for £6m more than Pogba :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #35572: Jun 07, 2018 10:51:17 pm

Now to spend our proper transfer budget on a keeper, CB and a forward.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #35573: Jun 07, 2018 10:51:22 pm
      our potential midfield for next season looks f***in scary and then add Ox to the list and its a mouth watering proposition .
      What we gained in quality last season we sadly lacked in depth from the bench and the squad in General that isn't going to be the case this coming season
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #35574: Jun 07, 2018 11:04:38 pm

Net spend winners!!! ;D
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #35575: Jun 07, 2018 11:37:52 pm
      Now to spend our proper transfer budget on a keeper, CB and a forward.

Would be nice but unless we sell again I think that's the money spent.

Hope I'm wrong
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35576: Jun 07, 2018 11:41:51 pm

Hurt people like me? Maybe you should look back over his player thread because I have supported him from day 1 and wanted him to be a success, that doesn't suit your narrative though does it...
      But, unlike you, I'm not blinkered to his faults, such as making a very similar mistake to Madrid's 2nd goal against Roma, only to be saved by the bar behind him. Or when he was stood on his line vs Roma, a ball over the top he should have come out to claim but instead stayed put and got away with the save...I remember Hendo completely slaughtering him for not coming out to claim it.

That just goes to show what you know about Keita, you are aware he's more attacking that defensive right? Also you are aware we didn't just lose points on the run in because of a lack of depth in attack right? Such as when we were 2-0 up vs WBA but then gave away 2 sloppy goals and lose the 3 points.

Keita is a big goal threat, both in a scoring sense and creating sense.

The most under invested area of our team over the last 6 years or so has been the keepers. You say about spending money for in attack to unlock those stubborn defenses, yet you are happy for us to continue mingling along with a keeper who despite showing good signs, completely fell apart in the biggest game this club has had for a long time. How about having a keeper that is proven, top class that instead of costing us goals, saves us points when we need it most. Because whether you like it or not Karius has cost far too many goals over his time with us so far (you seem to forget a shocking free kick he let in early stages of the CL). Granted he's been quite solid since becoming first choice, but a lot of that is down to Van Dijk and his leadership at the back.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35577: Jun 07, 2018 11:53:59 pm
      Um, because they play different roles to Keita? Seriously...

Exactly. We were after Keita long before Coutinho decided to turn into a snake and leave and it's Phil's skillset that we need to replace and haven't (until Fekir leans on something), as well as add to the front 3.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35578: Jun 08, 2018 12:10:13 am
      Hurt people like me? Maybe you should look back over his player thread because I have supported him from day 1 and wanted him to be a success, that doesn't suit your narrative though does it...
      But, unlike you, I'm not blinkered to his faults, such as making a very similar mistake to Madrid's 2nd goal against Roma, only to be saved by the bar behind him. Or when he was stood on his line vs Roma, a ball over the top he should have come out to claim but instead stayed put and got away with the save...I remember Hendo completely slaughtering him for not coming out to claim it.

Oh no, he made a few mistakes? gotcha. Name a goalie who hasn't.

While all you care about is "omg, i saw a ball go through his fingers and hit the crossbar, WE MUST GET A NEW KEEPER" the reality is he was contributor to the team being rock solid defensively the 2nd half of the season and keeping the ball out of the net is no longer an area we need to prioritize.

That just goes to show what you know about Keita, you are aware he's more attacking that defensive right? Also you are aware we didn't just lose points on the run in because of a lack of depth in attack right? Such as when we were 2-0 up vs WBA but then gave away 2 sloppy goals and lose the 3 points.

Sure, we gave up 2 late goals against WBA, a disappointment to say the least, but interestingly you ignore the other 3 games in that same time span against Chelsea, Everton and Stoke where we dropped 7 combined points and DID NOT SCORE A SINGLE GOAL. Oh right, it does not fit your narrative of needing a new goalie.

The most under invested area of our team over the last 6 years or so has been the keepers. You say about spending money for in attack to unlock those stubborn defenses, yet you are happy for us to continue mingling along with a keeper who despite showing good signs, completely fell apart in the biggest game this club has had for a long time. How about having a keeper that is proven, top class that instead of costing us goals, saves us points when we need it most. Because whether you like it or not Karius has cost far too many goals over his time with us so far (you seem to forget a shocking free kick he let in early stages of the CL). Granted he's been quite solid since becoming first choice, but a lot of that is down to Van Dijk and his leadership at the back.

This one is one of my favorites ;D. If it's mainly because of Van Dijk then why the F**k do you want a new goalie so badly if Van Dik is the reason anyways? oh right right, the narrative.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35579: Jun 08, 2018 12:18:57 am
      Oh no, he made a few mistakes? gotcha. Name a goalie who hasn't.

While all you care about is "omg, i saw a ball go through his fingers and hit the crossbar, WE MUST GET A NEW KEEPER" the reality is he was contributor to the team being rock solid defensively the 2nd half of the season and keeping the ball out of the net is no longer an area we need to prioritize.

I can name plenty more mistakes, as I'm sure everyone else can too.

Sure, we gave up 2 late goals against WBA, a disappointment to say the least, but interestingly you ignore the other 3 games in that same time span against Chelsea, Everton and Stoke where we dropped 7 combined points and DID NOT SCORE A SINGLE GOAL. Oh right, it does not fit your narrative of needing a new goalie.

You're right we didn't score a goal. But we also didn't keep a clean sheet vs Chelsea. Also, in regards to Stoke, we did get the ball in the net and we were denied a blatant penalty from a goal saving handball, so that could easily have been 3 points there, but of course, doesn't suit you does it, you only see that we failed to score whilst forgetting something as big as the handball that was never given.

This one is one of my favorites ;D. If it's mainly because of Van Dijk then why the f**k do you want a new goalie so badly if Van Dik is the reason anyways? oh right right, the narrative.

Jesus christ :laugh:... the mistakes he is still making costing us goals or getting away with by the skin of his teeth!!!!!

I can't believe that for someone who is so desperate to chuck a load more money at attacking players, you are so against us finally investing in our most under invested area and arguably our weakest area of the last 6 years+. Though I have no doubt that if we stick with Karius and we are losing points because of him or conceding sloppy goals because of him, you will be one of the first to moan that we didn't spend to improve him in the summer.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #35580: Jun 08, 2018 12:57:28 am

You're right we didn't score a goal. But we also didn't keep a clean sheet vs Chelsea. Also, in regards to Stoke, we did get the ball in the net and we were denied a blatant penalty from a goal saving handball, so that could easily have been 3 points there, but of course, doesn't suit you does it, you only see that we failed to score whilst forgetting something as big as the handball that was never given.

This reeks of desperation. Chelsea's goal had nothing to do with our goalie. Put anyone in that net (your binky Allison or anyone else) and they still score on that play, however, you cannot win of you don't score, and we didn't and struggled towards the end because we had to play the same 3 up front in every game due to lack of depth.

And are you really bringing up plays that should have gone in our favor? why not bring up goals we gave up due to bullshit calls like the Spurs PK in extra time? in the end "should have beens" don't count in the standings and we did not get those calls our way and Spurs got their PK to steal 2 points, but when all was said and done and the season ended we had the best defensive record in the entire league the 2nd half of the year, and yes, in part due to our goalie.

I can't believe that for someone who is so desperate to chuck a load more money at attacking players, you are so against us finally investing in our most under invested area and arguably our weakest area of the last 6 years+. Though I have no doubt that if we stick with Karius and we are losing points because of him or conceding sloppy goals because of him, you will be one of the first to moan that we didn't spend to improve him in the summer.

No, i am not desperate to throw money at attacking players, i just see backup for the front 3 as a higher need than goalie. When City wants to sub in a forward, they bring in Aguero and don't miss a beat. We bring in Danny Ings and Dom Solanke. Those 2 should be depth players and not the first sub on the field in the CL final when Salah has to come off. To me, that's a much bigger need than improving upon a goalie that had 10 clean sheets in 19 games and I no longer see goalie as a priority.

Since resources are not unlimited, i'd be much happier with Karius + 1 of Lemar / Pulisic / Werner than Allison / Oblak + Shaqiri, as i saw how strong we were defensively the last 19gms and likely to get better with Fabinho as a dedicated DM and Keita disrupting play in midfield.

As for spend in the summer, i know i am newer here, but i am not in the anti-FSG/American, net spend-be-all-end-all crew, all i care about is that every year we are improving and if we end up getting Keita + Fabinho + Fekir for the same amount of money that we sold Phil for, i will not care one bit as i'd say we got the better of it, while others may complain that our net spend is zero and use that as a stick to beat FSG with.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2018 01:03:20 am by CT_LFC »

Quick Reply