Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179288 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #35696: Jun 13, 2018 07:04:56 pm
      Not surprised they escaped sanctions but PSG have to raise ~60M by end of month to avoid any issues. Let's help them out by taking Draxler off their hands.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/paris-saint-germain/story/3524727/psg-avoids-ffp-penalty-but-must-raise-immediate-funds-to-satisfy-uefa

they will just get a new sponsor deal from any of firms who have middle eastern connection. just like city did with etihad deal.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35697: Jun 13, 2018 07:10:46 pm
      If we are done buying, it's a complete joke.

We are trying to replicate what we did last year AND go further, which means we need way more talent. We weren't even close to City and they haven't weakened. We need to add 3 or 4 really good players this window just to make up some ground. We have the money, we have the pull, this is a vitally important time for our club if we want to not only progress but ensure that we stay at or near the top year in and year out.

Let me remind you of what Werner said before the final:

“I am excited to see Naby Keita join the club this summer and I can only promise our supporters that we will continue to improve the squad,” he said.

“Whatever happens on Saturday night, we will ensure we have a strong squad to compete for trophies next season which will have even more depth.

“We will make decisions that will improve the team and we will sign players who make us even more successful.”

No need to remind me.

My closing sentence again: "Again, I would expect more incoming (and think we need it to contend), but it's not out of the question that we are done buying for the summer window."
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #35698: Jun 13, 2018 07:11:56 pm
      Aren't you forgetting Fabinho and Keita. In reality even if we don't sign any more players we have already significantly strengthened.

No way buddy! We definitely need a front-3 player this summer. Fabinho is solid and I couldnt be more happy. But who apart from Keita offers 'penetration'? The only player in the current squad who does that is out until December.

So, we MUST do that combo!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #35699: Jun 13, 2018 07:17:51 pm
      Don't  get all this draxler hype, club career extremely underwhelming
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35700: Jun 13, 2018 07:20:57 pm
      No way buddy! We definitely need a front-3 player this summer. Fabinho is solid and I couldnt be more happy. But who apart from Keita offers 'penetration'? The only player in the current squad who does that is out until December.

So, we MUST do that combo!

Fabinho can score and create a few too but yes we absolutely need an attacking midfielder and a pacy forward as backup for the front lads.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35701: Jun 13, 2018 07:21:43 pm
      Don't  get all this draxler hype, club career extremely underwhelming

He's massively overrated mate.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35702: Jun 13, 2018 07:23:43 pm
      Guedes looks a good player for PSG he was on loan to Valencia last season.

Tipped as one of the young players to watch at the World Cup.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #35703: Jun 13, 2018 07:32:44 pm
      Guedes looks a good player for PSG he was on loan to Valencia last season.

Tipped as one of the young players to watch at the World Cup.

They would be foolish to sell him. He can save them millions and can be an incredible back-up to the Neymar-Cavani-Mbappe front 3!!

But this is PSG! They'll probably sell him for Hazard!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #35704: Jun 13, 2018 07:39:13 pm
      They would be foolish to sell him. He can save them millions and can be an incredible back-up to the Neymar-Cavani-Mbappe front 3!!

Id test PSG for Pastore. Been a huge fan of him since the Palermo days. Not going to happen but one can dream.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #35705: Jun 13, 2018 07:48:50 pm

Or Draxler :/
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #35706: Jun 13, 2018 08:14:20 pm
      Not surprised they escaped sanctions but PSG have to raise ~60M by end of month to avoid any issues. Let's help them out by taking Draxler off their hands.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/paris-saint-germain/story/3524727/psg-avoids-ffp-penalty-but-must-raise-immediate-funds-to-satisfy-uefa

Let's help them out by taking Neymar off their hands. He can back up Mo and Salah.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #35707: Jun 13, 2018 10:13:15 pm
      Lazio keeper being linked now 🤔
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #35708: Jun 13, 2018 10:37:57 pm
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35709: Jun 13, 2018 11:08:11 pm

Would take him in a heartbeat he's so much better than what Mourinho has made him look.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #35710: Jun 13, 2018 11:15:19 pm
      Lazio keeper being linked now 🤔

Google a goalkeeper and link him with Liverpool
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #35711: Jun 13, 2018 11:24:33 pm
      Id test PSG for Pastore. Been a huge fan of him since the Palermo days. Not going to happen but one can dream.

Think his best days are behind him now, killed his career going to PSG.

I’d steer clear of Draxler too, not really interested in players that have previously turned us down.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #35712: Jun 14, 2018 06:02:58 am
      What are people's thoughts on young French centre back Issa Diop from Toulouse? I vaguely remember us being "linked" with him last season but always thought it more likely he'd go to Barcelona, PSG, or Monaco before considering Liverpool. However, the latest news seem to indicate West Ham are close to a deal for him for 22 mil. West Ham?!

The guy is 6'4" and, like our new signing, Fabinho, has a great tackling range too. He's aggressive (but not so error-prone as Lovren when doing so), and I've seem him expose gaps in front of him and charge up the field initiating counter-attacks. Again, West Ham?! Imagine him and Van Dijk as our centre back pairing for the next five years!

I get the feeling we're not seriously considering getting in someone else to push Lovren, Matip, and Gomes for the other CB spot, and just going to rely on them and Klavan for depth. Anyone else worried about this?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #35713: Jun 14, 2018 09:02:28 am

I would tempt them with a 50mil bid. He is more than what Maureen has made out of him. Can play anywhere across the front-3, something we are desperate for.

So why not?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #35714: Jun 14, 2018 09:03:39 am
      Is there any truth to the rumors saying we're selling Grujic to Lazio?

I don't understand, isn't this kid showing enough promise to at least keep him another year or two and let him try to steal a couple of starts from the current midfield roster? I also remember reading that he was to a certain extent in Klopp's plans for next season.

Another thing I don't understand is the fee being mentioned. Something around €6M if I remember correctly. Can't we bargain for more or maybe a swap deal for somebody on their team? I understand he's basically unproven, but in this market players we've never heard of and half of a decent season under their belts are being thrown around for 20s and 30s and we're selling him at 6?

Just keep the lad and try to develop him at this point. We're gonna be missing Ox for half the season anyway (late November or so).

Type of deal where Lazio turns him into a Zelinski or Milinkovic Savic and next you know he's being sold at bargain fee of €57M in a couple of seasons.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #35715: Jun 14, 2018 09:07:23 am
      What are people's thoughts on young French centre back Issa Diop from Toulouse? I vaguely remember us being "linked" with him last season but always thought it more likely he'd go to Barcelona, PSG, or Monaco before considering Liverpool. However, the latest news seem to indicate West Ham are close to a deal for him for 22 mil. West Ham?!

The guy is 6'4" and, like our new signing, Fabinho, has a great tackling range too. He's aggressive (but not so error-prone as Lovren when doing so), and I've seem him expose gaps in front of him and charge up the field initiating counter-attacks. Again, West Ham?! Imagine him and Van Dijk as our centre back pairing for the next five years!

I get the feeling we're not seriously considering getting in someone else to push Lovren, Matip, and Gomes for the other CB spot, and just going to rely on them and Klavan for depth. Anyone else worried about this?

Not really. Lovren-Virgil would be the starting pair and we got Matip, Gomez and Klavan. 5 CBs should be good and but for the odd 'scares', Lovren was quite good in the second half of last season. Jürgen has huge trust in that bunch.

Dont think we'll spend on a CB, cos our primary targets are a winger and #10!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35716: Jun 14, 2018 11:20:21 am
      I would tempt them with a 50mil bid. He is more than what Maureen has made out of him. Can play anywhere across the front-3, something we are desperate for.

So why not?

Do you really think this is happening?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35717: Jun 14, 2018 11:25:09 am
      Is there any truth to the rumors saying we're selling Grujic to Lazio?

I don't understand, isn't this kid showing enough promise to at least keep him another year or two and let him try to steal a couple of starts from the current midfield roster? I also remember reading that he was to a certain extent in Klopp's plans for next season.

Another thing I don't understand is the fee being mentioned. Something around €6M if I remember correctly. Can't we bargain for more or maybe a swap deal for somebody on their team? I understand he's basically unproven, but in this market players we've never heard of and half of a decent season under their belts are being thrown around for 20s and 30s and we're selling him at 6?

Just keep the lad and try to develop him at this point. We're gonna be missing Ox for half the season anyway (late November or so).

Type of deal where Lazio turns him into a Zelinski or Milinkovic Savic and next you know he's being sold at bargain fee of €57M in a couple of seasons.

I've seen these stories as well. I wonder if Lucas has encouraged Lazio management to look into this.

It's always tough for young players to break in at big clubs. TAA is very much the exception to the rule over the past several years with us. I guess Marko did pretty well for Cardiff on loan, but that's a long way from helping us win a Premier League title and contending for honors in the Champions League. We are bringing in (at least) two first choice central midfielders so time on the par will be harder to come by.

But from his perspective, it's time to be playing regular first team football. No idea if Lazio interest is real. I'd like to see him get a chance with us but the numbers don't really work in his favor.

EDIT: Just now seeing the following: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/football-transfer-rumours-liverpool-lazio-goalkeeper-thomas-strakosha - seems Grujic might be used as part of a swap deal for the Lazio goalkeeper, Thomas Strakosha. Anyone know if that keeper would be an upgrade for us?
      « Last Edit: Jun 14, 2018 11:32:04 am by Robby The Z »
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #35718: Jun 14, 2018 11:30:36 am
      Not really. Lovren-Virgil would be the starting pair and we got Matip, Gomez and Klavan. 5 CBs should be good and but for the odd 'scares', Lovren was quite good in the second half of last season. Jürgen has huge trust in that bunch.

Dont think we'll spend on a CB, cos our primary targets are a winger and #10!

Oh I'd agree the second half of the season saw a solid improvement in his overall performance, but I felt those scares you mention are always in him because of his decision making process. He'll almost always go for the aggressive or proactive approach instead of a conservative, covering one. That's not such a bad thing if him failing has, say, <10% chance of creating a clear cut chance on goal for an opponent, but his scares tend to gift goals to opponents when a more conservative approach would have resulted in only a tricky contested shot at worst. Personally, Moreno, Matip, Karius, and Mignolet all have it in them, and that's why none should be in our first choice lineups against big teams when it counts. All capable of good but you can guarantee they'll cost you a game or two a season, especially in pressure situations. And that's the difference between Liverpool and whoever wins the title each year.

When TAA and Robertson have made (predominantly smaller) mistakes, I feel like they're learning from them and adapting their approach. Gomez is also very prone to poor judgement but I think the jury is still out on him until he's more consistently fit and has more regular games.

Personally, I'd like to see us spend on upgrading the weak spots in our starting line up. You know, the team (not the squad) that will face the Man Citys and Real Madrids. I feel like the inclusion of Fabinho and Keita are great and just what we needed in those positions. A midfield three with them and one of Henderson, Lallana, or Ox would be great in our system, with Milner and Wijnaldum as the remaining rotation options.

I feel a winger would just be for rotation, so we shouldn't be spending more than 15 mil. I'd much rather see us get, say, a Gelson Martins for free if possible (or a reduced fee, if not) or even someone like a Moses Simon to be tutored into the Klopp way (just like Ox's game was taken to a new level in our system). Or even both. There is good value to be had for rotation wingers. We don't need a big name, just someone with pace, a bit of trickery, and a decent engine. Our system helps such players out.

But as far as starting lineups go, that leaves us still with (in my opinion only of course) with two glaring holes at GK and CB. I have little issue with Gomez, Lovren, or Matip filling in against weaker PL teams, but when PL and CL titles are often lost against big teams because of individual blunders, I can just see us looking back again at the end of next year at the same predictable mistakes costing us (the mistakes that players at the very top clubs just don't do).

So yeah, personally, I'd like us to sell Matip and bring in an Issa for 20 odd mil, or even splurge 30 odd to bring in an Ake or De Ligt to pair with Van Digt. Obviously the Dutch options could be particularly advantageous for familiarity reasons. And then yeah, look to sell Mignolet and bring in a commanding keeper. Doesn't have to be a crazy shot stopper like De Gea, Neuer, or Courtois, just someone physical who commands the box, communicates well, and you feel confident will claim most balls in the air with conviction. An alpha dog. Keepers like that organically reduce the number of brain snaps from their defenders in front of them too.

I agree though that we may still need to splurge on a #10 Fekir-style player to help us unlock the teams that park the bus. It wouldn't be as critical if we ended up utilising Fabinho (with his great tackling range and circulation of the football) as, say, Fernandinho with Man City, then we can push up our fullbacks more again with less risk, and even our other two mids the way De Bruyne and David Silva do. However, there is a good chance Henderson will remain in that position predominantly, meaning those other players can't be as aggressive because of a less reliable range in tackling and because he is circulation choice tends to be short passes to his CBs and FBs unless he has heaps of time on the ball.

Any thoughts on an alternative target to Fekir?

Quick Reply