Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179317 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36524: Jul 24, 2018 11:56:48 pm
      Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge set to stay for another season

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-striker-daniel-sturridge-set-14945863

I simply can not understand Klopp's thinking here, surly I would be better to try and re-coup some for the money and re-invest it on someone who is not made of glass...
      And Yes, we all know how deadly he can be in front of goal when fit but as we all saw last season while on loan at West Brom, he never stays fit for long

This is a major mistake...

Why does Klopp take so long to learn from his mistakes  :depressed:

Who is going to buy him on his wages and what exactly do you think were going to get for him with 1 year left on his contract...for that matter why would he leave?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36525: Jul 25, 2018 12:00:26 am
      Who is going to buy him on his wages with 1 year left on his contract...for that matter why would he leave?
      We will never know... But as I stated else where I believe if not a team in the premier league (someone would I am sure taken the chance) then a team from abroad, Spain maybe a Germany side
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #36526: Jul 25, 2018 12:07:05 am
      26mill for divock?!
      If hes that good why not hold onto him.
      If we get that then we should start selling sand to the arabs.
      We've come a long long way in the bargaining dept..

Sell quick bite there hand off
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36527: Jul 25, 2018 12:17:12 am
      We will never know... But as I stated else where I believe if not a team in the premier league (someone would I am sure taken the chance) then a team from abroad, Spain maybe a Germany side

I doubt Spain or Germany are going to do 120K + week in wages are they?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36528: Jul 25, 2018 12:29:05 am

Correct. And Daniel isn't going to take a pay cut for his final year.

But he is looking and acting differently this preseason than before. Not to say he couldn't get injured. He broke down against Bayern Munich last preseason just as he was scoring a good goal, but Klopp apparently sees something different.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36529: Jul 25, 2018 12:48:34 am
      Just having a look at what our likely squad would be (minus the ones seemingly actively shopped: Mignolet, Origi, Ings, Markovic, Grujic, Ojo, Chrivella)

CL SQUAD:
      Gk) Alisson
      Gk) Karius
      Gk) Grabara**
      Rb) Alexander-Arnold**
      Rb) Clyne*
      Cb) Van Dijk
      Cb) Lovren
      Cb) Matip
      Cb) Gomez**
      Cb) Klavan
      Lb) Robertson
      Lb) Moreno
      Cm) Keita
      Cm) Fabinho
      Cm) Henderson*
      Cm) Lallana*
      Cm) Wijnaldum
      Cm) Milner*
      F) Firmino
      F) Salah
      F) Mane
      F) Shaqiri
      F) Sturridge*
      F) Solanke*
      F) Woodburn**

*10 & **4

With Ox seemingly out for the year and unlikely to be registered (at least for first half), the above would be the 25 players we'd likely have for the CL (needing to have at least 8 homegrown* players, including 4 of them clubgrown**).

The PL squad would be the same, however, TAA, Solanke, Woodburn, Grabara, and I believe even Gomez would all technically be considered U21, and exempt from taking up a registration slot. So that would free up 5 slots (but 3 of them must be homegrown).

Any decent new signing would expect to be registered for both competitions. So essentially, anyone we buy would have to knock out a non-clubgrown** player from the CL squad. If we buy two foreign players, that knocked out player would also get knocked out of the PL squad (except for Solanke).

So the way I see it, (if any) we are likely to bring in only one more first team player this year (at the expense of Solanke). Such a player would likely be a versatile attacking one. If it was at the expense of Sturridge or Klavan, then either could still play in PL, but if we brought in two, one would have to be sold, as they couldn't be registered for either squad.

We'd also have Brewster available for the second half of the year who would be expecting some PL action (but wouldn't need to be registered for the competition).

So we're pretty limited on the transfer front. I'd say it's extremely unlikely we'd bring in another backup GK (unless we sold BOTH Mignolet and Karius) because he wouldn't be clubgrown like Grabara, meaning we'd have to kick an outfield player from the squad, sacrificing our depth.

I think it's a #10 style player who can play both mid and in the forward line, or nothing. If Sturridge transfer rumblings pick up again, and we manage to also offload most of our other listed players, then we could see another forward come in.

But I don't think the club or Klopp want senior players hanging around who can't play either comp, so players leaving are critical before we fill up that last spot or two.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #36530: Jul 25, 2018 07:19:49 am

Where were you when we nearly won the title with Suarez and Studge scoring for fun ? Top class,  he has performed there fella.

Sturridge is one of the best strikers when in form but we cannot rely on him, not because he does not have an impact. In fact I bet that in 2 games he'll score at least one.But if he's not ready to play, we cannot rely solely on Firmino as main striker.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36531: Jul 25, 2018 07:56:09 am
      Just having a look at what our likely squad would be (minus the ones seemingly actively shopped: Mignolet, Origi, Ings, Markovic, Grujic, Ojo, Chrivella)

CL SQUAD:
      Gk) Alisson
      Gk) Karius
      Gk) Grabara**
      Rb) Alexander-Arnold**
      Rb) Clyne*
      Cb) Van Dijk
      Cb) Lovren
      Cb) Matip
      Cb) Gomez**
      Cb) Klavan
      Lb) Robertson
      Lb) Moreno
      Cm) Keita
      Cm) Fabinho
      Cm) Henderson*
      Cm) Lallana*
      Cm) Wijnaldum
      Cm) Milner*
      F) Firmino
      F) Salah
      F) Mane
      F) Shaqiri
      F) Sturridge*
      F) Solanke*
      F) Woodburn**

*10 & **4

With Ox seemingly out for the year and unlikely to be registered (at least for first half), the above would be the 25 players we'd likely have for the CL (needing to have at least 8 homegrown* players, including 4 of them clubgrown**).

The PL squad would be the same, however, TAA, Solanke, Woodburn, Grabara, and I believe even Gomez would all technically be considered U21, and exempt from taking up a registration slot. So that would free up 5 slots (but 3 of them must be homegrown).

Any decent new signing would expect to be registered for both competitions. So essentially, anyone we buy would have to knock out a non-clubgrown** player from the CL squad. If we buy two foreign players, that knocked out player would also get knocked out of the PL squad (except for Solanke).

So the way I see it, (if any) we are likely to bring in only one more first team player this year (at the expense of Solanke). Such a player would likely be a versatile attacking one. If it was at the expense of Sturridge or Klavan, then either could still play in PL, but if we brought in two, one would have to be sold, as they couldn't be registered for either squad.

We'd also have Brewster available for the second half of the year who would be expecting some PL action (but wouldn't need to be registered for the competition).

So we're pretty limited on the transfer front. I'd say it's extremely unlikely we'd bring in another backup GK (unless we sold BOTH Mignolet and Karius) because he wouldn't be clubgrown like Grabara, meaning we'd have to kick an outfield player from the squad, sacrificing our depth.

I think it's a #10 style player who can play both mid and in the forward line, or nothing. If Sturridge transfer rumblings pick up again, and we manage to also offload most of our other listed players, then we could see another forward come in.

But I don't think the club or Klopp want senior players hanging around who can't play either comp, so players leaving are critical before we fill up that last spot or two.

So how many homegrown players to Citeh have in their squad then??
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36532: Jul 25, 2018 08:59:01 am
      So how many homegrown players to Citeh have in their squad then??

Both your memory AND google not working for you today mate? I'll help you out this time. Although I'm unclear about the purpose of the "then" in your question. I'm guessing since there is no wink, this is not a funny, right?

Kyle Walker, John Stones, Fabian Delph, and Raheem Sterling are the four senior homegrown players they'll use to make their List A. Phil Foden, Brahim Diaz, Lukas Nmecha, and Ari Muric will likely be the only clubgrown/List B players Pep may call upon or add to his bench.

You're welcome.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36533: Jul 25, 2018 09:11:17 am
      Your joking... for Clubs Like Real, Barca that would be considered low money wise, Not saying that Real or Barca would sign him.There are other clubs in Spain that could pay that, and remember life is cheaper out there, so something like 80/80 euros a week would be like getting the 120k a week here

But that's the point. who said that he would be demanding that sort of money...?

So a year down the line D.S. leaves on a free never to play football again because no team will pay him the 120K p.w.  he wants...? Yeah like that will happen

He would have to sign a contract with a new club and agree wages with them (terms), But that should not be our concern

Edit:.. If he wants that kind of money and no one in Europe is willing to play it then Qatar, China, and the States are options that are available to him
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2018 09:21:06 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36534: Jul 25, 2018 09:12:05 am
      Both your memory AND google not working for you today mate? I'll help you out this time. Although I'm unclear about the purpose of the "then" in your question. I'm guessing since there is no wink, this is not a funny, right?

Kyle Walker, John Stones, Fabian Delph, and Raheem Sterling are the four senior homegrown players they'll use to make their List A. Phil Foden, Brahim Diaz, Lukas Nmecha, and Ari Muric will likely be the only clubgrown/List B players Pep may call upon or add to his bench.

You're welcome.

Sorry I was mixing up homegrown with club grown, so is it just a case of having 4 "club grown" players somewhere in the squad even though they'll probably never get any game time or do they actually need to play as well?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36535: Jul 25, 2018 09:16:58 am
      Correct. And Daniel isn't going to take a pay cut for his final year.

But he is looking and acting differently this preseason than before. Not to say he couldn't get injured. He broke down against Bayern Munich last preseason just as he was scoring a good goal, but Klopp apparently sees something different.

You make it sound like he is going to retire after this season...

So what does he do next season...? Hope that no one remembers that he is out of contract and that he can somehow stay at the club drawing his 120k + every week....?
      Kopite78
      Reply #36536: Jul 25, 2018 09:23:08 am
      Your joking... for Clubs Like Real, Barca that would be considered low money wise, Not saying that Real or Barca would sign him.There are other clubs in Spain that could pay that, and remember life is cheaper out there, so something like 80/80 euros a week would be like getting the 120k a week here

But that's the point. who said that he would be demanding that sort of money...?

So a year down the line D.S. leaves on a free never to play football again because no team will pay him the 120K p.w.  he wants...? Yeah like that will happen

He would have to sign a contract with a new club and agree wages with them (terms), But that should not be our concern

You're thinking about it the wrong way

He's guaranteed 6m for the next season here..
      So he takes that and runs it down (probably still backing himself to earn a new deal because he may be settled and enjoy life at the club) next summer if he doesn't then he's a free and there will be demand for him no doubt about it with no fee or wage to match from a buying club.
      He will then be in a position to get a signing fee to cover the short fall in wages as the new club wouldn't have to pay a transfer fee

If he moved this summer hypothetically then his options are small, if he moves next summer then they are far far larger

As for the Spanish clubs... you know how their tv deals etc work over there? The clubs are free to sort them direct themselves and therefore beyond Barca and real (and then a drop off to Atleti) the rest get relative peanuts. For example Valencia have the 4th highest and they pay their players on average 35k a week. Beyond them it's an even bigger drop off

So no he couldn't go to Spain and earn 80 plus.. he would likely be dropping two thirds of his wage now if he left to go there. Add that to the fee we would ask then he wouldn't get a signing fee to balance it

Sturridge won't retire next summer there is no doubt about that and he will be in far far better position to either have had a good season here and earn a new deal or be in a bargaining position on a free to get a deal that suits him

Forget this summer it makes no sense to him
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #36537: Jul 25, 2018 09:40:59 am
      Sorry I was mixing up homegrown with club grown, so is it just a case of having 4 "club grown" players somewhere in the squad even though they'll probably never get any game time or do they actually need to play as well?

They don't need to play. Think of it this way perhaps. For CL you're looking to make up a 21 man squad which includes four homegrown senior players. Man City essentially play the competition with just this. You can also use as many of your U21s as you'd like who have been at your club for 2 or more years (I believe), which is often referred to as List B. For them, Foden and Diaz may feature off the bench, but with the signing of Mahrez (replacing Yaya Toure's registration slot), their featuring is unlikely to increase.

You also have an extra 4 spots for clubgrown players to increase your List A to 25 players. A lot of big clubs don't have (m)any of these. This will be particularly handy when TAA and Gomez become older than 21, meaning we won't have to remove a foreign (or association grown) player from the other 21.

Because when you get a couple injuries in between registration windows, and then back to back PL and CL games, it means we'll be able to rotate our squad better without needing to draw upon real fringe players.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36538: Jul 25, 2018 09:46:14 am
      You're thinking about it the wrong way

He's guaranteed 6m for the next season here..
      So he takes that and runs it down (probably still backing himself to earn a new deal because he may be settled and enjoy life at the club) next summer if he doesn't then he's a free and there will be demand for him no doubt about it with no fee or wage to match from a buying club.
      He will then be in a position to get a signing fee to cover the short fall in wages as the new club wouldn't have to pay a transfer fee

If he moved this summer hypothetically then his options are small, if he moves next summer then they are far far larger

As for the Spanish clubs... you know how their tv deals etc work over there? The clubs are free to sort them direct themselves and therefore beyond Barca and real (and then a drop off to Atleti) the rest get relative peanuts. For example Valencia have the 4th highest and they pay their players on average 35k a week. Beyond them it's an even bigger drop off

So no he couldn't go to Spain and earn 80 plus.. he would likely be dropping two thirds of his wage now if he left to go there. Add that to the fee we would ask then he wouldn't get a signing fee to balance it

Sturridge won't retire next summer there is no doubt about that and he will be in far far better position to either have had a good season here and earn a new deal or be in a bargaining position on a free to get a deal that suits him

Forget this summer it makes no sense to him

Insightful post... You seem to know what you are talking about, so I will bow to your knowledge...
      Thank you...(not sarcasm meant)

Edit... Just wanted that this maybe the right move for DS, But still the wrong move for Liverpool FC... But thank you still
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2018 02:10:43 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36539: Jul 25, 2018 09:58:39 am
      They don't need to play. Think of it this way perhaps. For CL you're looking to make up a 21 man squad which includes four homegrown senior players. Man City essentially play the competition with just this. You can also use as many of your U21s as you'd like who have been at your club for 2 or more years (I believe), which is often referred to as List B. For them, Foden and Diaz may feature off the bench, but with the signing of Mahrez (replacing Yaya Toure's registration slot), their featuring is unlikely to increase.

You also have an extra 4 spots for clubgrown players to increase your List A to 25 players. A lot of big clubs don't have (m)any of these. This will be particularly handy when TAA and Gomez become older than 21, meaning we won't have to remove a foreign (or association grown) player from the other 21.

Because when you get a couple injuries in between registration windows, and then back to back PL and CL games, it means we'll be able to rotate our squad better without needing to draw upon real fringe players.

OK thanks, very interesting
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #36540: Jul 25, 2018 10:44:12 am
      Sturridge should be sold, his body language is awful and he is very selfish, will not help us at all. I'd rather give a chance to Woodburn or sign a young prospect (because Origi and Ings should be sold too).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #36541: Jul 25, 2018 11:18:29 am
      Sturridge should be sold, his body language is awful and he is very selfish, will not help us at all. I'd rather give a chance to Woodburn or sign a young prospect (because Origi and Ings should be sold too).

Imagine a striker being selfish. What’s this world coming to?
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #36542: Jul 25, 2018 11:41:21 am

Any chance you can back up what you have said with an example?

This post sounds like it was written month's ago.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #36543: Jul 25, 2018 02:56:09 pm
      Any chance you can back up what you have said with an example?

This post sounds like it was written month's ago.

But tbf stu have had these episodes where he looks hungry and good again. Then few games passes, his body language gets worse and he gets injured.
      I personally like him, because he is talented when he wants to and when he is fit but it's too far away.
      with origi and iings you get less talented strikers then stu but they play their heart out.

Have to say it's time to let stu go before he gets injured again because it's gonna happen again. Just a matter of time.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36544: Jul 26, 2018 10:39:07 am
      Dortmund will sell Pulisic if they get an offer of £60 million.

We would be INSANE not to bid for him.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #36545: Jul 26, 2018 10:52:47 am
      Dortmund will sell Pulisic if they get an offer of £60 million.

We would be INSANE not to bid for him.

60m? Lots of reports were quoted saying Dortmund would ask for 100m euros.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #36546: Jul 26, 2018 10:53:22 am
      Just read that bayern signed a 17 year old for 13.5 m from a MLS team. Don't know anything about the lad.
      got me curious, how good is MLS? Anybody watches it? Would you say it's as good as primeira liga (portogal). Which is decent imo.
      worse? Like our Norwegian league?
      or is it as good as the big guys. Premier, bunde, Ligue 1 etc?

Quick Reply