Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179832 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36731: Aug 09, 2018 12:27:27 pm
      This window has definitely been our best under FSG ownership (which isn't saying much in truth) but we're still going into the season short yet again.

It seems that klopp was given the choice between a CAM and a GK afterall.

At the end of the day, we sold a 142m player in January and he hasn't been replaced.

Keita and Shaqiri can both fill that void.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36732: Aug 09, 2018 12:34:32 pm
      Keita and Shaqiri can both fill that void.

Posts like this about Keita baffle me. Anyone saying he can play as the 10 I'm convinced have theyve seen him play before. He is not, and never will be, a number 10. He's a number 8 but he's definitely more of a 6 than a 10 if anything too. I've no idea why anyone wants him in the 10 role and we will have to wait and see but I'll be gobsmacked if klopp plays him there.

Shaqiri playing the 10 is just a make do option. It's like saying salah can play there, or Mane, or Bobby.  It's not ideal and it still leaves us unbalanced.

I find it highly unlikely that klopp signed shaqiri to replace coutinho and play as the 10, instead I think he signed him to add depth and to rival the front three for a shirt.

So saying 'he can play there or he can play there' isn't good enough for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36733: Aug 09, 2018 12:37:19 pm
      Have we actually signed anyone on deadline day in the last few years? Can’t remember anyone coming in on deadline day for a long time.

Can see it being a mistake not getting Fekir in, especially if he ends up at the Chavs. But, sure the boss knows what he’s doing. Hope our pre-season form wasn’t just papering over 1 or 2 cracks left to sort.

How can it be a mistake not signing Fekir when he has a dodgy knee which could go on his debut game? We have to assume the Liverpool medical stuff know what they are doing and advised us not to proceed with this signing for a good reason.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36734: Aug 09, 2018 12:39:11 pm

Posts like this about Keita baffle me. Anyone saying he can play as the 10 I'm convinced have theyve seen him play before. He is not, and never will be, a number 10. He's a number 8 but he's definitely more of a 6 than a 10 if anything too. I've no idea why anyone wants him in the 10 role and we will have to wait and see but I'll be gobsmacked if klopp plays him there.

Shaqiri playing the 10 is just a make do option. It's like saying salah can play there, or Mane, or Bobby.  It's not ideal and it still leaves us unbalanced.

I find it highly unlikely that klopp signed shaqiri to replace coutinho and play as the 10, instead I think he signed him to add depth and to rival the front three for a shirt.

There are very few affordable quality number 10's available.

Fekir would have happened only for the deal to collapse at the 11th hour.

Now Klopp has to wait until a alternative quality number 10 is identified.

Until which time we have players to work in a system without an out and out number 10.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36735: Aug 09, 2018 12:40:27 pm
      This window has definitely been our best under FSG ownership (which isn't saying much in truth) but we're still going into the season short yet again.

At the end of the day, we sold a 142m player in January and he hasn't been replaced.

Oh you mean the player that left and then our form improved massively, yes huge loss! I'd rather have a motivated Shaquiri than a moaning treacherous git like Coutinho who went missing in far to many matches anyway.
      I honestly feel like Shaquiri can be more important to us than Coutinho was, assuming his preseason form and motivation carries on into the league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36736: Aug 09, 2018 12:45:20 pm

I don't understand this, what is it Coutinho could do that Shaquiri can't, to me Shaquiri looks like a ready made #10, his pass to Sturridge against Torino was a thing of beauty and rivals any pass Coutinho ever made and he's able to score some spectacular goals as well. I'm not saying that Shaquiri is better than Coutinho but I actually don't think there is that big a difference between them.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36737: Aug 09, 2018 12:49:11 pm

Looking at the way injuries have stacked up the only place I'd be wary of is at CB.
      Wijnaldum and Shakiri will probably fight for the role at the head of midfield.
      Keita, Fabinho, Milner, Henderson - Deeper playing mids.

At some point the club will need to either sign Fekir or Pulisic.
      If Fekir isn't going ahead anymore I reckon we're looking at Pulisic.

Right now this is probably the strongest squad LFC has had in over 10 years.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36738: Aug 09, 2018 12:52:36 pm
      There are very few affordable quality number 10's available.

Fekir would have happened only for the deal to collapse at the 11th hour.

Now Klopp has to wait until a alternative quality number 10 is identified.

Until which time we have players to work in a system without an out and out number 10.

I disagree.

Now if we signed a 10 but we still didn't have a keeper then I would agree with you that there are hardly any top class keepers who are available and who are affordable. We had to act on Alisson and we did.

But in the 10 position I feel there are plenty. Usually in these situations a poster will say 'well tell us one then'. My shout would be Christian Eriksen. We're a bigger club than spurs. He's only on 70k a week. Only has 2 years left on his deal. In my opinion, we're in a better position than them and more of an exciting project. Spurs haven't brought anyone in and it's rumoured they're cash strapped because of the stadium. He's prem proven, at a great age, and I think he would fit right in and be a dream for us.  He plays RAM for Spurs but he's very familiar and comfortable in the 10 role.

So that's my shout. I'm sure you will say he will cost a bomb or they won't sell to us but we don't know until we ask and I highly doubt he will cost more than what coutinho did either. So his fee should be used on a replacement.  The money we've spent on our transfers this summer was already there from years of negative net spends, tv deals and prize money from the CL.

Even if people disagree with me on eriksen. There's still plenty of attacking mids scattered all around Europe. It's not a position that's difficult to sign players in.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36739: Aug 09, 2018 12:54:09 pm
      I don't understand this, what is it Coutinho could do that Shaquiri can't, to me Shaquiri looks like a ready made #10, his pass to Sturridge against Torino was a thing of beauty and rivals any pass Coutinho ever made and he's able to score some spectacular goals as well. I'm not saying that Shaquiri is better than Coutinho but I actually don't think there is that big a difference between them.

Alright mate I'm not being rude but I'm not going to debate with you any further on this.

Anyone who thinks there's minimal difference between coutinho and shaqiri I'm wasting my time with.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36740: Aug 09, 2018 01:01:52 pm
      Oh you mean the player that left and then our form improved massively, yes huge loss! I'd rather have a motivated Shaquiri than a moaning treacherous git like Coutinho who went missing in far to many matches anyway.
      I honestly feel like Shaquiri can be more important to us than Coutinho was, assuming his preseason form and motivation carries on into the league.

When we sold coutinho and didn't bring a replacement in, many of us were worried, including me. I was very worried actually.

'Our form improved massively'. Well we finished fourth, same as the previous year, but with a point less. And we had a great run in the CL but we were gifted by the football gods with the draws apart from the quarter final.

A massive reason why we performed well last season was because of the ox and his incredible form. He took that 10 type role and made it his own. He was excellent.

He's injured now. For the season too. So we're relying on Lallana whos been injured for the year, playing three centre mids who are all similar and none really have a creative bone, or playing shaqiri out of position and making do for the time being. None are ideal.

But I'm not going to exchange in a series of messages mate. You think shaqiri is as good as coutinho. It's pointless.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #36741: Aug 09, 2018 01:04:34 pm

In truth Coutinho rarely played as an out and out 10. For most of his LFC career he played as an inside left in a 4-3-3 and then last season and parts of the previous year he played as one of a midfield 3.

I don't believe Keita is a 10 either BUT he does offer some similar attributes as Coutinho did i.e.

- He is a decent dribbler who will attack space when He sees it
      - he has an excellent eye for a pass, particularly the through ball
      - he moves the ball very quickly, is quick on the turn and comfortable receiving possession in congested areas

Whilst he won't replace Coutinho as a 10 I suspect his presence in a deeper role will afford the team more fluidity and creativity which should dampen the long-term impact of losing a player of Coutinho's unique talents. I think he will play as the furthest forward of the three midfielders for much of the season but obviously he is a versatile player who can sit or be now to box also.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #36742: Aug 09, 2018 01:09:52 pm
      We don’t need to replace Phil. We showed second half of season he wasn’t as important as some made him out to be. Klopp has his eye on certain players and won’t deviate much from that. I have a feeling it was Fekir then (or and) Pulisic and not much else past that at this time. I think we will be ok I’m midfield. I have a feeling Klopp thinks Phillips might provide some CB depth as well which is why he’s happy with what he’s got right now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36743: Aug 09, 2018 01:09:54 pm
      In truth Coutinho rarely played as an out and out 10. For most of his LFC career he played as an inside left in a 4-3-3 and then last season and parts of the previous year he played as one of a midfield 3.

You are right, actually the more I think about it, how often have we played a 10 when Firmino is in the team? Do we actually need a playmaking 10 when we have Firmino dropping deep and occupying those same areas that a playmaking 10 would?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #36744: Aug 09, 2018 01:13:30 pm
      You are right, actually the more I think about it, how often have we played a 10 when Firmino is in the team? Do we actually need a playmaking 10 when we have Firmino dropping deep and occupying those same areas that a playmaking 10 would?

Not necessarily no.

Also isn’t that Adam Lallana’s traditional position (when he was at Soton)? If he’s healthy he can operate there quite nicely considering who he would have in front of him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36745: Aug 09, 2018 01:18:41 pm
      People need to re-watch the sky sports video of Klopp explaining his (basic) tactics, and focus on how dismissive he is of set  numbers and positions.

"Yeah, if you want to call it a 10, or whatever"
      He doesn't think that way, or have his players set up rigidly.

In fact, many times, Firmino is occupying the space a "traditional" 10 would sit.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36746: Aug 09, 2018 01:20:45 pm

I don't believe Keita is a 10 either BUT he does offer some similar attributes as Coutinho did i.e.

- He is a decent dribbler who will attack space when He sees it
      - he has an excellent eye for a pass, particularly the through ball
      - he moves the ball very quickly, is quick on the turn and comfortable receiving possession in congested areas

Whilst he won't replace Coutinho as a 10 I suspect his presence in a deeper role will afford the team more fluidity and creativity which should dampen the long-term impact of losing a player of Coutinho's unique talents. I think he will play as the furthest forward of the three midfielders for much of the season but obviously he is a versatile player who can sit or be now to box also.

Coutinho played on the left with Rodgers and was wasted.

Under klopp he has played more central. Even played as the 8 on some occasions with Lallana infront of him as the 10.

We then had the Fab Four and coutinho obviously would have played much more in the 10 for us then. If coutinho had stayed then that front four would have been brutal and I'd go as far as saying we would have been unstoppable with the additions of VVD, Alisson and Keita too. Good luck to anyone playing that team. And that's how close we are. We're extremely close and fekir would have been massive for us.

He has been compared to kante several times already but it's a good comparison. Keita is very much like him but he's better on the ball. He charges forward with the ball more than kante does and you're right he does have a decent pass on him, he can hit them as well, he's boss.

But he doesn't have that magic or that type of creativity i associate with a number 10. Keita is very aggressive and direct, he's all about power, pace, energy etc.

If we're 70 minutes into a game and it's a 0-0 and we're struggling to break down some shithouse team then I won't be expecting Keita to come up with a defence splitting pass to win the game. He's not that type of player.  That's when you need a coutinho or a fekir, somebody with that bit of magic. And that's what were lacking or what were short on.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36747: Aug 09, 2018 01:22:09 pm
      Coutinho played on the left with Rodgers and was wasted.

Under klopp he has played more central. Even played as the 8 on some occasions with Lallana infront of him as the 10.

We then had the Fab Four and coutinho obviously would have played much more in the 10 for us then. If coutinho had stayed then that front four would have been brutal and I'd go as far as saying we would have been unstoppable with the additions of VVD, Alisson and Keita too. Good luck to anyone playing that team. And that's how close we are. We're extremely close and fekir would have been massive for us.

He has been compared to kante several times already but it's a good comparison. Keita is very much like him but he's better on the ball. He charges forward with the ball more than kante does and you're right he does have a decent pass on him, he can hit them as well, he's boss.

But he doesn't have that magic or that type of creativity i associate with a number 10. Keita is very aggressive and direct, he's all about power, pace, energy etc.

If we're 70 minutes into a game and it's a 0-0 and we're struggling to break down some shithouse team then I won't be expecting Keita to come up with a defence splitting pass to win the game. He's not that type of player.  That's when you need a coutinho or a fekir, somebody with that bit of magic. And that's what were lacking or what were short on.

Coutinho started on the left under Klopp but drifted inside.
      His defensive duties were on the left.
      We also have Shaqiri for the so called "magic".
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36748: Aug 09, 2018 01:32:00 pm
      Coutinho started on the left under Klopp but drifted inside.
      His defensive duties were on the left.
      We also have Shaqiri for the so called "magic".

Not always.

Lallana has also played on the left under both Brendan and klopp. Doesn't mean that's his position.

Coutinhos best performances for us always came from central positions and if we kept the Fab Four coutinho would have been played in the middle with salah and Mane occupying the wide positions. That's a scary attack.

Shaqiri is not a number 10. He won't play as part of the midfield. And he is nowhere near the magician coutinho is.

These people saying shaqiri is as good as coutinho for fucks sake right, would you have been happy with a swap deal with Stoke then? No you F***ing wouldn't. So let's just stop talking absolute sh*te shall we.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36749: Aug 09, 2018 01:36:56 pm
      Not always.

Lallana has also played on the left under both Brendan and klopp. Doesn't mean that's his position.

Coutinhos best performances for us always came from central positions and if we kept the Fab Four coutinho would have been played in the middle with salah and Mane occupying the wide positions. That's a scary attack.

Shaqiri is not a number 10. He won't play as part of the midfield. And he is nowhere near the magician coutinho is.

These people saying shaqiri is as good as coutinho for fucks sake right, would you have been happy with a swap deal with Stoke then? No you F***ing wouldn't. So let's just stop talking absolute sh*te shall we.

"Started on the left, and drifted inside" is what I said.
      Perhaps reading what is written might help?

Shaqiri can unlock defenses, end of story.

Ox is also "not a number 10" and yet played the advanced role in a midfield 3.

Maybe if you listen to what Klopp has said numerous times in the past, you can get past this idea you have of rigid positions and systems.
      We don't play that way.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36750: Aug 09, 2018 01:40:18 pm
      When we sold coutinho and didn't bring a replacement in, many of us were worried, including me. I was very worried actually.

'Our form improved massively'. Well we finished fourth, same as the previous year, but with a point less. And we had a great run in the CL but we were gifted by the football gods with the draws apart from the quarter final.

A massive reason why we performed well last season was because of the ox and his incredible form. He took that 10 type role and made it his own. He was excellent.

He's injured now. For the season too. So we're relying on Lallana whos been injured for the year, playing three centre mids who are all similar and none really have a creative bone, or playing shaqiri out of position and making do for the time being. None are ideal.

But I'm not going to exchange in a series of messages mate. You think shaqiri is as good as coutinho. It's pointless.

Yes it is pointless debating someone as blinkered and negative in their thinking as you are. You clearly hate the majority of our team, tell me is it a struggle getting up in the mornings?

The main reason we played better in the second half of the season was the solidity that VVD provided, but perhaps he doesn't make the grade for you either. Te other reason is that we longer had to shoehorn Coutinho into the team

For the record I think Coutinho was a luxury player for us, especially under Jürgen, he seemed very much like a square twatish peg which we tried to fit into a round hole. When Coutinho played well he was fantastic but very often he was anonymous in games, especially in games against bus parkers.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36751: Aug 09, 2018 01:43:22 pm
      "Started on the left, and drifted inside" is what I said.
      Perhaps reading what is written might help?

Shaqiri can unlock defenses, end of story.

Ox is also "not a number 10" and yet played the advanced role in a midfield 3.

Maybe if you listen to what Klopp has said numerous times in the past, you can get past this idea you have of rigid positions and systems.
      We don't play that way.

What are you talking about?

Just because we have players who interchange and don't have fixed positions as such, it doesn't mean that we don't line up a certain way and players have certain roles. Of course we do.

So can salah. He's not a 10 either. So can mane. Neither is he. Shaqiri is not a 10 END OF STORY.

Ox is far more suited to play in the midfield than shaqiri ever will be.

End of the day right, if we had coutinho in our squad now instead of shaqiri then I'd be tipping us for the league right now. That's the difference.

At the moment I'm saying we will fall short. We will fall short because we don't have enough creativity from the middle. I'm not happy with our cb options either but if we had coutinho sitting infront of Keita then I'd still be confident.

Playing shaqiri in the midfield then I'm nowhere near as confident.

It's irrelevant anyway. It's clear we're not signing anybody today. So let's just wait and see how we get on.

I think we're short and we don't have enough. You don't. And you think shaqiri can play as the 10 and we don't need one. It's sound. We'll see then.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36752: Aug 09, 2018 01:46:20 pm
      Not always.

These people saying shaqiri is as good as coutinho for fucks sake right, would you have been happy with a swap deal with Stoke then? No you f**king wouldn't. So let's just stop talking absolute sh*te shall we.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did we not have Mane, Bobby, Salah, AND Coutinho for half a season (well when Phil could be bothered to play that is), can't remember it being much more potent or scary than we were in the second half, without Coutinho, but selective memory is a wonderful thing isn't it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36753: Aug 09, 2018 01:46:45 pm
      What are you talking about?

Just because we have players who interchange and don't have fixed positions as such, it doesn't mean that we don't line up a certain way and players have certain roles. Of course we do.

So can salah. He's not a 10 either. So can mane. Neither is he. Shaqiri is not a 10 END OF STORY.

Ox is far more suited to play in the midfield than shaqiri ever will be.

End of the day right, if we had coutinho in our squad now instead of shaqiri then I'd be tipping us for the league right now. That's the difference.

At the moment I'm saying we will fall short. We will fall short because we don't have enough creativity from the middle. I'm not happy with our cb options either but if we had coutinho sitting infront of Keita then I'd still be confident.

Playing shaqiri in the midfield then I'm nowhere near as confident.

It's irrelevant anyway. It's clear we're not signing anybody today. So let's just wait and see how we get on.

I think we're short and we don't have enough. You don't. And you think shaqiri can play as the 10 and we don't need one. It's sound. We'll see then.

Like I said, watch the sky sports video of Klopp explaining the basics of his system.

I think we're short and we don't have enough. You don't. And you think shaqiri can play as the 10 and we don't need one.
      At no point have I said any of this, so F**k off making sh*t up.

Quick Reply