Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179443 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36777: Aug 09, 2018 04:13:09 pm

;D, solid contribution as always, tulling!

How about pinpointing the areas you see as weakness, or did you not make it past the first sentence where I questioned the wisdom of piling on to much debt.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36778: Aug 09, 2018 04:18:49 pm
      Transfer deadline day in England has become a bit of a dud, hasn't it? My highlight is Godin playing Man United like a drum.

I guess our business with outgoing will still go by the aug 31 date, to Euro clubs.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36779: Aug 09, 2018 04:38:33 pm
      I think of it this way; we have start positions, and positions for defending set pieces, that's pretty much as far as our rigidity goes.

Now, after that, we have defensive shape, transition shape, attacking shape, pressing and counter pressing shape etc
      The players can take up various positions within that shape, but when we reset, they will revert back to starting positions either straight away or when play allows, but the key is maintaining shape rather than have players stick to their zone.

I get that, and pretty much how a lot of teams play (from what I seen last few seasons), from Napoli, Juventus, Real, Barca, City etc. But only difference is, we are usually utilizing more of our players when pressing/counter pressing and attacking.

Salah doesn't start the match 15 yards ahead of Firminho.
      Henderson doesn't start the match between the 2 CB, and the FB don't start the match level with the AM.

Take Henderson as another example; by any measure, in a fixed system we would say he spends most of his time in a sweeper position, as the CB's split to provide wider cover because the FB's have pushed up, he drops between them, but is he a sweeper?

Ok, by fixed position, I meant more of the role played.  #6 for example, whether dropping between the CB's or playing further up and keeping the play ticking whilst being the main defensive cover etc. But that doesn't mean the 6 is rooted only to that, I get we will see him join up in attack or press if necessary.

I watched the interview again last night, Klopp doesn't hold with traditional roles, rather the player who finds himself in that space fulfills the role.
      Watch it again, you'll see what I mean.

Okay, I think I get how you are interrupting what Klopp said. You don't see players in fixed/traditional roles where they only play to their roles set, but rather, they are fluid because they have more freedom to venture off, whether pressing/counter pressing or moving into or attacking space when opportunity arises rather than players can play anywhere they want in the area they are playing in?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36780: Aug 09, 2018 04:46:48 pm
      I disagree.

Now if we signed a 10 but we still didn't have a keeper then I would agree with you that there are hardly any top class keepers who are available and who are affordable. We had to act on Alisson and we did.

But in the 10 position I feel there are plenty. Usually in these situations a poster will say 'well tell us one then'. My shout would be Christian Eriksen. We're a bigger club than spurs. He's only on 70k a week. Only has 2 years left on his deal. In my opinion, we're in a better position than them and more of an exciting project. Spurs haven't brought anyone in and it's rumoured they're cash strapped because of the stadium. He's prem proven, at a great age, and I think he would fit right in and be a dream for us.  He plays RAM for Spurs but he's very familiar and comfortable in the 10 role.

So that's my shout. I'm sure you will say he will cost a bomb or they won't sell to us but we don't know until we ask and I highly doubt he will cost more than what coutinho did either. So his fee should be used on a replacement.  The money we've spent on our transfers this summer was already there from years of negative net spends, tv deals and prize money from the CL.

Even if people disagree with me on eriksen. There's still plenty of attacking mids scattered all around Europe. It's not a position that's difficult to sign players in.

Eriksen?

Yea let's go after Spurs second most prized asset he'll only cost us upwards of 100 million especially since Levy is such an easy negotiator.

Actually while we're at it let's bid for Hazard as well say £250 mill should seal the deal sure he wants out of Chelsea anyway and he hardly wants Real over us?

Sorry mate I prefer to discuss realistic targets. 

And I disagree that "it's not a position that's difficult to sign players in".

If it's so easy to find quality number 10s why was Coutinho the 3rd most expensive player of all time?
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2018 04:51:28 pm by bazspeedman »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #36781: Aug 09, 2018 05:42:24 pm
      How can it be a mistake not signing Fekir when he has a dodgy knee which could go on his debut game? We have to assume the Liverpool medical stuff know what they are doing and advised us not to proceed with this signing for a good reason.

Sorry to disappoint but that can happen to any player on their first game.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #36782: Aug 09, 2018 05:49:42 pm
      ;D, solid contribution as always, tulling!

How about pinpointing the areas you see as weakness, or did you not make it past the first sentence where I questioned the wisdom of piling on to much debt.

I wrote a long post in reply, then I deleted it. You know why? Because it's like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon probably would jump on the chess board and shitt on the chess board then walk around like it won. You are that pigeon, I can't be bothered by teaching you anything. You can go around and think you just won a point on a internet forum.

You know why people give pluss to the posts that insult you. It's because you talk so much shitt and majority of people don't bother to reply. The funny thing is that you see that as a victory.

I have been here along time, and I tend to read more then I write because I like to read different opinions. Some opinions I agree with and some I don't.
      but yours are just strange, they don't make any sense. You are more into what owners are doing then the football itself. Now please f**k off and stop quoting me and put me on ignore list. Because you are on mine, tulling!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #36783: Aug 09, 2018 06:02:08 pm
      Not signing Fekir might be a blessing in disguise.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36784: Aug 09, 2018 06:05:00 pm
      I get that, and pretty much how a lot of teams play (from what I seen last few seasons), from Napoli, Juventus, Real, Barca, City etc. But only difference is, we are usually utilizing more of our players when pressing/counter pressing and attacking.

Ok, by fixed position, I meant more of the role played.  #6 for example, whether dropping between the CB's or playing further up and keeping the play ticking whilst being the main defensive cover etc. But that doesn't mean the 6 is rooted only to that, I get we will see him join up in attack or press if necessary.

Okay, I think I get how you are interrupting what Klopp said. You don't see players in fixed/traditional roles where they only play to their roles set, but rather, they are fluid because they have more freedom to venture off, whether pressing/counter pressing or moving into or attacking space when opportunity arises rather than players can play anywhere they want in the area they are playing in?

I think of it as Klopp's version of Total Football, except that the shape is of great importance in tactics, and funneling the opposition where Klopp wants them to go.
      Rarely will you see flat banks of players, instead they are staggered and/or on a slight diagonal, to push the opposition to where we want them to be.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #36785: Aug 09, 2018 06:49:38 pm
      Just hope European clubs can take Origi, Mignolet off our hands haven't got the money some expected not surprised really
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #36786: Aug 09, 2018 07:39:15 pm
      Not signing Fekir might be a blessing in disguise.

In what way?

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #36787: Aug 09, 2018 08:36:13 pm

We are more balanced with Hendo-Keita-Fabinho in my opinion.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36788: Aug 10, 2018 02:35:17 am
      Eriksen?

Yea let's go after Spurs second most prized asset he'll only cost us upwards of 100 million especially since Levy is such an easy negotiator.

Actually while we're at it let's bid for Hazard as well say £250 mill should seal the deal sure he wants out of Chelsea anyway and he hardly wants Real over us?

Sorry mate I prefer to discuss realistic targets. 

And I disagree that "it's not a position that's difficult to sign players in".

If it's so easy to find quality number 10s why was Coutinho the 3rd most expensive player of all time?

So we get 140 for coutinho and in your opinion eriksen is worth 100m so what's the problem?  We get a boss replacement and a spare 40m. What's the issue?

No idea why you randomly brought hazard into it either? Bizarre. And I've no idea what your last point means or why you've asked that question about coutinho?

Coutinho cost 140m because he had just signed a five year deal so we had a lot security, he was our best player, the transfer occurred in January when it's a very difficult time to replace a player and especially one of his calibre, he's one of the best players in the world, a Brazilian international and the buying club was Barcelona.  That's why. Pretty basic stuff to be honest didn't think I'd have to explain something like that on a Liverpool forum.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36789: Aug 10, 2018 08:46:54 am
      I wrote a long post in reply, then I deleted it. You know why? Because it's like playing chess with a pigeon. The pigeon probably would jump on the chess board and shitt on the chess board then walk around like it won. You are that pigeon, I can't be bothered by teaching you anything. You can go around and think you just won a point on a internet forum.

You know why people give pluss to the posts that insult you. It's because you talk so much shitt and majority of people don't bother to reply. The funny thing is that you see that as a victory.

I have been here along time, and I tend to read more then I write because I like to read different opinions. Some opinions I agree with and some I don't.
      but yours are just strange, they don't make any sense. You are more into what owners are doing then the football itself. Now please f**k off and stop quoting me and put me on ignore list. Because you are on mine, tulling!

"Now please F**k off", ;D I think that might be textbook passive aggressive. I'd love to know what is so strange about my posts though, I was simply asking you to pinpoint where you thought we had weaknesses in the squad and also commenting that I don't think its wise to pile debt onto the club, genuinely curious what is strange about that from your viewpoint?

Instead you type out a reply, probably realise you don't have a good counter argument and then change it to say "Nevermind", now that is a bit strange.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36790: Aug 10, 2018 08:53:21 am
      So we get 140 for coutinho and in your opinion eriksen is worth 100m so what's the problem?  We get a boss replacement and a spare 40m. What's the issue?

No idea why you randomly brought hazard into it either? Bizarre. And I've no idea what your last point means or why you've asked that question about coutinho?

Coutinho cost 140m because he had just signed a five year deal so we had a lot security, he was our best player, the transfer occurred in January when it's a very difficult time to replace a player and especially one of his calibre, he's one of the best players in the world, a Brazilian international and the buying club was Barcelona.  That's why. Pretty basic stuff to be honest didn't think I'd have to explain something like that on a Liverpool forum.

So are you saying then that instead of getting VVD, Alisson, Keita, Fabinho and Shaquiri we should have spent the bulk of the money we got for Coutinho on a player position which we clearly don't really need and then scrambled around to fill the other areas with lower quality/cheaper players?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36791: Aug 10, 2018 09:17:29 am

I obviously brought Hazard into the equation as he is one of the very few elite number 10s in world football i.e. a legitimate Coutinho replacement.

Do you actually understand your own arguments?

And if you think spending over £100 million on Eriksen (which is what he would have cost us) over strengthening the squad as a whole then you are bonkers.

We've had a great window strengthening the squad significantly without needing to replace Coutinho with an equally expensive number 10.

Let's be happy about this.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36792: Aug 10, 2018 10:29:21 am
      I obviously brought Hazard into the equation as he is one of the very few elite number 10s in world football i.e. a legitimate Coutinho replacement.

Do you actually understand your own arguments?

And if you think spending over £100 million on Eriksen (which is what he would have cost us) over strengthening the squad as a whole then you are bonkers.

We've had a great window strengthening the squad significantly without needing to replace Coutinho with an equally expensive number 10.

Let's be happy about this.

I understand my arguments perfectly fine, obviously. Do you understand yours?

You're looking a bit daft here because you were saying Keita was a 10 yesterday and now you're saying hazard is. Then you ask me if I understand :lmao:.  Do you actually watch football mate? Neither of them are 10s.

Hazard is not a number 10, doesn't play in the middle, and doesn't play in the midfield. We need somebody who can play as part of the midfield 3 but be the creative one from central positions. That's why we were signing fekir. Now I'll ask you again. Do you understand that??

Hazard would be in the same discussion as Salah or Mane so bringing him into the mix was just random and pretty stupid. So we will move on from there.

Ahh now we're getting somewhere. So in your opinion then we were on a budget and we used the coutinho money to strengthen 2 or 3 positions rather than go out and buy a like for like replacement? Interesting.

I find it interesting because heimdall for example, the little weasel who I suspect is liking your posts, he tells us that the money is irrelevant and that our owners will back the manager regardless.

In fact, several posters on here repeatedly state 'if we don't spend money or sign anybody else then that is Jürgen klopps decision, not the owners'. But you think otherwise? Good. Me too.

What annoys me though is, it shouldn't be a case of do we sign an expensive like for like number 10 for coutinho, or do we divide the money and bring in a keeper, a 6 and an 8.  It should be all four if we want. We've had years of negative net spends (what was klopps net before this summer?), we've got the tv deal money, we've got the prize money from getting to the final of the CL, and we've secured it again for this season. The money should be there.

If you think spending 100m (figure is just randomly made up by you) on eriksen is poor business that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion and i understand it.  I was using him as an example anyway.

But what I do know is, if we had Christian eriksen in our team going into this season we would be much, much stronger and as equally important, Spurs who are one of our rivals would be much, much weaker too.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2018 10:33:56 am by HamannsTheMan »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36793: Aug 10, 2018 10:48:40 am
      So are you saying then that instead of getting VVD, Alisson, Keita, Fabinho and Shaquiri we should have spent the bulk of the money we got for Coutinho on a player position which we clearly don't really need and then scrambled around to fill the other areas with lower quality/cheaper players?

Hang on. Do not contradict yourself.

You told us last week the coutinho money wasn't used to sign the players you mentioned.

You repeatedly tell us the owners will back the manager.

I'm not saying that at all. But why don't we all be honest now and admit that the owners don't actually back our manager and he is working under restraints?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36794: Aug 10, 2018 11:56:22 am

You're looking a bit daft here because you were saying Keita was a 10 yesterday and now you're saying hazard is. Then you ask me if I understand :lmao:.  Do you actually watch football mate? Neither of them are 10s.

Hazard is not a number 10, doesn't play in the middle, and doesn't play in the midfield. We need somebody who can play as part of the midfield 3 but be the creative one from central positions. That's why we were signing fekir. Now I'll ask you again. Do you understand that??

Hazard would be in the same discussion as Salah or Mane so bringing him into the mix was just random and pretty stupid. So we will move on from there.

Ahh now we're getting somewhere. So in your opinion then we were on a budget and we used the coutinho money to strengthen 2 or 3 positions rather than go out and buy a like for like replacement? Interesting.

I find it interesting because heimdall for example, the little weasel who I suspect is liking your posts, he tells us that the money is irrelevant and that our owners will back the manager regardless.

In fact, several posters on here repeatedly state 'if we don't spend money or sign anybody else then that is Jürgen klopps decision, not the owners'. But you think otherwise? Good. Me too.

What annoys me though is, it shouldn't be a case of do we sign an expensive like for like number 10 for coutinho, or do we divide the money and bring in a keeper, a 6 and an 8.  It should be all four if we want. We've had years of negative net spends (what was klopps net before this summer?), we've got the tv deal money, we've got the prize money from getting to the final of the CL, and we've secured it again for this season. The money should be there.

If you think spending 100m (figure is just randomly made up by you) on eriksen is poor business that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion and i understand it.  I was using him as an example anyway.

But what I do know is, if we had Christian eriksen in our team going into this season we would be much, much stronger and as equally important, Spurs who are one of our rivals would be much, much weaker too.

Out of interest how much money do you think are in the coffers available for transfers, is it some infinite amount on a par with PSG and Citeh, because I'm sorry to disappoint you it really really isn't. We've just spent about £110m net in January and summer transfer windows, that is a considerable investment so no there wasn't an extra £100m available for a position that is NOT even critical.

BTW stop with the childish insults, you  do occasionally make some reasonable arguments in your posts but it gets lost if you act like a child and hurl insults.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36795: Aug 10, 2018 12:38:21 pm
      Out of interest how much money do you think are in the coffers available for transfers, is it some infinite amount on a par with PSG and Citeh, because I'm sorry to disappoint you it really really isn't. We've just spent about £110m net in January and summer transfer windows, that is a considerable investment so no there wasn't an extra £100m available for a position that is NOT even critical.

BTW stop with the childish insults, you  do occasionally make some reasonable arguments in your posts but it gets lost if you act like a child and hurl insults.

Can you be clear with your posts.

Last week you said the owners back the manager. Now you're suggesting we have no money. Which one is it?

That's net spend this year. What about the previous two? What about Brendan's and Kennys? In their 8 years what actually is their net spend? And then why don't you tell me what the club has earned during that time? So why don't you tell me THEN that there's no money in the pot? I know there is. It's you who obviously has no idea so why don't YOU do some research.

You're a walking contradiction.

Oh. And if it's not a position we need a player in why was klopp desperate to sign fekir? It's quite obvious we have little creativeness in the middle of the park and it could bite us next season. Just because heimdall on lfcreds disagrees doesn't mean it's not true.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36796: Aug 10, 2018 12:43:59 pm

Oh wow are you actually serious???

So you're saying Coutinho played as a central attacking midfielder for us in his last three seasons and not on the left?

And you're saying Hazard hasn't played as a central attacking midfielder for Chelsea the last two seasons?

Wow you are clueless.

This argument is over.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36797: Aug 10, 2018 01:03:21 pm
      Oh wow are you actually serious???

So you're saying Coutinho played as a central attacking midfielder for us in his last three seasons and not on the left?

And you're saying Hazard hasn't played as a central attacking midfielder for Chelsea the last two seasons?

Wow you are clueless.

This argument is over.

I've already said coutinho was wasted on the left at times for us.

He played in the middle plenty of times with klopp. Certainly did when we had a full strength team and then he was used on the left occasionally when we had injuries etc. When salah, Mane and Bobby were fit, where was Coutinho? On the bench?

Klopp quite clearly had a long term plan of playing coutinho behind our front three in the middle. Are you suggesting otherwise? Are you telling me coutinho would have been on the bench and that we would have carried on playing Hendo Milner and gini as the three then?

Why did klopp want fekir this summer? To sit on the bench too?

And I've no idea what you're on about lad. Hazard, for 95% of his career has played as part of the front three on the left. He has, very rarely, played in the 10 (usually when tactics change during the game) but it's been more of a second striker rather than an actual '10'.

We need somebody to play in the midfield three but be the more advanced and support our attack. Hazard does not, and never has done, that role before.

But yeah. I'm clueless. Good one mate  :lmao:

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36798: Aug 10, 2018 01:30:10 pm
      I've already said coutinho was wasted on the left at times for us.

He played in the middle plenty of times with klopp. Certainly did when we had a full strength team and then he was used on the left occasionally when we had injuries etc. When salah, Mane and Bobby were fit, where was Coutinho? On the bench?

Klopp quite clearly had a long term plan of playing coutinho behind our front three in the middle. Are you suggesting otherwise? Are you telling me coutinho would have been on the bench and that we would have carried on playing Hendo Milner and gini as the three then?

Why did klopp want fekir this summer? To sit on the bench too?

And I've no idea what you're on about lad. Hazard, for 95% of his career has played as part of the front three on the left. He has, very rarely, played in the 10 (usually when tactics change during the game) but it's been more of a second striker rather than an actual '10'.

We need somebody to play in the midfield three but be the more advanced and support our attack. Hazard does not, and never has done, that role before.

But yeah. I'm clueless. Good one mate  :lmao:

In the last two season Coutinho played twice as much on the left and Hazard twice as much centrally. They are both attacking creative midfielders who can interchange positions hence they are comparable which was my point to begin with.

Fekir is also a versatile AM who can play centrally or on the right. Klopp wants versatile players who can interchange positions, not rigid. Hence we have signed Shaqiri and I expect Lallana to play the role this season also.

I wouldn't get so fixated on us signing a dedicated number 10 as Klopps system is fluid so it's not a necessity.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36799: Aug 10, 2018 01:38:13 pm
      Can you be clear with your posts.

Last week you said the owners back the manager. Now you're suggesting we have no money. Which one is it?

That's net spend this year. What about the previous two? What about Brendan's and Kennys? In their 8 years what actually is their net spend? And then why don't you tell me what the club has earned during that time? So why don't you tell me THEN that there's no money in the pot? I know there is. It's you who obviously has no idea so why don't YOU do some research.

You're a walking contradiction.

Oh. And if it's not a position we need a player in why was klopp desperate to sign fekir? It's quite obvious we have little creativeness in the middle of the park and it could bite us next season. Just because heimdall on lfcreds disagrees doesn't mean it's not true.

Oh dear, I praise your posts and then they descend into farce.

Yes the owners have backed Klopp, no they don't have infinite amounts of money to give him, is that clear enough for you?

I believe the net spend from FSG averaged over 8 years before this summer was about £20m per year, which I agree is not much, but it seems they have finally realised that and started to invest now, as evidenced by the fact that we have spent £100m NET in the last 2 windows.

Not sure where you see the contradiction, I think its more a case of you not being to follow your arguments along a logical path.

IF Klopp was so desperate to sign Fekir and IF there is an abundance of #10's available in the market, according to you, then it does seem very odd that he didn't go for another target, don't you think.

Quick Reply