Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179046 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #36800: Aug 10, 2018 01:47:41 pm
      In the last two season Coutinho played twice as much on the left and Hazard twice as much centrally. They are both attacking creative midfielders who can interchange positions hence they are comparable which was my point to begin with.

Fekir is also a versatile AM who can play centrally or on the right. Klopp wants versatile players who can interchange positions, not rigid. Hence we have signed Shaqiri and I expect Lallana to play the role this season also.

I wouldn't get so fixated on us signing a dedicated number 10 as Klopps system is fluid so it's not a necessity.

I don't think you understand the type of player we're lacking and the type of player klopp wanted/needs. Your posts suggest you don't.

Hazard makes no sense. We've got Mane, Salah and Shaqiri. I've no idea why you've brought him into the discussion. He is not the type of player we need or what we're short on.

I asked you and you ignored me. When the Fab Four would play, where would coutinho be? I'm not denying he was used on the left on some occasions. But when we had a full strength side out, where would coutinho be?

Likewise, klopp wanted to sign fekir. So same question. If we had a full strength side out, where do you think fekir was going to play?

We are lacking that player who can play as part of the midfield three but be the top of the triangle. We have Lallana, and personally I rate Lallana, but his injury problems are a big concern.

Yes you're right. Versatile is key to how we play. We all interchange. Its great. But we still sign specific players who play in specific roles who have specific talents. If we didn't, why don't we just play James Milner in the 10 then who's the most versatile player we have?

So actually, it is important that we sign a 'number 10'.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36801: Aug 10, 2018 01:49:52 pm
      Oh dear, I praise your posts and then they descend into farce.

Yes the owners have backed Klopp, no they don't have infinite amounts of money to give him, is that clear enough for you?

I believe the net spend from FSG averaged over 8 years before this summer was about £20m per year, which I agree is not much, but it seems they have finally realised that and started to invest now, as evidenced by the fact that we have spent £100m NET in the last 2 windows.

Not sure where you see the contradiction, I think its more a case of you not being to follow your arguments along a logical path.

IF Klopp was so desperate to sign Fekir and IF there is an abundance of #10's available in the market, according to you, then it does seem very odd that he didn't go for another target, don't you think.

Can't be arsed replying to your post other than the final paragraph and yes it is very odd. Something I've been saying for weeks on here.

It's very odd he was that desperate for a CAM he was prepared to spend 50m on one but according to you it's a position we don't even need. Very odd indeed.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36802: Aug 10, 2018 01:57:02 pm
      I don't think you understand the type of player we're lacking and the type of player klopp wanted/needs. Your posts suggest you don't.

Hazard makes no sense. We've got Mane, Salah and Shaqiri. I've no idea why you've brought him into the discussion. He is not the type of player we need or what we're short on.

I asked you and you ignored me. When the Fab Four would play, where would coutinho be? I'm not denying he was used on the left on some occasions. But when we had a full strength side out, where would coutinho be?

Likewise, klopp wanted to sign fekir. So same question. If we had a full strength side out, where do you think fekir was going to play?

We are lacking that player who can play as part of the midfield three but be the top of the triangle. We have Lallana, and personally I rate Lallana, but his injury problems are a big concern.

Yes you're right. Versatile is key to how we play. We all interchange. Its great. But we still sign specific players who play in specific roles who have specific talents. If we didn't, why don't we just play James Milner in the 10 then who's the most versatile player we have?

How about an alternative to a playmaker? A player in the mould of Lampard? Surely with the players we have in Salah, Mane, Shaqiri, Firmino, Keita and our full backs, that Lampard type of player would be capable of reaching double figures?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #36803: Aug 10, 2018 02:11:20 pm
      Replacement for Coutinho isn't a priority. Coutinho was effective in some situations but it's better to have an all rounded midfielder in most games. Somebody with a mix of attacking and defending. Coutinho lacks a defensive game to be a reasonable attacking player. He scores spectacular goals but doesn't do enough overall.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36804: Aug 10, 2018 02:23:24 pm
      How about an alternative to a playmaker? A player in the mould of Lampard? Surely with the players we have in Salah, Mane, Shaqiri, Firmino, Keita and our full backs, that Lampard type of player would be capable of reaching double figures?

Tough to say. Would Fabinho, Keita and lampard have the right balance? I'm not so sure.

Lampards strength was getting into the box and hanging around the edge for example. Keita can do that as the 8.

For me, a midfield three of Fabinho Keita and fekir would have much more balance and we would be a much stronger side. You may disagree?

We all know how explosive we are and how good our attack is but we will at some point come up against stubborn sides who are keeping us out. That's when you need somebody on the ball who's got bags of quality. Somebody like kdb or silva who played in the middle for city last season and why they unlock teams with relative ease.

That's something we're missing. Lampard, as good as he was, wasn't that kind of player. So I think it's important we get a playmaker in personally.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36805: Aug 10, 2018 02:24:14 pm
      Replacement for Coutinho isn't a priority. Coutinho was effective in some situations but it's better to have an all rounded midfielder in most games. Somebody with a mix of attacking and defending. Coutinho lacks a defensive game to be a reasonable attacking player. He scores spectacular goals but doesn't do enough overall.

I always thought coutinhos defensive side was very under rated.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36806: Aug 10, 2018 02:47:00 pm
      Can't be arsed replying to your post other than the final paragraph and yes it is very odd. Something I've been saying for weeks on here.

It's very odd he was that desperate for a CAM he was prepared to spend 50m on one but according to you it's a position we don't even need. Very odd indeed.

SO what is your take on it then, apparently there are loads of #10's out there, at least you say that there is despite only giving us one name, Erikson, yet Klopp was only interested in Fekir, please explain how you see that, also please explain how we were better, scoring more goals without Coutinho than with him?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36807: Aug 10, 2018 02:47:42 pm
      We all know how explosive we are and how good our attack is but we will at some point come up against stubborn sides who are keeping us out. That's when you need somebody on the ball who's got bags of quality. Somebody like kdb or silva who played in the middle for city last season and why they unlock teams with relative ease.

If we play a double pivot of Fabinho and Keita, I can see Keita being that player. As you know, he is more creative and assertive when deeper, but what he is best at is driving with the ball and breaking through the lines and sucking oppositions towards him which leaves a lot of room for that 3rd midfielder to exploit.

I can see a Lampard type player working, and I wonder if Wijnaldum can be that player?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e0qqihnjA

For me, a midfield three of Fabinho Keita and fekir would have much more balance and we would be a much stronger side. You may disagree?

I don't disagree that a playmaker would work, but with Keita and Fabinho so dominate on the ball, I just feel there would be just as much balance with that Lampard type midfield player.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36808: Aug 10, 2018 03:04:12 pm

I always thought coutinhos defensive side was very under rated.

Coutinho was garbage defensively.

In fact I can't remember him ever making a successful tackle in a defensive situation.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36809: Aug 10, 2018 03:14:20 pm

Well I'm my opinion Shaqiri can be a more effective "number 10" than both Coutinho and Eriksen in Klopps system as he is creative, links play, is arguably more versatile, and has a better (if still not great) defensive side to his game. So in that case we already have our Coutinho replacement.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36810: Aug 10, 2018 03:27:23 pm
      Coutinho was garbage defensively.

In fact I can't remember him ever making a successful tackle in a defensive situation.

Defending is no longer about crunching tackles. We're in 2018 now not 1978.

He was very good at pressing, reading the game to intercept the ball and putting his body in between the man and the ball too.

A lot of his defensive work went unnoticed by dinosaurs living in the past and it wasn't 'garbage' at all.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36811: Aug 10, 2018 03:33:19 pm
      Well I'm my opinion Shaqiri can be a more effective "number 10" than both Coutinho and Eriksen in Klopps system as he is creative, links play, is arguably more versatile, and has a better (if still not great) defensive side to his game. So in that case we already have our Coutinho replacement.

Erm. Ok mate.

Do you watch the Swiss much? Or have you seen much of Stoke in recent times?  You've come out with some baffling statements the last day or so but shaqiri having a better defensive side than either coutinho or eriksen takes the biscuit. Are you on the wind up here?

Coutinho and eriksen both play in a team that press. Pressing is a form of both attacking but also defending. They work hard for their teams.

Shaqiri on the other hand actually has a reputation for being lazy and for having a horrible attitude. Whether klopp can knock that out of him remains to be seen. I'm sure he can but to state right now that shaqiris defensive side is better than those two is just madness.

You're entitled to your opinion but as I said earlier I don't think you quite understand the position we're short on and which coutinho played and which fekir was going to play. I'll say it again. It's part of the MIDFIELD THREE but the one that is the most ADVANCED. The point of the triangle.

Now if you think shaqiri can be part of the three that's sound. Fair enough. Maybe he is, we will wait and see. I just find it strange because he's done F**k all in his career so far to suggest that.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36812: Aug 10, 2018 04:50:21 pm
      Shaqiri on the other hand actually has a reputation for being lazy and for having a horrible attitude

Doesn't mean it's true....entirely different situation being the main man on a terrible stoke side where your surrounded by sh*te and expected to carry the entire squad than playing with Liverpool.

Seriously doubt the manager brought in a lazy player with a bad attitude for the sake of rehabilitating him....chances are the reputation you allude too simply does not exists in the real world...it's just a narrative by those that don't know the truth.

Studge is another one that got labeled as lazy with an attitude...never seen that in him since he's been here.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #36813: Aug 10, 2018 06:32:25 pm
      Defending is no longer about crunching tackles. We're in 2018 now not 1978.

He was very good at pressing, reading the game to intercept the ball and putting his body in between the man and the ball too.

A lot of his defensive work went unnoticed by dinosaurs living in the past and it wasn't 'garbage' at all.

Firmino, Mane, Lallana and to a lesser extent Salah are far better defensively then Coutinho with better pressing I don't know how you can say Coutinho was good defensively. World class in attack and creativity yes but defensively he was always lacking.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #36814: Aug 10, 2018 07:16:33 pm
      Hypothetical question to someone more clued up than me.
      The English transfer window is closed.
      Thus We can't add to our squad.
      I get that and I'm quite happy with the change.
      The window in continental Europe hadn't closed
      Clubs over there can buy players.
      So if Barcelona pitch up and say we want to buy Salah.
      We will give you €100 million plus Luis Suarez.
      Is that a deal we would be allowed to do?
      I'm thinking more in terms of selling say  Origi and getting cash plus some young prospect
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #36815: Aug 10, 2018 07:19:29 pm
      Hypothetical question to someone more clued up than me.
      The English transfer window is closed.
      Thus We can't add to our squad.
      I get that and I'm quite happy with the change.
      The window in continental Europe hadn't closed
      Clubs over there can buy players.
      So if Barcelona pitch up and say we want to buy Salah.
      We will give you €100 million plus Luis Suarez.
      Is that a deal we would be allowed to do?
      I'm thinking more in terms of selling say  Origi and getting cash plus some young prospect

Yes, outgoings are still allowed (only to Europe, not to PL).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #36816: Aug 10, 2018 07:45:27 pm
      Out of interest how much money do you think are in the coffers available for transfers, is it some infinite amount on a par with PSG and Citeh, because I'm sorry to disappoint you it really really isn't. We've just spent about £110m net in January and summer transfer windows, that is a considerable investment so no there wasn't an extra £100m available for a position that is NOT even critical.

BTW stop with the childish insults, you  do occasionally make some reasonable arguments in your posts but it gets lost if you act like a child and hurl insults.

lets look at the cost of purchase the cost of spending on players and the current value of the club which could be seen as money available and that figure stands at about £1billion.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36817: Aug 10, 2018 07:58:00 pm
      Doesn't mean it's true....entirely different situation being the main man on a terrible stoke side where your surrounded by sh*te and expected to carry the entire squad than playing with Liverpool.

Seriously doubt the manager brought in a lazy player with a bad attitude for the sake of rehabilitating him....chances are the reputation you allude too simply does not exists in the real world...it's just a narrative by those that don't know the truth.

Studge is another one that got labeled as lazy with an attitude...never seen that in him since he's been here.

It isn't a myth. He has even been exposed several times by pundits. He was recently exposed in the World Cup by a panel when Switzerland were playing and he was standing around on the half way line letting the opposition full back go past him and he had no interest in tracking him. He has always had a poor attitude and the way he blasted his team mates last season was ridiculous.

That said, he has looked a different animal in pre season and klopp has proven he can be ruthless when needed and he won't stand for any sh*te. I do think shaqiri will put the effort in here but i stand by what i said, he has done literally nothing in his career to suggest he can play in the midfield three.

I wouldn't describe Sturridge as lazy either but there is a noticeable different in our press whenever he plays and it's no wonder klopp doesn't fancy him because nobody can dispute the talent he has. I've always thought it was because he's frightened of injuring himself. I know others feel the same and it's been discussed on this forum before.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36818: Aug 10, 2018 08:06:19 pm

There is the answer right there.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36819: Aug 10, 2018 08:09:24 pm
      There is the answer right there.

So if professionals in the game analyse his performance you rubbish it off as nonsense then?

It was there to see clear as day.

So I see it. Other football fans see it. Pundits see it. Professionals see it. But Azpatrioit on lfcreds says it's not true and it's a myth.  :lmao:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36820: Aug 10, 2018 08:13:57 pm
      So if professionals in the game analyse his performance you rubbish it off as nonsense then?

It was there to see clear as day.

So I see it. Other football fans see it. Pundits see it. Professionals see it. But Azpatrioit on lfcreds says it's not true and it's a myth.  :lmao:

My opinion...Yours is no better than mine as far as Pundits...they do have a way of creating illusions for the sake of market share no?

Is he perfect? No...but i will stand by the assertion that if he was lazy or had real attitude issues the manager would have never allowed him in the squad in the first place...I think that is something that has been proven as fact in regards to our manager.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #36821: Aug 10, 2018 08:23:29 pm
      My opinion...Yours is no better than mine as far as Pundits...they do have a way of creating illusions for the sake of market share no?

Is he perfect? No...but i will stand by the assertion that if he was lazy or had real attitude issues the manager would have never allowed him in the squad in the first place...I think that is something that has been proven as fact in regards to our manager.

I can't remember who Switzerland were even playing now. But I watched the game. And at the time we were heavily linked with shaqiri. So I took a particular interest in him. And his work rate was shocking. I'm absolutely certain if you go into his thread on here that somebody (probably a few posters) would have also picked up on it and commented on it.  Then, at half time, he got absolutely blasted by whatever panel was on and his performance was analysed. They showed several replays of how poor he was and how tragic his attitude was. So no, it's no illusion, it's no myth, it was there to see clear as day. If you don't believe me then go through his thread because I'm 100% certain somebody else would have said something about it because at the time we were on the verge of making a bid.

He has been lazy in several games throughout his career. He has a poor attitude. It's not professional to come out mid season and blast your colleagues, is it.

I do think klopp will get the most out of him though. But let's not forget that klopp can be a little deluded at times and he's quite naive in that he thinks he can polish turds. He's been stubborn and had faith in certain players where he shouldn't have. So I do think he likes the challenge of rehabilitating players as you put.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #36822: Aug 10, 2018 08:36:00 pm
      lets look at the cost of purchase the cost of spending on players and the current value of the club which could be seen as money available and that figure stands at about £1billion.

:lmao: wtf did i just read

Quick Reply