Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4214551 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #37444: Dec 18, 2018 03:59:23 pm
      Itā€™s not a given at all - both Matip and Gomez are back in Feb , Gomez and VVD are the future , Lovren and Matip for a couple years with youngsters waiting. There isnā€™t space for a CB and Klopp isnā€™t going to waste money on someone when they wonā€™t play

Klopp sold our 5th CB
      Both reportedly back, both given Gomez's injury who's to say that he will not have a set back...?, plus there is a lot of football to be played between January and February...
      Remember what happened one January no to far back and hope that we don't lose VVD or Lovren...??

Why risk it...?

Edit:- CL last 16 we have drawn Bayern Munich, not as I have already stated VVD has a ban for the first leg, which leaves Lovren and ...?

Who would you rather that be, and U23 or someone with a little more experience bearing in mind that Lovren,

a) plays better when he has someone to direct his play, has seen along side VVD...

b) still has the occasional brain fart...

But I guess we could always play Fab at CB and hope that we don't lose VVD or Lovren...??  :f_whistle:
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2018 04:26:32 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37445: Dec 18, 2018 04:21:34 pm
      who had been playing in the league for who long ?
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #37446: Dec 18, 2018 04:24:14 pm

Klopp used VVD in the FA Cup game vs. Everton on Jan 5th and his next game for us (league debut) was not until Jan 22nd.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37447: Dec 18, 2018 04:24:51 pm
      Both reportedly back, both given Gomez's injury who's to say that he will not have a set back...?, plus there is a lot of football to be played between January and February...
      Remember what happened one January no to far back...??

Why risk it...?

We arenā€™t a club that can just buy players on what ifs - we have 4 CB ā€˜s Klopp is not going to spend a significant amount of money on a 5th CB in January- especially when he has his number one pair. Itā€™s not football manager or FIFA etc - the budget is used sensibly. If we bring someone in during Jan and it will be an IF it will be a wide player and if there is an issue with a CB then Klopp will find a way around it
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #37448: Dec 18, 2018 04:28:12 pm
      who had been playing in the league for who long ?
      Rib was saying that klopp does not throw a player straigthing in
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #37449: Dec 18, 2018 04:31:00 pm
      We arenā€™t a club that can just buy players on what ifs - we have 4 CB ā€˜s Klopp is not going to spend a significant amount of money on a 5th CB in January- especially when he has his number one pair. Itā€™s not football manager or FIFA etc - the budget is used sensibly. If we bring someone in during Jan and it will be an IF it will be a wide player and if there is an issue with a CB then Klopp will find a way around it

Sorry mate, edited my post, added to it.(I am a very slow two finger typer)
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37450: Dec 18, 2018 04:38:01 pm
      Rib was saying that klopp does not throw a player straigthing in

Klopp treats each player on their own merits - some will play straight away some will take time but Klopp has shown he knows what he is doing
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #37451: Dec 18, 2018 04:39:53 pm
      Has it stands we don't have 4 CB, we have two, come the CL match vs Bayern that that could be one if things do not go as planned. Now weight that against progression to the last 8 of the CL, and the possibility of falling away in the title race, I believe that FSG will look at the potential revenue lost and revenue gains column and give Klopp what ever he needs
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37452: Dec 18, 2018 04:52:31 pm
      Has it stands we don't have 4 CB, we have two, come the CL match vs Bayern that that could be one if things do not go as planned. Now weight that against progression to the last 8 of the CL, and the possibility of falling away in the title race, I believe that FSG will look at the potential revenue lost and revenue gains column and give Klopp what ever he needs

We do have 4 CB - Gomez , VVD , Lovren and Matip - four , i doubt many clubs have more

We also have Fabinho who I have no doubt could slot in there plus the two young lads

I would expect Milner would also do a job if things got that bad.

Klopp will not buy a CB - he is not going to spend money on a player as some stop gap just in case Gomez takes longer than the 6 weeks or Matip.

We arenā€™t City and we need to stop thinking like City - we donā€™t just go out and buy someone the manager works around it because there is no doubt any money he has will be earmarked for future use -far too many short term thinking - people unable to see past the current
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #37453: Dec 18, 2018 05:28:14 pm
      No one is saying we spend Ā£30M on a 5th choice CB but I think it could make sense to do a Ragnar Klavan style signing 'just in case'
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #37454: Dec 18, 2018 06:34:14 pm
      No one is saying we spend Ā£30M on a 5th choice CB but I think it could make sense to do a Ragnar Klavan style signing 'just in case'

Definitely.

We need cover there as far as I'm concerned as Lovren and Matip seem to be made of glass.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37455: Dec 18, 2018 06:51:57 pm

Like who ?

And we have young CBā€™s in the reserves that are there ā€œjust in caseā€
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #37456: Dec 18, 2018 07:55:42 pm
      Definitely.

We need cover there as far as I'm concerned as Lovren and Matip seem to be made of glass.
      what's the point in signing new centre backs as backup to the backup when we have Phillips?  I back him to start FA cup games.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #37457: Dec 18, 2018 08:46:44 pm
      Like who ?

And we have young CBā€™s in the reserves that are there ā€œjust in caseā€

Had you heard of Ragnar Klavan before he signed?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #37458: Dec 18, 2018 09:14:18 pm
      what's the point in signing new centre backs as backup to the backup when we have Phillips?  I back him to start FA cup games.

I'd like an experienced CB if possibly as going on a title run having to beat City I'd sooner not have to throw a kid in if we get injuries.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #37459: Dec 18, 2018 09:27:46 pm
      I'd like an experienced CB if possibly as going on a title run having to beat City I'd sooner not have to throw a kid in if we get injuries.

If we want to win the league and the CL we definitely need quality back up McGuire of Leicester might be worth a shout
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2018 09:32:37 pm by waltonl4 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #37460: Dec 18, 2018 09:31:53 pm
      If we want to win the league and the CL we definitely need quality back up

Exactly.

I'm all for brining kids through, always have been Walt, but I'd like the assurance of an extra experienced CB should we get hit with injuries.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #37461: Dec 18, 2018 09:33:43 pm
      Exactly.

I'm all for brining kids through, always have been Walt, but I'd like the assurance of an extra experienced CB should we get hit with injuries.

We are in the big time now and we need to think big ,we have two CB's at the moment and it isn't enough cover
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37462: Dec 18, 2018 09:35:39 pm
      Had you heard of Ragnar Klavan before he signed?

If we have a CB of that level sitting as back up to back up what was point of selling him in the first place.

Klopp isnā€™t going to buy a CB - he will use the squad

There is no point going out and getting sub standard back ups to the back up and we arenā€™t going to spend big money on a decent back up when the squad has them -ā€˜we canā€™t afford to throw money around like that
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,080 posts | 3442 
      Reply #37463: Dec 18, 2018 09:36:32 pm
      If we want to win the league and the CL we definitely need quality back up McGuire of Leicester might be worth a shout

Maguire will cost over Ā£50 mil - the club isnā€™t going to pay Ā£50mil for someone to sit on the bench
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #37464: Dec 18, 2018 09:37:35 pm
      We are in the big time now and we need to think big ,we have two CB's at the moment and it isn't enough cover

I think numbers wise with Van Dijk, Lovren, Matip and Gomez were fine it's just two of them are very injury prone.

I'd me more comfortable going into March/April time with 1 more.

Not vital just something I think we could look at doing in Jan if the opportunity is there.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #37465: Dec 18, 2018 09:43:01 pm
      If we have a CB of that level sitting as back up to back up what was point of selling him in the first place.

Klopp isnā€™t going to buy a CB - he will use the squad

There is no point going out and getting sub standard back ups to the back up and we arenā€™t going to spend big money on a decent back up when the squad has them -ā€˜we canā€™t afford to throw money around like that

You donā€™t have to spend fortunes all the time (Robertson). If thereā€™s a CB out there for decent money he likes weā€™ll sign one if there isnā€™t we wonā€™t
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #37466: Dec 18, 2018 09:44:23 pm
      We do have 4 CB - Gomez , VVD , Lovren and Matip - four , i doubt many clubs have more

Oh !! That's OK then...So against Wolves Friday we can field Gomez and Matip, give Lovren and VVD a rest after the Utd game. They deserve it  :roll:

We also have Fabinho who I have no doubt could slot in there plus the two young lads

I would expect Milner would also do a job if things got that bad.

Fab could slot in at Right back, or maybe even centre back, Buy if he gets injured too what then...
      and do we really want Milner playing CB against Bayern...? or the youth for that matter

Klopp will not buy a CB - he is not going to spend money on a player as some stop gap just in case Gomez takes longer than the 6 weeks or Matip.

It is not just about the healing time... Gomez and to a lesser extent Matip would have been sitting around doing nothing, or in the case of Matip light training. Gomez will need some weeks to get back to something near match fitness, Matip too that's early March before they are match fit... Still feel that we do not need a CB...?

We arenā€™t City and we need to stop thinking like City - we donā€™t just go out and buy someone the manager works around it because there is no doubt any money he has will be earmarked for future use -far too many short term thinking - people unable to see past the current

So next week or so we lose Lovren and VVD, are you suggesting Klopp plays Solanke and Origi at CB, is that how Klopp would work around it, or maybe the youth centre backs...? It does not matter we have Allison, who needs CB right... :o

If we do not have the players to play then No Manager can work around that...

Quick Reply