Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4200828 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,697 posts | 3365 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #39629: Jun 18, 2019 01:58:41 pm
      I got this sneaky feeling that we'll do a Naby Keita with Houssem Aouar. Jürgen absolutely adores him, we've scouted him a million times and we might agree a deal that makes him stay at France for 1 more year as he'll want to play frequently with the Euros upcoming.

Would be over the moon if this happens. He is just too perfect for us.

How do you know that ?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #39630: Jun 18, 2019 02:10:15 pm

Surf for content from 2016
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #39631: Jun 18, 2019 05:44:09 pm
      I am having a hard time believing LFC's decision makers believe status quo plus better depth will be sufficient to unseat MNC who is strengthening with big money starters as we speak.
      And lets not ignore Europe's big boys who make CL success their primary goal. Real Madrid is already on course again.

As good as LFC was in the PL, their offense was inconsistent over stretches when the team was earning zero or one point in matches because of their inability to score.
      And as good as LFC's defense was over the entire season, MNC had the stingiest defense by far down the stretch, relinquishing 4 goals in their final 14 (?) games while securing all 42 points during that stretch.
      And despite LFC's well earned CL championship, truth is LFC struggled on the road mightily during the group stage scoring a total of one goal.
      Common theme: lack of goals at times, especially on the road.
      ------------------------------------------------------
      Minor points that only affect LFC's pocketbook:

LFC's 3 group stage losses cost LFC not only 8.1 mill in addition prize money but minimized LFC's EUFA Coefficient ranking score that determines future fees paid out. LFC did not earn additional points because of losses.

Note: Barcelona secured 30 pts despite losing to LFC in the semis while LFC secured only 29 despite hoisting the trophy.
      Yes....I'm greedy

Note 2.0: Anyone else think it is ridiculous Chelsea, the Europa champion....also known as 33rd best team, was able to earn 30 coefficient points in a tournament created to satisfy the best of the rest.
      Chelsea bested LFC in points....30-29
      Just insane

The good news:

LFC has gobs of money
      LFC has a #1 seed in CL and should earn more wins in a much easier group stage gaining them extra millions per win.
      LFC has a significantly higher UEFA coefficient guaranteeing the team a higher CL floor in terms of fees.
      Further more, LFC will no longer be saddled by their low 2014-15 coefficient score of 10 pts as it comes off the books. And if this formula continues into the future, their 2015-16 score of 0 comes off the books in a year. If LFC can continue this amazing CL run they are currently in, the fees will grow significantly larger in subsequent years.

So....for all the reasons I have listed above, I find it hard to believe ownership will be content simply with depth purchases.
      They are fully aware (I hope) of their limitations and also the quality of their competition on several fronts.
      Knowing what kind of opportunities are close at hand and the financial rewards that accompany future success, I expect Henry to make all necessary investments to achieve these goals.
      Henry has a proven track record of buying stars that will help his teams fulfill goals when opportunities present themselves.
      LFC is in one of those sweet spots right now.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #39632: Jun 18, 2019 07:38:18 pm
      Michael Edwards you have done this to yourself.

A week ago I'd have accepted Nabil Fekir.

Given the delays I now expect Dembele or Mbappe to.

Sort it out.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #39633: Jun 19, 2019 12:13:50 pm
      Klopp is like a Foster Carer for footballers he is very careful who he Fosters and will not do anything to upset his family at home.  We have the most together squad I can remember and I would rather go with what we have now than pay a fortune for a Billy big bollocks (no offence meant Billy) who comes in with the wrong attitude.

Same here mate, I would like to see a couple hungry talented youngsters brought in with the potential to be starters but who are willing to work for their place in the team.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #39634: Jun 19, 2019 01:23:44 pm
      Deligt me. We need world class cover for VVD. If he's injured, we can still be delighted.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #39635: Jun 19, 2019 02:05:38 pm
      Couple hungry talented youngsters
      Sane and Sancho then?
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #39636: Jun 19, 2019 02:26:00 pm
      Michael Edwards you have done this to yourself.

A week ago I'd have accepted Nabil Fekir.

Given the delays I now expect Dembele or Mbappe to.

Sort it out.

We need world class cover for our front three and midfield. We should buy them all.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #39637: Jun 19, 2019 03:26:45 pm
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #39638: Jun 19, 2019 03:47:21 pm

Hopefully with a buy back clause inserted?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #39639: Jun 19, 2019 05:11:32 pm
      If we can do outgoing transfers then we should be able to do incoming.

Get on yer horse Edwards.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39640: Jun 19, 2019 08:52:01 pm
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #39641: Jun 20, 2019 06:50:35 am
      75 million for that big donkey lukaku . Has inter not saw him play or what ;D
      Worlds gone mad
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #39642: Jun 20, 2019 11:13:23 am
      We need world class cover for our front three and midfield. We should buy them all.

you will not get a world class player to come and sit on the bench though will we and its abundantly clear Jürgen will not split up his special front three who gives collectively more than the sum of the parts so to speak. Harry Wilson had a good season with Derby but isn't at the level yet where he could begin to think of getting a place but just look at how Mo developed under Jürgen then we have young Brewster and Divok the CL winner and destroyer of Barca. Its going to be very difficult to find the right fit regardless of finances
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #39643: Jun 20, 2019 11:27:11 am
      75 million for that big donkey lukaku . Has inter not saw him play or what ;D
      Worlds gone mad

Made me laugh that when the stories say that it depends on inter shifting icardi. How lukaku is valued higher than icardi is beyond me, irrelevant of icardi's baggage
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #39644: Jun 20, 2019 12:52:42 pm
      you will not get a world class player to come and sit on the bench though will we and its abundantly clear Jürgen will not split up his special front three who gives collectively more than the sum of the parts so to speak. Harry Wilson had a good season with Derby but isn't at the level yet where he could begin to think of getting a place but just look at how Mo developed under Jürgen then we have young Brewster and Divok the CL winner and destroyer of Barca. Its going to be very difficult to find the right fit regardless of finances

That first sentence is indeed the response I was looking for. ;D

I generally feel that some of us believe there’s a huge drop in quality at the bench and therefore we’ve the need to find a quality player.

As you’ve said, world class players are out due to playing time, wage and transfer fee.

Then again, some of us want an upgrade on our legend even though he delivered from the bench time and again.

So we look for young hungry players who have some stats in other leagues but are unproven in the premier league.

That probably gives the same confidence/feeling as promoting our younger players who went out on loan to the first team.

Ideally, everyone wants a marquee signing like VVD or Ali. But at this stage it is not easy to final a player who will improve our front trio. VVD and Ali were easy upgrades given what we had in those positions. But our front three are firing.

In truth, I advocate sticking with our legend and Rhian. They’ll know our style of play better. Then take back Harry Wilson and develop him if needed.

Think about it, we lost the league only at the Etihad. Largely because Joe was out. And now that Matip is playing at a very good level, there’s probably enough cover in defence.

We already have a good enough squad. It’s just a matter whether we want to go along the lines of “we can’t sit back”, “we need world class cover”, “we need to stop city from getting their player”, “we need that same quality on the bench as the front three”, “whoever we have doesn’t convince me, they cannot make it” etc.

My point is... whoever we’re looking for, we might already have in our backyard to do that job. Do you have the confidence in the coaching team and in them?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39645: Jun 20, 2019 01:18:47 pm
      Sounds like Camacho has a bit of a jackass for an agent, playing hardball about where he wants to go and not signing a renewal. Shame to see when you spend years developing a player, but greed will do that
      That reduces by one the number of options we have for producing our own attacking depth.

I look forward to seeing Brewster actually play with the first team in preseason to see if he is an option.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #39646: Jun 20, 2019 01:54:03 pm
      Sounds like Camacho has a bit of a jackass for an agent, playing hardball about where he wants to go and not signing a renewal. Shame to see when you spend years developing a player, but greed will do that
      That reduces by one the number of options we have for producing our own attacking depth.

I look forward to seeing Brewster actually play with the first team in preseason to see if he is an option.

Brewster is very raw, but he is also very talented.
      The next step up for him is crucial, and is the make or break one.
      Fingers crossed for the lad, and if he keeps his head down, ears open and applies himself, he stands a good chance of making the step up.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39647: Jun 20, 2019 01:59:23 pm

Please explain how Citeh manage to have so many good players on the bench, the answer is something called rotation, try to get your head around that please.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #39648: Jun 20, 2019 02:16:50 pm
      Please explain how Citeh manage to have so many good players on the bench, the answer is something called rotation, try to get your head around that please.

Going by this argument, we should be going for delight. In case him or VVD is down, we’ve at least one world class CB.

Fekir as well, at a valuation cheaper than one year ago. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39649: Jun 20, 2019 02:31:05 pm

Who are you thinking of as their bench players? How do they compare to ours and is that the one point difference in your mind. (They won both domestic cups as well, I understand).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39650: Jun 20, 2019 02:51:39 pm
      Who are you thinking of as their bench players? How do they compare to ours and is that the one point difference in your mind. (They won both domestic cups as well, I understand).

Well its a good question and proves my point about rotation. Almost all their player play a key part in their season, but if I had to define any of them as "bench" players then I'd probably say Mahrez, Jesus and Sane, but all three of them played plenty of minutes/games.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #39651: Jun 20, 2019 03:08:36 pm
      Well its a good question and proves my point about rotation. Almost all their player play a key part in their season, but if I had to define any of them as "bench" players then I'd probably say Mahrez, Jesus and Sane, but all three of them played plenty of minutes/games.

Correct.  They also had arguably their best player (KDB) out injured for over half the season.  They are absolutely stacked with talent in reserve. 

The problem is, they got this way by spending roughly 4x more than us on transfers in the last 10 years (net transfer spend).  They are also able to keep world class squad players happy because they pay upwards of 3x higher wages than we do.  We can't compete with them in that sense....

Quick Reply