Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179869 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40043: Jul 16, 2019 04:50:58 pm
      100% agree, nail on the head.

It is astonishing that some people are actually arguing against having a stronger squad!! As for this signing someone to sit on the bench nonsense, it is utter crap, with 4 quality forwards you could rotate and give the current three a bit more rest throughout the season, plus not have to play them when they have a dip in form AND have someone to come in off the bench to change a game, which we were crying out for a few times last season when we had those few flat games that led to draws.

No one is arguing against a strong squad - you were suggesting that we bring in a 100mil striker .

Klopp doesn’t rotate that three enough to bring in a “100mil” striker - hence why Klopp won’t bring in one because the front three will play “95%” of the time - the other times he has played players like Origi , Sturridge , adapted the system to bring in Shaqiri etc etc

The club isn’t going to spend £100mil on someone like Icardi or Dybala and then have them on the bench or put one of the others on the bench - we just won’t do that , Klopp won’t do that.

There will always be “what if’s “ in regards injuries etc and if we did lose someone for an extended period then I suspect the boss will sign someone - but it’s not football manager where you can have 6 top quality players in the squad for the front three and just keep rotating them - even City have unhappy players because they don’t play enough
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40044: Jul 16, 2019 05:06:49 pm
      A lot of factors go into buying a player. (At least they should).  A players ability, his preferred role, his adaptability, his potential or real impact on squad chemistry, the other players we already have, and yes, his asking price and wage demands. any one of these can throw off a transfer happening , as can health issues.

Fekir's health ended the deal for us. There are other players who might be good, but who don't fit because one or more of the other factors listed . On here you can look at players in a vacuum - "X is a good player so therefore we MUST sign him" -  but a good manager will look at them in context. That is what JĂźrgen does. 

New signings are like a crack pipe, i get it.  Why do I know many details about a 16-year old we've brought in who can't sign a pro contract until April? Because he's new. But if you look at it from the long perspective, signings should supplement development, not the other way around. We've signed plenty, for this window at least, there are other avenues from which to get better.

You completely missed the point of my post. What I was saying was that if Klopp was happy with his front three and attack in general last summer then why was he pursuing Fekir seeing as he is an extra high quality attacker?  BTW we have an even weaker attack right now, with Sturridge having left and with Brewster being a completely unknown quantity at this level.
      Now it may well be that Klopp has seen enough in Brewster to suggest he is that 4th quality forward we need and if so then I trust him, but I still think its a bit of a gamble and I'd much prefer we get one more top quality forward to fight for places with Mo, Sadio and Bobby. I am still baffled why you have an issue with this?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40045: Jul 16, 2019 05:08:18 pm
      My conspiracy theory says that Fekir's stats were great and therefore we went in for him. In the middle of it all, there was Shaq for just ÂŁ12m. Perhaps the stats are not too far off and for that price, perhaps Shaq based on dollar value is more bang for buck. So they messed up Fekir's deal and went ahead with Shaq.

That's my conspiracy theory. May or may not be true, but ask me and I'll go with this.

as much as I love the wee man there is no way in hell Shaq's stats are as good as Fekir's, now or then.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40046: Jul 16, 2019 05:10:31 pm
      No one is arguing against a strong squad - you were suggesting that we bring in a 100mil striker .

Klopp doesn’t rotate that three enough to bring in a “100mil” striker - hence why Klopp won’t bring in one because the front three will play “95%” of the time - the other times he has played players like Origi , Sturridge , adapted the system to bring in Shaqiri etc etc

The club isn’t going to spend £100mil on someone like Icardi or Dybala and then have them on the bench or put one of the others on the bench - we just won’t do that , Klopp won’t do that.

There will always be “what if’s “ in regards injuries etc and if we did lose someone for an extended period then I suspect the boss will sign someone - but it’s not football manager where you can have 6 top quality players in the squad for the front three and just keep rotating them - even City have unhappy players because they don’t play enough

The reason Klopp doesn't rotate the front three is because he can't, the drop off in quality is simply to large and yes I think we would probably have to spend ÂŁ100m to get a forward with enough quality to push our current front three, but why on earth shouldn't they have competition for places like all our other players have?
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #40047: Jul 16, 2019 05:25:20 pm
      as much as I love the wee man there is no way in hell Shaq's stats are as good as Fekir's, now or then.

Yes you're right. I didn't say so either. I emphasised "not too far off" and they key is "more bang for buck". If I may elaborate... Gives more value per dollar spent. If I may go on further... Much cheaper and perhaps gives stats not too far off from Fekir's. And if I'm right about this, Shaq's purchase would make more sense. The key is more practical and makes better sense where spending is concerned.

And where clarification is needed, not to pay too much or go for the best at ridiculous prices.

In summary Shaq is more a bargain. Something like that.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40048: Jul 16, 2019 05:38:42 pm
      we will do mate at the start of this season both Mo and Sadio will not be available for the first few games so we will see how JĂźrgen deals with this.  I am absolutely certain JĂźrgen and his team have everything covered and if he wants a player or more than one player he will get the funds needed. We managed last season without quite a few players and lost one game. All the front three had periods of poor form it would be crazy if they didn't but JĂźrgen managed the squad and we lost one league game and won the CL yet for some it wasn't enough and we need to spend ÂŁ200mil on Mbappe. Its as if they haven't heard a word JĂźrgen has said in his time here its all about building for the future and now we have a squad ready to win some silverware for the next few seasons.

I don’t think that’s the same though mate, if we we’re to lose either or both to long-term injuries we’re a very different team. Sure we can cope with a couple of games here and there but my worry would be if Origi or Shaqiri are players we are relying on for back to back games against City, Milan and then Arsenal for example. I know Mbappe is a silly idea but a player of genuine quality to challenge these lads for playing time would make a lot of sense.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40049: Jul 16, 2019 05:56:48 pm
      We had a massive need for a CB and we bought Virgil and then the same with a GK. We do not have an obvious need for a world class player  now we need cover and players who can develop which is exactly what JĂźrgen does. He has a net spend of about ÂŁ75mil in 4 years or so he is a squad builder . We have yet to see the best of Naby. OX, Joe at CB and Shaq .
       As far as I can see there is not an obvious player out there regardless of money who can add something to this squad. Given we knew Danny would be off I think the development of Brewster covers his role and if Mignolet stays we are really looking at a left back for Robbo.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40050: Jul 16, 2019 06:05:07 pm
      We had a massive need for a CB and we bought Virgil and then the same with a GK. We do not have an obvious need for a world class player  now we need cover and players who can develop which is exactly what JĂźrgen does. He has a net spend of about ÂŁ75mil in 4 years or so he is a squad builder . We have yet to see the best of Naby. OX, Joe at CB and Shaq .
       As far as I can see there is not an obvious player out there regardless of money who can add something to this squad. Given we knew Danny would be off I think the development of Brewster covers his role and if Mignolet stays we are really looking at a left back for Robbo.

They might even decide to keep Clyne as he can cover both positions, it would be a 1 year fix for sure but it would work defensively. We also all need to remember we may not play a 4-3-3 which will allow a position of strength (midfield) to give players a rest or cover if an injury occurs.

The issue is JĂźrgen is going to buy people that will improve his starting XI; were not going to find any that our better than our front 3 and conversely were not going to sign a ÂŁ100 million player who does not want to start or conversely we are paying to sit on the bench. The balancing act is a very fine line that seems to be overlooked by most.

That being said "if" you could get a Dembele for 70-80 million who would be willing to rotate with the front 3 with the idea that one or perhaps 2 of them might leave in the next year or two i'd be all in.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40051: Jul 16, 2019 06:11:17 pm
      ts taken JĂźrgen nearly 4 years to get the team he wants with the right type of players suggesting Mbappe is an "option" is lunacy and clearly no thought had gone into having him at Liverpool.

I'm not so sure it's lunacy Walt; i don't expect one or both of Salah/Mane to be here two seasons from now. If we were to win the league this year it wouldn't shock me (or anger me) if Salah wanted to try something different. If Salah was sold at say ÂŁ150+ million bringing somebody in like Mbappe is not unrealistic at all.

But yeah it's not happening this year.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #40052: Jul 16, 2019 06:19:18 pm
      The reason Klopp doesn't rotate the front three is because he can't, the drop off in quality is simply to large and yes I think we would probably have to spend ÂŁ100m to get a forward with enough quality to push our current front three, but why on earth shouldn't they have competition for places like all our other players have?

The reason why Klopp doesn’t rotate the front three is because he doesn’t want too - has given Interviews before staying that he likes the constant of the front three to allow them to create their partnerships etc etc - it was the same at Dortmund as well

He isn’t going to spend £100mil on a player to rotate and provide competition- it’s just not going to happen - if Klopp finds someone that can provide someone to add something into that front three then he will buy them but right now he is looking at Origi , Brewster and Wilson as the players to fill those three spots behind the main three guys to provide competition and back up - those front three are as good as any in Europe as a three
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40053: Jul 16, 2019 06:37:36 pm
      The reason why Klopp doesn’t rotate the front three is because he doesn’t want too - has given Interviews before staying that he likes the constant of the front three to allow them to create their partnerships etc etc - it was the same at Dortmund as well

I’m fairly sure he rotated to some degree when he also had Coutinho as an option during the first 3-4 months of Salah’s first season? I can’t recall that he played all 4 all the time.

Going back to the squad do people think we will make a fist if the domestic cups this year with the squad we have?

And do people think that we have enough depth to handle the week in Qatar for the World Club Cup?

You see I don’t think we’ve got the depth to make a real dent in the domestic cups (we didn’t last season and the squad is no bigger as it stands) and I also think the club cup will have a knock on effect ie. the travel and jet lag impact, movement of fixtures leading to games in hand that have to be squeezed in elsewhere etc.

I find it a bit weird that the mere suggestion of the need to strengthen is being shouted down by so many if I’m honest. I think we need more players.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40054: Jul 16, 2019 06:39:16 pm
      Is this Coutinho loan stuff all bollocks? Some divvy in work reckons it's on but I think he sees a rumour and passes it off as fact.

Would be funny to do it though. 2 year loan, pay his wages but then when the time comes to buy send him packing back.

My best guess is poor Philippe is off to PSG whether he likes it or not as a makeweight in their pursuit of bringing back Neymar.

I was under the impression that PSG wanted to buy him to make Neymar happy.

Saw something about it ages ago.

Probably a load of bollocks though.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40055: Jul 16, 2019 06:43:32 pm
      And do people think that we have enough depth to handle the week in Qatar for the World Club Cup?

To be fair the first match is going to be a rollover and i expect it to be a slapped together squad...i agree we could use another front 3 player..that being said unless it is a Dembele, Pepe, Werner type i wouldn't even bother shopping just for the sake of shopping.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #40056: Jul 16, 2019 06:44:12 pm
      To be fair the first match is going to be a rollover and i expect it to be a slapped together squad...i agree we could use another front 3 player..that being said unless it is a Dembele, Pepe, Werner type i wouldn't even bother shopping just for the sake of shopping.

I agree mate, has to be a quality signing
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40057: Jul 16, 2019 06:52:26 pm
      I agree mate, has to be a quality signing

And that means there are a lot of things that have to happen just right; which also means it may not happen...we are shopping in an entirely different store now and the inventory is limited. I am all for getting another player in to strengthen, but at the same time i am chill with whatever the manager does as i know that he has the short/long term interest of the club in everything he does.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #40058: Jul 16, 2019 07:09:11 pm
      I’m fairly sure he rotated to some degree when he also had Coutinho as an option during the first 3-4 months of Salah’s first season? I can’t recall that he played all 4 all the time.

Going back to the squad do people think we will make a fist if the domestic cups this year with the squad we have?

You see I don’t think we’ve got the depth to make a real dent in the domestic cups (we didn’t last season and the squad is no bigger as it stands) and I also think the club cup will have a knock on effect ie. the travel and jet lag impact, movement of fixtures leading to games in hand that have to be squeezed in elsewhere etc.

I find it a bit weird that the mere suggestion of the need to strengthen is being shouted down by so many if I’m honest. I think we need more players.

I think Salah played 52 games first season and do recall them playing all four a number of times

Being honest I’m not bothered about domestic Cup and I suspect most top 4 clubs don’t really bother now - they don’t have much relevance in modern football now

Going to Qatar yep is going to cause issues but I have no doubt Klopp will judge it right

I think we should add a couple of players but I think talk of players like Mbappe is plain daft as is talk of spending ÂŁ100mil on players

If Klopp wants someone he will go get them but it won’t be the likes of Pepe
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #40059: Jul 16, 2019 07:42:29 pm
      I'm not so sure it's lunacy Walt; i don't expect one or both of Salah/Mane to be here two seasons from now. If we were to win the league this year it wouldn't shock me (or anger me) if Salah wanted to try something different. If Salah was sold at say ÂŁ150+ million bringing somebody in like Mbappe is not unrealistic at all.

But yeah it's not happening this year.

of course it is. I don't know what you do for a living but if someone come in and demanded twice what the highest paid person already received it would cause mayhem. Klopp builds a team he doesn't buy one and he has built a team he thinks is good enough for the next couple of seasons without too many changes. Its going to be a very interesting few weeks. We may as well go for Gareth Bale
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #40060: Jul 16, 2019 07:53:04 pm
      We don't need any players in my opinion.

We have a superb first team and a big group of youngsters bursting with talent vying to break into the squad.

We're in an extremely healthy state right now.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40061: Jul 16, 2019 07:56:03 pm
      of course it is. I don't know what you do for a living but if someone come in and demanded twice what the highest paid person already received it would cause mayhem. Klopp builds a team he doesn't buy one and he has built a team he thinks is good enough for the next couple of seasons without too many changes. Its going to be a very interesting few weeks. We may as well go for Gareth Bale

Again Walt i was speaking in the case of Salah/Mane leaving; the team has to continually grow and it can't all be from the academy or taking players and making them better as in the case of VVD and Allison.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40062: Jul 16, 2019 08:04:47 pm
      You completely missed the point of my post. What I was saying was that if Klopp was happy with his front three and attack in general last summer then why was he pursuing Fekir seeing as he is an extra high quality attacker?  BTW we have an even weaker attack right now, with Sturridge having left and with Brewster being a completely unknown quantity at this level.
      Now it may well be that Klopp has seen enough in Brewster to suggest he is that 4th quality forward we need and if so then I trust him, but I still think its a bit of a gamble and I'd much prefer we get one more top quality forward to fight for places with Mo, Sadio and Bobby. I am still baffled why you have an issue with this?

Actually you missed the point of mine. He is very selective in buying new, especially when he has proven performers excelling already. If he's not in for the guy you like there is some reason. Doesn't mean he hasn't looked at forwards (or other positions) to possibly buy, but nobody has compelled him yet
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #40063: Jul 16, 2019 08:34:55 pm
      I can see both sides of this debate as I think JĂźrgen does like a settled team and smallish squad but also he didn't rotate the front three as much last season simply because the drop of was too great.

As someone else said, Scott I think, before Coutinho left we did rotate a bit more and also had the luxury of the front three plus Coutinho coming from deeper as well at times.

A Coutinho type player is the perfect fit for what we need. Someone good enough to play in the front three and as an attacking mid so we can rotate a bit more and also play four when necessary.

We tried to buy Fekir, most likely for this role, and I'd still say we're trying to replace Coutinho's place in the squad.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #40064: Jul 16, 2019 10:08:57 pm
      Still extreme top quality and scores quite a few goals have him back in a heartbeat.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #40065: Jul 16, 2019 10:12:18 pm
      A back up FB and another back up forward (wide player) are all we need. Won't be for big money, and doesn't need to be.

We need to give Sadio a pay rise as apparently he is on about half what Bobby is on. That's about it. The squad to win the league is essentially already here.

Quick Reply