Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4199584 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40227: Jul 23, 2019 04:16:33 pm
      So you think we will sell both VVD and Alisson for profit in a few years time? Plus if they were only in it for money why not sell Mane and Salah now, they are at peak value or certainly damned close to it.

This constant mistrust and bashing of the owners is extremely tedious especially after last summer where they invested so heavily.

Regarding Bale I would love to see us sign him but given the choice of ÂŁ200k taxable and play for us or ÂŁ1m tax free per week playing some easy zero pressure games in China I think I know what he'll go for.

Just imagine that for a second ÂŁ1m per week tax free!!!!

You missed my point completely.

I never said anything about selling players for profit only.

Also I have never bashed FSG since they took ownership of this club.

However the FSG model is to buy players with big potential before they reach their prime to maximise value to the club and potentially selling at a profit IF the players are to move on e.g. Coutinho, Suarez, Ibe, Solanke, Ings, Camacho, Ward, Stewart etc.

Bale does not fit this model and I'm baffled after almost 10 years of ownership people still don't understand it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #40228: Jul 23, 2019 04:17:45 pm
      Absolute daftness that Liverpool haven't bought anyone significant to keep people on their toes in the side.  Couple of injuries in key places and we're spannered in my opinion.

Yes we do have a great first XI, but we do not have a great second XI like Man City do and that's why they won four trophies last season.

With the new stadium, increase PL money finishing second etc, winning the Champions League with their new TV deal and the success of increased commercial partnerships and kit sales - LFC must be absolutely drowning in cash at this moment.

I'm not one for wanting transfers for no reason, but we quite clearly haven't bridged a gap to City's squad this summer.  I do think this summer was the time to strike while the iron was hot.

100%.
      Especially given that they have 6 world class options for 3 attacking positions,
      which is why LFC needs to invest up front this summer.

I'll be quite pissed off if we don't enhance our attacking options

It would be a massive gamble by the club.
      Obviously not easy, but surely the likes of Pepe or Sancho have to be on the radar.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40229: Jul 23, 2019 07:13:35 pm
      100%.
      Especially given that they have 6 world class options for 3 attacking positions,

Obviously not easy, but surely the likes of Pepe or Sancho have to be on the radar.

If so, we are doing a fantastic job of concealing it.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #40230: Jul 23, 2019 07:37:38 pm
      Rumor today is that Utd is close to signing Pepe. This is mostly via not so reliable outlets apart from Transfermarkt (fairly reliable IMO) who say that the scum will be selling Lukaku to Inter in order to fund Pepe's move.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #40231: Jul 23, 2019 08:24:36 pm
      Rather we get aubameyang over bambi on ice Pepe.
      we should get coutinho on loan or zaha and ryan sessegnon
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #40232: Jul 23, 2019 08:28:39 pm
      Absolute daftness that Liverpool haven't bought anyone significant to keep people on their toes in the side.  Couple of injuries in key places and we're spannered in my opinion.

Yes we do have a great first XI, but we do not have a great second XI like Man City do and that's why they won four trophies last season.

With the new stadium, increase PL money finishing second etc, winning the Champions League with their new TV deal and the success of increased commercial partnerships and kit sales - LFC must be absolutely drowning in cash at this moment.

I'm not one for wanting transfers for no reason, but we quite clearly haven't bridged a gap to City's squad this summer.  I do think this summer was the time to strike while the iron was hot.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts. We could get lucky with injuries again (we got them at positions we could over last season) this year and if so, we’ll probably be just fine but I also believe there is an opportunity here to really pull away from the chasing pack. We haven’t strung together 2 consecutive title challenges since we win it in 1990 (fool me I left school that year!) but this should be the year we do so.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #40233: Jul 23, 2019 08:43:55 pm
      Bit harsh,if the manager is being a total knobhead to you and you’ve done nothing really wrong(apart from not being Ronaldo)not much you can do apart from play golf😜.

What if it's Bale being the total knobhead?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #40234: Jul 23, 2019 08:45:58 pm
      Regarding Bale I would love to see us sign him but given the choice of ÂŁ200k taxable and play for us or ÂŁ1m tax free per week playing some easy zero pressure games in China I think I know what he'll go for.

Just imagine Bale playing for a whole season without getting injured!!

Never F***ing happening is it?

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #40235: Jul 23, 2019 09:56:31 pm
      What if it's Bale being the total knobhead?
      Fair point ,but, from the outside looking in it does look like Madrid are doing a job on him to get him out the door.
      Don’t think he’s ever agitated for a move.
      Always the model pro from what I’ve read regarding training etc.
      sh*t load of trophy’s in the bag.
      F**k knows must of shafted Zidanes sister👍
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #40236: Jul 23, 2019 10:03:06 pm
      So you think we will sell both VVD and Alisson for profit in a few years time? Plus if they were only in it for money why not sell Mane and Salah now, they are at peak value or certainly damned close to it.

This constant mistrust and bashing of the owners is extremely tedious especially after last summer where they invested so heavily.

It is stupid stupid money but how much money do you really need ?????.
      He must have what?,25/30 mill stashed away easily surely it gets to a point where you just think “right that’s enough for the rest of me and my family’s life”.
      Surely he must take a F**k off wage cut and get back to playing football.
      For what it’s worth I’d like him at Anfield bloody excellent player
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40237: Jul 23, 2019 11:07:45 pm
      Don’t think any team is ever good enough to not strengthen at least one area of their team during the summer, not to strengthen would suggest we have the perfect team with the perfect bench, which certainly isn’t the case. As it stands, 1st and 3rd have strengthened but so far, there is a case to be argued that we are potentially weakened with Moreno and Sturridge’s departures. Moreno is far from a good option but he was our only other actual LB. City despite getting near on 200 points in 2 seasons have strengthened to the extent we should be looking at - not breaking the bank and spending a lot on several players, just one player you would expect to be of first choice quality (Mahrez and Rodri). It’s all well and good saying Ox, Lallana, Brewster etc are like new players but one is injured again and the other two are on the back of incredibly serious injuries...not forgetting one is a complete unknown quantity too.

We don’t need to go mad but as mentioned above, we are potentially an injury or two away from being in a difficult situation.

We got 97 points last year, do I think it will happen again? No, not if we don’t capitalise on our position at the top of European football. We have a side capable of winning the league but as it stands, no matter how much some want to say “but we got 97 points and won the CL”...you don’t get a trophy for just getting 97 points if someone else gets more, it doesn’t make a difference if the gap is 1 point or 10 points because the outcome in terms of winning the league is the same.

Our biggest mistakes after the title push in 08/09 and 13 is that we didn’t strengthen and capitalise on our position, we can’t afford to do the same so whilst I have every confidence in Klopp, I would like to think something is going to happen in terms of bringing in a player that will allow us to go that one position higher and win the league because I don’t think we are good enough to not do it, nobody is.

Fair point ,but, from the outside looking in it does look like Madrid are doing a job on him to get him out the door.

Probably as bad as each other to be honest. The club are being as classy as ever and Bale, with his agent aren’t helping things with the stuff they are coming out with.
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2019 11:12:47 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #40238: Jul 24, 2019 12:38:25 am
      Bale’s in the bag. It’s the reason the Harvey Elliot deals gone quiet. Not enough room in the Melwood salon for the pair of them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40239: Jul 24, 2019 08:33:05 am
      It is stupid stupid money but how much money do you really need ?????.
      He must have what?,25/30 mill stashed away easily surely it gets to a point where you just think “right that’s enough for the rest of me and my family’s life”.
      Surely he must take a f**k off wage cut and get back to playing football.
      For what it’s worth I’d like him at Anfield bloody excellent player

I agree, there comes a point where you are set for life and should just work where you are appreciated and where you enjoy it, plus even ÂŁ200k a week is not to shabby. ;-)
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #40240: Jul 24, 2019 11:37:54 am
      https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-JĂźrgen-klopp-transfer-news-16634983

JĂźrgen on transfer to echo.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #40241: Jul 24, 2019 12:39:03 pm

An extract of his quotes.

EXCLUSIVE - JĂźrgen Klopp opens up on Liverpool's transfer policy and reveals the truth about new players
      “It's not easy,” says Klopp. “I said last year that to improve the team is not easy with reasonable money. With crazy money, you always can do it – okay, you pay whatever you want, then it's possible.

“We are not a club like that. We cannot do that. We are really wealthy but we cannot do what some other teams are doing. That's how it is.

“But we don't have to. We have to find solutions during the season. Yes, you find sometimes the solution in the transfer market and we have done that. I don't have to name the players, everybody knows.

“But otherwise you have to find the solutions on the training ground and that's what we do now.”

“We are still looking, but it will not be the (biggest) transfer window of LFC,” says Klopp. “It just will be a transfer window.

“We will see what we do, and if we haven't done anything by the end it will be for different reasons.

"It's about using this team. In the transfer window, you have to build a team that you think you want to go into the season with. But I have that team already.

“If we can bring somebody else in that makes it even better, we will see. But if not, this team is already there. And again we will have to find solutions at different moments.”

Klopp elaborates on that point. “We started last season with five centre-backs, Nat Phillips included," he adds. "Then there was one matchday against Brighton when there was Virgil van Dijk left. Fabinho next to him.

“Had one of them gone out, then I wouldn't have known who could do it. Who could play centre-back?

“You cannot be prepared for everything. You need a bit of luck, and we had a little bit of it in the final part of last season. We came through, won something, and now let's try again.”

“Transfer strategy has to be long term,” he says. “It has to be long term.

“Short term covers the problem, but doesn't solve it. If someone gets an injury, and you buy someone to fill the position and three weeks later the injured player is back, then you have double quality in the same position.

“Having too much quality doesn't help with the development of players. It's good for everybody on the outside, because they can say 'well if he can't play, then he can play or he could play'.

“If you're working together all week and then three of the players (of the same quality in the same position) can't play, they won't get any better. It's not just about them staying confident in that kind of situation.

“You have to create a situation where you NEED the player, you need the boys. That's what we try. We have 100% always long-term plans. That's what is really good about this football club.”

“Rhian Brewster, Joe Gomez, Adam Lallana, it's all clear. We have these players, now we have to use them.

“If they are playing, then good. If not, then they have to push the others. That's how it should be. That's how good squads work, and that's what we believe in.”
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #40242: Jul 24, 2019 12:56:26 pm
      I'll be quite pissed off if we don't enhance our attacking options

100%.

Seems like Klopp’s not prepared to go out and buy anyone hastily.

“Having too much quality doesn't help with the development of players. It's good for everybody on the outside, because they can say 'well if he can't play, then he can play or he could play'.

“If you're working together all week and then three of the players (of the same quality in the same position) can't play, they won't get any better. It's not just about them staying confident in that kind of situation.”
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40243: Jul 24, 2019 01:40:19 pm

“If you're working together all week and then three of the players (of the same quality in the same position) can't play, they won't get any better. It's not just about them staying confident in that kind of situation.”

Posted this on the JĂźrgen thread as well, but it really explains, in his own words, where we/he are coming from. The kind of harmony he creates with this approach does matter when it comes to the effort the players give on the park - which of course is essential to his style of play.

As far as this window, it seems to be his only real concern is depth at right and left back. It kind of seems like he is considering bringing someone in who can play either position. Now, Larouci may have given him pause as he has been very promising on the left (and hopefully is not out for too long). The right side is a concern as well because Clyne has not looked good at all - I mean like he's regressing even. Milner can play either side in an emergency (and Gomez on the left and Fabinho on the right)but of course they'd prefer to have him available for midfield duty. Hoever is promising but I wouldn't say he is ready to play right back with the first team with any kind of regularity yet - just a little too young.

If we do bring someone in, I suppose it will be next week.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #40244: Jul 24, 2019 02:23:53 pm

Yeah that certainly seems to be the case and having read that and seen some of his other quotes this summer it seems unlikely there will be much coming in. It’s not like the manager hasn’t earned the trust if the fans but I just hope he is right about the strength of what we have on the bench. Maybe this reflects the faith he has in  Brewster and perhaps young Wilson as well?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #40245: Jul 24, 2019 02:54:37 pm

If we do bring someone in, I suppose it will be next week.

Will have to be right? Doesn't the window close at beginning of August?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #40246: Jul 24, 2019 03:22:22 pm

Day before the season starts isn’t it?
      I think if we were bringing someone in of first team quality then he’d be here by now, often we take time to have new players adjust to how we play so it would be strange to sign someone so late and then try and integrate him into the team, surely Klopp would have wanted to utilise pre-season to at least make a start.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #40247: Jul 24, 2019 03:25:16 pm
      Day before the season starts isn’t it?
      I think if we were bringing someone in if first team quality then he’d be here by now, often we take time to have new players adjust to how we play so it would be strange to sign someone so late and then try and integrate him into the team, surely Klopp would have wanted to utilise pre-season to at least make a start.

Yep Thursday 8th @5pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40248: Jul 24, 2019 03:50:13 pm

Right. I meant more that it would be after the team returns home, but I guess that happens tomorrow.

Bascombe seems to think we are tracking a forward, but I thought we would go for a fullback.

I would think JĂźrgen would want someone in at least by the training camp at Evian. Here's a thought, if the player was involved in AFCON or Copa America,, he wouldn't have started until then anyway. Hmmmm. Get out those Brazil, Peru, Algeria and Senegal rosters, people!!!
      « Last Edit: Jul 24, 2019 03:54:45 pm by Robby The Z »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #40249: Jul 24, 2019 04:09:21 pm
      Yea, makes me think we aren't really in for anyone. It wouldn't surprise me if we weren't saving money this year and tracking a bigger fish (or two) for next summer.

Mbappe anyone?

Quick Reply