Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4213657 times
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 62 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #40411: Jul 27, 2019 04:31:40 pm
      Why not have an amazing front 4, what would happen to our current front 3 if one is injured for a few months?

Brewster, Lallana and Origi, all can play on the front line that's a fantastic 6 not to mention Shaq we have more than enough cover there imo.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40412: Jul 27, 2019 04:33:48 pm
      Iā€™m not saying there is no competition, Iā€™m saying the competition has been reduced. And by competition I mean for places in the team not between players who are - if fit - pretty much guaranteed to start.

Yes, in terms of diet nutrition and fitness the game has moved on enormously so things like drinking games are well and truly in the past - but in many other respects the game hasnā€™t changed at all.

If youā€™re Firmino / Salah / Mane and the club sign a top striker who you know will be competing for your place in the team, your professional pride will spur you on to do even better and to make sure that - if the new guy does make the starting eleven - it will be at the expense of one of the other two, not you. That was there in the 1970s, 1980s, and is still very much part of the game now - the top players want to be tested and challenged and increasing competition, in my view, does that.

Btw Iā€™m genuinely not trying to sound patronising and I apologise if thatā€™s how any of my earlier posts came across

So by a player leaving who was hardly ever fit, and a young, hungry player coming into the squad after having a great pre-season, competition has been reduced?
      It doesn't make sense to me.

Nor does the idea that players who always give 100% can be cajoled into giving more than is possible by the arrival of another player.

If a player has to be forced into doing his best by the idea that another player could take his place, then he shouldn't be at the club in the first place.
      This is why Klopp bought the players he has, and why they love to play for him and always give 100%
      How can a player give more than 100% ?

I'm saying that in the modern game, the idea that a player can give more than he is giving (at our club) by the arrival of some one else, is a lazy pundit trope, because our players constantly compete with each other in training, and give 100% every time they play.

Now if you want to point to form, which is another grey area because the best thing is for an attacker to play himself into form, then I'd disagree that our players give less than 100%

If you want to point to rest and rotation, then we can look at midfield, but understand that those players do most of the work, and our attackers do comparitively less.

We can't afford to have a player sat on the bench earning 200k, and realistically, it's only a player of that level who could improve our front 3, or even keep close the same level.

Most fatigue related injuries come in the last part of a game, and we're usually winning at that stage, and we've repeatedly seen Klopp bring off an attacker with 20 mins to go, send someone else on, change the shape, and keep battering away.

Again, I've said repeatedly that I think we need a couple more players, but they are not going to be top tier players whatever any of us think, and Klopp has been very clear about the reasons why, so this idea of "competition" immediately goes out of the window once you listen to, and understand what Klopp is saying.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #40413: Jul 27, 2019 04:47:28 pm

Give or take a few it's the same posters also.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #40414: Jul 27, 2019 04:49:48 pm
      Shame Klopp disagrees with you on Origi, the only times he played was if one of regular top 3 were injured, not even a loss of form for the front three was enough to tempt Klopp into starting him. Origi scored some crucial goals for us last season but do you really consider him at the same level as Mo, Sadio and Bobby, if not then that is where the problem is and why me and others want to see one more top forward signed to provide genuine competition and options in terms of rotation and impact player off the bench.

your a f***in idiot mate. Divok is cover and proved to be more than adequate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40415: Jul 27, 2019 05:14:47 pm
      Brewster, Lallana and Origi, all can play on the front line that's a fantastic 6 not to mention Shaq we have more than enough cover there imo.

Sorry but I disagree, Brewster is unproven plus only just back from big injury, Lallana is more injured than fit and Origi is simply not good enough, if he was then he would have started more games last season.
      Shaq is out of favour with JĆ¼rgen for some unknown reason.
      I agree we have a fantastic front three and that's about it, compared to all our competitors we have the fewest options in attack.
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 62 
      Reply #40416: Jul 27, 2019 05:24:29 pm
      Sorry but I disagree, Brewster is unproven plus only just back from big injury, Lallana is more injured than fit and Origi is simply not good enough, if he was then he would have started more games last season.
      Shaq is out of favour with JĆ¼rgen for some unknown reason.
      I agree we have a fantastic front three and that's about it, compared to all our competitors we have the fewest options in attack.

Wow how negative is that, Brewster as Klopp has said WILL play a part this season him lallana, Origi and Shaq would be starting every game outside of the top 4, so as back up to a world class top 3 it's amazing. No other team comes close with regards to forward line options, you must have been out in the sun to long.
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #40417: Jul 27, 2019 07:42:18 pm
      Hope we keep Wilson if not going buy anyone he not bad player lot better then injury Adam
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40418: Jul 27, 2019 08:07:45 pm
      Wow how negative is that, Brewster as Klopp has said WILL play a part this season him lallana, Origi and Shaq would be starting every game outside of the top 4, so as back up to a world class top 3 it's amazing. No other team comes close with regards to forward line options, you must have been out in the sun to long.

How many league games did Origi start last season, how about Lallana or even Sturridge, compare that to how often citeh started with their "benchwarmers".

BTW as regards our current forward backups yes I'm very negative as they aren't good enough and plenty of teams have a lot better options on the bench than we do.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #40419: Jul 27, 2019 10:12:29 pm
      How many league games did Origi start last season, how about Lallana or even Sturridge, compare that to how often citeh started with their "benchwarmers".

BTW as regards our current forward backups yes I'm very negative as they aren't good enough and plenty of teams have a lot better options on the bench than we do.

Your only looking at players starting in the first 11 & not taking the contribution they make regardless of what little playing time they have..
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #40420: Jul 27, 2019 11:18:08 pm
      Franck ribery ? Someone at l'equipe been on the old vin again
      rossyred

• 9,293 posts | 1664 
      Reply #40421: Jul 28, 2019 12:05:06 am
      So, we haven't replaced a LB who never played, and instead of, Klopp played Milner, and a player who hardly ever played because he was constantly injured, with one of the brightest prospects in the country, and you dismiss another player without whom we would not have won the European Cup.

Got it.
      .Got it ! No you havent I'm afraid
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 735 
      Reply #40422: Jul 28, 2019 04:04:30 am
      In conclusion:

Our owners want to run our club on a budget (which is fine)

Klopp has proven time and time again he can work with a budget.

However, after winning the champions league and finishing second. Itā€™s the ideal time to push on and improve the squad. To suggest that there werenā€™t moments last season where we were at the bare bones squad wise is totally disingenuous.

Last season when we got very good results away at Everton and united. Many on here MOANED about missing the chance to ā€˜make a statementā€™. This summer after winning a trophy was a similar chance to make a statement.

Someone who plays like Coutinho for example (no suggesting we actually get him) can play on both wings and also behind the front three. Would be a major asset to the first team.   

When u look at our fixtures over the Christmas period for example, to suggest any player would simply be ā€˜sitting on the benchā€™ ludicrous and pure hyperbole.

I genuinely hope I am proven wrong and Brewster, Wilson and possibly Kent really take to the first team.

I still think even with these guys. 1 more PROVEN attacking player would be ideal.

Some of yā€™all think Klopp doesnā€™t want anyone new (which I patently find incredibly hard to believe)

Some think the owners are budgeting after making huge investments in previous seasons (genuinely more likely)

If we are going to be on a budget we certainly have the best manager for the job.

Ultimately however, I think if we want to keep being up there. We may need owners who are ...how u say... RICHER!? Eventually

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #40423: Jul 28, 2019 09:53:00 am
      OX , Lovren, Joe Gomez, Lallana, Shaq, Naby, Divok, Milner, Brewster, these are players that were not considered first choice players either due to injury or otherwise that makes 20 including the "regular first team picks" add to that Migs as reserve keeper that leaves three places in the first team squad for development players ..That seems very much like a planned squad to me other than cover for Robbo .Its the strongest squad we have had for years and JĆ¼rgen seems more than content with it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #40424: Jul 28, 2019 10:08:38 am
      Manage what? Who have they bought that are replacing their starting players? Hazard? Is he replacing someone or is he an addition?

Juventus bought Ronaldo last year, a lot of good it did them, didnā€™t win CL and now they are looking to move Dybala.

Iā€™m all for buying exciting new players, but we arenā€™t going to be able to buy someone better than Salah, Bobby or Mane without throwing our wage structure completely out of whack.

I think people are confusing what I meant about locker room chemistry with competition. Competition is great, Iā€™m all for it, but some ā€œsuperstarsā€ come with some locker room baggage and Klopp isnā€™t having it. And how do we bring in an Mbappe and pay him 300k a week when none of our other established stars are making anywhere near that?

This isnā€™t football manager.

Who have they bought?

Just look at their squads and you can see for yourself!

You seem to be the only one mentioning Mbappe, there is other players available.

You ok with flagging the front 3 with another 50 odd games again this season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #40425: Jul 28, 2019 11:55:59 am
      Who have they bought?

Just look at their squads and you can see for yourself!

You seem to be the only one mentioning Mbappe, there is other players available.

You ok with flagging the front 3 with another 50 odd games again this season.

Doesnā€™t really matter if Iā€™m ok with it. Klopp is the one running things.

The other big teams have only really bought to fill holes, not for backup players which is what everyone seems to be advocating. All Iā€™m saying is good luck finding top talent that will sit on the bench and good luck finding players better than our front three that we wouldnā€™t have to pay HUGE amounts of money to for transfer fee and then wages which then throws our wage structure out of whack. Iā€™m not so sure why itā€™s so hard for people to understand. Yes we are more attractive to some players, but not necessarily for those that wouldnā€™t come here and start. Weā€™ve seen it time and again, Draxler, Pulisic, now Pepe apparently. At the end of the day, a lot of players donā€™t want to have to fight for a spot (Brandt) and want to have guaranteed playing time. With our squad we canā€™t offer that to anyone thatā€™s outside of the absolute top tier of players (Mbappe, Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, Hazard, etc....) because we already have top tier players.

And Klopp obviously thinks we have enough depth to spell our front three or he would be buying someone.

Iā€™d love to see us buy a top level striker but for the life of me Iā€™m not sure realistically who that would be?
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #40426: Jul 28, 2019 11:58:35 am
      Cover at LB is a serious concern for me. At least up top we have options to rotate.

At LB we are going to be utilizing Milner again, who isnā€™t a LB.

So much of our play comes from our full backs that I find it incredible that we are willing to rely entirely on Robbo not picking up an injury.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #40427: Jul 28, 2019 12:00:42 pm
      Just a quick question, without selling, and if we register every player, excluding Clyne, at present, how many spaces left do we have in a 25 man squad?
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2019 07:42:44 pm by Roddenberry »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40428: Jul 28, 2019 12:38:42 pm
      Just a quick question, without selling, and if we register every player, excluding Clyne, at present, hope many spaces do we have in a 25 man squad?

25?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40429: Jul 28, 2019 12:58:28 pm
      Cover at LB is a serious concern for me. At least up top we have options to rotate.

At LB we are going to be utilizing Milner again, who isnā€™t a LB.

So much of our play comes from our full backs that I find it incredible that we are willing to rely entirely on Robbo not picking up an injury.

We used Milner even when we had a LB.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40430: Jul 28, 2019 01:31:47 pm
      Just a quick question, without selling, and if we register every player, excluding Clyne, at present, hope many spaces do we have in a 25 man squad?

Good question. I started a thread about this last week. We are short of over 21 English players so probably will be short a spot or two from the 25, but a player could still be added if management had someone they wanted to bring in. I don't think that is stopping any transfer from happening.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #40431: Jul 28, 2019 02:48:11 pm
      We have lost Moreno and Sturridge and not replaced them .

So nothing too drastic then!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #40432: Jul 28, 2019 02:52:24 pm
      So will Pepe just sit on the bench at Arsenal, if not then why would he have done for us, how about if we signed Mbappe, would he also just sit on the bench or do you think we might ROTATE the forwards!

Hasn't Welbeck been fu**ed off by Emery, Ozil can hardly get a game. So Pepe will more than likely be starting games with Lacazette & Aubamayeng.

So go ahead tell us again how much time Pepe will spend on the bench at the Emirates.

You knee needs to stop knee-jerking too much kidda!! ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #40433: Jul 28, 2019 02:53:35 pm
      Why do we have more than 3 quality midfielders and more than  4 defenders yet only 3 forwards?

Because they were the problem areas were we seemed to have problems!!

Just a guess.

Quick Reply