Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4198564 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #41308: Jan 15, 2020 04:21:14 pm
      Lallana will be leaving in the Summer though and as much as I like Adam as a player Grealish is definitely an upgrade.

I'm not sure he is the type of player you simply plug into the rotation as a squad player though mate. You could argue that Lallana is our 5th or 6th choice midfielder. I don't think you spend the kind of money it would cost to get a player like Grealish just to upgrade on squad depth. I'm sure he will leave Villa but when he does it will be with the view of him being a regular starter at his new club. Either way I would not really see him fitting in at LFC. You only have to look at Minamino and the characteristics and skill-set he brings to the team. Has Klopp player written all over him. Not sure I could ever see Klopp buying a player quite like Grealish myself.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #41309: Jan 15, 2020 04:25:33 pm
      I completely understand your way of thinking and I agree with most of it. The only place we differ is how we rate Grealish. You see him as on par with Kieta, Ox, and Gini and I rate him higher than those guys. I love Hendo to death, but pretty soon we will need to find his replacement. I'd rather do it a year to early than a year to late

Henderson is only 29 (I think?) and it's not like his game is built on pace so I don't think he needs replacing (or a replacement) just yet. Milner just signed on another 2 years and Fabinho, Ox and Keita should all be hitting their peak years (if they can stay bloody fit!). If Jones continues to develop I think it's likely that he will step into Lallana's spot if Adam leaves at the end of the season.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41310: Jan 15, 2020 04:30:06 pm
      And I certainly don't see us breaking the bank for this kid when we have a dream starting 11. Could be wrong, you always have to prepare for the future, but it doesn't seem like Klopp is willing to spend huge unless it's an immediate need for an immediate world class level starter (Allison, Virgil).

AFCON moving back to it's original slot means Mane, Salah, Keita gone in January and February.
      That's a massive loss at a critical point of the season.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #41311: Jan 15, 2020 04:36:57 pm
      You think Jack Grealish is better than Gini Wijnaldum?

I think they're very comparable. Jack is a work horse whose ball skills are amazing, he holds the ball up really well and doesnt mind tracking back in deeper positions if they're having trouble getting the ball upfield. Jack's dead ball has been improving and obliviously he's contributing goals. However, I dont lose site that he is a big fish in a small pond.

Look. I love Gini and think his game doesnt get enough love outside of our fanbase. I hope we lock him for another term. He's a great Klopp midfielder who does a lot of the little things that make us great. However, I see Grealish and I see a guy who reminds me a lot of Gini with his skill set and I wonder..... If this is Jack before Klopp what would he look like after?

Unless Villa stay up he will be off in the summer and will cause a bidding war between the likes of United, City, Arsenal,  etc. We will look elsewhere and I have no doubt our moves will work out. Our scouting department obviously know what they're doing. I just like this kids game and see a lot of potential to grow in the future
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #41312: Jan 15, 2020 04:41:48 pm
      Henderson is only 29 (I think?) and it's not like his game is built on pace so I don't think he needs replacing (or a replacement) just yet. Milner just signed on another 2 years and Fabinho, Ox and Keita should all be hitting their peak years (if they can stay bloody fit!). If Jones continues to develop I think it's likely that he will step into Lallana's spot if Adam leaves at the end of the season.

Yeah, he's 30 in June.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #41313: Jan 15, 2020 04:45:16 pm
      AFCON moving back to it's original slot means Mane, Salah, Keita gone in January and February.
      That's a massive loss at a critical point of the season.

I just saw that. Definitely throws a wrench in things. Do you go buy a like for like attacker and then have to put someone on the bench for stretches? Do you rely on Shaq and Origi (and Minamino) and the kids?
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #41314: Jan 16, 2020 10:04:38 am
      I just saw that. Definitely throws a wrench in things. Do you go buy a like for like attacker and then have to put someone on the bench for stretches? Do you rely on Shaq and Origi (and Minamino) and the kids?

Confident that Shaq will be here next season? Think we'll try to recoup what we spent on him plus a bit more, knowing its Edwards! Jan & Feb next year, it'll be Bobby, Origi, Minamino, Brewster and possibly another attacking signing (Kai?) that Pearce was mentioning a week or so back. These boys have to stay injury free during the festive period. Massive 3 months those!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41315: Jan 16, 2020 11:06:58 am

I think there will be one major signing in the attacking positions and one or two leaving in attacking/midfield.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41316: Jan 16, 2020 11:15:32 am
      One of the criticisms of Shankly in his day was he was too loyal to players and didn't off load them early enough but if you expect loyalty you need to show it too. However I wonder if we will see a shake up in the summer thinking about losing 4 players in Jan is something you simply cant plan for and if we got injuries as well our season could be destroyed. 
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #41317: Jan 16, 2020 11:23:18 am
      One of the criticisms of Shankly in his day was he was too loyal to players and didn't off load them early enough but if you expect loyalty you need to show it too. However I wonder if we will see a shake up in the summer thinking about losing 4 players in Jan is something you simply cant plan for and if we got injuries as well our season could be destroyed.

Who is the fourth player? Matip doesn't play internationally anymore.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #41318: Jan 16, 2020 12:30:22 pm
      I completely understand your way of thinking and I agree with most of it. The only place we differ is how we rate Grealish. You see him as on par with Kieta, Ox, and Gini and I rate him higher than those guys. I love Hendo to death, but pretty soon we will need to find his replacement. I'd rather do it a year to early than a year to late

Fair enough. We probably differ in our opinions on whether Grealish is a possible replacement for Hendo. For me, it's not worth rocking the boat when Hendo is on top of his game and doing a fantastic job as a captain. I was Hendo's biggest critic, but his performance in past two years have convinced me.

However, if we are to directly replace Ox or Gini with Grealish, I would be persuaded, rather than bring him in whilst keeping the others. Not Keita though, I rate Keita very highly and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet.

I think overall, my point is that midfield is not the priority for me.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #41319: Jan 16, 2020 06:05:34 pm
      Fair enough. We probably differ in our opinions on whether Grealish is a possible replacement for Hendo. For me, it's not worth rocking the boat when Hendo is on top of his game and doing a fantastic job as a captain. I was Hendo's biggest critic, but his performance in past two years have convinced me.

However, if we are to directly replace Ox or Gini with Grealish, I would be persuaded, rather than bring him in whilst keeping the others. Not Keita though, I rate Keita very highly and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet.

I think overall, my point is that midfield is not the priority for me.

Completely down with all of that. Like you I was very hard on Hendo. And like you now I adore the guy and see him as one of the best at his position. In all honesty for me Grealish fits Ginis role more so than Hendo's. If we dont re up on Gini it may be the move to make, however, he's gonna be EXPENSIVE. I also like Kieta, and particularly him with the ball at his feet. If he can get a long run without injuries I think he will really show his worth. I also agree that midfield isn't the biggest worry for depth. With the AFCON cup moving back we need to invest upfront. We also need some cover at fullback
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #41320: Jan 16, 2020 07:28:53 pm
      I know he’s off to Inter almost imminently however Ericksen in my view on his day is a class act. Think Spuds are holding out for 17m he’s the finished article when compared to Grealish and Maddison.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41321: Jan 17, 2020 10:10:49 am
      not fit to lick Gini's boots. Some forget just how good Gini is at International level too something Grealish hasn't even experienced yet at senior level.
      Very few players from any team and certainly any top team would claim a spot in our first X1 that's how good we have become a player from a struggling team in the bottom of the Prem is way off the mark IMHO

Correct. Gini is so underrated.

Cant believe this is a serious convo btw. Grealish !?!?  theres way better players out there, hes nowwhere near our elite world champions level.

PS. why are fans trying to replace any of our MF, there all boss, and have plenty years in the tank, even the oldest guy Milner has another 2 or 3 years left.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41322: Jan 17, 2020 10:15:25 am
      ps. If Lallana \ Shaq leaves, Jones & Chiravela will take there place in the squad, no need to spend big.

Also Harry Wilson will be back, the lad has skills, just whether he can do it for us.

And then theres Marko Gruijc.

ruthcity

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #41323: Jan 17, 2020 10:18:00 am
      PS. why are fans trying to replace any of our MF, there all boss, and have plenty years in the tank, even the oldest guy Milner has another 2 or 3 years left.

Maybe because on their own they themselves are not marquee names. The midfield is boss collectively as a unit where their sum is higher than their individual parts. This is what Jürgen built it to be.

Marquee names are always sexy. Imagine a marquee name like Mbappe, Messi, CR7, Iniesta, etc... Sexy is always more preferred than hardworking soldiers to a certain category of fans.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41324: Jan 17, 2020 10:25:43 am
      Maybe because on their own they themselves are not marquee names. The midfield is boss collectively as a unit where their sum is higher than their individual parts. This is what Jürgen built it to be.

Marquee names are always sexy. Imagine a marquee name like Mbappe, Messi, CR7, Iniesta, etc... Sexy is always more preferred than hardworking soldiers to a certain category of fans.

Yea, defo. Still the Fifa PS4 fan out there wanting the big names. ;D

I can see naby & the ox playing more games going forward so long as they stay fit, also minamino plays in various positions, then start giving Jones and chiravela more game time, its easy to see we have plenty options already.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41325: Jan 17, 2020 11:39:00 am
      We clearly have a balance in this squad of characters who will work 100% for each other a "family" in many ways but one that doesn't fall out and argue all the time. I just don't see Jürgen buying a "big name" player who isn't going to become part of the family.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41326: Jan 17, 2020 12:17:53 pm
      Theres been lots written over past few weeks about how LFC's buying policy is to buy young quality hungry players.

Which tbf I can see why folk might think grealish fits that bill, but because he is english the fee would be ridiculous, so its a non starter, unless klopp really really wanted him.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #41327: Jan 17, 2020 01:02:28 pm
      but because he is english the fee would be ridiculous, so its a non starter

This. I wouldn't spend ridiculous fees in a position where we're already well stocked and balanced.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41328: Jan 17, 2020 01:24:23 pm
      I like him as a player but we don’t need another midfielder. Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Ox, Gino, Keita, Lallana and young Jones. We’ve got a bit everything there!

I'd have him as a Lallana/Shaq replacement, but not sure how keen he'd be starting most games on the bench.

I like the lad, I think he's a fine footballer, and has a great attitude.
      Still only 24 as well, so ripe for being Klopped.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #41329: Jan 17, 2020 01:48:18 pm

You made that sound very creepy  :o
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41330: Jan 17, 2020 02:06:33 pm
      You made that sound very creepy  :o