Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179611 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #41446: Jan 28, 2020 05:36:12 pm
      quickly checks out our league and CL status and looks like we have clicked OK
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41447: Jan 28, 2020 05:38:44 pm
      quickly checks out our league and CL status and looks like we have clicked OK

How many of our wins have been last minute and how many narrow 1 goal wins, the point is that there is room for improvement and all teams should always look to improve.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41448: Jan 28, 2020 06:22:40 pm
      Salah has clearly been poorer this season. In his first season he was exceptional. In the second one, he has been world class but has dropped a bit. This season he is not even close to the level of the top strikers we have in the PL. Sterling, Vardy, Mane, Aguero, Aubameyang have been much much better than him.

I think we need a new striker to give him proper competition and to be able to rest any of the three when needed.

Again, I don't think he has.
      He now has at least 2 players on him when he gets the ball, something that didn't happen in his first season.
      He misses a few, but he also did that in his first season, and last season.

One on one he's as good as anyone.

This is a bit of a myth for me.
      People were saying the same thing last season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #41449: Jan 28, 2020 06:27:33 pm
      Again, I don't think he has.
      He now has at least 2 players on him when he gets the ball, something that didn't happen in his first season.
      He misses a few, but he also did that in his first season, and last season.

One on one he's as good as anyone.

This is a bit of a myth for me.
      People were saying the same thing last season.

I don't see much difference either mate. The only thing I would say is that he doesnt appear to be shooting from distance as much this season as he did previously. Those shots when he cuts in from the left and curls at the far post.

Still fancy him to finish with 20 league goals by the time May comes around.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41450: Jan 28, 2020 06:44:57 pm
      I don't see much difference either mate. The only thing I would say is that he doesnt appear to be shooting from distance as much this season as he did previously. Those shots when he cuts in from the left and curls at the far post.

I've been looking at that for a while mate and it appears to my untrained eye that behind the marker/tackler, the oppositions have used a strategy of another player to close off that angle.
      You see him cut in, look up, then go again because the path is blocked.
      It appears to me to be a tactic inside the box, and when he's around the edge of the area, where there's a player behind or (outside) a flat line to deny him the space to get the shot through.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #41451: Jan 28, 2020 07:58:42 pm

i have noticed that the defenders dont let him take a shot with his left, they try to force him to go out rather then cutting in. That cut ins and curl shots from last season arent there because the defenders know him.

In my humble opinion, people are overreatcting. its the same arguments we have seen before. Stevie isnt good anymore, Xabi isnt good as he used too, suarez is selfish and misses too much.

Mo is 15 goals and 8 assists, thats not bad in my book.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #41452: Jan 29, 2020 08:26:01 am
      I'm pretty sure it's because teams have changed how they play us, and nothing to do with players "levels".

Spot on.

So they either need to evolve or we need to freshen it up.

And also spot on.

I think Klopp will freshen it up with more creativity, teams now are so sh*t scared of us if they play that barring a few that have a go they tend to sit deep and let us have the ball and its tough for the likes of Salah, mane and Bobby to find the space they had a few seasons ago.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #41453: Jan 29, 2020 12:59:22 pm
      Hard to argue with this, Salah is certainly not the same striker, in terms of finishing, as he was the first or even second season.

Not sure I agree mate, he's not as prolific as previous two seasons but teams generally set up to defend against us and get 2/3 players onto him as soon as he gets anywhere near the box. Bobby's winner against Wolves was a good case - Salah had three defenders onto him and ball finally falls to Bobby whilst Salah keeps others busy. It's a sign of his class that he still manages to come up with some pretty fine finishes - looks to be on set to hit 20+ again.

It's also a testament to the system Klopp has set up - it's not a coincidence in my opinion that we have one of the front three coming up with a winner almost every game now. It's less about form and more about the system. There is a lot of supply from the full backs and there is no way opposition can put two players onto each of the front three. We're not as prolific as some other teams, but they sacrifice midfield defensive set up for more attacking creativity. Our midfield is designed primarily to protect CBs giving FBs a free reign.

I have absolutely no complaints, we're still creating a lot of chances and that record of one draw only is unbelievable. I do agree there is always room for improvement, and for me that is to bring in young but potential world class competition to keep things fresh. Only ready made world class player I would consider bringing in would be Mbappe, who seems to have a top attitude and a selfless drive - unlike the other over-priced pr*ck in that team.

Salah for me is doing an incredible job though mate.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41454: Jan 29, 2020 01:58:04 pm
      Not sure I agree mate, he's not as prolific as previous two seasons but teams generally set up to defend against us and get 2/3 players onto him as soon as he gets anywhere near the box. Bobby's winner against Wolves was a good case - Salah had three defenders onto him and ball finally falls to Bobby whilst Salah keeps others busy. It's a sign of his class that he still manages to come up with some pretty fine finishes - looks to be on set to hit 20+ again.

It's also a testament to the system Klopp has set up - it's not a coincidence in my opinion that we have one of the front three coming up with a winner almost every game now. It's less about form and more about the system. There is a lot of supply from the full backs and there is no way opposition can put two players onto each of the front three. We're not as prolific as some other teams, but they sacrifice midfield defensive set up for more attacking creativity. Our midfield is designed primarily to protect CBs giving FBs a free reign.

I have absolutely no complaints, we're still creating a lot of chances and that record of one draw only is unbelievable. I do agree there is always room for improvement, and for me that is to bring in young but potential world class competition to keep things fresh. Only ready made world class player I would consider bringing in would be Mbappe, who seems to have a top attitude and a selfless drive - unlike the other over-priced pr*ck in that team.

Salah for me is doing an incredible job though mate.

Sorry to pick out just a couple of bits from a good post, but for me this gets to the heart of the matter.

I reckon TAA gets nowhere near the amount of assists, if the oppositions left side players are not all piling onto Salah, leaving TAA plenty of time and space to pick a pass or cross.

The same happens with Mane on our left, but to a slightly lesser extent, which shows that opposition managers consider Salah the greater threat.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #41455: Jan 30, 2020 09:37:18 am
      Its statement like this "and there's literally no other front 3 out there currently who are as dangerous as we are" which irritate me a bit. Clearly the Man City front three is more potent as they have scored more goals than us, what has been saving us for a lot of games this season is our rock solid defence and amazing team ethic and will to win.

Yet we're top having won more games. Go figure!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41456: Jan 30, 2020 10:43:36 am
      Yet we're top having won more games. Go figure!!

There is no yet, I explained why we are top, our defence and team ethic.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #41457: Jan 30, 2020 11:38:15 am

Its everything. Attack, midfield, defence, keeper. City may have more goals by smashing the sh*te in the league for 4s and 5s, but when theyve needed a goal to win by 1 have failed to do it.

This team always finds a way, and our way results in less goals conceded and more wins as a result.

We defend from the front and we dont have flair players like the Silvas and De Bruynes in midfield. What we do have though is a midfield that controls every game we play. Including against them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #41458: Jan 30, 2020 01:23:34 pm

No, we are top because we’ve scored more winning goals. Simple.

It’s down to the entire team, we went about 11 games without a clean sheet and with plenty of 2-1 wins, that’s hardly down to purely the defence is it.

The keeper, the defence, the midfield and the attack are all the reason why we are top. The defending starts from the forwards and the attacking starts from the back.

All well and good saying City have a better attack because they’ve scored more goals. Only just ahead of us and it’s stats heavily skewed by an 8-0 win.
      Leicester had more goals scored than us and less conceded at one point, again skewed by a 9-0 win. Or does that that mean their defence and attack was better than ours?
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2020 01:27:43 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #41459: Jan 30, 2020 02:38:21 pm

It’s down to the entire team, we went about 11 games without a clean sheet and with plenty of 2-1 wins, that’s hardly down to purely the defence is it.

The keeper, the defence, the midfield and the attack are all the reason why we are top. The defending starts from the forwards and the attacking starts from the back.

All well and good saying City have a better attack because they’ve scored more goals. Only just ahead of us and it’s stats heavily skewed by an 8-0 win.
      Leicester had more goals scored than us and less conceded at one point, again skewed by a 9-0 win. Or does that that mean their defence and attack was better than ours?

Good post.

Just to add, and I know you know this, none of it happens without the manager.

So are we transferring anybody in this summer?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #41460: Jan 30, 2020 03:06:06 pm
      Its statement like this "and there's literally no other front 3 out there currently who are as dangerous as we are" which irritate me a bit. Clearly the Man City front three is more potent as they have scored more goals than us, what has been saving us for a lot of games this season is our rock solid defence and amazing team ethic and will to win.
      To say our front three can't do better is a bit silly when most neutral observers point to the fact that we don't seem as potent this year as in other seasons, now does that really matter, well obviously not so far, but is there room for improvement yes absolutely.

There is not a single player in the City front 3 that I'd swap for Mane, Firmino or Salah.
      Their contributions to the team's game go far beyond their goals and assists.
      Even if you used only those metrics I wouldn't swap Salah for anyone.

Sancho in the summer? Absolutely.
      At the cost of shipping out Salah? No chance.

Origi, Shaqiri might find they move on though.
      A interchangeable front 4 of Mane, Firmino, Salah & Sancho.
      That would be the next level.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #41461: Jan 30, 2020 03:37:52 pm
      Bild saying Leverkeusen are awaiting a bid from us for Havertz. Not likely if he’s going to cost north of £130m

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41462: Jan 30, 2020 05:24:57 pm

Just means we haven't had an 8-0 win, yet! 😊
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41463: Jan 30, 2020 05:27:50 pm
      There is not a single player in the City front 3 that I'd swap for Mane, Firmino or Salah.
      Their contributions to the team's game go far beyond their goals and assists.
      Even if you used only those metrics I wouldn't swap Salah for anyone.

Sancho in the summer? Absolutely.
      At the cost of shipping out Salah? No chance.

Origi, Shaqiri might find they move on though.
      A interchangeable front 4 of Mane, Firmino, Salah & Sancho.
      That would be the next level.

I'd take Sterling and Aguero in a heartbeat, as good as Mane and Salah are I think those 2 are better in every respect, but then it's a bit hard to judge as City play a more direct style to us.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #41464: Jan 30, 2020 05:39:12 pm
      I'd take Sterling and Aguero in a heartbeat, as good as Mane and Salah are I think those 2 are better in every respect, but then it's a bit hard to judge as City play a more direct style to us.
      You would seriously take Stirling over Mane , ?
      That’s what’s great about football differing opinions , but there’s not a snow balls chance in hell it take that arm flapping git over Mane
      Nooooo wayyyyy .
      I also think Salah does a lot more work for the team in general than Agüero does for his .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41465: Jan 30, 2020 05:52:21 pm
      You would seriously take Stirling over Mane , ?
      That’s what’s great about football differing opinions , but there’s not a snow balls chance in hell it take that arm flapping git over Mane
      Nooooo wayyyyy .
      I also think Salah does a lot more work for the team in general than Agüero does for his .

Oh don't misunderstand, I don't like Sterling or Aguero but I think they are a little bit better, not much in it though and Salah, Bobby and Mane are fantastic.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #41466: Jan 30, 2020 07:10:45 pm
      Bild saying Leverkeusen are awaiting a bid from us for Havertz. Not likely if he’s going to cost north of £130m

Definitely need to break our transfer record. Not at all likely, yep! Strongly believe we'll continue our tradition of nabbing a gem from one of the relegated teams and get Emi Buendia from Norwich, esp with Shaq and Lallana leaving. A left footed attacking mid, great on the ball and better off it, he ticks the boxes just like Takumi. In fact, I think Takumi and Emi will be our back-up inverted forwards for next season, with possibly Werner added to the attack.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #41467: Jan 30, 2020 07:22:31 pm

For all the hype about Sterling. He has about 1 goal in near on 10 games and is far from first choice now. His performances have massively dropped to way below the level our lads have been at. Mahrez has virtually taken his place.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #41468: Jan 30, 2020 07:48:05 pm
      Oh don't misunderstand, I don't like Sterling or Aguero but I think they are a little bit better, not much in it though and Salah, Bobby and Mane are fantastic.

Clueless  :mad:

Quick Reply