Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4205766 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #41883: Jul 02, 2020 11:54:46 pm
      Reports saying Thiago might be on ?

Doesn’t seem like a signing we’d make; he’s 29 and we are stacked in midfield. Granted he’d bring something different to what we already have.

Only way I can see it happening is if we are letting someone go. Gini would probably be the automatic assumption given his contract.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41884: Jul 03, 2020 12:04:38 am
      Skeptical about the crowd reporting it. Also think if we are to make a signing this summer midfield would be the last of our worries.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #41885: Jul 03, 2020 12:08:48 am
      Skeptical about the crowd reporting it. Also think if we are to make a signing this summer midfield would be the last of our worries.

Not if it's to replace someone Naby or Gini? Probably bullshit but remember watching him a few times thinking very good technically doesnt  seem like an FSG signing though
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #41886: Jul 03, 2020 12:18:17 am
      Thiago seems a strange one.

I mean he's pure quality and I wouldn't say no but he will be 30 next season so past his prime now.

Also he essentially plays the same position as Naby.

Unless he's coming in to replace Gini which could be a possibility.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41887: Jul 03, 2020 12:20:22 am
      Not if it's to replace someone Naby or Gini? Probably bullshit but remember watching him a few times thinking very good technically doesnt  seem like an FSG signing though
      I’d rather Gini signed the new deal to extend his contract than sign him
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #41888: Jul 03, 2020 12:40:40 am

Well it depends.

If you are taking about technical ability then Thaigo is a far superior player. He is also quite good defensively and has a good engine. On the other hand he is much more injury prone than Gini and the last thing we need is another injury prone player in the squad.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #41889: Jul 03, 2020 11:19:47 am
      Agree on Thiago. A pure joy to watch but he's close to 30 and we're already stacked in midfield.

No doubt he'd add a tonne of creativity to our midfield against teams that sit back though.

EDIT: This is the 'head of sport' at the BILD in response to the rumours:

https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/1278965568436133888
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #41890: Jul 03, 2020 11:52:48 am
      Agree on Thiago. A pure joy to watch but he's close to 30 and we're already stacked in midfield.

No doubt he'd add a tonne of creativity to our midfield against teams that sit back though.

EDIT: This is the 'head of sport' at the BILD in response to the rumours:

https://twitter.com/cfbayern/status/1278965568436133888

It only makes sense if Jürgen knows Gini is leaving.

In which case I would be all for it as he is a similar profile but better player.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41891: Jul 03, 2020 12:04:47 pm

I love you Swab, a man after my own bawbag 😂 😂 😂

:lmao:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #41892: Jul 04, 2020 12:00:56 am

Why when he is better ?
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41893: Jul 04, 2020 09:39:45 am
      Last couple of seasons Gini has been one of the best midfielders in the world. Thiago didn’t stand out against us in the champions league in either leg last season or vs Madrid in the semi final second leg the season before. Also, I hear enough about keita’s injury record and thiagos is as bad!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41894: Jul 04, 2020 09:55:03 am
      Last couple of seasons Gini has been one of the best midfielders in the world. Thiago didn’t stand out against us in the champions league in either leg last season or vs Madrid in the semi final second leg the season before. Also, I hear enough about keita’s injury record and thiagos is as bad!

I'm sorry, I like Gini a lot, but he really isn't one of the best in the world unless that is a list of the top 50 best in the world. I'd say just at our club Hendo and  Fabinho are better than him, yes slightly different roles, but still midfielders. Then you have Fernandes at Man Utd plus Pogba if he can be bothered to play, at City take your pick but especially De Bruyne and the Silva's, plus Fernandinhio and Gundoghan. Chelsea Kante and that's just in the Prem.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41895: Jul 04, 2020 10:58:01 am
      I'm sorry, I like Gini a lot, but he really isn't one of the best in the world unless that is a list of the top 50 best in the world. I'd say just at our club Hendo and  Fabinho are better than him, yes slightly different roles, but still midfielders. Then you have Fernandes at Man Utd plus Pogba if he can be bothered to play, at City take your pick but especially De Bruyne and the Silva's, plus Fernandinhio and Gundoghan. Chelsea Kante and that's just in the Prem.
      How many of them have outperformed Gini in the past few seasons ?? De bruyne yes kante yes. Pogba good one, Fernandes let’s not pretend we knew who he was until he was linked to us last summer.
      Short memories because he’s been below par since the restart.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41896: Jul 04, 2020 11:02:30 am
      he’s been below par since the restart

He’s below par before every restart. Anytime we have more than a week without a game, International duty for example, he’s then crap for the next 4 or 5 games before playing well again. It’s the biggest thing that pisses me off about him; he will leave us in damn good form to go play for his country, he will score a couple of goals and continue his form with Holland but then days later playing for us he’s more of a hindrance than anything. Been like it the entire time he’s been one of our players.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41897: Jul 04, 2020 11:04:48 am
      He’s below par before every restart. Anytime we have more than a week without a game, International duty for example, he’s then crap for the next 4 or 5 games before playing well again. It’s the biggest thing that pisses me off about him; he will leave us in damn good form to go play for his country, he will score a couple of goals and continue his form with Holland but then days later playing for us he’s more of a hindrance than anything. Been like it the entire time he’s been one of our players.

Hate the wijnaldum for Holland vs the wijnaldum for Liverpool comparison, he plays two very different roles for club and country, which is another testament to how brilliant he is!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41898: Jul 04, 2020 11:57:34 am
      Hate the wijnaldum for Holland vs the wijnaldum for Liverpool comparison, he plays two very different roles for club and country, which is another testament to how brilliant he is!

Sorry but I disagree, if we as a team are to make the next step up and yes there is still room for improvement, then we need midfielders who score more goals, Gini simply isn't that player, nor is Hendo or Fabinho really. Now a bit of that is of course how Klopp sets them up, but they still all get a decent number of chances every game but very rarely threaten goal, and yes I know Fabinho scored a screamer against Palace but that's the exception rather than the rule. Gini for me is quite a frustrating player because he out of all three of them should be scoring more, just notice how much more danger we pose when Keita plays, but then Keita isn't as good at other aspects of the game, like breaking up play, counter pressing etc.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41899: Jul 04, 2020 01:27:21 pm

It’s not where he plays I’m interested in and I’m not comparing that, I was saying how his form when leaving for international duty is always significantly better than his form when he’s back playing for us. Nothing to do with where he plays.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41900: Jul 04, 2020 03:15:12 pm
      It’s not where he plays I’m interested in and I’m not comparing that, I was saying how his form when leaving for international duty is always significantly better than his form when he’s back playing for us. Nothing to do with where he plays.

Think you’re exaggerating it a small bit but I do recognise he came back from international break and was off it vs United at OT and likewise post lockdown however I can’t think of other examples
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41901: Jul 04, 2020 03:17:16 pm
      if we as a team are to make the next step up and yes there is still room for improvement, then we need midfielders who score more goals

You’ll be disgusted to know so that Thiago has only 3 goals this season. Not exactly Lampard Gerrard or Yaya Toure now is he
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #41902: Jul 04, 2020 04:50:42 pm
      Wijnaldum is an underrated midfielder and even more underrated player, but he is also not Top 10 midfielders or something like that.

One thing some people seem to be missing about our midfield is that when Ox and Keita are not playing, this is mainly a pressing midfield. They are not on the pitch to score or create this much. They are good at pressing, winning back the ball, and moving it to our two main creators which are Robbo and TAA.

This is why it made sense for us to go and get Keita as well as Ox. They bring creativity and can both carry the ball deep in the opposition's half which is something that Hendo and Wijnaldum can't really do (not mentioning Fab because he plays centrally as a DM).

It is unfortunate that Ox and Keita both have been sidelined most of the time since joining. You can see that Keita can be a very good addition when he plays well, but it's been so frustrating because every time he picks up some momentum he gets injured.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41903: Jul 04, 2020 06:29:37 pm
      Think you’re exaggerating it a small bit but I do recognise he came back from international break and was off it vs United at OT and likewise post lockdown however I can’t think of other examples

No I’m not. It’s nearly every international break for the last few years.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41904: Jul 04, 2020 10:17:02 pm
      No I’m not. It’s nearly every international break for the last few years.
      I’ll look out for it next season..
      Ryreb
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 119 posts | 24 
      Reply #41905: Jul 06, 2020 02:19:08 pm
      General question for the board.  If you had control of the situation, how would you approach this summer window?

I would love to be able to land Sancho or Havertz at discounted price due to the virus but I do not see that happening.

Because of this, I’d like to see is look for as many young players as we can and either loan them back out or send to the academy. If even 1 of 4 pan out it would be a good investment.  I’d also look for quality players on regulated clubs like we have done in the past.

Quick Reply