Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4199823 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: General Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #41975: Jul 09, 2020 03:07:03 pm
      Wouldn't we have the same issue with Raul? He only ever played up the middle so it would limit the roation options.

Jimenez is often moving out to a wide position with Jota moving central. He also drops right back like Bobby does. As far as a replacement for Bobby goes, IMO Jimenez is as close as you can get.

Werner obviously seems like the ideal one but his game is slightly different, his is more like Salah and Mane because he doesn’t have the defensive work rate that Bobby and Jimenez have.

Found myself watching Wolves play a lot over the last couple of seasons and I was surprised at the level of versatility Jimenez has.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41976: Jul 09, 2020 04:16:36 pm
      What the flying f**k is that supposed to mean?  :lmao:

Trigger alert, trigger alert!!!!

Its simply the fact that he plays for Norway and unless you have a peculiar fascination with watching second rate international matches or have Bournemouth as your second favourite team then I wager I've watched him play more than you have and the lad is good, he'd be a distinct upgrade on Origi if our funds are really tight, perhaps we could even do a swap deal.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #41977: Jul 09, 2020 04:44:37 pm
      Trigger alert, trigger alert!!!!

Its simply the fact that he plays for Norway and unless you have a peculiar fascination with watching second rate international matches or have Bournemouth as your second favourite team then I wager I've watched him play more than you have and the lad is good, he'd be a distinct upgrade on Origi if our funds are really tight, perhaps we could even do a swap deal.

Ok fair enough I misread your comment.

No I haven't seen him play for Norway but who the f**k cares about international performances I've seen enough of him in the PL to know he would not suit our style of play.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41978: Jul 09, 2020 09:06:38 pm
      Ok fair enough I misread your comment.

No I haven't seen him play for Norway but who the f**k cares about international performances I've seen enough of him in the PL to know he would not suit our style of play.

Fair enough
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #41979: Jul 09, 2020 10:44:59 pm
      I think Sarr or St Maxin (sp?), could be trained and be good backups to Salah and Mane, and be relatively cheap.

At centre back, as mentioned previously Ake or Mings would be a good replacement for Lovren. There are bargains to be had to improve the squad depth.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #41980: Jul 10, 2020 01:29:12 am
      Jimenez is often moving out to a wide position with Jota moving central. He also drops right back like Bobby does. As far as a replacement for Bobby goes, IMO Jimenez is as close as you can get.

Werner obviously seems like the ideal one but his game is slightly different, his is more like Salah and Mane because he doesn’t have the defensive work rate that Bobby and Jimenez have.

I think we need is a player more like Salah/Mane who can provide pacey to give the us that long ball open to open things up plus we got Minamino who by the looks of it could fill in the role for Firmino through the middle.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #41981: Jul 10, 2020 08:13:29 am
      I think we need is a player more like Salah/Mane who can provide pacey to give the us that long ball open to open things up plus we got Minamino who by the looks of it could fill in the role for Firmino through the middle.

I agree with this, the Bobby role I think we have ok'ish cover for now with Minamino and even Ox, we need a good wing forward who can play on either flank.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #41982: Jul 10, 2020 10:06:33 am
      I agree with this, the Bobby role I think we have ok'ish cover for now with Minamino and even Ox, we need a good wing forward who can play on either flank.

Looks like Klopp is trying to see if Ox can play the wide forward position but anytime I've see him play there he has been poor.

He also appears to have lost a yard of pace since returning from his knee injury.

Sarr and St Maximin were mentioned on here I think both are potential good shouts for the wide forward positions. I think Klopp could make top players out of them with their attributes.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #41983: Jul 10, 2020 10:11:44 am
      I wonder if Hendo is injured for the start of the season will Klopp be tempted to sign Thiago?

Although we do still have sufficient cover until he returns so maybe not.

Wouldn't be surprised if Thiago goes to Arsenal they are the only PL team light in midfield that can afford his salary.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #41984: Jul 10, 2020 10:14:09 am
      Seeing the likes of Joshua King and a few others being thrown about I can't help but think we really missed the boat on letting Danny Ings go. Transferwise we've been spot on the last few years in terms of both ingoings and outgoings but this is the only deal I can think of recently where we've had our kecks pulled down. £18M and he's still only 27 years old - English too which helps towards the quota. Wonder what he'd be worth now off the back of the last 18 months or so? Got to be looking around the £50M mark
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41985: Jul 10, 2020 12:02:36 pm
      I wonder if Hendo is injured for the start of the season will Klopp be tempted to sign Thiago?

I’ve been thinking that, think that’s the only way we would end up signing him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41986: Jul 10, 2020 12:07:03 pm
      Seeing the likes of Joshua King and a few others being thrown about I can't help but think we really missed the boat on letting Danny Ings go. Transferwise we've been spot on the last few years in terms of both ingoings and outgoings but this is the only deal I can think of recently where we've had our kecks pulled down. £18M and he's still only 27 years old - English too which helps towards the quota. Wonder what he'd be worth now off the back of the last 18 months or so? Got to be looking around the £50M mark

The other side of that, is how much could we realistically expect for a player with his injury history?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #41987: Jul 10, 2020 12:11:28 pm
      I’ve been thinking that, think that’s the only way we would end up signing him.

I mean we literally have 5 midfielders that can do Jordan’s job if needed. I don’t think we will panic buy if Jordan misses a little time.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #41988: Jul 10, 2020 12:56:14 pm
      we've had our kecks pulled down. £18M and he's still only 27 years old - English too which helps towards the quota.

Not sure about that. He’d played 25 times and had 4 goals in 3 years, even the season he was  on loan at Saints he was far from prolific with just 8 goals in 25 games, whilst still getting injuries. He’s having a boss season and the best season of his career, whether he can sustain it into next season and beyond that is the next step for him. Lots of players have had a season like he’s having and it’s turned out to be nothing more than 1 great season.

So I don’t think we can feel we’ve got the worse end of the deal at all. I’d say given his age, injury record and ability it was a fair price for both teams.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #41989: Jul 10, 2020 01:00:12 pm
      The other side of that, is how much could we realistically expect for a player with his injury history?

Of course at the time it seemed a good decision to cash him in for £18M given his injuries, I don't think anybody would have argued with that.

Now add in the benefit of hindsight, he's a 27 year old English centre forward who has been relatively injury free for 2-3 years and is about to finish a season with 20+ goals. Be certainly worth a lot more than £18M
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41990: Jul 10, 2020 01:18:54 pm
      Of course at the time it seemed a good decision to cash him in for £18M given his injuries, I don't think anybody would have argued with that.

Now add in the benefit of hindsight, he's a 27 year old English centre forward who has been relatively injury free for 2-3 years and is about to finish a season with 20+ goals. Be certainly worth a lot more than £18M

Absolutely, and those of us who watched him could see there was a player there if he remained injury free and got a run of games.
      I don't think his talent was ever in doubt, and it was a great gesture by the club the way they dealt with the situation i.e. a loan, then option to buy at a good price.

Point is, I don't think we had our kecks pulled down, I think we just did the right thing by/for the player, which could do us plenty of good in the long run.
      Of course, it wasn't all about altruism, but from a PR perspective, it was good stuff.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #41991: Jul 10, 2020 01:36:50 pm
      Absolutely, and those of us who watched him could see there was a player there if he remained injury free and got a run of games.
      I don't think his talent was ever in doubt, and it was a great gesture by the club the way they dealt with the situation i.e. a loan, then option to buy at a good price.

Point is, I don't think we had our kecks pulled down, I think we just did the right thing by/for the player, which could do us plenty of good in the long run.
      Of course, it wasn't all about altruism, but from a PR perspective, it was good stuff.

Fair shout
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #41992: Jul 11, 2020 08:43:32 pm
      I’m not quite sure he’s Liverpool quality yet/at this moment, but I’ve watched him quite a few times and I’m impressed with Trossard from Brighton. Young, skillful and has a nose for goal out in the wing. Just have a feeling he’ll be part of a bigger team soon. Not super pacey, but sometimes we need creative minds to break through teams (like Burnley).
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41993: Jul 12, 2020 06:24:03 pm
      I’m not quite sure he’s Liverpool quality yet/at this moment, but I’ve watched him quite a few times and I’m impressed with Trossard from Brighton. Young, skillful and has a nose for goal out in the wing. Just have a feeling he’ll be part of a bigger team soon. Not super pacey, but sometimes we need creative minds to break through teams (like Burnley).

We didn't have an issue breaking through Burnley.

We had an issue taking the chances we created, and a top keeper in fine form playing a blinder.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #41994: Jul 15, 2020 12:09:05 pm
      Would like if we signed Weston McKennie from Shalke. Only 21 and very talented apparently he's available for only £20 million which is a real bargain.

I think he would be a perfect long term replacement for Gini or Hendo.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #41995: Jul 15, 2020 10:28:51 pm
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #41996: Jul 15, 2020 11:42:07 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #41997: Jul 16, 2020 12:08:07 am

Although we do still have sufficient cover until he returns so maybe not.

Wouldn't be surprised if Thiago goes to Arsenal they are the only PL team light in midfield that can afford his salary.

Please I hope Hendo is fit at the start of the Season. He really is the cog that makes us work so well. The last two games, no way we drop any points with him leading us!

Quick Reply