Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4208230 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #43401: Jan 03, 2021 04:52:26 pm
      Difficult to say, personally id like him to stay as I still maintain he's world class when he wants to play. Biggest problem is that tw*t of a agent as he has his own hidden agenda and just milks every transfer he's involved in.

Asked me 3/4 months ago I'd of had Sancho over Grealish. However, that has now changed, it's Grealish. This year (( espically since signing new contract )) he's arguably got better. Has more to offer too. He terrorised our defence the other day, that may not be saying much as always stated its the weakest link of our team and need 2/3 additions to become championship contenders with you guys and City.

Grealish can play both flanks better than Sancho as he prefers playing on the right and not as consistent on the left. I still can't get out of my head when Sancho plays for England he never appears to be outstanding and 100 million + seems to much.

It's possible Grealish may well be less, when I now consider him a better player I'd snap him up if he does intend/want to leave Villa in the next two windows.

Pogba was world class the other day, for sure. But, it was the first day of the January window, so...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #43402: Jan 03, 2021 04:54:51 pm
      Pogba was world class the other day, for sure. But, it was the first day of the January window, so...

And that's his problem, he does it when he wants to.  :f_doh:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #43403: Jan 03, 2021 04:55:58 pm

Jesus mate he was decent enough go easy with the "world class" plaudits.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #43404: Jan 03, 2021 04:59:38 pm

;D But he is when he wants to.  ;D
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #43405: Jan 03, 2021 05:10:38 pm

It was a bit of tongue and cheek. Pogbas sh*t, because he can be amazing when it suits him. But it should suit you always, and more often then not he can't be bothered.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43406: Jan 03, 2021 07:57:43 pm

World class players are always world class, not just at contract renewal time and when they are in the mood.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #43407: Jan 03, 2021 08:05:04 pm
      It was a bit of tongue and cheek. Pogbas sh*t, because he can be amazing when it suits him. But it should suit you always, and more often then not he can't be bothered.

Ah ok. Exactly he has the potential to be world class but his attitude will always get in the way. He thinks he is bigger than any club.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #43408: Jan 03, 2021 08:40:28 pm
      World class players are always world class, not just at contract renewal time and when they are in the mood.

To be fair he has World class ability just can't be arsed showing it half the time.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #43409: Jan 03, 2021 08:47:02 pm
      Ah ok. Exactly he has the potential to be world class but his attitude will always get in the way. He thinks he is bigger than any club.

Yup. Dominated the middle of the park the other night and was into everything around the box. Hard to believe that was the same guy that is out the squad half the time for lack of hustle and shenanigans. More interested in how many likes he gets from his latest IG than how many wins he's apart of.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43410: Jan 03, 2021 08:52:34 pm
      Sven Botman. 6'4". Big lad.
      Fair few articles, but finger in the air stuff.
      Still hoping we sign someone at CB, and the sooner the better.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #43411: Jan 03, 2021 08:53:21 pm
      Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams are gonna have to do a job for a few weeks, perhaps longer. Pretty evident no CB is walking through the doors ready to walk into the team. Looks like we are letting everything play out in the market and doing our due diligence. Dont mind it actually.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43412: Jan 03, 2021 09:07:15 pm
      Pretty evident no CB is walking through the doors ready to walk into the team.

Don't wanna be harsh, but Rhys/Nat are 5th/6th choice [behind the 3 lads and Fab who's a midfielder]
      Sooner someone comes in, sooner they start lining out in the first XI.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #43413: Jan 03, 2021 09:44:49 pm
      Sven Botman. 6'4". Big lad.
      Fair few articles, but finger in the air stuff.
      Still hoping we sign someone at CB, and the sooner the better.

For me it’s more so we can get Fabinho back in midfield.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #43414: Jan 03, 2021 09:49:53 pm
      If we don’t get CB help soon we are going to regret it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #43415: Jan 03, 2021 10:33:00 pm
      Its funny, the panic about the centre half. Weve played 11 league games since we lost VVD. We have conceeded 7.

Our problem is at least an equal if not more so up fromt or in midfield creating chances
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #43416: Jan 03, 2021 10:59:07 pm
      Its funny, the panic about the centre half. Weve played 11 league games since we lost VVD. We have conceeded 7.

Our problem is at least an equal if not more so up fromt or in midfield creating chances
      This. Our last two games clearly demonstrated that problem and reminded us of why we brought Thiago. We spent nearly 180 minutes trying to create chances about the only two ways we know how to against low blocks: crosses from the full-backs (from varying positions) or a smart and accurate ping through and above the opposition's defence from either our midfield, a center-back or a slightly more central TAA.

This on its own is not bad, but the teams we play against have figured this out. When Thiago on came last game (for about 15 minutes or so) you could see that had he started the game we would've scored more than once, easily. He is unpredictable and so good he actually manages to do the job a skilled CAM does around the box but from much deeper. You'll be watching the game from your TV (which means you have an overall much better vision of the whole pitch than the players do) and you still can't figure out where his passes are going until he releases it.

I think we need a CB right now because of how precarious the situation at the back is, but in the coming years, I'd say another priority would be to start looking for somebody to succeed (and play with) Thiago and who has the potential of being a very skilled creator around the box. All of that is no secret to Klopp and the staff as Keita was supposed to be that unpredictable factor (in a different way, he's more of a ball carrier, penetrative runs, etc). Unfortunately the lad can't stay fit and this means we'll probably have to go again.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #43417: Jan 03, 2021 11:04:03 pm

I can undersrand the concern, going into a title race with a CB who is good but hurt 70 percent of the time, makeshift CB and two inexperienced CB's doesn't bode well.

« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2021 11:15:43 pm by adammac »
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #43418: Jan 04, 2021 12:04:06 am

I wouldn't say it's panic tbh, ideally I think Klopp would have replaced Lovren had the right person been available or due to covid loss of revenue etc.
      I agree with your point on midfield /attack but now Phillips, Williams and Fabinho isn't sufficient cover, no doubt we've done great considering but it could still bite us on the arse.
      I'd like us to sign a CB I'm not expecting it though.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #43419: Jan 04, 2021 12:04:07 am

We have our world class DM playing CB beside one of either two inexperienced, usually 4 or 5th choice CBs with no real depth behind them and a sometimes not injured world class (in my opinion) CB playing a couple games at a time before getting injured again.

Whether our forwards and creative players are finishing chances...we at least have the players and the depth to still put up points....at this point, we have literally zero room for any more injuries with our defensive players.

If you aren't concerned about our lack of defensive depth....more power to you, I'm not personally concerned about our offensive firepower, but I am worried what happens if we can't field 4 decent defenders for an extended period of time.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #43420: Jan 04, 2021 12:20:11 am
      How can anyone argue that we don't desperately need a CB?

And an experienced one preferably.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #43421: Jan 04, 2021 02:34:58 am
      Pearce saying no interest in Botman 

Looks like he's got a good record!  :lmao: :lmao:

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43422: Jan 04, 2021 02:44:13 am
      How can anyone argue that we don't desperately need a CB?

And an experienced one preferably.

From The Guardian:

At Newcastle (Klopp) fielded the versatile, but out-of-position, Fabinho and the inexperienced Nathaniel Phillips at the heart of his back four but Klopp – who also has the 19-year-old centre-back Rhys Williams in his squad – indicated he was unlikely to sign cover during the current transfer window and preferred to promote from within.

“We have solutions within the squad but, if we can do something in the window, I don’t know,” he said. “It is like that. It is a very difficult transfer window. Not all of the clubs have real money. Doing something makes no sense. Doing the right thing makes sense. So far we really liked what we have done. We have three centre-halves at the moment. I liked Nat [Phillips] at Newcastle. He’s a clever boy and is using his ability to help us a lot.”

It may be that he's just trying to avoid sounding desperate to keep any potential price down. It's hard to think he would be putting that much trust in two players who, respectively, were at Kidderminster Harriers and in Bundesliga 2 last season, but after spending the money on Jota, Tsimikas and Thiago following a season with reduced revenues, maybe there is a financial restraint in place.

If we were really going to do something, wouldn't we likely have done it by now? We're shorthanded now.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #43423: Jan 04, 2021 04:18:35 am
      VVD was massive in build up play to our attack with long balls over the top and allowing play to open for him when he was on the ball. The big man doesn't get enough credit for his passing and aerial prowess in the box. Nat and Rys are not picking passes out at all and don't look particularly comfortable with the ball at their feet.

We need a CB for depth sure, but we also need one that can help on both sides of the pitch.

Quick Reply