Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179131 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #43493: Jan 07, 2021 12:07:27 pm
      Finances. We only buy for the long haul it seems.

Sometimes I wish every decision didn’t have to  bathed in fiscal responsibility. But it’s not my money so it’s easy for me to say that I guess.

but surely you'd earn more by winning a title and progressing in CL wouldn't you? It just seems like insanity not to bring in some CB's now, at least loan signings.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #43494: Jan 07, 2021 01:35:08 pm
      James Pearce latest Tweet
      "Klopp on CB situation: "I can't say definitely that we won't sign one but it's just not likely"

So there you have it, we're still none the wiser!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43495: Jan 07, 2021 01:47:07 pm
      We always seem reluctant to go after short term free signings like this Bri for whatever reason.

Probably because we play a difficult system that requires time to understand it, so by the time the player's in tune with it the loan/term expires. I think last time i remember us getting a short-term guy was Steve Caulkner a few years back and he barely played.

I am a proponent of getting a CB, but i won't be surprised if we don't do it. Bedding in a new CB in the middle of a league title and CL push is risky because he would be learning our system on the go, and when you see how coordinated our backline is and how in sync the whole team is during free kicks, for example, holding that high line, the new CB could be the reason someone else is onside and we get scored on.

I would personally love getting a Schuurs, Botman or any other high-potential early-20s CB that could come in and be able to learn through training without the pressure/expectation of needing to be a starter right away.
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 10 
      Reply #43496: Jan 07, 2021 01:47:20 pm
      I Will be shocked if we don't sign a cb this month, i get Klopp not showing his hand in press conference's as if the club ARE in negotiations with other club's players that will only drive the price up. Failing to add anyone to the squad in defence dramatically reduces r chances of winning anything this season imho but i would gladly eat humble pie if I'm wrong.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43497: Jan 07, 2021 01:50:49 pm
      Probably because we play a difficult system that requires time to understand it, so by the time the player's in tune with it the loan/term expires. I think last time i remember us getting a short-term guy was Steve Caulkner a few years back and he barely played.

I am a proponent of getting a CB, but i won't be surprised if we don't do it. Bedding in a new CB in the middle of a league title and CL push is risky because he would be learning our system on the go, and when you see how coordinated our backline is and how in sync the whole team is during free kicks, for example, holding that high line, the new CB could be the reason someone else is onside and we get scored on.

I would personally love getting a Schuurs, Botman or any other high-potential early-20s CB that could come in and be able to learn through training without the pressure/expectation of needing to be a starter right away.

I get that but we're not that unique that we couldn't find a CB to fit into how we play.

That's a poor excuse to be honest. I know JĂźrgen likes to get his players up to speed with how we play before trusting them but he's not that rigid that there isn't an option short term who could help the situation.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #43498: Jan 07, 2021 02:03:59 pm
      If no one coming this month, I thought uncertainty of pandemic situation is the biggest issue.
      This like we only have to sign player that now available (and maybe not our first traget, then if football season have to end early, that could be a waste  etc.)
      Next most possibly is financial reason. Recently we made some unsuccessful signings, such as AOC, Karius, Shaq, Naby, Minamino and few younsters (of course many great signings there but...).
      Those failures were on big wage so I reckon we have to offload them before sign new big wage players in.     
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #43499: Jan 07, 2021 04:16:55 pm
      I think we will sign a centre half.   It is all cat and mouse a the moment teveryone have their scissors out.   It is going to be difficult but think we will, because think JĂźrgen is desperate for one.   It has all been papering the cracks at the back since Gomez got injured.    If we don't sign someone it won't be for the lack of trying.  We aren't going to be Andy Carrolled though, no chance. 

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #43500: Jan 07, 2021 05:42:08 pm
      i get Klopp not showing his hand in press conference's as if the club ARE in negotiations with other club's players that will only drive the price up.

I don't think it actually works that way. Look, everyone and their uncle knows we need CB help. If anyone was going to price gouge, it will have zero bearing on what Klopp says in a press conference. And to be fair, I believe JĂźrgen has actually always been pretty forthright with his answers.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #43501: Jan 07, 2021 06:02:53 pm
      Reports now surfacing we've offered Alaba a ÂŁ200k a week deal for next season.
      Maybe the thinking is we'll muddle through to the summer with what we have then bring in someone of real class, instead of overpaying for someone now who isn't up to the standard (due to availability) Klopp demands.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #43502: Jan 07, 2021 07:17:15 pm
      I get that but we're not that unique that we couldn't find a CB to fit into how we play.

That's a poor excuse to be honest. I know JĂźrgen likes to get his players up to speed with how we play before trusting them but he's not that rigid that there isn't an option short term who could help the situation.

I think the point is that as a club we just don't do short term signings anymore. Steven Caulker was probably the last stop-gap signing and I think he ended up playing as a striker more often than not! As Klopp said quite some time ago, he "preferred training to transfers".

According to a source at the club (via the Athletic): "Short term fixes aren't what this club is about anymore. It's not how we arrived where we are. It makes sense to sign a CB for three to four years, not four or five months. And they are not available without being financially irresponsible in this window."

Clearly finances are an issue, considering how important it was for the Jota and Thiago signings that the majority of the fee was to be paid later, with a smaller up front payment. Our estimated revenue losses are estimated to be over ÂŁ100m and rising.

If the right player, at the right fee, suddenly became available in January we would make a move I'm sure, but we won't take someone we're not 100% sold on just because he's available and we are in the midst of an injury crisis. Whether you agree or disagree with that, it's just how we seem to operate now.

According to the Athletic we made contact in November about Ozan Kabak. Initial discussions were had, but for whatever reason they went no further. Kabak is expected to move elsewhere. Other primary targets, Upamecano and Ben White, are not available in January. We were apparently not at all interested in Sven Botman, now or in the summer, and the suspicion is that our name was being used to drive up his price, similar to the Nicolas Pepe rumours back when he was at Lille. "There's zero interest in Botman. He's not even under consideration for the summer window." - senior source.

With availability and the financial aspects such a problem this January, and Klopp's aversion to short term fixes, it does seem that a lot of you are going to be disappointed, as it appears we won't be signing anyone at CB.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43503: Jan 07, 2021 07:31:58 pm
      I think the point is that as a club we just don't do short term signings anymore. Steven Caulker was probably the last stop-gap signing and I think he ended up playing as a striker more often than not! As Klopp said quite some time ago, he "preferred training to transfers".

According to a source at the club (via the Athletic): "Short term fixes aren't what this club is about anymore. It's not how we arrived where we are. It makes sense to sign a CB for three to four years, not four or five months. And they are not available without being financially irresponsible in this window."

Clearly finances are an issue, considering how important it was for the Jota and Thiago signings that the majority of the fee was to be paid later, with a smaller up front payment. Our estimated revenue losses are estimated to be over ÂŁ100m and rising.

If the right player, at the right fee, suddenly became available in January we would make a move I'm sure, but we won't take someone we're not 100% sold on just because he's available and we are in the midst of an injury crisis. Whether you agree or disagree with that, it's just how we seem to operate now.

According to the Athletic we made contact in November about Ozan Kabak. Initial discussions were had, but for whatever reason they went no further. Kabak is expected to move elsewhere. Other primary targets, Upamecano and Ben White, are not available in January. We were apparently not at all interested in Sven Botman, now or in the summer, and the suspicion is that our name was being used to drive up his price, similar to the Nicolas Pepe rumours back when he was at Lille. "There's zero interest in Botman. He's not even under consideration for the summer window." - senior source.

With availability and the financial aspects such a problem this January, and Klopp's aversion to short term fixes, it does seem that a lot of you are going to be disappointed, as it appears we won't be signing anyone at CB.

I agree that we don't do short term fixes as a policy and I actually agree with having that as a policy.

But sometimes you have to look beyond the long term policy if at all possible.

It's not me demanding a signing just I'd like to think that just because we have this policy doesn't mean we won't adapt to the needs of the current situation if we can.

If we are and we can't do anything fair enough but I'd hate to think we aren't just because 'that's our policy'.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #43504: Jan 07, 2021 07:41:28 pm
      I agree that we don't do short term fixes as a policy and I actually agree with having that as a policy.

But sometimes you have to look beyond the long term policy if at all possible.

It's not me demanding a signing just I'd like to think that just because we have this policy doesn't mean we won't adapt to the needs of the current situation if we can.

If we are and we can't do anything fair enough but I'd hate to think we aren't just because 'that's our policy'.

Get where you're coming from and in all honesty I'm not sure our policy should take precedent here either. Our injuries at CB aren't actually affecting our goals conceded that much if you like at the stats from when VVD/Gomez got injured, but it does seem to have had a huge effect on the cohesion of the team as a whole.

Equally I wouldn't want us to sign someone on a long term deal who we aren't sure about. Back when we were slapped on the wrist for approaching VVD, there was a huge clamour for us to spend that money elsewhere, with a few high profile targets bandied about. I'm sure there were plenty on here who would have liked us to sign someone that summer, rather than wait for VVD in January. Obviously we ended up waiting for VVD and the recruitment team can feel pretty vindicated with that one.

Considering the close title race, a tough CL run, can we afford not to sign another CB? I'm not sure, but ultimately I'm okay with whatever the club end up doing. We've proven ourselves time and time again to be incredibly astute in the transfer market, whether buying the right player, or passing on someone else, and in the end I've got confidence we'll make the right move, whatever that might be. That said, the only way I see us signing a CB is if one of our top targets, who we may end up pursuing in the summer instead, is suddenly available and affordable in January.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #43505: Jan 07, 2021 08:12:48 pm
      How can we sign Mbappe though without messing up our wage structure?

He would be in the world top 10 highest player salary bracket.

NIKE
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43506: Jan 07, 2021 08:19:38 pm
      Get where you're coming from and in all honesty I'm not sure our policy should take precedent here either. Our injuries at CB aren't actually affecting our goals conceded that much if you like at the stats from when VVD/Gomez got injured, but it does seem to have had a huge effect on the cohesion of the team as a whole.

Equally I wouldn't want us to sign someone on a long term deal who we aren't sure about. Back when we were slapped on the wrist for approaching VVD, there was a huge clamour for us to spend that money elsewhere, with a few high profile targets bandied about. I'm sure there were plenty on here who would have liked us to sign someone that summer, rather than wait for VVD in January. Obviously we ended up waiting for VVD and the recruitment team can feel pretty vindicated with that one.

Considering the close title race, a tough CL run, can we afford not to sign another CB? I'm not sure, but ultimately I'm okay with whatever the club end up doing. We've proven ourselves time and time again to be incredibly astute in the transfer market, whether buying the right player, or passing on someone else, and in the end I've got confidence we'll make the right move, whatever that might be. That said, the only way I see us signing a CB is if one of our top targets, who we may end up pursuing in the summer instead, is suddenly available and affordable in January.

Congrats on two well-informed, factual and reasoned posts.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43507: Jan 07, 2021 08:30:34 pm
      Klopp on signing a center back this month:

“We should not forget that the situation is a tough one for all people and for football clubs as well. There might be, I don’t know, some clubs with absolutely no financial - and I don’t want to use the wrong word because then you make a big fuss of it - problems. But this club always was - and will always be with these owners, for sure - just very responsible with the things we do.

“So, if the world would be in a ‘normal’ place, let me say it like this, everything would be fine: we won the league, won the Champions League, the club is in the best possible situation and then you have three senior centre-halves plus Fabinho plus kids, and the three senior centre-halves are all injured - is that a situation where usually we would do something? Yes, definitely.

“But we are not in that situation
      so I don’t know if something will happen or not. What I said about it, you maybe could do something but it would be kind of a short-term solution - and we don’t have that short-term solution - but that’s not right because it doesn’t help really.

“Then we have to deal with the situation how we did it so far and have to get through this. It’s not the best moment for the whole planet, so why should it be for a football club?”
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #43508: Jan 07, 2021 08:42:32 pm
      High risk gamble of not buying a CB, not too far fetched to imagine Fab getting injured and then the penny pinching accountants might start getting a bit sweaty under the collar at the thought of potentially missing out on a guaranteed ÂŁ50M from missing out on Top 4.

It was stupidity not replacing Lovren, to carry on in our state is insanity.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43509: Jan 08, 2021 12:38:06 am
      High risk gamble of not buying a CB, not too far fetched to imagine Fab getting injured and then the penny pinching accountants might start getting a bit sweaty under the collar at the thought of potentially missing out on a guaranteed ÂŁ50M from missing out on Top 4.

It was stupidity not replacing Lovren, to carry on in our state is insanity.

Man, you really don't get it, and the worst part is you had everything spelled out for you right there in the post above yours.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #43510: Jan 08, 2021 09:15:29 am
      Man, you really don't get it, and the worst part is you had everything spelled out for you right there in the post above yours.

You can live in your fantasy world where there isn’t a single player one of the richest clubs could not sign or bring in on loan.
      Use your brain for once and don’t just bowl out the company line.

You probably believe Trump had nothing to do with the riots!

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021 09:21:56 am by HScRed1 »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #43511: Jan 08, 2021 10:41:41 am
      Reports now surfacing we've offered Alaba a ÂŁ200k a week deal for next season.
      Maybe the thinking is we'll muddle through to the summer with what we have then bring in someone of real class, instead of overpaying for someone now who isn't up to the standard (due to availability) Klopp demands.
      Don’t see it happening unfortunately, reckon he’ll go to Madrid.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #43512: Jan 08, 2021 12:39:01 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55578986

Klopp says it is "unlikely" he will sign a CB.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #43513: Jan 08, 2021 04:24:07 pm
      Rumour on sky saying Sergio Ramos on a free in the summer hahaha. Yeah whatever. Can never forgive that judo throw.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #43514: Jan 08, 2021 05:49:01 pm
      Rumour on sky saying Sergio Ramos on a free in the summer hahaha. Yeah whatever. Can never forgive that judo throw.

More chance of King Kenny starting tonight than Ramon joining.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43515: Jan 08, 2021 06:30:18 pm
      More from Klopp on why we won't buy a center back this window (probably):

“I cannot go to the owners and say: ‘Without that we cannot win anything.’ We have to make the best of it, and that is what we have always done. It’s not that nobody wants [a new central defender]; the question is if we can.”

“It is not a time for massive investment if you don’t have the funds for it. Obviously football clubs live off what they earn. We still don’t have supporters in the stadium, a lot of stuff is still different, and that has gone on for a long time.

“So I don’t understand why people now talk about the situation like nothing happened. We are still in the middle of a pandemic so that’s not the best time we’ve ever had.

Klopp insists Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owner, shares his desire to strengthen in central defence but should not jeopardise the club’s finances in the notoriously difficult January market.

“In good times everybody thinks our owners are really generous and in bad times everyone thinks they are really tight, but they are not,” he said. “They are absolutely concerned about the club and the success of the club and understand how we have it.

“They see exactly the same things I see about the necessity to sign players and things like this.

“It is not that I say: ‘A centre-half would be really nice,’ and they say: ‘Wow, a centre-half? Really? Why?’ It’s all clear. It’s all on the table. We work on it, as you can imagine, but January is not the easiest transfer window and on top of that it is not having the money exactly as you want.”

Quick Reply