Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4179660 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #43516: Jan 08, 2021 06:44:20 pm
      There's a good piece written by Mel Reddy on the Independent, understanding why we likely won't spend, but how it could provide detrimental. Nothing earth shattering, but certainly echoes what a lot of us worry about. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43517: Jan 09, 2021 01:29:33 pm
      More from Klopp on why we won't buy a center back this window (probably):

“I cannot go to the owners and say: ‘Without that we cannot win anything.’ We have to make the best of it, and that is what we have always done. It’s not that nobody wants [a new central defender]; the question is if we can.”

“It is not a time for massive investment if you don’t have the funds for it. Obviously football clubs live off what they earn. We still don’t have supporters in the stadium, a lot of stuff is still different, and that has gone on for a long time.

“So I don’t understand why people now talk about the situation like nothing happened. We are still in the middle of a pandemic so that’s not the best time we’ve ever had.

Klopp insists Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owner, shares his desire to strengthen in central defence but should not jeopardise the club’s finances in the notoriously difficult January market.

“In good times everybody thinks our owners are really generous and in bad times everyone thinks they are really tight, but they are not,” he said. “They are absolutely concerned about the club and the success of the club and understand how we have it.

“They see exactly the same things I see about the necessity to sign players and things like this.

“It is not that I say: ‘A centre-half would be really nice,’ and they say: ‘Wow, a centre-half? Really? Why?’ It’s all clear. It’s all on the table. We work on it, as you can imagine, but January is not the easiest transfer window and on top of that it is not having the money exactly as you want.”

It's like some people think that when a transfer window rolls round, the people at the club suddenly jump into gear and start talking about this stuff.

The reality is that the people at the club talk, plan and look at players all year round.
      As soon as VVD got injured (and probably well before) they would have been looking at potential cover.

Unfortunately there's no magic wand, no quick fixes, no easy solutions.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #43518: Jan 09, 2021 02:29:40 pm
      Since the derby there's only been one occasion where we've conceded more than one goal (Atalanta 0-2). If our attackers had been on form the last few weeks then we'd be sitting comfortably at the top of the league with a half decent cushion.

I probably do think we should have bought a centre half in the summer, as I think all teams require 4 centre halves if they wish to challenge on all fronts like ourselves. But given the literal worst case defensive scenario which we've been dealing with since October, I'd say we've coped fine. Our issues lately have been largely caused by lack of creativity and / or not being clinical enough in front of goal. Granted our centre halves aid the attacking play too; Van Dijk with switches of play and Matip by bringing the ball out of defence. But the injuries which I think have cost us most so far this season are Jota and Thiago. With Thiago now back and Jota (plus hopefully Matip) not far away from a return, I wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't sign a centre half this window. Especially with the prospect of the season being paused and extended again - you never know, we could have Virgil back for the business end of the campaign
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #43519: Jan 09, 2021 02:55:37 pm
      Since the derby there's only been one occasion where we've conceded more than one goal (Atalanta 0-2). If our attackers had been on form the last few weeks then we'd be sitting comfortably at the top of the league with a half decent cushion.

I probably do think we should have bought a centre half in the summer, as I think all teams require 4 centre halves if they wish to challenge on all fronts like ourselves. But given the literal worst case defensive scenario which we've been dealing with since October, I'd say we've coped fine. Our issues lately have been largely caused by lack of creativity and / or not being clinical enough in front of goal. Granted our centre halves aid the attacking play too; Van Dijk with switches of play and Matip by bringing the ball out of defence. But the injuries which I think have cost us most so far this season are Jota and Thiago. With Thiago now back and Jota (plus hopefully Matip) not far away from a return, I wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't sign a centre half this window. Especially with the prospect of the season being paused and extended again - you never know, we could have Virgil back for the business end of the campaign
      I think its a logically outcome that our attackers are in this slump because we play a system that is finely tuned from the goalkeeper to the forwards. The fact that we have to go in games fielding U-23s and players from our midfield makes us bring the defensive line significantly down from where it usually stands to to make up for the experience and speed we usually have in VVD and Gomez.  This changes our whole pressing game and where on the pitch we regain the ball to immediately counter.

I think (and I'll put a lot of emphasis on the ''I think'' here) you can see that in games where we scored 2 or more early goals (Atalanta away, Palace, etc). The cushion these goals provided led us to revert to a higher defensive line and midfielders willing to press higher up the field closer to the the front 3.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #43520: Jan 09, 2021 11:37:59 pm
      I think its a logically outcome that our attackers are in this slump because we play a system that is finely tuned from the goalkeeper to the forwards. The fact that we have to go in games fielding U-23s and players from our midfield makes us bring the defensive line significantly down from where it usually stands to to make up for the experience and speed we usually have in VVD and Gomez.  This changes our whole pressing game and where on the pitch we regain the ball to immediately counter.

I think (and I'll put a lot of emphasis on the ''I think'' here) you can see that in games where we scored 2 or more early goals (Atalanta away, Palace, etc). The cushion these goals provided led us to revert to a higher defensive line and midfielders willing to press higher up the field closer to the the front 3.

Solid point, boss. You may be right
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43521: Jan 10, 2021 03:08:11 pm
      All quiet on the rumour front. I'd say chances of signing a CB are less than 50/50.
      But its been quiet before and we've made a move, so...
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #43522: Jan 10, 2021 06:35:44 pm
      More from Klopp on why we won't buy a center back this window (probably):

“I cannot go to the owners and say: ‘Without that we cannot win anything.’ We have to make the best of it, and that is what we have always done. It’s not that nobody wants [a new central defender]; the question is if we can.”

“It is not a time for massive investment if you don’t have the funds for it. Obviously football clubs live off what they earn. We still don’t have supporters in the stadium, a lot of stuff is still different, and that has gone on for a long time.

“So I don’t understand why people now talk about the situation like nothing happened. We are still in the middle of a pandemic so that’s not the best time we’ve ever had.

Klopp insists Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owner, shares his desire to strengthen in central defence but should not jeopardise the club’s finances in the notoriously difficult January market.

“In good times everybody thinks our owners are really generous and in bad times everyone thinks they are really tight, but they are not,” he said. “They are absolutely concerned about the club and the success of the club and understand how we have it.

“They see exactly the same things I see about the necessity to sign players and things like this.

“It is not that I say: ‘A centre-half would be really nice,’ and they say: ‘Wow, a centre-half? Really? Why?’ It’s all clear. It’s all on the table. We work on it, as you can imagine, but January is not the easiest transfer window and on top of that it is not having the money exactly as you want.”

JĂźrgen is saying that he wants a CB, just that it may not happen cos money is tight due to Covid. He is saying they are working on it, and I would be amazed if they weren't to be honest. So there probably is a fair chance we will sign one. Just depends if we can talk down the asking price/wages enough, I suspect.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #43523: Jan 10, 2021 07:55:19 pm
      Can’t see us signing one to be honest, just based on how the club have operated in the past.

Also how JĂźrgen likes to operate, he likes to find solutions to problems rather than just dipping into the market.

Really hope I’m wrong because I think we we get a CB in we have a great shot at retaining our title, without it am not so sure.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #43524: Jan 10, 2021 07:55:20 pm
      Anyone think Perr Schuurs from Ajax might be on the radar. He did have a trial of sorts at Anfield in 2017. Looks impressive now, and we apparently haven’t lost interest.
      Could be a short term reinforcement with long term aspirations.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #43525: Jan 10, 2021 09:26:29 pm
      JĂźrgen is saying that he wants a CB, just that it may not happen cos money is tight due to Covid. He is saying they are working on it, and I would be amazed if they weren't to be honest. So there probably is a fair chance we will sign one. Just depends if we can talk down the asking price/wages enough, I suspect.

Loans could be viable but again what is the standard going to be unless they have fallen out etc Tomori at Chelsea looking at being loaned surely someone like that better than current options
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #43526: Jan 10, 2021 11:56:41 pm
      Got to suspect clubs are asking for pre-covid prices in a Covid world.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43527: Jan 11, 2021 07:01:33 am
      Loans could be viable but again what is the standard going to be unless they have fallen out etc Tomori at Chelsea looking at being loaned surely someone like that better than current options

I thought a loan from the continent might be an option but JĂźrgen  seemed to say there isn't anyone that fits the bill. Surprises me really. As far as Chelsea or any other Premier League side goes, doubt they would want to help us out that way.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43528: Jan 11, 2021 08:14:04 am
      I thought a loan from the continent might be an option but JĂźrgen  seemed to say there isn't anyone that fits the bill. Surprises me really. As far as Chelsea or any other Premier League side goes, doubt they would want to help us out that way.

Surely there must be someone available on loan better than the youngsters, I simply do not believe that there is not. I think this may be a case of Klopp letting perfect be the enemy of good.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #43529: Jan 11, 2021 12:03:51 pm
      Anyone think Perr Schuurs from Ajax might be on the radar. He did have a trial of sorts at Anfield in 2017. Looks impressive now, and we apparently haven’t lost interest.
      Could be a short term reinforcement with long term aspirations.

He will be on the radar, he is a very talented young player with a great career ahead of him.
      I can't see him signing in this window though (if at all), as Ajax will be able to increase their asking price significantly as all clubs do in January if one of their players is highly sought after.

I think our best hope is to sign someone on a deal similar to the one which saw Jota arrive, with the terms being backloaded so payment is paid in the future. The price will still have to be right though.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #43530: Jan 11, 2021 01:11:29 pm
      Got to suspect clubs are asking for pre-covid prices in a Covid world.

Mostly because the likes of Chelsea and City keep the market artificially inflated.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43531: Jan 11, 2021 02:00:55 pm
      Slightly concerning that there aren't even any rumours of us signing any one, even on loan.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #43532: Jan 11, 2021 02:07:34 pm
      Slightly concerning that there aren't even any rumours of us signing any one, even on loan.

There were no rumours of us signing Fabinho or Jota if I remember rightly (probably others too). Both out of the blue.

So wouldn't let that annoy you.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #43533: Jan 11, 2021 02:57:25 pm

There are rumours though, Botman & Kabak to name but two.
      Probably a load of rubbish, but still rumours nonetheless.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #43534: Jan 11, 2021 06:26:56 pm
      Well if we are to buy CB make it soon
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43535: Jan 12, 2021 12:21:06 pm
      8% drop in revenue forecast this year.

Over 40 million quid.

Doubt we're buying anyone.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #43536: Jan 12, 2021 12:28:42 pm

Over 40 million quid.

What's the drop in cost forecast for this year?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43537: Jan 12, 2021 12:34:22 pm
      What's the drop in cost forecast for this year?

makes no difference.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43538: Jan 12, 2021 01:57:19 pm

Over 40 million quid.

Given no one in the stands since March that number is actually pretty low. Good news.

Quick Reply