Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4178751 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #43608: Jan 15, 2021 02:11:56 pm
      Think we will get lad from Madrid Milatio
      Probably gonna beat to it by Bayern
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #43609: Jan 15, 2021 02:19:50 pm
      Probably gonna beat to it by Bayern

What do they need him for surely we need him more 😅
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #43610: Jan 15, 2021 02:43:07 pm
      What do they need him for surely we need him more 😅
      They are desperately in need of speed at the heart of their backline. Sule and Boateng are incredibly slow. Martinez who can also plug in there is incredibly slow. Basically their only pacy guy who can play CB is Alaba.  Militao, as far as I can remember from his Porto CL days, is quite pacy for a CB and still has potential for the future.   
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43611: Jan 15, 2021 02:55:06 pm
      They are desperately in need of speed at the heart of their backline. Sule and Boateng are incredibly slow. Martinez who can also plug in there is incredibly slow. Basically their only pacy guy who can play CB is Alaba.  Militao, as far as I can remember from his Porto CL days, is quite pacy for a CB and still has potential for the future.

I'd like to get their young CB Chris Richards.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #43612: Jan 15, 2021 03:00:40 pm
      As much as it is frustrating to see time pass without us getting someone I think the mistake was going into the season with 3 Cb's. As much as I love Klopp and respect him, him and all his staff are still just humans and do commit mistakes. If your plan B is playing a midfielder as a CB then there's a problem especially going into a season everybody was predicting as being one where a lot of players will get injured.

If you add to this the fact that Matip is literally injured every two games or so and that everybody knows that he will be sidelined way more minutes than he will be available then playing Fab at the back isn't even worthy of the term ''Plan B''. It was literally a ''plan A 1/2''.

Fabinho playing CB appears to have been part of the plan from the beginning. Fabinho did an interview recently and said since the day he joined the club Klopp has had him train as CB. When you see how damn good he's been, anyone can see why. People may not like it and cause hissy fits, but Fabinho may be the best player at CB not named Van Dijk.

You simply cannot plan for your 2 starting CB's to both have season-ending injuries only a couple weeks into the season. It's just very rare for it to happen.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43613: Jan 15, 2021 03:09:51 pm
      Fabinho playing CB appears to have been part of the plan from the beginning. Fabinho did an interview recently and said since the day he joined the club Klopp has had him train as CB. When you see how damn good he's been, anyone can see why. People may not like it and cause hissy fits, but Fabinho may be the best player at CB not named Van Dijk.

You simply cannot plan for your 2 starting CB's to both have season-ending injuries only a couple weeks into the season. It's just very rare for it to happen.

Obviously you can't plan for injuries, but you can try to fix or mitigate it in January, NO?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #43614: Jan 16, 2021 11:20:07 am

He's been superb hasn't he, our best players so far this season in my opinion (with Robbo not far behind).

I remain hopeful we will bring someone in BUT the club have usually done their business earlier in the window in previous years so it's a real cause for concern not to see any movement. Young Williams and Nat Phillips have both done ok but both of them are slow on the turn team) (not something you can get away with in a Klopp team) and it's bonkers to expect Henderson to pay there.

I guess it's one of 4 scenarios

- Klopp has confidence in Williams and sees a genuine future for the lad
      - We're just biding our time and Edwards is gong to bring someone in after all
      - We really are completely feckin skint and cant do a deal
      - Gomez and VVD are quietly making better progress than expected and the club think they will be both feature again this season
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 10 
      Reply #43615: Jan 16, 2021 11:45:43 am
      He's been superb hasn't he, our best players so far this season in my opinion (with Robbo not far behind).

I remain hopeful we will bring someone in BUT the club have usually done their business earlier in the window in previous years so it's a real cause for concern not to see any movement. Young Williams and Nat Phillips have both done ok but both of them are slow on the turn team) (not something you can get away with in a Klopp team) and it's bonkers to expect Henderson to pay there.

- Gomez and VVD are quietly making better progress than expected and the club think they will be both feature again this season

Both the young lads have been done for pace on the turn so the only way to compensate for this is to drop off but as we all know you don't do this in a Klopp team coz we play with a high line.
      The main tests will start with tomorrow against the likes of Rashford who has plenty of pace and if we go deeper into the champions league against better quality teams thats when we find out wether we are making a big mistake not getting another cb in.
      Time will tell personally i wouldn't gamble after seeing what happened vs west brom and villa. I hope it works for us whatever happens
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #43616: Jan 16, 2021 11:56:53 am
      Something radical not having any fit CB's in the the team, how much more f**king radical does it need to get for these fuckwits owners at the club????  I just cannot understand why we are not at least getting someone in on loan are we on the cusp of bankruptcy or something?

;D

I dont think klopp wants a loan deal, or he doesnt fancy any of the loan guys available, maybe the options arnt any better than our young lads.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #43617: Jan 16, 2021 12:51:12 pm
      Think we will get lad from Madrid Milatio

Not watched this fella play but seem to remember he was hyped up a bit when at Porto.

Think someone like him would be sensible on a loan with an option to buy. If he's decent we could sign him up, if not then send him back to Madrid and sign someone better in the summer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43618: Jan 16, 2021 01:20:29 pm
      ;D

I dont think klopp wants a loan deal, or he doesnt fancy any of the loan guys available, maybe the options arnt any better than our young lads.

That simply can't be true, I refuse to believe that there is not a better option than Ryhs and Nat available somewhere in the world. Don't get me wrong they've both done a decent job but lets be honest, they are no where near the level we need.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #43619: Jan 16, 2021 02:26:19 pm
      Not watched this fella play but seem to remember he was hyped up a bit when at Porto.

Think someone like him would be sensible on a loan with an option to buy. If he's decent we could sign him up, if not then send him back to Madrid and sign someone better in the summer.

Not sure if you can remember he played against us in  champs league qtrs I think was their best player by a mile very quick
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #43620: Jan 16, 2021 02:28:21 pm

Option 2 and 4 I think . Not sure about Joe but I reckon VVD will make it problem is what damage would of been done in between then .
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #43621: Jan 17, 2021 03:34:11 pm

Well it looks like we're either skint or the bosses are there usual skinflint selves
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #43622: Jan 17, 2021 08:47:14 pm
      We have a clear goalscoring problem that is, in my opinion, a direct consequence of how deep we have to sit (especially the midfielders) in order to compensate for VVD's absence. His absence is even bigger than what most of us anticipated. A lot of the blame is currently being laid on the front three yet when I watch the games, all I see is 3 desperately isolated players who are dealing with defenders doubling and tripling up on them. The only creativity I see is the quality pass or two from deep from Thiago and the crosses from the full-back. I don't think I am surprising anybody here by saying that none of our front three is built to receive and pounce on crosses. This usually works because our midfield is pressing super high and pounces on the 2nd and 3rd balls either by being a scoring position themselves or passing it back to the front 3 while the opposition's defence is out of shape (counter of the counter). They can do that because of the crazy tactical awareness of VVD in how he positions himself and Joe + the sheer amount of yards these two can cover in a matter of seconds running back. Now of course this does not excuse the fact that the 3 guys upfront need to be much sharper (it would've made the difference in more than a couple of our recent games) but the truth is that they are desperately underfed.

Are we actually better off going for somebody that can come and slot in at the back or are we better off operating some sort of change in our tactics to allocate more players upfront (something like a 4-2-3-1 with Shaq in the 10 and more options once Jota is back)?

I ask this question because if my theory is correct (which is a big if as I don't pretend to be a tactical expert of some sort) most of our offensive woes are the result of the huge tactical hole VVD leaves behind in his prolonged absence then what are the chances, in January, that we pick somebody with enough quality to patch such a hole? I mean I don't see Botman or Kabak coming in and just solving such a problem. Sure its one more able body who can play CB but does it even begin to address the problem mentioned above?

I get that such a logic does not address the issues one might have with the quality of a Rhys or Phillips but I also can't say that neither of them has been sh*t. Rhys has impressed me most of the time he's been out there. Also, back to my point, our problem is not defensive in the sense of leaking goals. If you subtract the 7 goals conceded in the freak game against Villa (VVD was in that lineup too), we have 14 goals allowed, one more than the best defense in the league (City).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43623: Jan 17, 2021 09:02:09 pm
      We have a clear goalscoring problem that is, in my opinion, a direct consequence of how deep we have to sit (especially the midfielders) in order to compensate for VVD's absence. His absence is even bigger than what most of us anticipated. A lot of the blame is currently being laid on the front three yet when I watch the games, all I see is 3 desperately isolated players who are dealing with defenders doubling and tripling up on them. The only creativity I see is the quality pass or two from deep from Thiago and the crosses from the full-back. I don't think I am surprising anybody here by saying that none of our front three is built to receive and pounce on crosses. This usually works because our midfield is pressing super high and pounces on the 2nd and 3rd balls either by being a scoring position themselves or passing it back to the front 3 while the opposition's defence is out of shape (counter of the counter). They can do that because of the crazy tactical awareness of VVD in how he positions himself and Joe + the sheer amount of yards these two can cover in a matter of seconds running back. Now of course this does not excuse the fact that the 3 guys upfront need to be much sharper (it would've made the difference in more than a couple of our recent games) but the truth is that they are desperately underfed.

Are we actually better off going for somebody that can come and slot in at the back or are we better off operating some sort of change in our tactics to allocate more players upfront (something like a 4-2-3-1 with Shaq in the 10 and more options once Jota is back)?

I ask this question because if my theory is correct (which is a big if as I don't pretend to be a tactical expert of some sort) most of our offensive woes are the result of the huge tactical hole VVD leaves behind in his prolonged absence then what are the chances, in January, that we pick somebody with enough quality to patch such a hole? I mean I don't see Botman or Kabak coming in and just solving such a problem. Sure its one more able body who can play CB but does it even begin to address the problem mentioned above?

I get that such a logic does not address the issues one might have with the quality of a Rhys or Phillips but I also can't say that neither of them has been sh*t. Rhys has impressed me most of the time he's been out there. Also, back to my point, our problem is not defensive in the sense of leaking goals. If you subtract the 7 goals conceded in the freak game against Villa (VVD was in that lineup too), we have 14 goals allowed, one more than the best defense in the league (City).

Sorry but that is mostly bollocks, in the first 25 minutes today we had Man Utd pegged back, the midfield and defence playing lovely attractive football and creating plenty of openings for our forwards but they did absolutely F**k all with the chances, in that situation there is literally nothing you can do and you could see how dire it got that by the end you had Thiago take shots himself, and coming damn close to scoring actually.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #43624: Jan 17, 2021 09:16:58 pm

Sorry but that is mostly bollocks, in the first 25 minutes today we had Man Utd pegged back, the midfield and defence playing lovely attractive football and creating plenty of openings for our forwards but they did absolutely f**k all with the chances, in that situation there is literally nothing you can do and you could see how dire it got that by the end you had Thiago take shots himself, and coming damn close to scoring actually.

We didn't create any real chances though did we couple of half openings
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #43625: Jan 17, 2021 09:20:57 pm

Sorry but that is mostly bollocks, in the first 25 minutes today we had Man Utd pegged back, the midfield and defence playing lovely attractive football and creating plenty of openings for our forwards but they did absolutely f**k all with the chances, in that situation there is literally nothing you can do and you could see how dire it got that by the end you had Thiago take shots himself, and coming damn close to scoring actually.
      Apart from one time where Bobby should've passed instead of shooting (or maybe it was the opposite) I can't remember one clear cut chance any of the 3 forwards had all game long.

Edit: You're mistaking giving the ball to Mane or Salah in the half space with the whole opposition defence already back and in position with a full-back and midfielder doubling on him for a chance. Also, its not because Mane or Salah manage to wiggle through 3 pairs of legs and take an improbable shot that it means we had a chance.

Us: 17 shots (4 on target)

UTD: 8 shots (4 on target)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43626: Jan 18, 2021 08:50:35 am

I disagree, we actually created some decent chances, unfortunately most of them fell to Bobby, one in particular just needed Bobby to slot it either side of the keeper but he completely scuffed the shot, in several other situations the forwards were choosing to shoot rather than to pass, but to say we didn't have good situations/opportunities is not true.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43627: Jan 18, 2021 08:54:24 am
      Apart from one time where Bobby should've passed instead of shooting (or maybe it was the opposite) I can't remember one clear cut chance any of the 3 forwards had all game long.

Edit: You're mistaking giving the ball to Mane or Salah in the half space with the whole opposition defence already back and in position with a full-back and midfielder doubling on him for a chance. Also, its not because Mane or Salah manage to wiggle through 3 pairs of legs and take an improbable shot that it means we had a chance.

Us: 17 shots (4 on target)

UTD: 8 shots (4 on target)

I'd say even in the second half where it was Mo against Shaw was a damned good chance, when on form Mo would easily control that ball and go on to score, the decision making is terrible for our forwards, its making them rush their game, far too often they shoot when they should pass and vice versa, I've said it before but there is some serious disharmony in that forward line, for 3 players who have played together for 3+ years now the understanding is awful. Just think back to great strike partnerships of the past and compare.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #43628: Jan 18, 2021 10:14:38 am
      Origi should be gone by now. It's clear he doesn't have the level to play here. As I wrote in another post, ManU brought Cavani in, we brought Origi... We should have better players on the bench. The shame is that our "striker" does not score. I'm tired of the excuses about Firmino's poor stats. He got several chances yesterday but messed up. 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #43629: Jan 18, 2021 03:08:22 pm

Been saying the same thing but one or two must of been watching another match and got wires crossed with last nites game.  :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43630: Jan 18, 2021 03:40:14 pm
      Been saying the same thing but one or two must of been watching another match and got wires crossed with last nites game.  :D

Look your lot had two shots on target, big whoop, both were fairly easily saved. We had numerous opportunities to at the very least test De Gea but unfortunately almost all the chances fell to the hapless Firminio who either scuffed his shot or fu**ed it up in some other way. We had more  opportunities to score than you did, not more shots on goal but more opportunities.
      What is a FACT is that last night was your best opportunity to beat us at Anfield for a long long time and your beloved team fu**ed it up, that gives me quite a lot of satisfaction ;-)

Quick Reply