Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread

Read 4178731 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: General LFC Transfer rumours/gossip thread
      Reply #46230: Aug 31, 2021 04:06:37 pm
      Out of curiosity why do we need a midfielder when we play 3 in there and have

Ox, Keita  Jones, Thiago  Fab, Hendo, Elliott and Milner all play there. Thats 8 for 3 places, Id not be sad if we signed one but I just dont see it as vital

For me we can rule out Ox and Keita, I just don’t see them as a reliable option at all. Then Milner is 36 (I think), can’t play every week, I like Thiago and Hendo but both have had their injury problems in latest seasons (to be fair Hendo has always had little niggles here and there). Obviously I don’t expect them all to get injured at the same time but I don’t think it’s the most reliable midfield outside of Fab.

Elliot and Jones whilst looking promising are still unknown quantities for me and would need to see more of them getting a regular run of games.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #46231: Aug 31, 2021 04:15:50 pm
      Anyone else hate all this deadline day hype driven by sky ?

We used not even know when the deadline was and it passed without people being bothered

The was a time we took part in thr transfer market
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #46232: Aug 31, 2021 04:33:21 pm

The was a time we took part in thr transfer market

Just as we have this time as well
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #46233: Aug 31, 2021 04:34:44 pm

😂😂😂😂😂
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #46234: Aug 31, 2021 04:37:06 pm

What’s wrong 🤷‍♂️
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #46235: Aug 31, 2021 04:38:28 pm
      I think the bigger risk is not bringing in another attacker.

How will this play out only time will tell.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #46236: Aug 31, 2021 04:40:12 pm
      Personally liked the Damsgaard rumours. We need someone who can score from the outside of the box. Can't see it happening though...
      I like the look of Damsgaard as well, but his skillset is much more suited to playing the No.8 role in our team than playing on the wing given that he lacks pace but has good vision, passing, and agility in tight spaces - not dissimilar to Harvey Elliott actually.

Damsgaard also doesn't have the quality right now to get into the midfield ahead of any of our current options. That said, another full season in the Serie A should do him a lot of good, and with the likely departure of 1-2 of Milner, Keita, and/or Ox next summer there will be space in our midfield for an addition in our midfield matching his profile.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #46237: Aug 31, 2021 04:51:46 pm
      Out of curiosity why do we need a midfielder when we play 3 in there and have

Ox, Keita  Jones, Thiago  Fab, Hendo, Elliott and Milner all play there. Thats 8 for 3 places, Id not be sad if we signed one but I just dont see it as vital

It's not vital.

If everyone stays healthy though, then new signings aren't really too vital, other than our attacking unit is getting older each year and the time to invest is not when you need to...it's before you need to. Another Jota type signing this window would have been a good move IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Haaland or an Mbappe and it sure would be nice to be in for a big name every once in awhile, but with how the pre-season played out, I do think we can make do as long as we don't have any long term injury issues with our front line.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #46238: Aug 31, 2021 04:57:19 pm
      It's not vital.

If everyone stays healthy though, then new signings aren't really too vital, other than our attacking unit is getting older each year and the time to invest is not when you need to...it's before you need to. Another Jota type signing this window would have been a good move IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Haaland or an Mbappe and it sure would be nice to be in for a big name every once in awhile, but with how the pre-season played out, I do think we can make do as long as we don't have any long term injury issues with our front line.

Yea it's the forward position that could be a potential problem.

As you say no injuries then we will be fine. Time will tell.

Personally I'd have liked a forward in but as always and as we've seen in the past with Virgil and Konate on particular if our man isn't available or 'gettable' then we will wait.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #46239: Aug 31, 2021 05:02:28 pm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #46240: Aug 31, 2021 05:05:45 pm
      Looks like we need to change it from Transfer Deadline Day to New Contract Day.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #46241: Aug 31, 2021 05:08:16 pm
      Looks like we need to change it from Transfer Deadline Day to New Contract Day.

When the Transfer Window arrives, we look at our squad and see how many "new signings" we can make.  :lmao:
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #46242: Aug 31, 2021 05:13:03 pm
      Do we need another winger? Probably!!! But I also thought we'd need another MFer and Elliot wasn't progressing the way that he is. Maybe Taki is more ready than we think? Looked good in preseason.

Lock down key players this season and see where we are in January. Next summer looked to always be the plan anyway. At this point we ought to know to trust the process. I'm happy with our squad and know that we have the best coach in the world. Ill take that over a 80 mil signing anyday.......
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #46243: Aug 31, 2021 05:13:39 pm
      Anyone who follows Corbs on Twitter checked if he's ok?

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #46244: Aug 31, 2021 05:16:38 pm
      Anyone who follows Corbs on Twitter checked if he's ok?

He went on a massive blocking exercise the other day when he got shown up by a number of people. Lost it a little
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #46245: Aug 31, 2021 05:28:55 pm
      He went on a massive blocking exercise the other day when he got shown up by a number of people. Lost it a little

His head is going to fall off today. ;D
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #46246: Aug 31, 2021 05:29:37 pm
      Looks like the club weren't able to find a buyer in this market for him, so they chose to extend his contract to retain value, which seems pretty sensible.

On his previous deal he would only have had 12 months left on his contract at the end of this season, meaning that a loan move this season was off the table. Extending him makes it more feasible to loan him out now as they wouldn't be risking losing value by letting him run his contract down.

If he does stick around rather than going on loan now or in January the team will be better off for it in the short term and long-term, as this allows Rhys Williams to go on loan to get regular first team minutes.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #46247: Aug 31, 2021 05:30:24 pm
      Looks like the club weren't able to find a buyer in this market for him, so they chose to extend his contract to retain value, which seems pretty sensible.

On his previous deal he would only have had 12 months left on his contract at the end of this season, meaning that a loan move this season was off the table. Extending him makes it more feasible to loan him out now as they wouldn't be risking losing value by letting him run his contract down.

If he does stick around rather than going on loan now or in January the team will be better off for it in the short term and long-term, as this allows Rhys Williams to go on loan to get regular first team minutes.

Agree mate.

I'm laughing more at the fume this will create.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #46248: Aug 31, 2021 05:36:31 pm
      Agree mate.

Yeah I’m finding it all amusing now 😂
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #46249: Aug 31, 2021 05:38:32 pm
      Agree mate.

Nobody should be fuming about this. After what happened last season it's only wise to keep him as 5th CB.

I'd imagine that there were clubs interested but no one were willing to pay what the club wanted so it makes sense to be patient in this situation.

Ordinarily I'd say that I'd rather want a younger understudy as 5th CB, but given that Konate and Gomez are very young Phillips is perfect for that role given that he's homegrown and in his prime. Keeping him around instead of Rhys Williams also allows the younger Rhys to get valuable minutes and come back next summer more seasoned and possibly take Phillips' place in the squad as 5th CB (or get sold after raising his value considerably with a full season at Swansea).

Fwiw Pearce has confirmed that he's staying rather than going on loan immediately:

James Pearce
      @JamesPearceLFC
      ·
      16m
      Nat Phillips won't be leaving Liverpool today. In the absence of a suitable offer, he's now agreed a new four-year contract. Will stay and compete for a place with VVD, Matip, Konate and Gomez. Rhys Williams set to join Swansea on loan #LFC
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2021 05:46:06 pm by Richard88 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #46250: Aug 31, 2021 05:49:44 pm
      Nobody should be fuming about this. After what happened last season it's only wise to keep him as 5th CB.

I'd imagine that there were clubs interested but no one were willing to pay what the club wanted so it makes sense to be patient in this situation.

Ordinarily I'd say that I'd rather want a younger understudy as 5th CB, but given that Konate and Gomez are very young Phillips is perfect for that role given that he's homegrown and in his prime. Keeping him around instead of Rhys Williams also allows the younger Rhys to get valuable minutes and come back next summer more seasoned and possibly take Phillips' place in the squad as 5th CB (or get sold after raising his value considerably with a full season at Swansea).

Fwiw Pearce has confirmed that he's staying rather than going on loan immediately:

James Pearce
      @JamesPearceLFC
      ·
      16m
      Nat Phillips won't be leaving Liverpool today. In the absence of a suitable offer, he's now agreed a new four-year contract. Will stay and compete for a place with VVD, Matip, Konate and Gomez. Rhys Williams set to join Swansea on loan #LFC

Good old reliable Pearce had also said he was likely to leave today not even hours before this news.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #46251: Aug 31, 2021 05:54:39 pm
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      Reply #46252: Aug 31, 2021 06:04:19 pm
      Good old reliable Pearce had also said he was likely to leave today not even hours before this news.
      Just because Phillips signed an extension doesn't necessarily mean that Pearce was wrong about the likelihood of him leaving.

It seems to me that the club were trying to find a permanent move for him to cash in after he had a good season, but in the absence of any takers at a reasonable transfer fee they decided to be prudent and sign an extension to retain his sell-on value with a future sale in mind.

There will surely be some PL teams in need of a CB in January (there always is), and with an extension in place LFC can get full value rather than having to settle for a cheaper deal due to him having less than 18 months remaining on his deal.

This approach has served the club well in maximizing profits for fringe players like Solanke, Brad Smith, Ibe, etc, though there is admittedly also some risk involved in the event that a players value could decrease and the club getting stuck with a contract, like what happened with Karius, Mignolet, and is happening now with Origi to a certain extent.

Quick Reply