Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool v Sunderland, Wednesday 2nd January, KO: 19:45 Pre-match build up

Read 9993 times
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp
      • Started Topic

• 309 posts | 43 
      Liverpool v Sunderland, Wednesday 2nd January, KO: 19:45 Pre-match build up
      Dec 31, 2012 09:47:49 am

After a comfortable win away at QPR I'm sure the lads will be up for this one, especially with Strurridge's arrival imminent.

I'd go for this side on Wednesday:

Reina

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Downing

Lucas
      Allen

Sterling
      Gerrard
      Assaidi

Suarez

Subs; Jones; Wisdom, Carragher; Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey, Suso.

*Providing Jones and Henderson are ok to be in the squad. If not I'd put Gulacsi and Morgan/Sturridge (If available to play) on the bench.

The opposition

Sunderland have won 3 of there last 6, losing the other 3.

This is how they could line up:

Mignolet

Gardner
      Cuellar
      O'Shea (c)
      Bardsley

Johnson
      Larsson
      Colback
      McLean

Sessegnon

Fletcher

There main threats will come from there creative players - Johnson, Larsson and Sessegnon. And the obvious power of Fletcher up front.

I think if we score early, like we did against Fulham, we will run away with this game. I'm predicting a fashionable 3-1 win, with Suarez, Gerrard and Johnson scoring the goals for us, and Fletcher for them.

:kop5cf8koxp6:

*Admin I could only find the picture I've attached, If you could find a better one could you please put it in.
      « Last Edit: Jan 01, 2013 04:30:21 pm by redkenny »
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Liverpool v Sunderland, Wednesday 2nd January, KO: 19:45 Pre-match build up
      Reply #1: Dec 31, 2012 09:59:47 am

This is one of those games where we should keep our winning momentum up, but we cannot be complacent. They have some dangerous players, and I think Adam Johnson will cause problems. I think we should play Glen Johnson at left back, and the fact he's right footed will help us because whenever Adam Johnson is on his strong foot, Glen will be defending on his stronger foot.

Defensively we can exploit them. They have slow, and not very mobile defenders and Suarez will have chances to penetrate their defence. I'm not sure if Sturridge will be here, but I don't see why not. The paperwork should be done the day before, and I've seen transfers done in an hour. I don't see why this can't be done in a day.

If Sturridge is here, I'd play him straight away. He knows the league, and he can give us something we've lacked on that right. Pace, goals, and someone who is hungry to get in that box.

I imagine Lucas will play, but I hope we remain unchanged. Henderson looked good and I think it'd be unfair to get rid of him. If Lucas did come him I'd take out Allen but I don't see Rogers doing that.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #2: Dec 31, 2012 10:02:24 am
      Sadly " a comfortable win at QPR" means sweet F**k all at the minute in regard to the Sunderland game.
      We have to put the game to bed early 2 goals at least, if we don't we have to change things around at half time.

They are a decent team who have some good players back from niggly injuries recently McLean & Johnson (who we should have bought)

Fletcher up front is a good player who is due a goal it wont be easy at all. If we play like we played against Stoke forget about it we'll get
      battered.

Martin O'Neill is unlike some try to make out on here a very good manager who will defo have a game plan...

Hopefully we will have Sturridge available we do need him asap imo...

Good Luck Red Men....
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #3: Dec 31, 2012 10:06:55 am
      If Sturridge is available i,d put straight in to play down the middle. Suarez looked fantastic at QPR coming in from the right hand side which is where i,d play him. Then when Borini comes back put Borini wide left. At the moment if Assaidi is fit i,d put him out wide left. I think Hendo did enough to start again.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #4: Dec 31, 2012 10:38:46 am

This is one of those games where we should keep our winning momentum up, but we cannot be complacent. They have some dangerous players, and I think Adam Johnson will cause problems. I think we should play Glen Johnson at left back, and the fact he's right footed will help us because whenever Adam Johnson is on his strong foot, Glen will be defending on his stronger foot.

Defensively we can exploit them. They have slow, and not very mobile defenders and Suarez will have chances to penetrate their defence. I'm not sure if Sturridge will be here, but I don't see why not. The paperwork should be done the day before, and I've seen transfers done in an hour. I don't see why this can't be done in a day.

If Sturridge is here, I'd play him straight away. He knows the league, and he can give us something we've lacked on that right. Pace, goals, and someone who is hungry to get in that box.

I imagine Lucas will play, but I hope we remain unchanged. Henderson looked good and I think it'd be unfair to get rid of him. If Lucas did come him I'd take out Allen but I don't see Rogers doing that.
      I don't think Sturridge would be anywhere near match fit.
      This will be a tough game for us. We always struggled against pacey attackers. They will sit back and counter with number. Hope BR found a way to counter the 'counter threat' :D.
      Heart says 3-0
      Brain says  0-1 with we having 60% ball and double the number of shots.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #5: Dec 31, 2012 10:41:39 am
      O'Neill has a good record against us so it will be tight, hopefully the boys will get over the shits...
                    Reina
      Wisdom  Skrtel  Agger   Johnson
               Lucas     Henderson
                    Gerrard
       Sterling  Suarez  Downing
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #6: Dec 31, 2012 10:42:38 am
      Sturridge hasn't played for months and is just returning to fitness from a hamstring injury and some want to throw him straight into the action ?

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Dec 31, 2012 10:43:51 am
      Sturridge hasn't played for months and is just returning to fitness from a hamstring injury and some want to throw him straight into the action ?

I think some people would like to throw him a lot further than that !
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #8: Dec 31, 2012 10:47:21 am

He was in Chelsea's squad on the 16th, then after that had a medical with us. So if he's recovered from the injury, yes. I'd play him straight away.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Dec 31, 2012 10:51:51 am
      He was in Chelsea's squad on the 16th, then after that had a medical with us. So if he's recovered from the injury, yes. I'd play him straight away.

I'm still hoping the deal falls through
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #10: Dec 31, 2012 10:59:32 am

Still there is chance for a Spurs hijack.  :D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #11: Dec 31, 2012 11:06:58 am
      I'd keep Hendo in, play Johnson at lb and Wisdom at RB. If Sturridge is fit I'd give him a go possibly at expense of Sterling but more realistically expect him on the bench....after all Llorente has to start surely  :cool-smiley-027:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #12: Dec 31, 2012 11:13:00 am
      Hope the virus doesn't spread to anyone else in the squad, another must win game here.

Same team for me, just put Wisdom in at RB and shift Glen to the left. If Hendo isn't fit then I'd put Sahin in there.

Only watched Sunderland a few times this season. Not sure if I caught them on off days but they hardly offered any threat at all. Johnson's overrated and they look weak in the middle of the park.

3-0, Suarez x2 and Gerrard.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #13: Dec 31, 2012 11:15:25 am

Why is that George?

Do you not have faith in Brendan; are you doubting his ability to chose the right player for the system?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #14: Dec 31, 2012 11:21:50 am
      Why is that George?

Do you not have faith in Brendan; are you doubting his ability to chose the right player for the system?

I don't rate Sturridge and think there could easily be better players out there beyond the borders of our own country

I think he is another overrated British player

So yes I have worries about his signings and future signings at the moment
      Redangel

• 8,338 posts | 1011 
      Reply #15: Dec 31, 2012 11:23:19 am
      Feeling much more confident about this one after yesterday , don't know why , 'cos let's face it , it's a gamble which team turns up. Still , going for a win 2-0 to us.
      Oh , and a message for Brendan , please don't give them New Year's Day off .   :f_tongueincheek:

A very happy , successful and  peaceful New Year to one all .   :) xxxxx:action-smiley-065: :)
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #16: Dec 31, 2012 11:48:45 am
      Another 3 points wouldn't go amiss....lets start 2013 with a home win
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #17: Dec 31, 2012 11:54:00 am
      If the 5 teams above us drop points and we take all 3 it narrows the gap further for us to push for 4th,but we have found ourselves on a couple of occcassions in this position but never made it count.

Hoping to smash these.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: Dec 31, 2012 12:17:49 pm
      I don't rate Sturridge and think there could easily be better players out there beyond the borders of our own country

Fair enough but why do you think Brendan's judgement shouldn't be trusted on this one?

Anyhows maybe that's for another thread; don't want to clutter this up with my curiosity.

Time to build on our points tally with this game.

Sure we have been erratic/inconsistent but the truth is that I would much rather have had the 12 points, over six games, (which included two defeats) than the pish-poor 10 from seven games Stoke through Swansea (in which we went unbeaten). Sunderland, at home, is the type of game that can give us a lift with two wins on the bounce.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #19: Dec 31, 2012 02:27:18 pm
                                   Reina

Wisdom         Skrtel        Agger       Johnson

Lucas        Sahin

Gerrard

Sterling                                Assaidi

Suarez
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #20: Dec 31, 2012 02:32:05 pm
      First off - lets forget how many points we are off 6th or 4th or even 2nd..!

Sunderland for me are a very physical side, who will no doubt counter quickly - and with power. This is exactly the side we dont want to face at this point in time, however they are easily beatable. I expect them to score at least one against us, they have managed this against City, Spurs, Utd and Newcastle so they are a danger.

In our last outing we had 20 shot against them, 9 on target and scored 1 goal. This is a problem I hope we have solved... It will be great to see how we compaire with the earlier game this season...

It is now time we can really look to see if there has been improvement - and how far we have come... Being at home I expect a win here - and we really need to start putting a streak together - not for anything more than pride and beleif.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #21: Dec 31, 2012 02:35:44 pm
      Just get the 3 points, don't matter how we get it. The roller coaster ride must stop and start winning. Have a good start in 2013!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #22: Dec 31, 2012 02:58:15 pm
      Wonder who we'll play at LB. Johnson? Downing? Agger? If it were me, I'd put Glen on the left because Adam Johnson is going to constantly cut in. With Glen being right-footed, he'll cut in onto Johnson's stronger foot.

Quick Reply