Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool v Sunderland, Wednesday 2nd January, KO: 19:45 Pre-match build up

Read 9991 times
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Re: Liverpool v Sunderland, Wednesday 2nd January, KO: 19:45 Pre-match build up
      Reply #69: Jan 02, 2013 03:14:27 pm
      Sturride deal announced of LFC.TV
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #70: Jan 02, 2013 03:17:59 pm
      Like most here I'm cautiously optimistic about tonight. This season has come back and kicked us in the balls too many times after a win for any over confidence.

Mignolet is in the form of his life for them so we're going to need more than Suarez threatening him. Much like us they rely heavily on one man for their goals, Fletcher. He got the opener against us at The Stadium of Light, which if memory serves me right was a sloppy goal to concede.

We should dominate at home. I can see them relying on the counter attack and packing the mid field. I think seeing as we'll be missing Enrique whoever comes in for him will be a target and I expect them to put Adam Johnson against Wisdom/Downing/Robinson and look to set up Fletcher.

They're starting XI against Spurs was; Mignolet, Gardner, O'Shea, Cuellar, Kilgallon, Johnson, Larson, Colback, McClean, Sessegnon, Fletcher

We should be well able to beat that team. The Defence is slow and a bit of a patch job, Suarez should give them nightmares. If he gets runners in support we should easily carve them open and create spaces for chances. They look like they'll pack the midfield but if our midfield performs as well as they did against QPR we should keep their supply short. McClean and Johnson look like the biggest threat for supplying Fletcher, so our wingers need to track back and support the full backs. No nonsense defending is needed from Skrtel and Agger to keep Fletcher quiet. He's not a flair player like Luis who'll create chances from nothing, but he is a grafter and will run all day to get a chance, if the ball id in the area clear it, no bollocking around.

I'd start with;

Basically the same as QPR except Wisdom and Suso come in. I'd pick Wisdom at RB instead of Downing at LB because as I say I think their supply will come from out wide and Wisdom is a defender first and foremost even though he adds to our attack, whereas Downing for me is there to add to the attack more so than the defence.

Suso starts over Downing as well because I think his creativity can open up space for Suarez. But he needs to be more adventurous and get into the box, just take a chance and he might get that first league goal, he just needs to get into the positions.

I'm going with the same midfield because I think they played very well against QPR but as well as that they are good at pressing and winning the ball back. Henderson has the legs to run all day, we need to utilise that to our advantage.

As I said I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The last time we played them at Anfield was the first game of last season, we bossed the game and should have run away with it. We drew 1-1 and that was the first of what is now an all to familiar outcome. Tonight we right the wrongs and get this year off to a flier. We tw*t these and work to strong second half of the season.

I'll say 2-0, Suarez brace. But I'd like to see Sterling or Suso chip in.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #71: Jan 02, 2013 05:01:31 pm
      Reina, Wisdom, Agger, Srktel, Johnson, Lucas, Hendo, Stevie, Sterling, Suarez, Downing.

A win is needed here, otherwise the win at QPR means nothing, esp with the upcoming fixtures we have too.
      zxZXzx
      • Forum John Toshack

• 254 posts |
      Reply #72: Jan 02, 2013 05:10:13 pm
      Cmon Liverpool!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #73: Jan 02, 2013 05:18:16 pm
      I would go with Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Reply #74: Jan 02, 2013 05:22:55 pm
      IF downing doesnt start today it could well be assumed that there is no need to advertise him anymore . A bid must be in place. Else unfortunately he starts.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #75: Jan 02, 2013 05:29:06 pm
      I, along with God beleive this will be the starting 11 for tonights game.

Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Downing; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Henderson, Sterling, Suarez.

When I say God, you all know who I mean - it's what he thinks it will be tonight - and I would go with that too...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #76: Jan 02, 2013 05:37:30 pm

Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Downing; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Henderson, Sterling, Suarez.

When I say God, you all know who I mean - it's what he thinks it will be tonight - and I would go with that too...
      Has Robbie Fowler had a word Dan?
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #77: Jan 02, 2013 05:41:37 pm
      Has Robbie Fowler had a word Dan?

wish God was playing.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #78: Jan 02, 2013 05:44:39 pm

Don't we all.  :)
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #79: Jan 02, 2013 05:46:48 pm

4 in midfield or Henderson RB or RW?
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #80: Jan 02, 2013 05:47:12 pm
      good cos i stand to make alot of money if Danny or Martin score if Luis scores i make my money back (just);D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #81: Jan 02, 2013 05:55:53 pm
      Looking forward to this one and like our previous game a team we should be beating.

I think the boss will go with Downing LB so interesting to see who else is selected.

I'd leave midfield as it is for this one as I though the three played well against QPR.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #82: Jan 02, 2013 06:04:24 pm
      good cos i stand to make alot of money if Danny or Martin score if Luis scores i make my money back (just);D

Pretty bold putting money on Danny scoring when the lad has just signed for us today!!   :f_tongueincheek:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #83: Jan 02, 2013 06:06:18 pm
      Pretty bold putting money on Danny scoring when the lad has just signed for us today!!   :f_tongueincheek:

Perhaps Danny Agger?
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #84: Jan 02, 2013 06:13:02 pm
      £5 on Glen Johnson for me 3-1 might throw a £10 on Luis to score anytime
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #85: Jan 02, 2013 06:14:13 pm

Apparently the sarcasm wasn't properly conveyed with the emoticon I chose....
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #86: Jan 02, 2013 06:44:25 pm
      I'm about to create an excuse to leave work earlier and get home in time to watch the match. Wish me luck.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #87: Jan 02, 2013 06:50:26 pm

It was Danny Welbeck we signed today wasnt it ?
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,637 posts | 130 
      Reply #88: Jan 02, 2013 06:53:04 pm
      The team in full is: Reina, Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Downing, Sterling, Suarez. Subs: Jones, Sahin, Shelvey, Carragher, Robinson, Allen, Suso.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lucas-starts-listen-live-1
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #89: Jan 02, 2013 06:56:16 pm
      Sahin is on the bench!
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #90: Jan 02, 2013 06:57:17 pm
      Good side that. Hope Downing continues his recent form.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #91: Jan 02, 2013 06:59:39 pm
      Good to see young Wisdom back in the team.  :gt-happyup:

Quick Reply