Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Rafa the right man?

Yes
      (74.5%)
      No
      (25.5%)

The great big Rafa debate

Read 472998 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      The great big Rafa debate
      Oct 05, 2007 11:39:49 am
      We have exciting attacking players in the likes of Voronin, Gerrard, Torres, Babel, Benayoun, Pennant, Leto and more but we have been far from impressive in front of goal. Starting to question if Rafa's tactics are the right ones for our team. He seems to be more interested in defence rather than scoring goals. Ever since the Derby game we have struggled to find the back of the net. I think the Marseille game was our low point for the season and things can only get better but when? I would like to see a more attacking formation and an attacking mindset from the boys this week against Spurs. Our defence couldnt get better right now and i would like to see Rafa change things up or risk his job being put in jeopardy. I love Rafa and thank him for everything he has done to re shape the club into European title contenders but the EPL is different. Every match counts in a league, in the CL you can have a bad game and still go on to get through to the next round. If things start to improve in the next month than I say well done to him and the boys but if not then it might be time for a change.
      Your thoughts?
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010 02:46:58 pm by JD, Reason: Title changed. »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Is Rafa the right man?
      Reply #1: Oct 05, 2007 11:49:12 am
      Rafa is the best manager in the business.

Rotation reaps rewards from early March onwards.

We need to cut-down long balls to Torres from Reina (who is trying to get assist for his mate)... not one has come off this season.

We need to play patiently from the back and get neat balls through to Nando from SG, Yossi, Pennant, Babel... or whoever else can create.

We will come good - it's needs Sunday to put things right again... and we all can help there with our vocal support... for Rafa and the team.

Rafa's job will not be in contention this season - he has achieved too much to not be given another crack next season...
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #2: Oct 05, 2007 11:51:02 am
      yes he is, cant imagine why youd ask that apart from something not being right with the players and thats theyre own faults.
      leto doesnt deserve a first place spot
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #3: Oct 05, 2007 11:56:43 am
      I say though, if we can get Pako back or get someone who can help out Rafa in his selection of players and how to treat them then great I would love for Rafa to stay.
      My point is though, im not sure he is the right man to lead us to the title if he has too much pride and defends his policy.
      I admit though, time will tell if it works out and im willing to wait. But to be honest, the board will be thinking of a new man in the back of their minds if he doesnt get the title after talking up his tactics and rotation policy.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Oct 05, 2007 12:09:47 pm
      i don't believe for a second that anyone thinks theres somebody out there who could come in and do a better job then him. I do believe at times like Wednesday for example that he could take the reins off and let the team attack more as a unit when we need a goal and as Ive said before i think that we should have a base of 6 players who play regularly and rotate the rest but thats only my view and I'm pretty sure Rafa knows what hes doing in that regard

so to answer the question bloody sure hes the right man
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #5: Oct 05, 2007 12:11:12 pm
      Of course he is...I have full faith and confidence in the man. He'll get it right, just a little tweak here and there. A little cynical to be asking that question now already, don't you think?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #6: Oct 05, 2007 12:16:52 pm
      Im not implying to get rid of him this season. It would shake the team up too much and we would be worse off. I say though, change in the managerial staff may be needed to get our game back to the top. The loss of Pako has impacted on the squad majorly, imagine if we got rid of our head coach. We would be ending up like Chelsea.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: Oct 05, 2007 12:18:15 pm
      I can't believe this is even being discussed. Fickle jst isn't a strong enough word, but it's the best I can come up with to sum up this opinion. I think you need to have long hard look at where we were three years ago and where we are now and re-assess your opinion.

FFS a couple of bad results & people want to sack the best manager we've had in years? Madness, absolute madness.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Oct 05, 2007 12:19:35 pm
      I say though, if we can get Pako back or get someone who can help out Rafa in his selection of players and how to treat them then great I would love for Rafa to stay.
      My point is though, im not sure he is the right man to lead us to the title if he has too much pride and defends his policy.
      I admit though, time will tell if it works out and im willing to wait. But to be honest, the board will be thinking of a new man in the back of their minds if he doesnt get the title after talking up his tactics and rotation policy.

Rafa asked for two years to get the prem title when he met G&H ...with the Real Madrid's offer in his back pocket.

If he doesn't win it this year or looks like not winning it next season - he won't need to be pushed.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Oct 05, 2007 12:22:00 pm
      I do agree we should do all our best to get Pako back to Melwood and sitting next to Rafa during games.

Pako, ironically, is still on the Anfield payroll... (paid gardening leave this season).

Pako & Rafa are a winning team and "could" be crap without eachother... I hope this "crap" never materialises though!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #10: Oct 05, 2007 12:23:28 pm
      I guess we will have to wait and see.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #11: Oct 05, 2007 12:28:11 pm
      I'm sorry but I'm too questioning whether Rafa is the right man for the job!

And it has nothing to with being fickle.  It's looking at what you see.

Every football expert I see on the box - disagrees with Rafa's work ethics (EVERYONE) - so who's right.

Someone said above - look at where we were 3 years ago - COME ON...

Look how much money we've spent to get to where we are!  We've had to get on board a couple of YANKS to help us.

I'm going to make another BOLD statement.  I reckon we'll have a new manager next season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: Oct 05, 2007 12:34:20 pm
      Thankyou!

Not once have i bad mouthed what he has done for Liverpool. Acutally i thanked him for what he has done to make us European powerhouses. But if its the Prem we want then maybe it is a time for change or some tweaks with his staff.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Oct 05, 2007 12:34:54 pm
      then it might be time for a change.
      Your thoughts?

I'm sorry but I'm too questioning whether Rafa is the right man for the job!
       We've had to get on board a couple of YANKS to help us.

Yes I think it would be time for a  change.Time for you guys to change your team!!!!!!!(maybe chelski or spurs)
      They are americans and going by your degrading tone i'd say you don't how to appreciate a good thing when you have it.
      How dare you  :o A true fan doesn't kick their team when their down they support them like never before.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 12:48:36 pm by aw1 »
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #14: Oct 05, 2007 12:35:21 pm
      I believe we need a good no.2.  Since we've lost Paco, things have changed.  It is also well documented that Rafa does not get too involved with the players and that Paco was the friendly face (good cop).  

Rafa is stubborn and all the greats were stubborn.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #15: Oct 05, 2007 12:39:02 pm
      It's easy to question a strategy that comes good from March to May in October.

I often want to kick Andy Gray straight in the cojones for making a media issue of rotation week-in, week-out.

We just need to start winning now...so that our form in the later stages of cup/league brings trophies!

THE FACTS AMIGOS... the facts are that too many big players are playing sh*te at the minute... and none of them playing more sh*te that our beloved Stevie Gerrard himself.

If he and a couple of others turn their form STARTING on Sunday versus Spurs - we will be up and flying again without a mention of Rafa's rotation, Pako any other similiar topics... altough in truth getting Pako back would be great idea for morale!

If we have a new manager next season it would be more because Rafa or his family wants to go back to Spain... that anything to do with his achievements at Liverpool.

In my book Rafael Benitez is ALREADY a living Liverpool FC LEGEND...and will never walk alone.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16: Oct 05, 2007 12:52:23 pm

Every football expert I see on the box - disagrees with Rafa's work ethics (EVERYONE) - so who's right.

if they are such bloody experts what are they doing on telly why arent they managing a club or country
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #17: Oct 05, 2007 12:57:14 pm
      Look how much money we've spent to get to where we are!  We've had to get on board a couple of YANKS to help us.

Total transfer spending under Benitez: £126m give or take a few quid.
      Total transfer revenue under Benitez: £63m, again give or take.
      Net transfer spending under Benitez: £63m

That's roughly £15m per season, hardly massive amounts by todays standards. Man Utd & Chelsea have spent far more in that time, Rafa has hardly been on the spending spree people imply. Look at our squad in 2004 & now, and tell me that hasn't been worth £15m a season?
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #18: Oct 05, 2007 01:25:51 pm
      This is f**king ridiculous that people are even discussing this!  :f_steam:

As I pointed out in another thread, Wednesday night was only our first defeat of the season!

Think about what you are saying before you make very very rash, comments.

1 Champions League winners medal
      1 Champions League losers medal
      1 FA Cup winners medal
      1 League Cup losers medal
      1 European Super Cup winners medal
      Qualification for Champions League 3 out of 3!

Yeh, your right, sh*te manager! Sack 'im quick! :f_tongueincheek:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #19: Oct 05, 2007 01:28:38 pm
      How dare you  :o A true fan doesn't kick their team when their down they support them like never before.

Well said mate this is exactally the sort of topic you never want to see on a Liverpool fansite.  Rafa has done an amazing job since he joined in 2004 and I for one have always respected his rotation policy and the way he rests even the top players if he feels he needs too.  The real question should be is this the right team for you crouchinho? you sound more like someone who only wants to support Liverpool when they are winning.  If Rafa did leave this season for whatever reason who do you think would be up to the challenge of finishing what he has worked so hard to achieve?

I'm going to make another BOLD statement.  I reckon we'll have a new manager next season.

you and your bold statements ::), I can't see this one having much substance at all.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #20: Oct 05, 2007 01:30:42 pm
      This is f**king ridiculous that people are even discussing this!  :f_steam:

As I pointed out in another thread, Wednesday night was only our first defeat of the season!

Think about what you are saying before you make very very rash, comments.

1 Champions League winners medal
      1 Champions League losers medal
      1 FA Cup winners medal
      1 League Cup losers medal
      1 European Super Cup winners medal
      Qualification for Champions League 3 out of 3!

Yeh, your right, sh*te manager! Sack 'im quick! :f_tongueincheek:

Another - let's stay positive person!

At this present moment in time - we are playing the worst football I've ever seen Liverpool play...since a certain French bloke was at the realm!

No Question - No arguments.

In answer to your Achievements to date....I'd be confident enough to say:

It takes a Good manager to win a CUP.
      It takes a Great manager to win the LEAGUE.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #21: Oct 05, 2007 01:34:08 pm
      if they are such bloody experts what are they doing on telly why arent they managing a club or country

Why aren't you on the telly or managing a club then - if that's your point - why are you making an opinion on here?

An ex-professional footballer know's more about Managers/Tactics ect ect than us bunch of mugs!

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #22: Oct 05, 2007 01:34:59 pm
      It takes a Good manager to win a CUP.
      It takes a Great manager to win the LEAGUE.

It takes in-form players to win ANYTHING even if the manager is Jesus Christ himself!!!

Leave Rafa alone.

We need to support the off-form players back into the talented-form they can deliver.

The rest will come by default as we have one of the (if not the) best managers in the business.

Let's all get behind the team on Sunday eh...? and stop smoking our negative-socks?

Supporters = Support.

In Good Time and Bad.

Glory Hunters go Support Chavski.

Quick Reply