Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Is Rafa the right man?

Yes
      (74.5%)
      No
      (25.5%)

The great big Rafa debate

Read 474571 times
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Re: Is Rafa the right man?
      Reply #23: Oct 05, 2007 01:38:52 pm
      It takes in-form players to win ANYTHING even if the manager is Jesus Christ himself!!!

Leave Rafa alone.

We need to support the off-form players back into the talented-form they can deliver.

The rest will come by default as we have one of the (if not the) best managers in the business.

Let's all get behind the team on Sunday eh...? and stop smoking our negative-socks?

Supporters = Support.

In Good Time and Bad.

Glory Hunters go Support Chavski.

Surely everyone wants to be a GLORY HUNTER - if you do not, go support Everton mate!

It does take a great manager to win the League.  Every team that has won the league has had that:

Dalglish, Red Nose, Wenger and Moroninho - can't argue with the pedigree here!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #24: Oct 05, 2007 01:39:35 pm
      Why aren't you on the telly or managing a club then - if that's your point - why are you making an opinion on here?

An ex-professional footballer know's more about Managers/Tactics ect ect than us bunch of mugs!

Hate to admit it but you do have a good point there Richobaz :) I have a question for you
      When was the last time Liverpool had a new manager and you thought "this is great he'll win us the league for sure"?
      I'm thinking your answer is probably the same as mine  ;)
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #25: Oct 05, 2007 01:39:49 pm

It takes a Good manager to win a CUP.
      It takes a Great manager to win the LEAGUE.

Your completely right it does take a Great manager to win the League.

By the way, how did Rafa do when he managed Valencia? I can't seem to remeber...
      Oh! and how many games have lost in the league this year?

Your judging the man on one loss in the champions league and then questioning weither hes good enough to win the league. Sort out your facts and arguments first, before you add another post!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #26: Oct 05, 2007 01:41:48 pm
      It takes in-form players to win ANYTHING even if the manager is Jesus Christ himself!!!

Leave Rafa alone.

We need to support the off-form players back into the talented-form they can deliver.

The rest will come by default as we have one of the (if not the) best managers in the business.

Let's all get behind the team on Sunday eh...? and stop smoking our negative-socks?

Supporters = Support.

In Good Time and Bad.

Glory Hunters go Support Chavski.

Hats off too you mate you speak like a true gentleman of football  ;D
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #27: Oct 05, 2007 01:45:05 pm
      Your completely right it does take a Great manager to win the League.

By the way, how did Rafa do when he managed Valencia? I can't seem to remeber...
      Oh! and how many games have lost in the league this year?

Your judging the man on one loss in the champions league and then questioning weither hes good enough to win the league. Sort out your facts and arguments first, before you add another post!
      Couldn't care less what he did at Valencia - I'm basing this on what I see now!

You cannot base this on that.

I hope he does prove me wrong.

ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #28: Oct 05, 2007 01:47:18 pm
      Of course Rafa is the right man for the job,

a question like that surely shouldn't be said so early in the season, one bad game against Marseille just only shows how much we miss Pako and that we need more quality in depth for the squad.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #29: Oct 05, 2007 01:51:21 pm
      a question like that surely shouldn't be said so early in the season, one bad game against Marseille just only shows how much we miss Pako and that we need more quality in depth for the squad.

I say we could have done with Pennant for the killer balls in to Torres (do I say that too often?)
      well whatever it's true pity he was suspended really we could have seen different results (yossi is too f00kin greedy with the ball and tries to be the hero rather than the support)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,368 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Oct 05, 2007 01:52:16 pm
      Why aren't you on the telly or managing a club then - if that's your point - why are you making an opinion on here?

An ex-professional footballer know's more about Managers/Tactics ect ect than us bunch of mugs!

never claimed i was an expert and if you seen my head youd know why im not on telly!! seriously tho the lads who sit in the studio may have played the game or managed at some level and are entitled to an opinion but because Jamie Redknapp or andy gray or whoever says rafa is wrong doesnt mean he is its there view. But they arent working with the Liverpool players day in day out are they.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #31: Oct 05, 2007 01:53:03 pm
      Hats off too you mate you speak like a true gentleman of football  ;D

Seconded.Gloryhunting t**ts we can do without, its the likes of ye that boo and tarnish the reputation that liverpool have and everything L.F.C. stands for since 1892 !
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #32: Oct 05, 2007 01:55:06 pm
      Seconded.Gloryhunting t**ts we can do without, its the likes of ye that boo and tarnish the reputation that liverpool have and everything L.F.C. stands for since 1892 !

Here, Here
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #33: Oct 05, 2007 01:55:13 pm
      It takes a Good manager to win a CUP.
      It takes a Great manager to win the LEAGUE.

Glad to hear you rate Howard Kendall and Howard Wilkinson as greats!

I have ventured on here less and less because of doughnuts with the i want it now attitude, yes we are impatient to win the Premier league but to be discussing whether Rafa should be on his bike this early in the season has frankly left me P**ssed off enough to log on during work hours so risking a boll**king.
      The supporters?? who have started to raise their ugly heads and moan and boo or even question Rafa's position are frankly not even worth a rant off me, and should be following the mancs or Chelsea as said earlier, as i for one have never in my forty years of following the reds heard such ill informed crap in all my life, i'am not an optimist iam a red and will support them till i die. Gotta go

supĀ·port   Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suh-pawrt, -pohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation ā€“verb (used with object) 1. to bear or hold up (a load, mass, structure, part, etc.); serve as a foundation for.  
      2. to sustain or withstand (weight, pressure, strain, etc.) without giving way; serve as a prop for.  
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #34: Oct 05, 2007 02:04:47 pm

I have ventured on here less and less because of doughnuts with the I want it now attitude, yes we are impatient to win the Premier league but to be discussing whether Rafa should be on his bike this early in the season has frankly left me P**ssed off enough to log on during work hours so risking a boll**king.
      The supporters?? who have started to raise their ugly heads and moan and boo or even question Rafa's position are frankly not even worth a rant off me, and should be following the mancs or Chelsea as said earlier, as I for one have never in my forty years of following the reds heard such ill informed crap in all my life, I'am not an optimist iam a red and will support them till I die. Gotta go

supĀ·port   Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[suh-pawrt, -pohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation ā€“verb (used with object) 1. to bear or hold up (a load, mass, structure, part, etc.); serve as a foundation for.  
      2. to sustain or withstand (weight, pressure, strain, etc.) without giving way; serve as a prop for.  

Not even noticed you'd not been around Glenbuck?

Amazing how you take my comment about Great Managers and you venture back to the 2nd world war...to dig up some names.

Both those men are probably regarded as greats for the respective clubs.

This whole dicscussion - is surely based on the terrible football we are playing - and the Manager has to take the can for this.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #35: Oct 05, 2007 02:11:13 pm

I have ventured on here less and less because of doughnuts with the I want it now attitude, yes we are impatient to win the Premier league but to be discussing whether Rafa should be on his bike this early in the season has frankly left me P**ssed off enough to log on during work hours so risking a boll**king.
      The supporters?? who have started to raise their ugly heads and moan and boo or even question Rafa's position are frankly not even worth a rant off me, and should be following the mancs or Chelsea as said earlier, as I for one have never in my forty years of following the reds heard such ill informed crap in all my life, I'am not an optimist iam a red and will support them till I die. Gotta go

Well said mate. The only thing that upset me about your post is the fact you mention you venture on here less and less. I for one have noticed!!!!

Is Rafa the right man? We'll find out with continuity. We'll never have the right man if we want rid of managers as soon as things aren't rosey. So in the meantime, SUPPORT THE CLUB FFS!!!!!!
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #36: Oct 05, 2007 02:15:54 pm
      Me thinks that Richobaz works as trainee reporter for the s*n ???
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #37: Oct 05, 2007 02:19:07 pm
      Well said mate. The only thing that upset me about your post is the fact you mention you venture on here less and less. I for one have noticed!!!!

Is Rafa the right man? We'll find out with continuity. We'll never have the right man if we want rid of managers as soon as things aren't rosey. So in the meantime, SUPPORT THE CLUB FFS!!!!!!

Redkenny - again another comment, stating you clearly aren't a supporter, if you state negativity?  

This is about supporting the club - If I didn't support the club, I wouldn't have strong opinions.  Maybe it's you who just doesn't care that much - to vent any anger?

As a mod, what do you want from this site??????  

Shall we all come on here and say - everything's ok, YNWA ect ect?
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #38: Oct 05, 2007 02:21:57 pm
      Me thinks that Richobaz works as trainee reporter for the s*n ???

trainee - how dare you ;D
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #39: Oct 05, 2007 02:25:21 pm
      "I can't believe this is even being discussed. Fickle jst isn't a strong enough word, but it's the best I can come up with to sum up this opinion. I think you need to have long hard look at where we were three years ago and where we are now and re-assess your opinion.

FFS a couple of bad results & people want to sack the best manager we've had in years? Madness, absolute madness."

Totally agree with EddieC.  Of course I don't agree with everything Rafa does (Have I mentioned I don't agree with the amount of rotation that is going on?) but that doesn't take away what he has achieved to date with Liverpool or Valencia and the fact that world class players want to come to this club because Rafa is here.

Sorry Richobaz can't back you on this one.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #40: Oct 05, 2007 02:28:25 pm
      "I can't believe this is even being discussed. Fickle jst isn't a strong enough word, but it's the best I can come up with to sum up this opinion. I think you need to have long hard look at where we were three years ago and where we are now and re-assess your opinion.

FFS a couple of bad results & people want to sack the best manager we've had in years? Madness, absolute madness."

Totally agree with EddieC.  Of course I don't agree with everything Rafa does (Have I mentioned I don't agree with the amount of rotation that is going on?) but that doesn't take away what he has achieved to date with Liverpool or Valencia and the fact that world class players want to come to this club because Rafa is here.

Sorry Richobaz can't back you on this one.

Who said anything about sacking Rafa?

Just that he needs to improve things - quick!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: Oct 05, 2007 02:33:18 pm
      Redkenny - again another comment, stating you clearly aren't a supporter, if you state negativity?  

This is about supporting the club - If I didn't support the club, I wouldn't have strong opinions.  Maybe it's you who just doesn't care that much - to vent any anger?

As a mod, what do you want from this site??????  

Shall we all come on here and say - everything's ok, YNWA ect ect?

Simply expressing my opinion. Just the same as you do.

I've been around long enough to see some amazing football from the reds, plus some awful football from the reds. But I've always supported them the same way.

Unfortunately  ;), we're not all the same and we vent anger in different ways. Is that a problem for you?
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #42: Oct 05, 2007 02:39:12 pm
      RedKen - never said you're not entitled to an opinion.

But check the amount of comments from the same old faces - saying "Your clearly not a Red' - just because you show a bit of negativity or a different take on things.

Those are the sort of comments that are not needed on here - it's all about opinion's and that makes it a good site/forum.

I'm not an angry person, just want things to be perfect - which they're not!
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #43: Oct 05, 2007 02:47:47 pm
      Things airnt great at the moment yes but this is a pointless thread as yes he is the right man for the job, no team players perfect football fo the whole season, instead of having a bad start then a strong middle we've had a good start with a indifferent middle (if you can call 7 games mddle) but were still undefeted with the best defence in the league yet your saying he's not the right man? what do you want Jose to come in? ???
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #44: Oct 05, 2007 03:12:01 pm
      We have exciting attacking players in the likes of Voronin, Gerrard, Torres, Babel, Benayoun, Pennant, Leto and more but we have been far from impressive in front of goal. Starting to question if Rafa's tactics are the right ones for our team. He seems to be more interested in defence rather than scoring goals. Ever since the Derby game we have struggled to find the back of the net. I think the Marseille game was our low point for the season and things can only get better but when? I would like to see a more attacking formation and an attacking mindset from the boys this week against Spurs. Our defence couldnt get better right now and I would like to see Rafa change things up or risk his job being put in jeopardy. I love Rafa and thank him for everything he has done to re shape the club into European title contenders but the EPL is different. Every match counts in a league, in the CL you can have a bad game and still go on to get through to the next round. If things start to improve in the next month than I say well done to him and the boys but if not then it might be time for a change.
      Your thoughts?

I think you've got a short memory!  Fair enough, Wednesday's performance was very poor, the worst i've seen in a while, but that doesn't make me question whether Benitez is the right man for the job... Of course he is.  Every Manager has spells when their team selection's and Policies come under scrutiny, that's part and parcel of football, but recent history should be enough to convince most that Benitez is on the right track.  However, no Manager is safe in football, and that's a fact that has been emphasised by the Mourinho sacking, and i do think that Liverpool FC will have to be there or thereabouts in the Premiership this season, or Benitez will probably have more than doubters against his continued employment as Manager of Liverpool Football Club.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #45: Oct 05, 2007 03:15:37 pm
      I'm not an angry person, just want things to be perfect - which they're not!

Fair enough Richo. I agree with you on that. I do believe things will get better though. We've been in worse positions before.....

Quick Reply