Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Read 19416 times
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,638 posts | 131 
      Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)
      Jan 01, 2013 10:56:12 am
      Don't know if this is serious enough to post or to discuss, but i like the idea of his return so: 

Premier League: Real Madrid's Xabi Alonso would consider Liverpool return

Xabi Alonso has admitted he could return to the Premier League as his ongoing contract talks remain clouded in uncertainty at Real Madrid.

The Spain international is under terms at the Bernabeu until the summer of 2014 but his hesitation in committing his future has led to speculation.

Liverpool are reported to want to re-sign Alonso some three-and-a-half years after selling him to Real in a £30million deal and it is not yet out of the question.

Sky Bet Odds

Who would you like your team to sign this January transfer window? Click here to see the latest transfer betting odds with Sky Bet.

The 31-year-old is rumoured to only want a new rolling 12-month contract with Real but has been offered a two-year deal which has left him in a state of indecision.

"I've no idea what will happen," World Cup, Champions League, Primera Liga and European Championship winner Alonso told Spanish media.

"I have not decided on my future. I will only stay at Real Madrid if I can offer the same level on the pitch as I can now and we will see what happens in the next few months.

"There is always a chance I could go back to the Premier League as I always enjoyed good times there."

source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8374292/Premier-League-Real-Madrid-s-Xabi-Alonso-would-consider-Liverpool-return

RedLFCBlood
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)
      Reply #1: Jan 01, 2013 11:09:15 am
      If we were serious about bringing Xabi back I think he'd certainly consider it. On a personal level for him, I bet he'd love to come back here and try and help us get back challenging, he obviously still thinks a lot of the club and the fans and I think our fall from grace probably hurts him as much as it does us.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #2: Jan 01, 2013 11:09:30 am
      Even though he doesn't fit in with transfer policy what with him being a grown up and that, I'd have him back in a heart beat. He's still pinging balls about for Real like he ever did for us, sign him up!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #3: Jan 01, 2013 11:24:17 am
      There's two chances of this happening: none and none.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #4: Jan 01, 2013 11:29:02 am

There's something strange about this one that always makes me think there is the slimmest of chances it could happen. While I don't think it will, knowing Xabi and what the club does mean to him personally always stops me just short of saying no chance.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,508 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #5: Jan 01, 2013 11:37:34 am
      The days of romantic stories like this coming to fruition are a thing of the past I fear.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #6: Jan 01, 2013 12:11:11 pm
      Can't see it happening to be honest, would it be a good move if he failed to live up to expectations?.

You always have that danger getting back with an Ex.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #7: Jan 01, 2013 12:15:10 pm
      Still think he is a wonderful player, bollocks to our transfer policy.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Jan 01, 2013 12:18:30 pm
      Depends on the price. Not sure he would fit Brendans system either.

If the price is right and his motivation is right I would love him to come back. Like others I think it is very unlikely, probably just negotiating a new contract with Madrid.
      Gus
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 01, 2013 12:25:37 pm
      Can't see it happening to be honest, would it be a good move if he failed to live up to expectations?.

You always have that danger getting back with an Ex.
      Totally agree here Shabs, he was a total leg end and i would prefer to keep it that way. wonderful player for us and i wouldnt like that to be tarnished by coming back and failing. YNWA Xabi
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #10: Jan 01, 2013 01:04:29 pm
      i would take him back in a heartbeat, its not like he has forgot how to play or he is player that used to run his socks off. Xabi has always been a pass master and he still is.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Jan 01, 2013 01:12:06 pm
      i would take him back in a heartbeat, its not like he has forgot how to play or he is player that used to run his socks off. Xabi has always been a pass master and he still is.

Exactly right mate, was never quick and didn't need to be. A player that can definitely play into his mid 30's and beyond in my opinion. Stick him alongside Lucas with Gerrard further up and I better stop dreaming.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #12: Jan 01, 2013 01:20:41 pm

Slim to none actually................ ......................an d slim just left town
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #13: Jan 01, 2013 01:44:55 pm
      The serious side of me thinks he's very probably putting a bit of pressure on Real for a better contract deal, whilst at the same time putting himself in the transfer spotlight if Real don't give him a good enough offer.

The other side of me that remembers when he was the fulcrum of our midfield, the central cog of a balanced and dominating group, would love him to come back for a "Gary Mac" swansong.

Footballing-wise, knowing his class and intelligence, I'm convinced he could continue playing for a good few years. He was always able to gain the space and time to play because he was ahead of the game mentally, you don't just lose that because you turn thirty.

But at the end of the day, whilst I know he will always - always - genuinely love Liverpool, I don't think we'll pay him quite enough or show quite enough desire to draw him back. Sadly.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #14: Jan 01, 2013 03:39:04 pm
      Still think he is a wonderful player, bollocks to our transfer policy.

Our transfer policy hasn't served us well since nesv took over so time to change methinks
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,335 posts | 184 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #15: Jan 01, 2013 08:03:36 pm
      Depends on the price. Not sure he would fit Brendans system either.

If the price is right and his motivation is right I would love him to come back. Like others I think it is very unlikely, probably just negotiating a new contract with Madrid.

F**k the system
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jan 01, 2013 10:30:29 pm
      Doesn't actually say anything about returning to us, just the Premier League. Won't happen anyway because he will be deemed as "too old".
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #17: Jan 01, 2013 10:36:47 pm
      Stalling block         31    END OF
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #18: Jan 01, 2013 10:49:14 pm
      As good as he is, I don't think we should be spending money on our midfield this transfer window, much less on a player who is 31 and will require a fairly high transfer fee and then high wages.

I don't think Madrid should sell as he is one of their best players, and I think if they cannot find a replacement they won't sell him.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Jan 01, 2013 10:52:08 pm
      As good as he is, I don't think we should be spending money on our midfield this transfer window, much less on a player who is 31 and will require a fairly high transfer fee and then high wages.

I don't think Madrid should sell as he is one of their best players, and I think if they cannot find a replacement they won't sell him.

He is head and shoulders above some of our midfielders and his contract runs out in 18months and can sign a pre-contract agreement in just 12 months so Madrid wont be able to demand a massive fee for him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #20: Jan 01, 2013 11:27:45 pm
      If only these were the sort of signings we could just go out and make - because he'd make one hell of a difference
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #21: Jan 01, 2013 11:39:05 pm
      The team went downhill after he went and there are some on here that think he wouldn't work out here , it's experience we need , ye'd swear he was an old man the way ye go on . ffs
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #22: Jan 01, 2013 11:49:47 pm
      He is head and shoulders above some of our midfielders and his contract runs out in 18months and can sign a pre-contract agreement in just 12 months so Madrid wont be able to demand a massive fee for him.

Lets be serious, he's head and shoulders above every player we have, bar Suarez.

Quick Reply