Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 502806 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #2093: Jul 09, 2015 04:25:02 pm
      How good will it be when sturridge plays a full season. ;D
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2094: Jul 10, 2015 01:55:42 pm
      got a feeling he will be back end of August and not end of Sept like originally thought
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2095: Jul 15, 2015 02:51:08 pm
      Just a quick question to anyone, are you expecting or hoping that Danny will get back to the level he was at pre injuries?

It seems reading through the transfer threads and the best X1 topic that most are assuming he will but he may never regain his form or fitness.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2096: Jul 15, 2015 02:57:29 pm
      Just a quick question to anyone, are you expecting or hoping that Danny will get back to the level he was at pre injuries?

It seems reading through the transfer threads and the best X1 topic that most are assuming he will but he may never regain his form or fitness.

It seems to me that even if He is back fully fit he will not be our first choice striker, I think Brendan has lost faith in his ability to stay fit and hence Benteke looks like superseding him as our first choice striker. That's all assuming we go one up top, which is what I expect.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2097: Jul 15, 2015 03:16:25 pm

If he gets fit I think he'll absolutely regain his form, maybe even improve upon it.

Hopefully these American doctors/trainers he's been working with have figured out his issues and he'll be good to go from there.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2098: Jul 15, 2015 03:47:26 pm
      It seems to me that even if He is back fully fit he will not be our first choice striker, I think Brendan has lost faith in his ability to stay fit and hence Benteke looks like superseding him as our first choice striker. That's all assuming we go one up top, which is what I expect.

That's pretty much how I'm seeing it too mate.  I think Brendan and club generally got stung badly last summer by assuming that Danny would be available for the majority of the season and are now planning for the total opposite. 

If he gets fit I think he'll absolutely regain his form, maybe even improve upon it.

Hopefully these American doctors/trainers he's been working with have figured out his issues and he'll be good to go from there.

That's the problem for me though mate, he may never regain his fitness.  When he spent so long in the States earlier this year they hoped that his treatment there would "save his career".  The fact he's had to return for surgery doesn't bode well for him, especially as some of the talk has been about his problems being hereditory.  His Uncle Dean was a phenominal striker in his early years but he averaged around 20 games a season over a 10 year career due to his injury problems.

I accept that medical science has improved immensely in the last 15 years, especially in sports but I can see why it appears that we are planning our future away from him being our main striker.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2099: Jul 15, 2015 05:37:09 pm
      That's pretty much how I'm seeing it too mate.  I think Brendan and club generally got stung badly last summer by assuming that Danny would be available for the majority of the season and are now planning for the total opposite. 

That's the problem for me though mate, he may never regain his fitness.  When he spent so long in the States earlier this year they hoped that his treatment there would "save his career".  The fact he's had to return for surgery doesn't bode well for him, especially as some of the talk has been about his problems being hereditory.  His Uncle Dean was a phenominal striker in his early years but he averaged around 20 games a season over a 10 year career due to his injury problems.

I accept that medical science has improved immensely in the last 15 years, especially in sports but I can see why it appears that we are planning our future away from him being our main striker.

I don't profess to know much about sports science in Europe Deb, but as for the States, I can tell you that we have some of the best and brightest in the world in sports medicine (science) especially exploring revolutionary techniques and treatments to help athletes optimal levels of fitness. Without trying to sound nationalistically prideful, if Danny's problems are going to get worked out, I'd put money on him getting them worked out over here.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2100: Jul 15, 2015 06:09:46 pm

Expecting.
      The injuries are a series of niggles rather than one really bad injury, and it's something that has disrupted his career to date.

Who knows, maybe the big bad men in Boston will actually find a way to make him less injury prone.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2101: Jul 15, 2015 06:16:15 pm
      I definitely think Sturridge can get fit again. He's hardly played for well over a year now, so any "niggling" injuries must have had a good old heal up. When he does get fit, my suspicion is even those who are bemoaning the pursuit of Benteke might just get to see a strike force which scares the absolute living sh!t out of every team we play against. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2102: Jul 15, 2015 06:23:10 pm
      I don't profess to know much about sports science in Europe Deb, but as for the States, I can tell you that we have some of the best and brightest in the world in sports medicine (science) especially exploring revolutionary techniques and treatments to help athletes optimal levels of fitness. Without trying to sound nationalistically prideful, if Danny's problems are going to get worked out, I'd put money on him getting them worked out over here.

I would imagine we're years behind you guys mate so you have every right to be proud of the work being done there.  Like you say, if there's to be a breakthrough for him they'll find a way, apart from anything else our owners realise how valuable an asset he is so will do whatever it takes to fix him.

I like that we appear to be planning for the worst though, as although he may regain enough fitness to start training again come September he's still missed the best part of 12 months playing time and I doubt we'll see him at anything like his best until the New Year.  Our season could be over with by then if we're hoping he's back sooner.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2103: Jul 15, 2015 06:26:24 pm
      Expecting.
      The injuries are a series of niggles rather than one really bad injury, and it's something that has disrupted his career to date.

Who knows, maybe the big bad men in Boston will actually find a way to make him less injury prone.

Sometimes those niggles can be more debilitating than one serious one though mate.

I hope he does get back to his best as he's absolutely deadly in front of goal when on form.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2104: Jul 15, 2015 06:32:49 pm
      Sometimes those niggles can be more debilitating than one serious one though mate.

I hope he does get back to his best as he's absolutely deadly in front of goal when on form.

That's true if there is something fundamentally wrong with a player, Owen for example, but all I see is a series of muscle injuries that are unrelated (to me anyway), but I'm probably completely wrong, and they are related in some way.
      If he was getting deep tissue injuries around the joint areas, I'd certainly be a lot less optimistic, especially given his speed.

I suppose it's the same as ever and we'll just have to wait and see.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #2105: Jul 15, 2015 06:35:00 pm
      I would imagine we're years behind you guys mate so you have every right to be proud of the work being done there.  Like you say, if there's to be a breakthrough for him they'll find a way, apart from anything else our owners realise how valuable an asset he is so will do whatever it takes to fix him.

I like that we appear to be planning for the worst though, as although he may regain enough fitness to start training again come September he's still missed the best part of 12 months playing time and I doubt we'll see him at anything like his best until the New Year.  Our season could be over with by then if we're hoping he's back sooner.

What's odd to me is how fit he was during our title run year. I don't remember if he missed any games? Maybe one?

It's just weird that he got hit so hard last year and who knows...may not be a coincidence with Zaf leaving...maybe he had attended to Danny's personaly issues better?

You've got a lot of the American athletes doing all kinds of weird things to keep themselves fit...sleeping in hyperbaric chambers for example. Wondering if we shouldn't get Danny one for his house and make him stay in there during every second away from Melwood ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2106: Jul 15, 2015 06:42:54 pm
      That's true if there is something fundamentally wrong with a player, Owen for example, but all I see is a series of muscle injuries that are unrelated (to me anyway), but I'm probably completely wrong, and they are related in some way.
      If he was getting deep tissue injuries around the joint areas, I'd certainly be a lot less optimistic, especially given his speed.

I suppose it's the same as ever and we'll just have to wait and see.

I think that's what the recent surgery was for mate, some problem with his hip joint that was causing him to have muscle injuries in and around his thigh.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2107: Jul 15, 2015 06:48:04 pm
      What's odd to me is how fit he was during our title run year. I don't remember if he missed any games? Maybe one?

It's just weird that he got hit so hard last year and who knows...may not be a coincidence with Zaf leaving...maybe he had attended to Danny's personaly issues better?

You've got a lot of the American athletes doing all kinds of weird things to keep themselves fit...sleeping in hyperbaric chambers for example. Wondering if we shouldn't get Danny one for his house and make him stay in there during every second away from Melwood ;D

He missed 9 games from Nov 13 to Jan 14 with ankle ligament problems but that's totally different to his ongoing injuries which have mainly been his hamstring/groin where he's missed a total of 38 games or 336 days since Nov 2012.  That's not a good record at all.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2108: Jul 15, 2015 07:01:33 pm
      I think that's what the recent surgery was for mate, some problem with his hip joint that was causing him to have muscle injuries in and around his thigh.

Didn't know that.
      In that case, everything might depend on how he recovers.
      I mean he won't lose his technique overnight, but if it affected his speed, that would be a big concern.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2109: Jul 15, 2015 07:05:07 pm
      Didn't know that.
      In that case, everything might depend on how he recovers.
      I mean he won't lose his technique overnight, but if it affected his speed, that would be a big concern.

His speed and power mate.  Look how the groin injuries effected Stevie the last few seasons.  I know it's not his groin but I think what they found over in the States earlier in the year had them worried that he may never fully recover.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2110: Jul 15, 2015 07:11:20 pm
      His speed and power mate.  Look how the groin injuries effected Stevie the last few seasons.  I know it's not his groin but I think what they found over in the States earlier in the year had them worried that he may never fully recover.

I thought with Gerrard it was the post op infections and the loss of tissue that caused him major problems, both on his ankle and adductor injuries. I had post op infection problems after a hip replacement, and they've had a quite dramatic effect on my golf swing.
      It's not the same thing, I know, but as long as he doesn't get infections like Gerrard had, and his rehab is good (remember how Gerrard kept trying to rush back), hopefully he still has that explosive pace.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2111: Jul 15, 2015 07:21:16 pm
      I thought with Gerrard it was the post op infections and the loss of tissue that caused him major problems, both on his ankle and adductor injuries. I had post op infection problems after a hip replacement, and they've had a quite dramatic effect on my golf swing.
      It's not the same thing, I know, but as long as he doesn't get infections like Gerrard had, and his rehab is good (remember how Gerrard kept trying to rush back), hopefully he still has that explosive pace.

That's very true mate, the loss of tissue due to infection is bad for anyone.  You never get that freedom of movement back afterwards. 

Hope you're on the way back to a full recovery mate, losing your golf swing can be devastating, especially for your missus   :f_whistle:
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2112: Jul 15, 2015 07:22:19 pm
      I'm completely confident Sturridge will be able to get back to his best, but I'm not sure how long-term or sustainable he is. I think we should consider him a bit of a luxury player. World class when fit, but always with an eye on the next injury.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2113: Jul 15, 2015 08:03:11 pm
      I'm completely confident Sturridge will be able to get back to his best, but I'm not sure how long-term or sustainable he is. I think we should consider him a bit of a luxury player. World class when fit, but always with an eye on the next injury.

Unfortunately I agree. I think Studge is perfectly capable of finding the form he was in in that year alongside Suarez, but whether or not he'll be able to play the majority of a season I really doubt. I hope we're wrong here and this latest recuperation period in the states has helped alleviate some of his more long-standing injuries, but thats the problem right there... he's got several recurring injuries in different places, ankle and hip seem to be the most common I think?
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #2114: Jul 24, 2015 04:34:37 am
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmUOjePdNg

Danny boy getting fit and ready for the new season.
      Much hopeful he can stay fit all season. Guaranteed top 4 if that happens.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6816 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2115: Jul 24, 2015 09:24:19 am
      He'll be like a brand new signing. Let's hope he stays fit for the rest of his Liverpool career. Will make the world of difference for us.

Quick Reply