Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 495393 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #2254: Oct 17, 2015 03:36:11 pm
      Any updates on how bad the injury is?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2255: Oct 17, 2015 03:38:19 pm
      Any updates on how bad the injury is?

Some swelling to his knee after colliding with Ibe in training, is what I've heard Mags.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2256: Oct 17, 2015 03:53:51 pm
      Some swelling to his knee after colliding with Ibe in training, is what I've heard Mags.

I've never seen someone so brittle in my life. Such a shame.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2257: Oct 17, 2015 03:55:07 pm
      I've never seen someone so brittle in my life. Such a shame.

Jürgen said it's not serious and due to our other injuries didn't want to risk him mate, so hopefully he'll be back for Ruben on Thursday.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #2258: Oct 17, 2015 03:55:38 pm
      Jürgen said it's not serious and due to our other injuries didn't want to risk him mate, so hopefully he'll be back for Ruben on Thursday.

Fingers crossed Debs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2259: Oct 17, 2015 03:59:21 pm

Yep, could have been a different result today with him playing but it gave Jürgen a good look at Origi to see what he needs to work on in future.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2260: Oct 17, 2015 04:07:09 pm
      I don't think he should be forced against Rubin, given how shaky our attack looks in this moment, rest him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2261: Oct 17, 2015 07:24:13 pm
      Said it before we can't rely on Sturridge he's just too brittle, Brendan realised this and hence why he went in for Benteke unfortunately he's also injury prone!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #2262: Oct 17, 2015 07:36:04 pm
      FFS again😳😳😳👎
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,766 posts | 6723 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2263: Oct 18, 2015 06:39:19 am
      Thought this comment on FB was hilarious.  :lmao: :lmao:

https://www.facebook.com/bewarmers/videos/810490299061413/

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2264: Oct 20, 2015 11:38:07 am
      Was just a training ground knock bfre the game at wknd, and after so many serious injuries they did not want to risk him.

Back for Europa this Thursday.
      Pa7rick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #2265: Oct 20, 2015 11:45:14 am
      Hope he is left out of the starting line-up given his injury recorded maybe let him have 20-30 mins at most just for sharpness with the next game in mind.i would prefer him starting a league game than a half arsed euro tie
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2266: Oct 20, 2015 12:17:08 pm
      Hope he is left out of the starting line-up given his injury recorded maybe let him have 20-30 mins at most just for sharpness with the next game in mind.i would prefer him starting a league game than a half arsed euro tie

That's the dilemma when do you actually play him with the fear he might get injured?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2267: Oct 20, 2015 12:38:57 pm
      I don't think he should be forced against Rubin, given how shaky our attack looks in this moment, rest him.

Rest him he is the most rested player in the clubs history get the lad out on the pitch scoring goals
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2268: Oct 20, 2015 01:16:57 pm
      Rest him he is the most rested player in the clubs history get the lad out on the pitch scoring goals

I wish we could, but lets face reality, to keep him fresh and possibly fit for the whole season, we should consider less intensive training sessions and 1 game a week :(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2269: Oct 20, 2015 01:33:23 pm
      I wish we could, but lets face reality, to keep him fresh and possibly fit for the whole season, we should consider less intensive training sessions and 1 game a week :(

I understand what you mean mate but I don't personally agree with it.  Yes we want him fit but he shouldn't be given preferrential treatment, he's either capable of doing the hard graft or he isn't and should be replaced but we can't judge that by wrapping him in cotton wool.

If he's fit and plays on Thursday but breaks down then we manage without him, like we have done for the last 15 months.  Jürgen needs to know asap who can and who can't meet and maintain his standards, never knowing right up until kick off whether his main striker will get on the pitch, never mind manage 90 minutes is no way to try and build a winning team/squad.

Remember Jurgens mantra - it's all about the team!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2270: Oct 20, 2015 01:41:57 pm

Agreed.

It seems half of it is in his head, going by the excerpt somebody posted from Gerrard's biography. I think, I have heard this elsewhere before about him.

It's a worry, to have someone earn that much money and still needing his arm twisted to play. This may not be the case now (in the present with this injury), but F**k me a knock!? I was told to run those fuckers off!
      Pa7rick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #2271: Oct 20, 2015 09:11:11 pm
      I understand what you mean mate but I don't personally agree with it.  Yes we want him fit but he shouldn't be given preferrential treatment, he's either capable of doing the hard graft or he isn't and should be replaced but we can't judge that by wrapping him in
      cotton wool.

If he's fit and plays on Thursday but breaks down then we manage without him, like we have done for the last 15 months.  Jürgen needs to know asap who can and who can't meet and maintain his standards, never knowing right up until kick off whether his main striker will get on the pitch, never mind manage 90 minutes is no way to try and build a winning team/squad.

Remember Jurgens mantra - it's all about the team!
      I feel that if Sturridge breaks down anymore this season his time will come to a end at Liverpool as good as he is just can't keep a player that plays less the half a season and under klopp with tough training methods and hard pressing from the forwards through to the defenders IMHO all I see is him breaking down time and again but I would love to very wrong as he is a top top player
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2272: Oct 20, 2015 09:27:10 pm
      Not sure why Carra is having a dig at Sturridge about work rate. For Christ sake he's been out for basically a year and still has a cracking goal record for us. Give him a chance to get some games under his belt first before slating his work rate. Wasn't that long ago he was dancing with Sturridge on the pitch.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2273: Oct 20, 2015 09:55:29 pm
      Agreed.

It seems half of it is in his head, going by the excerpt somebody posted from Gerrard's biography. I think, I have heard this elsewhere before about him.

It's a worry, to have someone earn that much money and still needing his arm twisted to play. This may not be the case now (in the present with this injury), but f**k me a knock!? I was told to run those fuckers off!

Agreed.

Brendan alluded to it occasionally with slightly cryptic digs at players who need to only to be slightly injured and that's enough to keep them out. I don't have the direct quotes but it was clear as day who he was referring to.

Of course certain injuries simply are too severe to play through but some players will play through a bad cold, others will lie in bed thinking they've got the flu. There was a test a doctor used to run, where basically he would throw money on the floor in front of someone who claimed they had the flu, if they could pick it up he was happy enough to diagnose it wasn't the flu and was much more likely a cold.

Now of course that's not scientifically proven and it could cause a bit of an issue if we put Sturridge's wages at the other side of the pitch, but if that's what it takes for him to put in the required effort rather than, as you say, needing his arm twisted to fight through the pain a little then I'd be all for it.

The lad has been playing for 12 seasons, and has managed over 16 games in the league only twice, that's horrific, only once managing to play more than 33 games in an entire season. I would be very surprised if Klopp bets much on Studge's reliability and goes for his own man in either January or the summer because you have to have a player who not only bangs in the goals but also who you can set your plays and systems around.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2274: Oct 20, 2015 10:09:05 pm
      The lad has been playing for 12 seasons, and has managed over 16 games in the league only twice

Beware the split-seasons listed on Wikipedia.

2008-09: 16
      2010-11: 13 (Chelsea) + 12 (Bolton)
      2011-12: 30
      2012-13: 7 (Chelsea) + 14 (Liverpool)
      2013-14: 29
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2275: Oct 20, 2015 10:23:47 pm
      Beware the split-seasons listed on Wikipedia.

2008-09: 16
      2010-11: 13 (Chelsea) + 12 (Bolton)
      2011-12: 30
      2012-13: 7 (Chelsea) + 14 (Liverpool)
      2013-14: 29

It's a fair cop TRM! Nice spot, it's funny I thought at 26 how the F**k has he done 12 seasons but carried on regardless, why let that stop me eh? (I thought he must have just got in a couple of mad appearances really early on (first season is only 2 and then 3 in second)) :lmao:

My misrepresentation of the facts doesn't change the essence of the post which was that I believe Daniel's personal drive to get himself onto the pitch should be pushed harder and if he continues to fail then we probably will have to just draw a line in the sand and say enough is enough. We can't afford to be paying full whack for a player who is there less than half the time. If he wants those conditions then he should accept a pay as you play contract, which I highly doubt he'd be happy with so neither should we be content with the return in terms of playing time that we get from him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2276: Oct 20, 2015 10:28:11 pm
      I don't know anyone who doesn't rate Daniel but he is like a over tuned hyper Car theat you are scared of taking out in the rain. Get him on the pitch or make him our new super sub the choice is his and his alone

Quick Reply