Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 495683 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #3588: Oct 18, 2016 12:40:41 am
      His movement and touch was poor but that wasn't my biggest concern.

He's lost his mobility. No pace and no desire to run things down. Whether that's a result of not playing every week, he has lost his confidence in his body or it's just gone because of his injuries, i don't know. But if he doesn't get back to his best in that regard he's done here.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #3589: Oct 18, 2016 08:16:11 am
      I think he doesn't fit in Klopp's squad and mentality, i think he will and should be sold in the winter, hopefully for a good sun of money and before he gets injured. Around 35 mil pounds would be a good price for him, and hopefully with the money received on him, Sakho and maybe Lucas we will get much needed signings for our team (a leftback, maybe a central defender, a central midfielder and a striker, i'm hoping for Hector, Sule, Dahoud and Lacazette)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #3590: Oct 18, 2016 10:07:54 am
      Has been a brilliant player for us but as many have mentioned it seems like the injuries have robbed him of that searing acceleration which would scare defenders.

I have never been too bothered that he doesn't press like Firmino because he can cut off the passing channels but he looking more and more unsuited to the system.

Last night the Utd Centre Backs were actually pushing up on Danny because they knew any ball over the top they could easily mop up, and also as he doesn't hold up the ball well or compete in the air then in this instance Origi would instantly have given their defence plenty to think about and had them 10 yards further back.

It didnt help that Danny is clearly out of form as his first touch was very poor, there might be an argument that the midfield was too far away from him leaving him isolated especially with Coutinho dropping into midfield but that does not take into account we looked so much more dangerous with Firmino through the middle as he started to stretch defenders and run the channels.

Really rate Danny but its looking like he will become a squad player and will he be happy with that situation?

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #3591: Oct 18, 2016 11:22:33 am
      Firmino looked far more dangerous than Sturridge last night. True.

That's because Lallana was on the pitch.

We really missed the impetus of Lallana last night, and the whole team was poor before his introduction. Go back to the Leicester game, and that's how Sturridge can play. We offered him nothing last night, and even Klopp has said as much.

Sturridge is not going to be the star player against an 11 man defence. Neither was Suarez. We always struggle against those park-the-bus defences (remember Chelsea at Anfield?!) and we could have had any striker on last night to drum up the same showing. Without Lallana the whole team was playing slow football and the passing was very poor.

In all, last night does not reflect on Sturridge. 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3592: Oct 18, 2016 11:39:49 am
      At the start of the season i was all for getting Daniel on the pitch, but as the weeks have gone by I've realised he has lost his burst of pace, he doesn't even attempt to sprint any more.

Could well be time to cash in and invest in a new forward.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3593: Oct 18, 2016 12:20:13 pm
      At the start of the season i was all for getting Daniel on the pitch, but as the weeks have gone by I've realised he has lost his burst of pace, he doesn't even attempt to sprint any more.

Agree. I've been as big a supporter of him as anybody but he is match fit and has been for sometime now. Seems that he has lost his pace and just does not fit in with what Klopp is trying to do.

You'd have to seriously consider any half decent offers in January if we can replace him.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #3594: Oct 18, 2016 12:20:34 pm

Frustrates me so much now. Really does my head in lately. I find myself just getting extremely frustrated every time he gets the ball.

He is either far too deep or just static up front.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,569 posts | 732 
      Reply #3595: Oct 18, 2016 02:49:20 pm
      I don't understand the eagerness to simply write Sturridge off.

I have to say it has been lingering for some time. It seems like people have been waiting for a run of poor perfomances to they can say 'i told you so'

I just don't get it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #3596: Oct 18, 2016 03:15:02 pm

I have to say it has been lingering for some time. It seems like people have been waiting for a run of poor perfomances to they can say 'i told you so'

I just don't get it.

Watch some games and you might get a inkling.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #3597: Oct 18, 2016 03:24:49 pm

I just don't get it.

No one's writing him off, he is a shadow of the player we knew.
      While he seems so ponderous and indecisive questions are going to arise regarding his commitment and willingness to remain at LFC with what can only be regarded as an unacceptable standard in performance levels.

The only person that can affect any aspect of the above is Daniel Sturridge. 
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3598: Oct 18, 2016 04:26:01 pm
      I think it's pretty clear to see he doesn't fit in the system we're playing.

That doesn't mean anyone is saying Sturridge is a bad player but I can't see how he will be around much longer. He isn't going to be happy warming the bench, it's another Benteke situation.

It's easy to see why as well. Sturridge is our best finisher but that's all he has. Mane is faster and better at taking people on. Firmino works harder and is probably more skillful. Coutinho is more creative, a better dribbler, better passer and has a ridiculous shot on him.

No one can justify his place in the starting XI at the moment, obviously things will change with injuries but it looks like his time with us might be up?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,569 posts | 732 
      Reply #3599: Oct 18, 2016 06:32:10 pm
      I think it's pretty clear to see he doesn't fit in the system we're playing.

He's scored goals in this system (4-3-3) 8 in 14 league games last season. He's scored goals in BR's (4-3-3)

When he was scoring goals it was "yeah he's a great goalscorer....but i dunno if klopp fancies him"

Then it was "He has a lot of injuries....why would we keep a player who get injuries"

Then it was "Klopp seems to fancy Origi more....even tho we acknowledge he's a great goal scorer......but....i dunno if he will wanna stay" (as if it's impossible for LFC to have 2 players battle for 1 position)

THEN it was "He doesn't fit into the system" (even though we've been playing 4-3-3 for the past 5 seasons and he even played slightly out wide for our best season in the league)

NOW it's "He's lost it, he doesn't fit into Kopps system, he doesn't want to play for Liverpool anymore, He's lazy, He has a huge ego, He's done here"

;D. I swear you people will curse a player who shows any slight lack of loyalty, but let a player have injuries or a run of bad games and you want to cut them off like a red-headed stepchild  :lmao: So much for YNWA.

How about we give the man a run of games before we cast him off for crying out loud. SMH
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #3600: Oct 18, 2016 07:22:46 pm
      Just about every angle of debate in here! Clearly not going well for the lad at the moment and there is no doubt he is in a bad run of form. It doesn't mean he can't get it back but you do have to wonder if he will ever quite be Klopp's cup of tea. He certainly works harder off the ball than we have seen previously but (as was pointed out a bit earlier in this thread) he ever really get there, like he is almost pretending to press the ball but isn't committed enough to go and make the tackle or throw is body at the ball the way Lallana (and the rest of the squad to be fair) does. And because of this he kinda stands out like a sore thumb, particularly if he isn't scoring because of course you forgive him for this part if he's putting the ball in the net.

Personally, I suspect he will move on either in January or in the summer. I would be sad to see him go but I've got faith in what the manager is doing. I thought we might struggle without having spent a bit more in the summer but what the fool do I know! We've been superb.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3601: Oct 18, 2016 08:22:51 pm
      He's scored goals in this system (4-3-3) 8 in 14 league games last season. He's scored goals in BR's (4-3-3)

When he was scoring goals it was "yeah he's a great goalscorer....but i dunno if klopp fancies him"

Then it was "He has a lot of injuries....why would we keep a player who get injuries"

Then it was "Klopp seems to fancy Origi more....even tho we acknowledge he's a great goal scorer......but....i dunno if he will wanna stay" (as if it's impossible for LFC to have 2 players battle for 1 position)

THEN it was "He doesn't fit into the system" (even though we've been playing 4-3-3 for the past 5 seasons and he even played slightly out wide for our best season in the league)

NOW it's "He's lost it, he doesn't fit into Kopps system, he doesn't want to play for Liverpool anymore, He's lazy, He has a huge ego, He's done here"

;D. I swear you people will curse a player who shows any slight lack of loyalty, but let a player have injuries or a run of bad games and you want to cut them off like a red-headed stepchild  :lmao: So much for YNWA.

How about we give the man a run of games before we cast him off for crying out loud. SMH

I'm not talking about him fitting in a system of 433, I'm talking about where does he fit in our current starting XI when playing 433?

Of course he can play in that formation but who does he deserve to start ahead of at the minute? No one as far as I can see. Mane, Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana have put us in the position we're in by playing the way they have recently and I don't see where sturridge fits at the moment when they're all fit. If Lallana was fully fit yesterday sturridge would of been on the bench. He's not gonna keep that up for long.

I don't think many are questioning his ability.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,569 posts | 732 
      Reply #3602: Oct 18, 2016 09:59:16 pm
      I'm not talking about him fitting in a system of 433, I'm talking about where does he fit in our current starting XI when playing 433?

Of course he can play in that formation but who does he deserve to start ahead of at the minute? No one as far as I can see. Mane, Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana have put us in the position we're in by playing the way they have recently and I don't see where sturridge fits at the moment when they're all fit. If Lallana was fully fit yesterday sturridge would of been on the bench. He's not gonna keep that up for long.

I don't think many are questioning his ability.

how do you know he's not willing to fight for his place? have you read his mind?

I swear even our own fans have been brainwashed to believe we can't have 2 players competing for the same position. It's called having a strong squad. Competition. Everything sport is about.

Klopp could have easily replaced Lallana with another midfielder. He obviously thought Sturridge could do it.

Anyways i think this is a fair article on the topic of sturridge
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/10/daniel-sturridges-liverpool-struggles-hyped-something-isnt-clicking/

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3603: Oct 18, 2016 10:01:39 pm
      Seem a lot more fluid without him playing at the moment. Seems to be no chemistry between him and the others in attack. Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane are clicking well together and seem to know each others game well. With Sturridge you never know where he will be and it's like he's playing by himself.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3604: Oct 19, 2016 01:03:52 am
      Seem a lot more fluid without him playing at the moment. Seems to be no chemistry between him and the others in attack. Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane are clicking well together and seem to know each others game well. With Sturridge you never know where he will be and it's like he's playing by himself.

friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3605: Oct 19, 2016 08:53:08 am
      how do you know he's not willing to fight for his place? have you read his mind?

I swear even our own fans have been brainwashed to believe we can't have 2 players competing for the same position. It's called having a strong squad. Competition. Everything sport is about.

Klopp could have easily replaced Lallana with another midfielder. He obviously thought Sturridge could do it.

Anyways i think this is a fair article on the topic of sturridge
      http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/10/daniel-sturridges-liverpool-struggles-hyped-something-isnt-clicking/

He's too good to warm our bench all season and at the moment if everyone stays fit that's what he will be doing. Do you think he will be happy doing that or will he want to leave and play first team football? My guess would be the latter but surprisingly no, I'm not a mind reader, it's just my opinion.

Sturridge has had such a bad time with injuries, it's not outrageous to think they could of had a serious effect on his pace and ability. Look at Falcao and Torres.

You're trying to create an argument that isn't there.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #3606: Oct 19, 2016 09:41:20 am

Couldn't have put it better mate, it's almost as if he sets himself apart from the heart of the action, a cruel parody would be that of a child sulking with a change of playtime.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,156 posts | 259 
      Reply #3607: Oct 19, 2016 03:09:41 pm
      Firmino looked far more dangerous than Sturridge last night. True.

That's because Lallana was on the pitch.

We really missed the impetus of Lallana last night, and the whole team was poor before his introduction. Go back to the Leicester game, and that's how Sturridge can play. We offered him nothing last night, and even Klopp has said as much.

Sturridge is not going to be the star player against an 11 man defence. Neither was Suarez. We always struggle against those park-the-bus defences (remember Chelsea at Anfield?!) and we could have had any striker on last night to drum up the same showing. Without Lallana the whole team was playing slow football and the passing was very poor.

That's true mate, IMO.

But I saw a moment Sturridge refuse to sprint for a through ball and waste a decent chance.
      That's atleast the second time this season. In the game against 10 men behind the ball sure we will struggle to create chance and our best striker refuse to run for the pass, that's unacceptable for me. 
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #3608: Oct 20, 2016 01:30:55 pm

You couldn't be more wrong.

Suarez was and is in a different league than Sturridge and he carried us on his back, at any moment he could produce something magical and won us the game by himself, also his workrate was incredible, Sturridge being incapable of doing any of what Suarez did.

Regarding the last statement, yes, maybe the game against Utd doesn't reflect on Sturridge (i disagree), but the games against Hull, Swansea or Leicester surely did.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,156 posts | 259 
      Reply #3609: Oct 20, 2016 01:53:30 pm

Suarez was and is in a different league than Sturridge and he carried us on his back, at any moment he could produce something magical and won us the game by himself, also his workrate was incredible, Sturridge being incapable of doing any of what Suarez did.

Regarding the last statement, yes, maybe the game against Utd doesn't reflect on Sturridge (i disagree), but the games against Hull, Swansea or Leicester surely did.

I don't think DanMann mention Luis in general mate but in the game Mourinho setup to defend with ten men behind the ball who would say it's easy to break that buses wall. Again how many goal Luis score in the game against Chelsea nearly end of the 2013/14 season (the game Stevie slipped one)? none I think.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3610: Oct 20, 2016 05:38:43 pm

Is right George . Especially work rate .

Quick Reply