Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Daniel Sturridge (Contract Expired)

Read 494685 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4002: Apr 08, 2017 07:40:25 pm

Fair enough, that wasn't the interview straight after the game though which is obviously the one Sky Sports put up.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,742 posts | 882 
      Reply #4003: Apr 08, 2017 07:43:52 pm
      Fair enough, that wasn't the interview straight after the game though which is obviously the one Sky Sports put up.

Fair enough mate - I won't hold it against you ;)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4004: Apr 08, 2017 08:02:36 pm
      So in effect your judgement is superior to the manager?
      On one thing on this occasion yes, I believe it was utter nonsense to start Woodburn. It has been proven now that Sturridge was able to start, probably play until the 60 minute mark.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4005: Apr 08, 2017 09:11:44 pm
      On one thing on this occasion yes, I believe it was utter nonsense to start Woodburn. It has been proven now that Sturridge was able to start, probably play until the 60 minute mark.

So you actually believe your own bullshit!?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4006: Apr 08, 2017 09:48:13 pm
      Yep, Klopp has just admitted as much in his post match interview.

Danny could have played, and gone a full 45 minutes "intense" football, so we are looking at about a 60 min substitution had he started in this game (given that it was not intense). That is what i would have expected for a 1st game back.

Klopp pretty much admitted that Sturridge was fit and ready to play from the start?

Quote from: Klopp
      For Daniel, half-time, it was really long in the moment in an intense game like this, so it was difficult to find the right solution.

You got it from here? Can someone actually explain if Klopp is basically admitting that Sturridge could have started from his comment?

The way I am interrupting this is that 2nd half was pretty intensive and he needed to wait for the right time to put him on?

DanMann

• 5,742 posts | 882 
      Reply #4007: Apr 08, 2017 10:24:39 pm
      Klopp pretty much admitted that Sturridge was fit and ready to play from the start?

You got it from here? Can someone actually explain if Klopp is basically admitting that Sturridge could have started from his comment?

The way I am interrupting this is that 2nd half was pretty intensive and he needed to wait for the right time to put him on?

Yes, I got it from that, but looking at it again, I can see your interpretation also. It is hard to grasp this broken English.

I understand it in the sense he seems to be talking about decisions for which players were to be starting the game - but I can see both sides. This is it in full with bold added by myself:

On whether there was any possibility of starting either Coutinho or Firmino…

"[If we had started them] as we understood it, the possibility would have then been pretty high that we would have to change after 30 minutes. We have a lot of numbers, we have different things we get from sports science and everything, and this was the moment when each alarm clock was ringing for both, if you want. If you lose 3.1 kilos [it will be tough]. You saw it in the second half – brilliant, brilliant and then [after] half an hour, it was really difficult. It was not the plan to change twice at half-time, but if we’d started them then we’d have had to [anyway]. With offensive options, it was difficult. For Daniel, half-time, it was really long in the moment in an intense game like this, so it was difficult to find the right solution. Maybe I am lucky in the end that it worked out, but I thought a lot about it and even when nobody really understands it, it was my decision. And the solution, I found it. I thought we could have played much better than we did; it was clear we wanted to bring them, but [for] only half an hour made absolutely no sense. But [if the score] was still 0-0, then they could decide the game. They had to do a little bit more work."

He seemed to be saying that from the match start for Firmino and Coutinho, they would last 20 to 30 mins, and for Sturridge, half time.  ??
      « Last Edit: Apr 08, 2017 10:28:47 pm by DanMann »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4008: Apr 08, 2017 10:31:53 pm
      Yes, I got it from that, but looking at it again, I can see your interpretation also. It is hard to grasp this broken English.

I understand it in the sense he seems to be talking about decisions for which players were to be starting the game - but I can see both sides. This is it in full with bold added by myself:

He seemed to be saying that from the match start for Firmino and Coutinho, they would last 20 to 30 mins, and for Sturridge, half time.  ??

Yeah, the way I see it, he was talking about Coutinho and Firmino at first and the difficulties in starting them and subbing them on in the first half.

Anyway, doesn't matter, we won... and I quite like the look of Sturridge there! Hope he's fit and ready for the next game!

DanMann

• 5,742 posts | 882 
      Reply #4009: Apr 08, 2017 10:36:37 pm
      Just found this, and the Echo quoted him with a slight difference which points more to my interpretation:

As we understood it there was a possibility was pretty high we would have had to change after 30 minutes,” Klopp explained. “We get a lot of numbers from sports science and this was the minute when all our alarm clocks were ringing.

“You saw in the second half we were brilliant but for half-an-hour it was difficult.

“It was not the plan to change twice at half-time. Offensive options were difficult because for Daniel (Sturridge) half time is really long in an intense game like this so it was difficult to find the right solution.

That does make it sound like Klopp is talking about the idea of playing Sturridge from the start.
      DanMann

• 5,742 posts | 882 
      Reply #4010: Apr 08, 2017 10:38:34 pm

Anyway, doesn't matter, we won...

;D

You're right that's the best part - best to leave the German/English language...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #4011: Apr 08, 2017 10:51:30 pm
      Still love him
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,406 posts | 3404 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4012: Apr 09, 2017 11:17:33 am
      Just found this, and the Echo quoted him with a slight difference which points more to my interpretation:

That does make it sound like Klopp is talking about the idea of playing Sturridge from the start.

Bollocks
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4013: Apr 09, 2017 03:05:07 pm
      No point in fellow fans arguing about this. We will see, if Sturridge starts showing the frustrations like Sakho then I will think Klopp is overlooking him. If Sturridge gets sits on the bench for the rest of the season I will think it is Klopp overlooking him again. If Klopp actually tries to use Sturridge and Sturridge looks lethargic, I will think it is Sturridge. It is Klopp or Sturridge and no good arguing about this since none of us has the facts about this.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4014: Apr 11, 2017 01:02:22 pm
      Fancy studger to have a big impact on the last 6 games.

Might be from the bench for some games, but even if its 2nd half cameos he can be a bright spark.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #4015: Apr 11, 2017 02:22:55 pm

Might be from the bench for some games, but even if its 2nd half cameos he can be a bright spark.

Let's hope so. Just a flash here and there of what he was capable of three years ago will go a long way to help us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #4016: Apr 11, 2017 03:33:21 pm

Let's hope so.  The final 30 minutes against Stoke when we were on top he didn't get a shot away so I'm not magnificently hopeful.

Always a tricky one when a player knows they're off whilst the team are trying to push on for something.  Having said that the likes of Suarez put a shift in right to the end when he knew he was moving to Barcelona.

Fingers crossed when he gets his chance in the last 6 games he ends his LFC career on a positive note.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4017: Apr 12, 2017 01:17:36 pm
      Thing I like about sturridge is he always looks happy in training and always says the right things. So I think his attitude is spot on.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #4018: Apr 13, 2017 09:12:37 am
      Thing I like about sturridge is he always looks happy in training and always says the right things. So I think his attitude is spot on.

Massivley agree with this, the only time I see him sulk is when he is on the bench or when he gets subbed off. Can't complain with that as a professional footballer should want to play every minute!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,526 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4019: Apr 13, 2017 01:06:18 pm
      Massivley agree with this, the only time I see him sulk is when he is on the bench or when he gets subbed off. Can't complain with that as a professional footballer should want to play every minute!

exactly.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #4020: Apr 13, 2017 08:58:06 pm
      Would love him to stay and start fresh next season
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #4021: Apr 13, 2017 10:40:28 pm
      Would love him to stay and start fresh next season

Have they discovered a new type of horse placenta?
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4022: Apr 15, 2017 07:44:57 pm
      So, could Lazarus ... I mean Danny, come back in for a starting place tomorrow ?
      &
      How bout if Studge comes in and plays a bunch of games to season end and does well. Is he still here next season?

Possibly.
      &
      No.  But it might bump his price up :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #4023: Apr 15, 2017 08:27:12 pm
      Thing I like about sturridge is he always looks happy ...

with £ 20,000   every single  day (including Sundays) hitting his bank account .   

I think I would be .

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4024: Apr 16, 2017 11:36:35 am
      Let's hope so.  The final 30 minutes against Stoke when we were on top he didn't get a shot away so I'm not magnificently hopeful.

Always a tricky one when a player knows they're off whilst the team are trying to push on for something.  Having said that the likes of Suarez put a shift in right to the end when he knew he was moving to Barcelona.

Fingers crossed when he gets his chance in the last 6 games he ends his LFC career on a positive note.

To be fair, it wasn't long after he came on,  that we scored twice,  if my hazy memory serves me correctly.
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2017 11:44:00 am by AussieRed »

Quick Reply