Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Champions League] Sat 1st Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid

Today is the 25th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W2 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we sell or keep Sturridge? (Summer 2017)

Sell.
      26 (25.5%)
      Keep.
      57 (55.9%)
      Not bothered.
      19 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Daniel Sturridge Player Thread

Read 296512 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge Player Thread
      Reply #4825: Sep 18, 2018 10:45:11 pm
      He was great tonight he really does look fit and if he can get game time he can only get better.
      LondonRed83
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1239 
      Reply #4826: Sep 18, 2018 11:21:56 pm
      He was great tonight he really does look fit and if he can get game time he can only get better.

Looks excellent and took his goal superbly. Watch him move into space just before the cross, proper poacher
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,533 posts | 1824 
      Reply #4827: Sep 19, 2018 12:18:13 am
      Looks excellent and took his goal superbly. Watch him move into space just before the cross, proper poacher

Was a good goal but he fluffed a few other chances, overall a solid performance though.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,963 posts | 502 
      Reply #4828: Sep 19, 2018 12:55:30 am
      Was a good goal but he fluffed a few other chances, overall a solid performance though.

I know it's been said, but I disagree.

I only saw two other chances - and as far as I have heard, these are the same two cited by many.

1) He had poor control over the ball that came in and as such had to react and run at the loose ball with the keeper coming to collect. His control was indeed poor - but this happens from time to time to players all over the pitch. That aside, he reacted quickly and crucially got to the ball before the keeper. Salah then popped it into the net. As far as I'm concerned, that goal should have stood. His follow through got the keeper, but the ball is there to be won, it's a goal scoring opportunity, and we've seen them allowed time and time again.

2) A header. Unlike the first where he threw himself in there at the crucial moment with a great header, this one was a struggle. The ball was actually behind him so he had to adjust his movement, and was unable to get enough on the ball to direct it with power. That was due to there not being enough on the cross. It was not a clear goal scoring opportunity as some have claimed.

That aside, I thought his performance was impressive. Some suggested I was looking for excuses, but I said it before the game that Sturridge will find it more difficult to operate with Mane and Salah given his lack of game time with these two. I was however spot on.

It is a fact that Sturridge plays a very different game to Firmino. Mane and Salah are not used to playing with Sturridge. They are used to the Firmino-player. Tonight you could see that the movement from Sturridge was not getting picked up by the other two, and he was struggling to get into the game at the start. There was also a late opportunity where he attempted to bend it from the edge of the box and it went well wide. Salah and Mane looked mad at him. Don't they know that is his game? He usually tries several of those shots before he gets it right.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,448 posts | 3024 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4829: Sep 19, 2018 01:57:52 am
      Great 1st header for his goal, really should have had 2 but the other one bounced off his shoulder.

Can't believe that was his first ever Champs League start for us.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,218 posts | 257 
      Reply #4830: Sep 19, 2018 02:20:30 am
      Great to see Daniel score and shut up his critics. If he can stay fit he will be huge for us this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,286 posts | 3548 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4831: Sep 19, 2018 02:27:39 am
      Again done what was asked of him. Could have had another goal but none the less set us on our way well.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,402 posts | 3202 
      Reply #4832: Sep 19, 2018 09:19:42 am
      Again done what was asked of him. Could have had another goal but none the less set us on our way well.

Only the most cynical would say he is not an asset to the team.
      Dadorious

• 8,866 posts | 1043 
      Reply #4833: Sep 19, 2018 10:08:39 am
      Pleased for him that he not only got the goal but put in an all round solid performance.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,286 posts | 3548 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4834: Sep 19, 2018 11:03:27 am
      Only the most cynical would say he is not an asset to the team.

It’s exactly one of the reasons I said we should have kept him for last seasons run in and loaned out Ings instead...got shouted down for that opinion though by one or two people. Whether people like it or not, regardless of his injuries, he’s an out and out goal scorer who’s capable of changing the outcome of a game.
      This season so far though, he’s really showing how much he’s improved in terms of his ball retention though; before he’d drop deep to try and run with it but since pre-season he’s showed he can drop deep and pick a pass or hold it up well and win us a free kick when there isn’t much on for him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,491 posts | 2999 
      Reply #4835: Sep 19, 2018 11:11:05 am
      The goal scoring and instincts of a striker are still there alas what made him frightening for defenders his pace seems to have complete gone.

He is a clever player though and is great at holding up play, winning free kicks and seems to added a bit to his game by dropping deep and trying to pick out one of the forward players.

If he can stay fit he will score goals in this team as he is still our second best striker.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,761 posts | 3409 
      Reply #4836: Sep 19, 2018 12:11:44 pm
      I'm still amazed at how good his close control is. It's a joy to watch him dance around defenders with the ball. Now when he comes up against a team that will try to beat him up, his game will wane a little bit, needs to be playing against teams that will actually play football and not bully ball.

All that said, thought he did his job well and pressed smartly and defended pretty well when needed. I hope he has a great season and can stay healthy, for his sake even more than ours. He's taken a lot of crap, it would be nice to see him get the chance to show who he feels he should be.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 948 
      Reply #4837: Sep 19, 2018 12:39:38 pm
      It is a fact that Sturridge plays a very different game to Firmino. Mane and Salah are not used to playing with Sturridge. They are used to the Firmino-player. Tonight you could see that the movement from Sturridge was not getting picked up by the other two, and he was struggling to get into the game at the start. There was also a late opportunity where he attempted to bend it from the edge of the box and it went well wide. Salah and Mane looked mad at him. Don't they know that is his game? He usually tries several of those shots before he gets it right.

I couldn't agree with this analysis more...
      From what I have seen this season Sturrigde plays better when playing with Shaqiri. Their style compliments one another.

That is why i feel is you will not see the best of Sturrigde until he is given a start with Shaqiri, and why also you will not see the best of Shaqiri.

It reminds me of the Berbatov/ Keane partnership for Tottenham, and why when we sign Keane we could not get that same level of play from him...Yes some will say that he play very well for Leeds, but again it was a different style of play...
      Look how much our style of play has change under Klopp...

People will put it down to the club being too big for them when maybe it is as simple as they are teamed with the wrong strike partners or have the wrong set of players around them to get the best out of them

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018 12:47:52 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 22,750 posts | 2677 
      Reply #4838: Sep 29, 2018 07:22:52 pm
      Thanks for the bailout..

Cracking strike..
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,753 posts | 485 
      Reply #4839: Sep 29, 2018 07:23:47 pm
      Have my babies
      Dadorious

• 8,866 posts | 1043 
      Reply #4840: Sep 29, 2018 07:29:56 pm
      Respect.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Reply #4841: Sep 29, 2018 07:35:02 pm
      fir play to him a few weeks at W.Brom has changed him .
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #4842: Sep 29, 2018 07:40:27 pm
      fir play to him a few weeks at W.Brom has changed him .
      who said loans never work out?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,963 posts | 502 
      Reply #4843: Sep 29, 2018 08:01:59 pm
      Wages, constant surgery/doctors fees. No stilability in team and just total frustration as a fan. Can't even see him scoring 10 goals. Said time and time again his quality is there for all to see but you just know when he gets tackled you cringe at the thought how long is he out this time. Owners should cash in soon as possible.

Still counting mate. 4 goals by end of September.. with hardly any game time.  ;D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,465 posts | 3527 
      Reply #4844: Sep 29, 2018 08:03:37 pm
      if he could stay fit and healthy what a bonus he could be he could actually be pivotal in us winning the league
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,635 posts | 1118 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4845: Sep 29, 2018 08:43:36 pm
      A f**king stunning goal full stop end of thank you
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,411 posts | 589 
      Reply #4846: Sep 29, 2018 10:39:19 pm
      Still counting mate. 4 goals by end of September.. with hardly any game time.  ;D

Another arkive man.  :lmao: Nothing changed, his class never in doubt like I've said many times. Being a bench warmer even he should struggle to get injured coming on for 5 mins.  ;D Great goal though.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 380 posts | 44 
      Reply #4847: Sep 30, 2018 02:02:45 am
      Brilliant goal! So happy for him, he does seem to be enjoying his football again and the squad is showing a real togetherness.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 118 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4848: Sep 30, 2018 05:21:04 am
      Hope he turns into our super sub and score freely when he is on. :)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,768 posts | 1925 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4849: Sep 30, 2018 08:21:01 am

Quick Reply